IGN Preview:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/112/1126271p1.html

[quote name='IGN']
- Dedicated Servers
- Public Beta
- Host Migration
- Social Matches Returning
- Pendulum Lancer/Sawed-Off Shotgun are choices for spawn weapons
- Guardian and Submission merged into the "Capture the Leader" gametype. Must hold the leader for 30 seconds to win. Leader can struggle and see enemy positions.
- New Team Deathmatch mode: Each team begins with 20 lives, and they gradually dwindle to zero as team members are killed and re-spawn. The last team standing gets a point, and the first team to score two points wins. There are no locked spawn points, so it's impossible to camp in an open area with your back to one, unless you want a bayonet in your back.
- The Gorgon burst pistol has been re-named the Gorgon SMG and fires as an automatic now, suddenly making it the go-to gun for meatshield wielders
- Grenades can still be tagged to surfaces, but the Ink grenade and the new Incendiary grenade no longer give off warning beeps when thrown. By the time you see one, it's probably already too late
- Horde returning with "fundamental" changes
- New XP system with Ribbons/Medals
- Tap Y to "spot" enemies
[/QUOTE]

Joystiq Preview:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/07/gears-of-war-3-multiplayer-preview/

1up Preview:

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3181785

Video of MP footage from Kotaku:

http://kotaku.com/5657554/gears-of-war-3-is-getting-a-multiplayer-beta-next-year

Other Info:
- Customizable Lancers
- Locust Queen/Thrashball Cole playable MP characters

Last edited by a moderator:
figures MS would screw up the announcement... lol. I thought it was suppose to be announce by Cliff on Jimmy Kimmel live. He got to move to Monday's show but I guess Microsoft didn't get the memo.

was supposed to be announced last night on Jimmy Fallon, but Justin Beber bumped him back to Monday

Kudos to MS and Epic for keeping it this tight until now. Sure, we all speculated it was GoW3, but we also didn't know for sure, and it could have been the other game Epic is working on....until someone at MS screwed up. So close!

Oh, well. Not a big shocker but either way it would have been cooler to see it actually announced on tv versus just by finding out on the dashboard.

[quote name='lordopus99']figures MS would screw up the announcement... lol. I thought it was suppose to be announce by Cliff on Jimmy Kimmel live. He got to move to Monday's show but I guess Microsoft didn't get the memo.[/QUOTE]

I guess nobody watched Jimmy Fallon.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Whole year away, ouch. I was hoping for fall/winter 2010.[/QUOTE]

NEVER! Ha.

Halo and Gears franchises can't be released at the same time. MS must space them out enough to sell both.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Whole year away, ouch. I was hoping for fall/winter 2010.[/QUOTE]

Plenty of time to finish up those 8,000,000 XP points needed for rank 100 on Gears of War 2!

I am excited? Of course! I have been ever since I caught wind of the initial rumors a few months ago. GoW is one of my favorite if not the favorite co-op and multiplayer gaming experiences of all time.

With that said...

I am expecting Epic to care enough about their fan base to do what's necessary to provide us with a streamlined near lagless MP experience free of questionable netcode, Infinity Gauntlet esque host advantage and horrid host selection? Hell f*cking no. Given the countless number of atrocities one is guaranteed to wade through should they dare delve into Gears 2 MP any decent human being would know better than to give them the benefit of the doubt. They've got a lot to apologize for just as IW does for the glitch fest that is MW2. Thankfully if someone even half decent is host in CoD at least it doesn't require an act of God to kill them.

Gears 3 will definitely be a review then rent first for me before I shell out more cash on another game guaranteed to raise my blood pressure. If Epic doesn't get it together this time then bargin bin purchases are in my future.

Anyway... it would be nice if they plan to introduce Alex Brand to the universe as a playable character. From what I've seen thus far she exudes badassery.

This is terrible news. I was hoping it wasn't true and it came out in Nov like the rest. I know the reason they didn't want it out in Nov. I read it was because of Natal and Halo Reach. :roll:

[quote name='myl0r']was supposed to be announced last night on Jimmy Fallon, but Justin Beber bumped him back to Monday

Kudos to MS and Epic for keeping it this tight until now. Sure, we all speculated it was GoW3, but we also didn't know for sure, and it could have been the other game Epic is working on....until someone at MS screwed up. So close![/QUOTE]

Not really, I'm pretty sure they made it known on the Gears official forums that Cliff was going to announce Gears 3 this week, and that was a week or two ago.

I was hoping for that too. Not even interested in Halo reach much, but gears 3 is a must buy!!!! Cant wait for this game. Just hope they sort out the laggy online, because i really enjoy gears online.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']
With that said...

I am expecting Epic to care enough about their fan base to do what's necessary to provide us with a streamlined near lagless MP experience free of questionable netcode, Infinity Gauntlet esque host advantage and horrid host selection? Hell f*cking no. Given the countless number of atrocities one is guaranteed to wade through should they dare delve into Gears 2 MP any decent human being would know better than to give them the benefit of the doubt. They've got a lot to apologize for just as IW does for the glitch fest that is MW2. Thankfully if someone even half decent is host in CoD at least it doesn't require an act of God to kill them.

[/QUOTE]

Hopefully they do public beta on MP to avoid this.

I'm not as excited for this title as I thought I would have, but it's still welcomed nonetheless. Just bummed if the rumored 'underwater levels' are true.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']4. Player. Co-Op.

Please.[/QUOTE]

I could care less about the single player. I just want the multiplayer fixed and host advantage dramatically tweaked. At this point it is hard for me to get excited for just about any game, but if they do tweak those two things I will have something on the horizon that interests me.

I'm excited. I enjoyed Gears 1 and 2 single player. I just hope they sort out most of the multiplayer problems. Gears 2 online was fun at first but it got tedious pretty quickly with all of the issues.

Very nice, but I bet the guy(s) who didn't take down the dashboard announcement are going to be getting 40 lashes tomorrow. :rofl: :fridge:

I'm also excited for the game. I don't know how much more they could do with it though, its already so polished. Great graphics, single player, gameplay, story (they could keep continuing that, I need to finish the Gears 2 story before April), and a ton of people liked the multiplayer.

Hmmm... I wish it was coming out a little later. I was really into Gears 2 at first, but I don't think I've played it since summer 2009. I guess that $20 spent on Dark Corners was a waste.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']
Gears 3 will definitely be a review then rent first for me before I shell out more cash on another game guaranteed to raise my blood pressure. If Epic doesn't get it together this time then bargin bin purchases are in my future.
[/QUOTE]

Same here, I put quite a bit of time into the first game but the second one, not so much. The multiplayer host advantage killed it for me. Here's hoping for balanced multiplayer.

Everyone says they want games to come out earlier, but do we really want another ET?

ET needed to phone home a little later and stay in development, that game made me bleed out of my eyes when I looked at it.

I would rather have a very good, polished game that took a little while longer then a terrible game that you wasted $60 on because it came out too early.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Everyone says they want games to come out earlier, but do we really want another ET?

ET needed to phone home a little later and stay in development, that game made me bleed out of my eyes when I looked at it.

I would rather have a very good, polished game that took a little while longer then a terrible game that you wasted $60 on because it came out too early.[/QUOTE]

Well i cant talk for everyone, but when i said i wish it came out this fall/winter i just wish it was that far into production for that window of a release date. I in no way want a rushed game, especially a game like gears of war. Its one of my favorite franchises and would be willing to wait longer for them to make it that much better. I just want it sooner. ;)

Day one.

Oh, and get the multiplayer fixed. I put in over 200 hours (maybe more?) into Gears 1 MP. It was great. Gears 2? Not so much.

fix host advantage

return the gameplay back to the frenetic style of gears 1 when hilarity and mayhem were sure to ensue.

eliminate cover bouncing

take out the crappy stuff like planting 'nades...they had to go through patch after patch to fix the physics, and it's still screwed up.

eliminate leveling up and rankings and crap..the game becomes too tactical and competitive and takes all the fun away. This was the best part of Gears 1 -- people just played and had fun.

Having said all that, I expect them to tweak Gears 3 even further and try to make it tactical and screw it up completely.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']like everyone else said....

fix the mess that is multiplayer, and add more characters to MP.[/QUOTE]

I agree, also an armor customization/color options like Halo 3 would be pretty cool.

The rankings system was a bad idea because...
#1 - They required too much of the player
#2 - It came in too late
#3 - They tied achievements to it

They just need to get rid of mulitplayer achievements, period. COD4 set the standard, yet devs don't think that plays a part in the enjoyment of multiplayer.

Ive always wanted special weapon/character playlists. Either make some games where its like sniper/shotty or boomer/torque kinda like what halo 3 had. Or be more specific and make locust use hammerburst, cog use lancers, snipers use snipers, therons use torque, oh and add boomers to MP, make them built like a tank but slower. Not sure that would work though. Maybe add bigger maps so we can use vehicles? Of course with underwater level rumors, im guessing a couple maps might have underwater sections in MP. But for the most part i like the MP, just hate frags tagged to walls, and how they keep changing smokes.

[quote name='KingBroly']The rankings system was a bad idea because...
#1 - They required too much of the player
#2 - It came in too late
#3 - They tied achievements to it

They just need to get rid of mulitplayer achievements, period. COD4 set the standard, yet devs don't think that plays a part in the enjoyment of multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how someone could get that Seriously 2.0 achievement unless they cheated. That tour of Epic on the dash asked him what his favorite achievement was and he said Seriously 2.0. Who in the world has got that legit? It would take forever. I'm crazy over gears,but not that crazy... You would have to play it for god knows how long. Plus the people that reached level 100. I don't hardly believe that either. It just takes way to long. As much as I've played it I'm finally at level 49.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='LinkinPrime']I agree, also an armor customization/color options like Halo 3 would be pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

This is the last fucking thing they need to do. Revamp the game's goddamn netcode. The last game sold like crazy so I have a feeling they're going to be lazy and not change anything.

They also have to work on all the bugs/glitches. Basically, make it so multiplayer isn't broken.

[quote name='jman619']I don't see how someone could get that Seriously 2.0 achievement unless they cheated. That tour of Epic on the dash asked him what his favorite achievement was and he said Seriously 2.0. Who in the world has got that legit? It would take forever. I'm crazy over gears,but not that crazy... You would have to play it for god knows how long. Plus the people that reached level 100. I don't hardly believe that either. It just takes way to long. As much as I've played it I'm finally at level 49.[/QUOTE]

You got Seriously 2.0 by farming the last part of the game for roughly 24 hours total.

[quote name='KingBroly']You got Seriously 2.0 by farming the last part of the game for roughly 24 hours total.[/QUOTE]

Ah. I won't never get it. I'm at like 7000 out of whatever total. Which is a long way off.

Im at level 80. But yeah it takes way too long to get to level 100, and getting seriously 2.0. I still need achievements for those two. Ive been meaning to get back into the game, but i was hoping for some weekends where they give you 3 times xp or more. Do they still give out 2 times XP for guardian?

Can't wait. The first 2 in co-op are some of my all time favorite gaming experiences. And they're the only games I've played and beaten on the highest difficulty levels.

Never got much into the multiplayer though.

I never preorder, but this game, I will preorder. And if there is a midnight release, I will be there.

Gears 2 was my favorite multiplayer game ever, and I loved the (co-op) storymode as well. But Bad Company 2 has set a new high standard for inline games. Hopefully Gears 3 can top it!

[quote name='trakan']this is the last fucking thing they need to do. Revamp the game's goddamn netcode. The last game sold like crazy so i have a feeling they're going to be lazy and not change anything.

They also have to work on all the bugs/glitches. Basically, make it so multiplayer isn't broken.[/quote]
qft.

A few things i wish they would fix in gears MP. (besides the lag)

- Frags on walls....this is ont of the cheapest noob friendly way to get kills.

- Allow smoke grenades to remove a meatshield.....you have no counter move for a meatshield since they took it out, its stupid.

- Chainsaw studdering. Like when you get shot as you try to chainsaw someone, and you do the studder move, your basically helpless and have no way to defend yourself because by that time if you try to run/switch guns you are going down anyway. If they are worried about people chainsaw rushing just make the player more vulnerable when revving the chainsaw, but that studdering shit has to go.

- Chainsaw duels... they just give advantage to the host, or are usually something that never finishes because someone is usually there to shoot one of them before the duel is over. So its another cheap way to get a kill one someone defenseless.

- Last kill in matches.... when you play guardian, or any other elimination type match, they should always have the last guy die right away if the other team downs him. Im tired of this wait 2 minutes while someone bleeds out while the winning team for the round grinds the enemy, shoots in the air, or twirls their little smoke grenades like they are the shit. Just have him die immediately if he gets downed. Or make some kind of counter move for that shit, like pulling out a knife on the person when they are grinding you, being able to take revenge.

bread's done
Back