- - - - -

GOG Spring Promo - 30-50% off 10 'Top Games'

#31 The Nephilim   The Troll King CAGiversary!   398 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

The Nephilim

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:40 PM

http://www.larian.co...inedivinity.php

I think they just mention the remaster info on Impulse's page more.

#32 watcher0   CAGmeister CAGiversary!   598 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:21 PM

The version gog has was patched by Larian to fix bugs and add higher/wide resolutions.

I'm guessing that's just a standard patch for higher screen resolution options, not textures, etc. I probably won't worry about that then since the disc version can probably be patched up to do that just fine.

#33 The Nephilim   The Troll King CAGiversary!   398 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

The Nephilim

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:27 PM

Yeah it's just technical no cosmetic changes. I'm not sure if there's a disc patch or if it's only for the DD versions. I didn't read that much into it.

#34 TheKbob   FakeyBro™, Esq. CAGiversary!   1643 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:28 PM

Going just for Gothic 2. I tried the Divinity demo, but I have torchlight, titan quest, and diablo 2. The art style didn't resonate with me, too grainy and blah. Thanks for the post though.

#35 eastx   The Fighting Bomber CAGiversary!   8945 Posts   Joined 18.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:38 PM

I already had Fallout and Myst, so I just got Simon the Sorcerer. Nice little sale.

#36 animalspinners   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2052 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

animalspinners

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:29 PM

I'm guessing that's just a standard patch for higher screen resolution options, not textures, etc. I probably won't worry about that then since the disc version can probably be patched up to do that just fine.

There isn't, and never will be, a patch adding those features into the disc versions, Larian has said so themselves.

The patch also includes extra technical fixes they've done, overall it's a more polished game at this point than the disc version (which I also own). If you're a fan of Divine Divinity, it's worth it to grab it for $3, works fine right out of the box for XP / Vista.

Never used PayPal, buy I've used two Mastercards before (unfortunately, both have taken to charging a relatively small "foreign transaction fee" or something, which is ridiculous, but oh well).

Because GoG is overseas, most banks (and I guess CC companies?) charge a foreign transaction fee. I'm sure you knew that, but I figured I'd throw it out there to everyone else.

It's not GoG's fault, I have Bank of America and I think it's something like 3% of the total purchase fee I get charged in addition to prices.

I already own most of these games through Steam / GoG, but I will pick up Gothic 2 and Myst. The Gothic series is *amazing* once you get used to it... it's got a steeper learning curve than most RPG's made today, but so worth it once it all clicks.

#37 Jugglenaut   Horseshoe Goldfish CAGiversary!   667 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:35 PM

Already own Beyond Good and Evil, which is totally worth it. I own it on Steam, and there's a few bugs there, but from what I've heard GoG has fixed some. Also own Evil Genius and Fallout.

Going in for Myst, but I'm also thinking about getting Simon the Sorcerer. Anyone have high praise/horrible memories of this game? I've been on an adventure game binge lately and I'm looking for more to play.

#38 Wolfpup   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9966 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:40 PM

Because GoG is overseas, most banks (and I guess CC companies?) charge a foreign transaction fee. I'm sure you knew that, but I figured I'd throw it out there to everyone else.

It's not GoG's fault, I have Bank of America and I think it's something like 3% of the total purchase fee I get charged in addition to prices.

I already own most of these games through Steam / GoG, but I will pick up Gothic 2 and Myst. The Gothic series is *amazing* once you get used to it... it's got a steeper learning curve than most RPG's made today, but so worth it once it all clicks.

I'll give Gothic a shot!

What's lame about the "transaction fee" is none of my cards used to charge it :-/ Of course my Citibank one also didn't used to charge a *$70* yearly fee...dumped that thing fast.

#39 animalspinners   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2052 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

animalspinners

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:57 PM

Already own Beyond Good and Evil, which is totally worth it. I own it on Steam, and there's a few bugs there, but from what I've heard GoG has fixed some. Also own Evil Genius and Fallout.

Going in for Myst, but I'm also thinking about getting Simon the Sorcerer. Anyone have high praise/horrible memories of this game? I've been on an adventure game binge lately and I'm looking for more to play.

For $3, hell even $6, you really can't go wrong with Simon the Sorceror. It's a decent adventure game, and well worth the (tiny) price.

Every game on this list is a PC classic, and at $3 - $5 every game on here is a good choice.

#40 watcher0   CAGmeister CAGiversary!   598 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:05 PM

There isn't, and never will be, a patch adding those features into the disc versions, Larian has said so themselves.

The patch also includes extra technical fixes they've done, overall it's a more polished game at this point than the disc version (which I also own). If you're a fan of Divine Divinity, it's worth it to grab it for $3, works fine right out of the box for XP / Vista.

Yeah, looks like I was able to find a bit of info on the improvements for the DD remastered version only:

Graphics are not updated or improved or changed or touched. Only code has changed. You can play it at higher resolutions now. List of updates:

General:
- Feature: Allow more resolutions
- Feature: Recreated config tool
- Fixed: numerous crashes and freezes
- Fixed: encumbrance could make items disappear
- Feature: Tooltips of damage stats on stat screen improved

Skills
- Fixed: Spellbooks no longer ignore level requirements
- Fixed: All weapon expertise skills give percentile bonuses instead of static bonuses
- Fixed: True Sight damage is now actually used
- Fixed: Bow and crossbow expertise bonuses are now actually used
- Fixed: Divine Eye removes the fog of war
- Fixed: Deadly Gift's Scorpion Trap is less powerful
- Fixed: Resurrected enemies die after region swap

So it looks like I'll pick up the GOG version myself.

#41 The Nephilim   The Troll King CAGiversary!   398 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

The Nephilim

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:38 PM

Wow I just tried a Gothic II demo and man do I hate the way this controls. I was 5 seconds outside the start area and got killed by a goblin or something while I was trying to figure out their idiotic control scheme that should have been left in 1998.

Not sure if you can configure resolutions and stuff in the full game, but they certainly aren't impressing me with these awful graphics.

#42 gamez79   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   109 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:48 PM

some quick questions before i purchase

1. does this site have a download limit

2. do they add any extra drm

3. most of the games include an ingame soundtrack is it a seperate download that you can add to itunes or othe media player

thanks in advance

#43 gamez79   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   109 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:56 PM

Nevermind found the support page so far it sounds like a great site
thanks for posting the deal

#44 VidPower   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   671 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

VidPower

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:07 PM

some quick questions before i purchase

1. does this site have a download limit

2. do they add any extra drm

3. most of the games include an ingame soundtrack is it a seperate download that you can add to itunes or othe media player

I know you found the support page, but I'll still answer your questions just in case anyone else is wondering the same thing.

1. no
2. no
3. yes

#45 DukeEdwardI   Whose Queens? CAGiversary!   2203 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

DukeEdwardI

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:00 PM

Gonna grab Myst and possibly Fallout.

I'm a little out of the loop when it comes to the earlier Fallouts, can anybody recommend some good mods for it? Also, will those mods work with the modified GoG version?

#46 gamez79   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   109 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:42 PM

I know you found the support page, but I'll still answer your questions just in case anyone else is wondering the same thing.

1. no
2. no
3. yes

thanks ill probaly get fallout 1, heroes 3, and divine divinity and mabey ill get gothic 2 aswell

#47 Gimgak   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   133 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:13 AM

Gonna grab Myst and possibly Fallout.

I'm a little out of the loop when it comes to the earlier Fallouts, can anybody recommend some good mods for it? Also, will those mods work with the modified GoG version?

Just to answer, yes they will.
One thing you need to download though is the children patch. This is the European version of the game which had children removed due to the fact you can kill them, without it parts of the game are unbeatable in Fallout 2, and it's better with them in fallout 1 :).

#48 Angel.9 Rakou Cobra   Dark Queen of Sales CAGiversary!   363 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Angel.9 Rakou Cobra

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:32 AM

In for Myst and Gothic 2.

I've actually... never played Myst. I've wanted to for a long time, and at this price, how can I say no?

I know next to nothing about Gothic 2, but I bought since I'm just itching for a game like it (and I'm on a non-gaming laptop, so sometimes finding what I'm looking for is a bit more difficult than it should be). Didn't know about any control issues. But I never really mind things like that anyway.

Anyway, great deals. I might go back and look again before this sale is over. Can't recommend GOG enough to people with lower end machines.

#49 TheHelp   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   36 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:31 AM

Thanks, grabbed Myst.

#50 Lord Darkstorn   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   441 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Lord Darkstorn

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:33 AM

Heroes of Might and Magic III is one of the best games ever made - better than any of its many sequels. To add to that, it's awesome and addicting. Worth a try for just about everyone.

#51 htown01   Texas CAG CAGiversary!   1136 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:30 AM

Damn cheapo, that's a fine piece of post you submitted :applause: Thanks for the deal too :D

#52 cheapo72   Run, you pigeons! CAGiversary!   1357 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:42 AM

Wow I just tried a Gothic II demo and man do I hate the way this controls...
Not sure if you can configure resolutions and stuff in the full game, but they certainly aren't impressing me with these awful graphics.

-Have you tried disabling the 'Classic Control Scheme' in the options? See which is more to your liking.

-Gothic II supports widescreen resolutions, but requires changing an.ini file. Then bump up AA and AF and you're good to go.

-For those with the full game, you can try the IronKeep Community Patch which fixes remaining bugs/quirks. Only install the balancing portion of the patch (the installer gives you an choice) if you want tougher monsters & higher stats
Spoiler
You can also try the same group's Heights of Power content patch.

...I'm a little out of the loop when it comes to the earlier Fallouts, can anybody recommend some good mods for it? Also, will those mods work with the modified GoG version?

-You can try the Fallout 1 section of Vault-Tec Labs including the Fallout Update/Restoration mods which restores some of the cut content. Sorry, I haven't tried any of these with the GOG versions yet. (A new version of the Fallout 2 Restoration and patch was just released, FWIW.

Also, if you want to avoid the International Transaction fee, try using Paypal. When using my debit card on these transactions, I also get charged the fee. When paying via Paypal with the same card, no fee is applied.

#53 MagicChicken   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   95 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

MagicChicken

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:03 AM

In for Fallout. Never played the game and I want to see what I'm missing out on lol.

#54 Jugglenaut   Horseshoe Goldfish CAGiversary!   667 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:06 AM

For $3, hell even $6, you really can't go wrong with Simon the Sorceror. It's a decent adventure game, and well worth the (tiny) price.

Every game on this list is a PC classic, and at $3 - $5 every game on here is a good choice.

You're right. Thanks for the input.

I ended up picking up Myst, Simon the Sorcerer, and Divine Divinity (the third based solely on recommendations made here).

#55 agentghost   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5175 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:30 AM

The PC version can have some weird graphics issues and stuff. From what I've heard the console versions are better.

So how is Gothic 2? Is that one of the ones that have no mouse support and only weird awkward KB controls?

you are right about Beyond Good and Evil on PC... the issue is even more obvious when you run on x64 system (even with the supposedly updated GOG version)

#56 TestType   model fetishist CAGiversary!   341 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:33 PM

Very nicely laid out post OP, thanks.
I'm considering Simon the Sorcerer and possibly Fallout. I don't know when I'd get around to play Fallout though so I'm more interested in the extras right now, particularly the soundtracks. Can someone who already owns it on GOG provide a breakdown of how many tunes there are, format and bitrate and such? I read somewhere the "in-game" soundtrack and the original soundtrack are basically the same, except the in-game one is lower quality ripped from the game.

Edited by TestType, 04 April 2010 - 04:00 PM.

#57 gamez79   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   109 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:54 PM

in game soundtrack has 17 tracks at 192 kbps and the original soundtrack has 16 at 128 kbps and they are in mp3 format

#58 TestType   model fetishist CAGiversary!   341 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:53 PM

in game soundtrack has 17 tracks at 192 kbps and the original soundtrack has 16 at 128 kbps and they are in mp3 format

Thanks a lot :)

#59 emnmnme   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   80 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:11 PM

Gothic 2 is a ton of fun and I liked playing the mage path the best. Playing with melee weapons is screwy in that game so I suggest going down the path of either throwing fireballs or shooting arrows.

#60 Wallenstein   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   38 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Wallenstein

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:16 PM

This may have been answered, but is it possible to gift these games at the promo price? I can't seem to figure out how to gift them from the promo screen, and if you go to the regular screen for the games, they go up to the full price.