#31 rashroxx   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   31 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

rashroxx

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:35 PM

Awesome Deal Stream is Awesome

a direct game search is required though

#32 bagleyboy   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   34 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

bagleyboy

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:10 AM

Looks good, submitted a few deals myself today :)

#33 John   This post entitles you to one free Morty! Administrators   2516 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:15 PM

Added a new feature, you can now search the deal stream with the same field that you use to submit deals. If you don't include a price or a link it presumes that you're wanting to search, and it'll give you matching results from the deal stream.

#34 finalsight   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   38 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

finalsight

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:41 PM

Is it possible to have a feature where you can see your deals that have been accepted/rejected/pending/etc just to make sure that you can keep track of what you have done and preventing any accidental multiple submissions.

I'm sure i've submitted one deal at least twice today by accident.

#35 Benedict   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   106 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Benedict

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:10 PM

Why are some deals marked as expired even though they are still available to order?

I've noticed a few of mine (Bioshock 2, Bioshock/Oblivion) for example were expired even though they still were in stock and available to order.

edit: saw that the Bioshock 2 was linked to the PC version and price for 360 was up. So I understand that one.

#36 John   This post entitles you to one free Morty! Administrators   2516 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:18 PM

Why are some deals marked as expired even though they are still available to order?

I've noticed a few of mine (Bioshock 2, Bioshock/Oblivion) for example were expired even though they still were in stock and available to order.

That BioShock/Oblivion bundle is a third party Amazon seller with shipping costs not factored in - I expired it to stop people seeing it when viewing the main stream, but because I had already tweeted the link I didn't want people to get a blank page if they clicked through by removing it completely.

#37 runtime   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   12 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:32 PM

I really like the new stream (so very easy to submit content) but one thing I've noticed (at least it appears this way to me) is that the 'really great deals' don't stand out and it's easy to loose sight of them amongst the large swathes of 'deals' (emphasis intentional) being uploaded. For it's flaws the older system at least had a means of voting up (and down) deals so that especially good deals stood out. Or perhaps it was that fewer deals where uploaded, due to there being less incentive, therefore generally 'higher quality' deals bubbled up, or some combination of this and the voting system.

It's also not clear to me what constitutes a 'deal' as multiple entries of the same title and platform +/- a few pounds sometimes pence within average retail price often appear sometimes submitted just hours apart (I guess my question is are these really 'deals'? imho 20% or more off is a deal, a pound or few pence here or there doesn't really qualify, but that's just my opinion - perhaps it would be possible to setup a user filter which used price tracker data and compared the deal against that in some way to determine how good a deal is? ). Just food for thought.

Edited by runtime, 19 April 2010 - 11:43 PM.

#38 John   This post entitles you to one free Morty! Administrators   2516 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:34 PM

I really like the new stream (so very easy to submit content) but one thing I've noticed (at least it appears this way to me) is that the 'really great deals' don't stand out and it's easy to loose sight of them amongst the large swathes of 'deals' (emphasis intentional) being uploaded. For it's flaws the older system at least had a means of voting up (and down) deals so that especially good deals stood out.

It's also not clear to me what constitutes a 'deal' as multiple entries of the same title and platform +/- a few pounds sometimes pence within average retail price often appear sometimes submitted just hours apart (I guess my question is are these really 'deals'? imho 25% or more off is a deal, a pound or few pence here or there doesn't really qualify, but that's just my opinion). Just food for thought.

Have you tried sorting by popularity? I find it's been doing a pretty good job of highlighting the best deals. (Top daily deals in the nav menu, or here)

#39 runtime   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   12 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:50 PM

Have you tried sorting by popularity? I find it's been doing a pretty good job of highlighting the best deals. (Top daily deals in the nav menu, or here)

Embarresingly no! I just had a look - that is much better thanks :D If you don't mind me asking what criteria do you use to select the top daily deals? Is it clicks-thru to the store?

#40 John   This post entitles you to one free Morty! Administrators   2516 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:54 PM

Embarresingly no! I just had a look - that is much better thanks :D If you don't mind me asking what criteria do you use to select the top daily deals? Is it clicks-thru to the store?

Yep, click-through traffic.

#41 Benedict   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   106 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Benedict

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:39 AM

That BioShock/Oblivion bundle is a third party Amazon seller with shipping costs not factored in - I expired it to stop people seeing it when viewing the main stream, but because I had already tweeted the link I didn't want people to get a blank page if they clicked through by removing it completely.

So third party Amazon sellers are a no go for posting on the stream?
Coming from Sweden I always have to pay shipping and taxes from Amazon, so sometimes I have difficulty seeing if shipping is free or not for UK-CAGS. Sorry.

On a side-note. People might think that the Disney Buzz thing I posted was a bit strange for a deal. Being an old PS2 game and "kiddie".
But as I understand it, the Buzzers that is included are the original Buzz Buzzers.
When searching on Google I found out that it seems that they are compatible to the PS3 Buzz games. Although wired, and not wireless as the PS3-ones.

Edited by Benedict, 20 April 2010 - 06:44 AM.
mispellings

#42 John   This post entitles you to one free Morty! Administrators   2516 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:58 AM

So third party Amazon sellers are a no go for posting on the stream?
Coming from Sweden I always have to pay shipping and taxes from Amazon, so sometimes I have difficulty seeing if shipping is free or not for UK-CAGS. Sorry.

No worries, Amazon marketplace deals are fine - but in that particular case the total cost worked out at £16.99, which is more than some other retailers.

#43 petergallagher   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   1 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

petergallagher

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:17 PM

Any chance of getting an RSS feed of the Deal Stream?

#44 John   This post entitles you to one free Morty! Administrators   2516 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:57 PM

Any chance of getting an RSS feed of the Deal Stream?

It'll be up within a week.

#45 Delusibeta   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   22 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Delusibeta

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:29 PM

Well, I tried the new system a couple of times and it works, although I'm slightly disappointed that my other deal didn't appear (probably cheaper elsewhere or something).

[Edit] While I'm here, bug report: selecting only the PC format still leaves the 360 console, Wii console and Wii MotionPlus deals available.

#46 John   This post entitles you to one free Morty! Administrators   2516 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:34 PM

Well, I tried the new system a couple of times and it works, although I'm slightly disappointed that my other deal didn't appear (probably cheaper elsewhere or something).

90% of the deals that don't get approved are already in the system. The other 10% are either because it's not a noteworthy deal (i.e. it's the same price everywhere), it's cheaper somewhere else, or someone else has submitted it ahead of you and it hasn't been approved yet.

#47 Benedict   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   106 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Benedict

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:43 PM

Are you only supposed to submit one game/accessory to the deal stream if it is available on multiple platforms?

I have submitted a few that have been available on both PS3 and 360 and seen that most of the time only one of them are added to the stream (360 seems to be favored).

For example: Street Fighter IV FightStick Arcade Controller - Tournament Edition.
Only the 360 version showed up on the stream and the PS3 version was rejected.

If that is the case I will probably focus more on PS3 and less on 360 when searching for deals if I find a item that is on multiple platforms.

Edited by Benedict, 28 April 2010 - 02:54 PM.

#48 John   This post entitles you to one free Morty! Administrators   2516 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:56 PM

Are you only supposed to submit one game/accessory to the deal stream if it is available on multiple platforms?

I have submitted a few that have been available on both PS3 and 360 and seen that most of the time only one of them are added to the stream (360 seems to be favored).

For example: Street Fighter IV FightStick Arcade Controller - Tournament Edition.
Only the 360 version showed up on the stream and the PS3 version was rejected.

If that is the case I will probably focus more on PS3 and less on 360 when searching for deals if I find a item that is on multiple platforms.

It was approved - http://www.cheapassg...p?streamid=1113

You can add both 360 and PS3 versions as separate submissions, and you'll get twice as many tickets for it - often people will submit a game for both platforms and while the 360 version is the cheapest around, I'll have found a better price for the PS3 version. (Which is why one goes through and the other one doesn't.)

#49 Benedict   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   106 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Benedict

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:05 PM

It was approved - http://www.cheapassg...p?streamid=1113

Thanks, I see it now.
I didn't think it went through since there is a 3 hour gap between the two deals. And I resubmitted it about an hour ago. So it seems the resubmitted deal was OK.

I Would have bought the stick myself if the delivery cost wasn't about £30 for shipping it to Sweden...

#50 John   This post entitles you to one free Morty! Administrators   2516 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:08 PM

Ah, it was probably my mistake then. After I remove a deal I have to switch it back to "accept" mode manually, and occasionally I miss that and accidentally end up deleting the wrong deal.

#51 toythatkills   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   32 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

toythatkills

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:12 AM

A quick question. Last week's winner, Bobfoc, seems to be posting pretty much everything. Nothing against the guy, I mean, it's great that the deals are there, but can he win the raffle again?

It just seems to me that the "raffle" system is an advantage to people that have scripts to notify them of price drops on retail websites, so they can get 50% or more of the tickets in a week, whereas normal folk have very little chance at all in comparison because one person is "stealing" all the deals before people even see them in normal use.

Some incentive for posting deals is a great idea, but I think it might need a bit more balance for regular users.

#52 John   This post entitles you to one free Morty! Administrators   2516 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:05 PM

Yep, it's possible to win the raffle more than once.

There are a few things I've thought about doing to make it possible for more casual users to stand a chance:
- awarding additional tickets based on deal popularity
- giving users the ability to win an extra few tickets if they better an existing deal
- weighting the first few ticket submissions so you earn extra tickets for the first few submissions

It's tricky because we don't want to put off the people who post a lot of deals, but it's a shame that a person who submits one excellent deal per week gets little recognition for it. Any thoughts?

Also, I was thinking about maybe running a second weekly raffle where you can earn a ticket every 12 hours just for visiting the deal stream - that way if you're more of a browser than a poster you're in with a chance.

#53 Benedict   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   106 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Benedict

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:27 PM

It's tricky because we don't want to put off the people who post a lot of deals, but it's a shame that a person who submits one excellent deal per week gets little recognition for it. Any thoughts?

Maybe as you said yourself, somehow connected to how popular the deals are?

And maybe an extra ticket for first-time posters on the stream? So they get two tickets instead of one the first time they post a deal?

Reason for me hunting offers and posting them here is that I've done that a lot on other game-sites, NeoGAF and Swedish sites.
But since discovering CAG, I have abandoned them more and more and concentrating on posting my finds here.
Buying games, movies and such from the UK to Sweden is way cheaper than buying them in Sweden, thanks to the value of the £ compared to the Swedish currency Krona (SEK).
A game in Sweden cost about twice or three times more than ordering from the UK.

I'm unemployed at the moment as well, so I have time to "hunt", but will start a new job hopefully next week.
My presence and activity here will probably drop quite a bit then.

#54 runtime   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   12 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:27 PM

Hi John,

Any chance you could add a top daily deals RSS feed?

Thanks

#55 Benedict   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   106 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Benedict

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:32 PM

I have 10 deals pending moderation since yestarday and seen other deals coming up on the stream since then. What happened to my deals?

#56 John   This post entitles you to one free Morty! Administrators   2516 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:41 PM

I have 10 deals pending moderation since yestarday and seen other deals coming up on the stream since then. What happened to my deals?

It's a known issue, working on it. New deals submitted won't be affected, still trying to clear the backlog though.

#57 kehna   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   12 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:45 AM

What about deals that you had pending which are no longer pending? The ones I submitted in particular SSF4 Fightsticks are as cheap as you can find at the moment but I don't see them on the stream.

#58 JohnWordCena   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   43 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

JohnWordCena

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:00 PM

Got 35 pending deals :D Seems most of them are the cheapest available ;)

#59 Niode   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   3 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:02 PM

A quick question. Last week's winner, Bobfoc, seems to be posting pretty much everything. Nothing against the guy, I mean, it's great that the deals are there, but can he win the raffle again?

It just seems to me that the "raffle" system is an advantage to people that have scripts to notify them of price drops on retail websites, so they can get 50% or more of the tickets in a week, whereas normal folk have very little chance at all in comparison because one person is "stealing" all the deals before people even see them in normal use.

Some incentive for posting deals is a great idea, but I think it might need a bit more balance for regular users.

Personally I'm sick of that guy posting crap deals. Especially when I have submitted a better deal and mine get's rejected!!

He has done nothing but submit crap deals for weeks now, I can't believe that guy even won the damn raffle when the vast majority of his deals are just complete crap. Take a look at the Super Street Fighter IV deal he posted. I got the game for less than that on PRE ORDER from Tesco Entertainment weeks ago. Just utter crap deals, please please please at least moderate what he posts as being an actual deal instead of just posting anything. He's seriously just clogging up the stream and stopping other possible deals from getting through.

I posted the TE sticks on the Dealstream at £70 when Shopto.net notified me they had came back in stock, it got ignored. A lot of people would have missed out on that. Instead they got Red Dead Redemption posted for the super low price of RRP... Give me a break.

Edited by Niode, 22 May 2010 - 09:03 PM.
grammar

#60 kehna   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   12 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:27 AM

I posted the TE sticks on the Dealstream at £70 when Shopto.net notified me they had came back in stock, it got ignored. A lot of people would have missed out on that. Instead they got Red Dead Redemption posted for the super low price of RRP... Give me a break.

I just posted the black and white Super edition sticks for both xbox360 and PS3 and all 4 of them got ignored. There isn't even another deal up for these sticks and if £99.85 isn't a 'deal' when they are £129.99 retail then I don't know what a deal is apparently.