Recommendation for decent headset for 360 and/or PS3

pROvIs

CAGiversary!
Feedback
190 (100%)
Recommendation for decent headset

I have been looking for a while for a decent headset for 360 and/or ps3. Any Recommendations?

For my 360 I currently use an original launch day 360 standard headset. It works fine without major issues but its volume good be better. My problem is I know it will break or stop working one day and I would like an alternative. The problem is I am in love with being able to mute and control volume at the controller and newer models don’t have this feature (They have in-line control).

I understand I’m not going to see too many options molded to the controller but there has to be something that is easier to access then finding the control in the line. Even if it is right down by the plug but loose. This is a must have for me. My girlfriend talks to me quite a bit while I’m gaming and I don’t always like broadcasting that while playing a game or disturbing others.

I’ve seen some high quality gaming headsets but they all seem to lean towards having headphones built in or rather they have mics built into headphones. I don’t need game audio, only voice and I don’t want anything big over my ears because I can’t hear things around me.

For the PS3 I don’t do much voice chatting at all because the only solution I have is the BT mic that came with Warhawk. I’m not a huge fan of Bluetooth headsets because they tend to sound tinny or have a hard time picking up voice in frantic moments. They also aren’t very easy to mute and I have to worry about keeping them charged.

Has anyone found any solutions to either of these issues? Price isn’t as much of a concern as functionality and ease of use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try out a Tritton AX720.
List of cons: It's wired. Up to 12ish feet. You have a hub (small little box) that connects via USB to your Xbox (and PS3 and computer). The hub needs to be turned on if you want to use the headphones. Has an AC adapter. Headphones are kinda heavy. MSRP $120-140.
Pros: No need for batteries. Has Dolby Digital Sound (You can hear exactly where your enemies are when playing multiplayer). Amazing sound. Looks cool (debatable). The hub has connections for two headphones. Can be used for the PS3, 360, or computer. Can mute your tv and play late night without having to disturb the people living around you (AKA has game audio!).

[quote name='EarthBound Sucks']Try out a Tritton AX720.
List of cons: It's wired. Up to 12ish feet. You have a hub (small little box) that connects via USB to your Xbox (and PS3 and computer). The hub needs to be turned on if you want to use the headphones. Has an AC adapter. Headphones are kinda heavy.
Pros: No need for batteries. Has Dolby Digital Sound (You can hear exactly where your enemies are when playing multiplayer). Amazing sound. Looks cool (debatable). The hub has connections for two headphones. Can be used for the PS3, 360, or computer. Can mute your tv and play late night without having to disturb the people living around you (AKA has game audio!).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion. Those headphones seem nice but not quite what I'm looking for. The cord from my AV Center would be horrible (over 10 feet from my couch to TV and I have two large dogs) and I just want voice chat. I don't want anything too bulky because I can't hear things around me and they get uncomfortable after a while. I guess I'm being picky but I feel like this would be a fairly common need. I need a good voice headset but not surround sound headphones etc.

Or look at Turtle Beach X31.
Cons: Uses 2 AAA batteries. Ears get hot over long periods of time. MSRP $100. Audio can get distorted sometimes. Game audio button on the back of the left ear (if your laying your head on a pillow and move, your audio may go up and down).

Pros: Just like Microsoft's headset that comes when you by an Xbox (meaning it's only wired to the controller). Has a hub that broadcasts game audio up to 20-30 feet. Adjustable mic.

Yeah I had to return the Trittons because I play 13 feet away from my TV. But DAMN did I like those headphones. If you have two big dogs then yeah, avoid the Trittons.

Thanks again. The problem with all of those is they are built to replace my home theater set up. I don't want/need in game audio. The extra bulk of the headphones that would be required with that makes these all look very unattractive. If I wanted headphones as well that would make sense but I just want voice.

Why not try the wireless 360 headset? I bought mine for $40 off of Amazon and don't regret it one bit. It's a great headset if you ask me. Very easy to mute and very easy to adjust volume.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Why not try the wireless 360 headset? I bought mine for $40 off of Amazon and don't regret it one bit. It's a great headset if you ask me. Very easy to mute and very easy to adjust volume.[/QUOTE]

I've heard mixed things about the wireless headset. I know a few people with them and we always here echo/reverb from their side. Also I'd rather the mute be on the controller.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Why not try the wireless 360 headset? I bought mine for $40 off of Amazon and don't regret it one bit. It's a great headset if you ask me. Very easy to mute and very easy to adjust volume.[/QUOTE]

because its a poorly made piece of garbage, i have had one, i have friends that have one, and they have all died, for the MSRP of it, your better off getting the cheapest turtle beach headset

[quote name='pROvIs']Recommendation for decent headset

I have been looking for a while for a decent headset for 360 and/or ps3. Any Recommendations?

For my 360 I currently use an original launch day 360 standard headset. It works fine without major issues but its volume good be better. My problem is I know it will break or stop working one day and I would like an alternative. The problem is I am in love with being able to mute and control volume at the controller and newer models don’t have this feature (They have in-line control).

I understand I’m not going to see too many options molded to the controller but there has to be something that is easier to access then finding the control in the line. Even if it is right down by the plug but loose. This is a must have for me. My girlfriend talks to me quite a bit while I’m gaming and I don’t always like broadcasting that while playing a game or disturbing others.

I’ve seen some high quality gaming headsets but they all seem to lean towards having headphones built in or rather they have mics built into headphones. I don’t need game audio, only voice and I don’t want anything big over my ears because I can’t hear things around me.

For the PS3 I don’t do much voice chatting at all because the only solution I have is the BT mic that came with Warhawk. I’m not a huge fan of Bluetooth headsets because they tend to sound tinny or have a hard time picking up voice in frantic moments. They also aren’t very easy to mute and I have to worry about keeping them charged.

Has anyone found any solutions to either of these issues? Price isn’t as much of a concern as functionality and ease of use.[/QUOTE]

I have used the Turtle Beach X1 and X31. Both have a switch to mute on off (I have the same problem with my wife that likes to talk to me when I play-She hates it). The wired ones are better quality IMO, but the wires drove me crazy. They were always getting tangled. I sold that and bought the wireless ones. I will recommend this product to anyone. They will also improve your game play quite a bit. You will be able to hear distant noises and people walking up to you, and know from which direction.

[quote name='xscorpionx']I have used the Turtle Beach X1 and X31. Both have a switch to mute on off (I have the same problem with my wife that likes to talk to me when I play-She hates it). The wired ones are better quality IMO, but the wires drove me crazy. They were always getting tangled. I sold that and bought the wireless ones. I will recommend this product to anyone. They will also improve your game play quite a bit. You will be able to hear distant noises and people walking up to you, and know from which direction.[/QUOTE]

i hate when that happens in MW2

[quote name='xscorpionx']I have used the Turtle Beach X1 and X31. Both have a switch to mute on off (I have the same problem with my wife that likes to talk to me when I play-She hates it). The wired ones are better quality IMO, but the wires drove me crazy. They were always getting tangled. I sold that and bought the wireless ones. I will recommend this product to anyone. They will also improve your game play quite a bit. You will be able to hear distant noises and people walking up to you, and know from which direction.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm not too concerned with the in game audio because I have a 7.1 channel receiver. As far as it improving gameplay, it might but not like it would if I was using TV speakers. I just really dislike large headphones and don't really care about noise level as we live alone. I just don't want anything covering my ears so I can't hear things around me or people talking to me and I don't want the additional heat from a full size set of headphones.

I have been looking for something like this for a while and I have pretty much come to the conclusion that there just isn't a good option outside of the original headset. I just can't understand why. It seems like there would be a large market for something like this but all the 3rd party voice headsets seem to be sub par from the original design (pre chat pad). The only problem I have had with it is volume running a bit low and occasionally static requiring an unplug/replug.

bread's done
Back