An insomniac's quick reviews of some recent Wii bargain bin pick-ups

DaBargainHunta

CAGiversary!
Mad Dog McCree: The Gunslinger Collection: The video quality sucks, the acting is laughably bad, the controls are horrible (especially reloading), and the hit detection is deplorable. Yet, you know what? This is still a hell of a lot of fun. :) Even though this includes all three Mad Dog McCree games, I definitely overpaid at $20 (I bought it at Target). But I knew exactly what I was getting - a healthy dose of early '90s nostalgia. I cannot in good conscience recommend this in any way, but I can't quite hate it either. This review sums it up nicely: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/01/mad-dog-mccree-wii/

Onechanbara: Bikini Zombie Slayers: It's a completely mindless hack 'n' slash all the way. No depth, no strategy, no real thought required whatsoever - just a teenage girl in a skimpy outfit shredding the fuck out of zombies. The graphics aren't what one would call cutting edge, but they're pleasant and work well for this game. Should you buy this if you see it for $50, $30, or even $20? Well, no, probably not. But anywhere in the $5 to $15 range is worth your consideration.

I got a used copy for $6. The disc was beat up to hell, and I actually got a disc read error the first time I loaded it. I had to clean the disc thoroughly before my Wii would let me play the game. I'd normally try to return/exchange it in those circumstances, but it was a "going out of business sale" (Blockbuster), so "all sales are final." (If your Blockbuster has it, it should be priced at around $10 if the store isn't closing.)

I'm glad I got the disc to work because it's a fun game. Mindless and repetitive - good only in short spurts - but fun.

The Munchables: Pac-Man meets Katamari Damacy. From what I've played so far, I'm utterly charmed. Such a nice, fun, and - dare I say - cute little game. Very relaxing and enjoyable. A real hidden gem. It's still dirt cheap at Walmart.com ($10.98) and well worth the risk IMO. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Munchables-Wii-Wii/10909478

Spyborgs: This is a very decent little beat-em-up/hack 'n' slash. Think a mish-mash of Double Dragon and Golden Axe, but set in the future with robots. This won't win any awards or be on anyone's list of great Wii games, but it scratches an itch. I paid $8 for it on Newegg.com and it's now down to $7. (That includes free shipping.) I spent more on Wendy's tonight, and while Spyborgs is hardly the crown jewel of my collection, I at least got more value out of it than the Wendy's Bacon Deluxe I ate. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16878123026

Mushroom Men: I got this used for around $10 at Blockbuster (not the one going out of business). A review from Play Magazine quoted on the front of the box compared this to Super Mario Galaxy. Erm, no. Just no. I couldn't get into this at all. It's not a bad game, per se, but it feels so generic. I've mined these fields before - only they were much prettier, more pleasant, and more enjoyable fields in the past. If I put more time into this, I'd probably grow to like it. But you know what? fuck that. The bland graphics, shitty camera, and "been there, done that" gameplay are not worth the effort to me. That's a shame because I like to see original IPs from smaller companies, but I just don't have the patience to slog through this and see if it gets better. I'm probably being way too harsh, but my collection is failed with failed bargain bin purchases such as this and I'm a bit sick of my own lack of willpower!

[quote name='DaBargainHunta']
Mushroom Men: I got this used for around $10 at Blockbuster (not the one going out of business). A review from Play Magazine quoted on the front of the box compared this to Super Mario Galaxy. Erm, no. Just no. I couldn't get into this at all. It's not a bad game, per se, but it feels so generic. I've mined these fields before - only they were much prettier, more pleasant, and more enjoyable fields in the past. If I put more time into this, I'd probably grow to like it. But you know what? fuck that. The bland graphics, shitty camera, and "been there, done that" gameplay are not worth the effort to me. That's a shame because I like to see original IPs from smaller companies, but I just don't have the patience to slog through this and see if it gets better. I'm probably being way too harsh, but my collection is failed with failed bargain bin purchases such as this and I'm a bit sick of my own lack of willpower![/QUOTE]

This is EXACTLY how I felt about this game. I put three hours into it, and no part of the game is bad... but I felt like I've done it all before, done it better, and can do it better with different games. Generic is the right word to describe it. Nothing in the game compelled me to keep going and finish it.

bread's done
Back