Unopened SNES in perfect condition. What's it worth?

brettdarnell

CAGiversary!
Hey everyone.

I have been holding onto an unopened Super Nintendo Entertainment System for years. It has never left the box to see the light of day and has been kept in a very clean, cool storage location in my home. I am looking to possibly sell it and I have not idea where to even start pricing it. Just thought I would see what others might value this piece of Nintendo history at.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I'm sure there is some psycho out there who would pay a few hundred for it. Unopened probably makes it rare but only collectors will be interested since there are millions of these things in the wild. List it on eBay with a super high reserve (one you'd be happy to take even if undervalued) and see what happens...

A few years ago I passed up one at a flea market for $20 (Not sure if the seal was broken but don't think it was). I knew it was a good find, but didn't pull the trigger until it was too late. To furthur punish myself I looked it up on ebay and the only sealed one went for around $180 - $200. That was at least 5 years ago. I would guess at least $250 - $300 if the right collectors are looking for it.

Thanks for that input.

That was kind of what I had in mind for a plan to sell it. I know these things are a dime a dozen overall, and only a collector would want a sealed console. Ebay will probably be my best bet.

I have Chrono Trigger, Earthbound and some other hard to find games already, but I wanted to hold onto those. I actually play those. The system on the other hand I am not too attached to.

[quote name='nddave']ONe sold for 450 shipped in the last 30 days but it had mario 3 sealed with it[/QUOTE]
Mario 3 was an original NES game.

[quote name='brettdarnell']I have listed the SNES on ebay for anyone who is interested in check it out. I hope the bidding wars ensue...

Unopened SNES Ebay Auction[/QUOTE]

Good move, I think it will go for at least $250 - $300, but there is always the chance of a bidding war moving the auction price into stupid money territory.

Also, are there any seals on the system box? I would take a picture of those if there was. I know the Wii didn't have any seals.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Also, are there any seals on the system box? I would take a picture of those if there was. I know the Wii didn't have any seals.[/QUOTE]
I don't think Nintendo has ever used "seals" on their system boxes.

[quote name='javeryh']I would change your title to include "SNES" or you might not get as many hits if people are searching.[/QUOTE]

"New" might also be another word to add.

Also, you've got "Super Nintendo" backwards. Your listing says "Nintendo Super".

Putting together my auction at 7:30 am kinda bit me in the butt. Got a little dyslexic with my verbage in the title. I can't really change that at this point so I will ride it out and see what happens. I am sure it will work out just fine.

Hmm I'd end the auction and redo it. Like someone said it says Nintendo Super. Also the item condition is blank. Plus you could try a Buy It Now for a ridiculous price and see if it sells that way first. Things sell for more with Buy It Now. The fees might be more too though not sure.

Yeah, now you're not going to get a bid from me! :)

Great item, though. The price really is not outrageous considering that it's unopened.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']I don't think Nintendo has ever used "seals" on their system boxes.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure Nintendo put seals on their Game Boy boxes. Similar to how when you get a gutted game from Game$top and they put that seal over part of the case to prevent you from opening it.

[quote name='CaptainKirk']that ended for 49.99!!!!??

STEAL!![/QUOTE]

Not sure if youre serious but no. He ended the listing himself then relisted it. When you do completed item searches ebay stupidly puts canceled listings in the mix. That pushes prices down on things so I dunno why they do that..

[quote name='Chuplayer']I'm sure Nintendo put seals on their Game Boy boxes. Similar to how when you get a gutted game from Game$top and they put that seal over part of the case to prevent you from opening it.[/QUOTE]
They might on their portable systems, but there weren't any seals on the box my NES Deluxe set, SNES, N64, or Wii.

LINK to the new auction w/ BIN of $475.

I honestly don't know what kind of return I am looking for on this auction, but I figured just throw out a crazy number and see what kind of offers come in. Worst case scenario, it sits even longer and gains more value. All in all, its a win/win.

Dude? You do it as in auction with a buy it now of something ridiculous not just a buy it now of something ridiculous now none of us have a chance of winning this.

Anyone is welcome to make an offer. I will certainly gladly review any offers anyone throws my way. It is anyone's game who wants it bad enough. You never know until you make an offer...

[quote name='VideoGamesIzFun']Dude? You do it as in auction with a buy it now of something ridiculous not just a buy it now of something ridiculous now none of us have a chance of winning this.[/QUOTE]

True but then he probably wont get as good of a price for it because the BIN option disappears once someone places a bid on it.

Anyway for future reference what I normally do (and I'm no expert this is all just based on my experience. I have about 450 feedback.) is put something up at a fairly ridiculous price for 7 + days. By ridiculous I mean I look at the highest price that one in my items condition has sold for and maybe even add a few dollars if I'm feeling good about it. Check the completed listings for that.

If it doesnt sell then I'll just do an auction if I just want it gone.

Do not drop the price during the Buy It Now time even though it will be tempting to do so. Unless you really just want to get rid of whatever it is.

Do not put that you will accept any offers in your description because then theres no way someones going to be dumb enough to actually pay the BIN price. Though there are many many dumb people on ebay so who knows.

ALWAYS mention the cash back. Bing cash back is at 8% and has been for quite some time. You are not supposed to advertise or actually use the word "bing", though many people ignore that rule, but you CAN point them in the right direction. I usually put this in all my BIN listing descriptions:

**** Possible to save 8% on this item! For more information: http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/questions/cashback.html ****

Also I always require immediate payment just because of the few assholes who decide not to pay.

Thanks for sharing the auction with other folks. I realize this is a pretty niche piece of gaming goodness. Will take the right person to want to spend money on something like this. Kinda a tricky sell when I know its a pretty valuable item, but not really sure what it's truly worth.

I would have upped the shipping a bit in order to safeguard fees. Also it would be understandable since it is a gaming unit and not just a game being shipped.

It looks like the top bidder has only 2 feedback (0% positive). Let us know if they turn out to be a deadbeat or not.

[quote name='arjuna']It looks like the top bidder has only 2 feedback (0% positive). Let us know if they turn out to be a deadbeat or not.[/QUOTE]
Lol @ that.

Even if he gives you the runaround, second place is someone w/ 100% and 122 feedback and their bid was only $3.11 lower than the winner (how did that happen, I thought increments were always $.50-$1?)

Yeah, the first guys was a flake. I just sent a message to the second place person so we will see if they want it. If not....anyone is welcome to make me and offer!

[quote name='brettdarnell']Yeah, the first guys was a flake. I just sent a message to the second place person so we will see if they want it. If not....anyone is welcome to make me and offer![/QUOTE]

Oh this is sad you have to put extra work into selling this.....
Anyways 2nd still ain't that bad !

My Odysseus Sense is tingling.

The first place bidder flaked out pretty fast. Much like the following scenario:

http://reviews.ebay.com/EBAY-SCAMS-...W-TO-IDENTIFY-THIS_W0QQugidZ10000000001398410

Some highlights:

"The seller puts up an auction, lets it run its coarse until the very end. Shortly before the auction ends, the seller places a bid on his own item with his second account and PURPOSELY outbids the other bidders!

HOW TO IDENTIFY THIS:

The most obvious way to identify this is by how quickly you are offered a second chance offer on an item. Usually the seller will offer it MINUTES after the auction ends (where as a normal second chance offer takes place a week or so after an auction ends)."

I was the second place bidder. When I placed my bid of $376.89, the max bid had been $165. Seeing as how the last auction had a buy-it-now of $475, the seller probably wouldn't have been happy if it sold for $165. If you take a look at what else the first place bidder put bids on, you'll see that he placed bids in $5 increments on an item from the same seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Mini-9-Bla...iewItemQQptZLaptops_Nov05?hash=item1c11af79c1

I received the following message through ebay from the seller:

The person who won the SNES flaked out on me. Would you still
be interested in it. I will let you have it for $350 if you are still
interested. It would not let me send you a second chance offer
for some reason. Let me know if you would be interested. It is
yours for the taking!

Full disclosure, my response:

Why can't you send a second chance offer? How would we settle this? Outside of ebay where I would not be able to leave feedback or have any kind of protection? While I can't prove it, I sense a scam. See my cheapassgamer post for details.

Also note the seller has only ever posted in this thread. Naturally I can't prove these allegations, but it all seems a bit fishy. I'd rather err on the side of caution.

And the saddest part of it all, is that the person above thinks I am taking them for a ride on this thing. I totally understand caution, and they don't know me from a hole in the ground, but still. Makes it even more work to sell this thing.

Worst case scenario.....I just re-list it and hope for a easier outcome.

Does anyone know why a bidder's ebay name would not be on the list of bidders you can send second chance offers to on an item. I know they bid on it, yet they are not on the list. Kinda strange.

Any help is appreciated.

It is sold! On it's way to it's new home as we speak. It's been a fun 16 years of looking at that SNES sitting in a box on my shelf!

bread's done
Back