Starcraft 2 Beta Codes at GAMESTOP with Pre-order

Apathetic-Irony

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Gamestop is giving out Starcraft 2 Beta Codes when you pre-order Starcraft 2. This means you can get into the beta for $5.

Codes are still going for over $80 on ebay, so if this doesn't catch on, you could probably turn this around for profit too.

I just did this about an hour ago.
[quote name='evenfl0w']It's on the main page of Gamestop's site now.

Reserve StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty and receive an invitation to the StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty beta. Available online and in-store while supplies last. Once you recieve your Beta Code your order cannot be canceled.
Online Customers (web delivery): A code and instructions on how to join the beta will be emailed within 1 business day of when your order was placed.

In-Store Pickup Customers: Please wait 24 hours after your order is placed, then proceed to your store to pick up your beta code.

Store Customers: A beta code will be printed on your pre-order receipt.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Hydro2Oxide'][quote name='help1']If I preorder this in store, can I cancel it later?[/QUOTE]No. After you get the beta key you're locked in but it only costs 5 dollars.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
just called my gamestop and they said they are not doing any beta for pre order...will probably try another gamestop.

(i assume it's okay to call in this kind of situation?)

Also, was it a card they gave you, or was it on the receipt from the preorder?(similar to what GS did with the Splinter Cell SPAS codes?)

How much do you want to bet that GameStop employees will hoard the codes for massive profit? (If true, that is...)

[quote name='saosin42']How much do you want to bet that GameStop employees will hoard the codes for massive profit? (If true, that is...)[/QUOTE]

You must have some shitty GameStops nearby.

Any confirmation on this yet? The website says nothing.. I pre-ordered online a week or two ago and didn't get an e-mail or anything. Very interested if true. Guess I'll start calling around...

[quote name='Visitor9x']Any confirmation on this yet? The website says nothing.. I pre-ordered online a week or two ago and didn't get an e-mail or anything. Very interested if true. Guess I'll start calling around...[/QUOTE]

x2 I just checked my e-mail and nothing kinda wish this is true just cause there is no release date on it yet lol.

As far as I'm aware, this is in-store only. When I made my pre-order today (after hearing about this), the employee pulled out a sheet of paper that looked like a printed email. On it were at least a dozen beta codes. He then copied it down onto my receipt for me.

[quote name='Bervda']You must have some shitty GameStops nearby.[/QUOTE]

I'd say his experience with gamestop has been consistent with mine. I remember when the special edition of Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence started selling for hefty sums on ebay my Gamestop mysteriously couldn't fulfill the pre-order I had made months earlier. The days of full digital distribution can't come soon enough.

edit:Oh yeah, pre-ordered this online at gamestop the day Blizzard announced the special edition. Haven't gotten anything in my e-mail yet.

It's on the main page of Gamestop's site now.

Reserve StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty and receive an invitation to the StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty beta. Available online and in-store while supplies last. Once you recieve your Beta Code your order cannot be canceled.
Online Customers (web delivery): A code and instructions on how to join the beta will be emailed within 1 business day of when your order was placed.

In-Store Pickup Customers: Please wait 24 hours after your order is placed, then proceed to your store to pick up your beta code.

Store Customers: A beta code will be printed on your pre-order receipt.

[quote name='evenfl0w']Once you recieve your Beta Code your order cannot be canceled.[/QUOTE]They've been doing a bit of this recently with pre-orders.

I guess people will have to ride out the pre-order to the end before they can return it.

[quote name='J7.']When does the beta start? I thought they were doing a beta right now - guess that's the closed one.[/QUOTE]

What're you talking about? This gets you in to that beta :lol:

I thought I heard there was a closed beta or something that was very small before the major one.
edit: this says the closed beta started in February of this year http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...ta-begins-this-month-game-coming-mid-2010.ars

I also found this for the official beta on Battle.net:

When does the StarCraft II beta test start?
We don’t have an exact start date to share at this time, but note that when it does begin, we will be adding additional regions to the beta test in phases. North America, Australia, and New Zealand will be the first regions to begin beta testing, and other regions will follow afterward in phases. We will have more information to share about all of these phases in the future.

The reason for setting up the beta in regional phases is that it takes time to set up and configure our testing infrastructure in each area. Bringing up one region at a time makes the overall testing process for StarCraft II and Battle.net more efficient from a development perspective, making the test more effective, and allowing us to complete the game more quickly than if we attempted to start the beta test in all regions at the same time. We will share more information about the start dates for the beta in different regions at a later date.

son of a bitch, i pre-ordered it last week with the 25OFF+10AUTO and i didnt get a beta key thats ****d up.

Does anyone know if they will be sending codes to those who ordered online before the announced this? Maybe a store will let me show them a receipt of my purchase and let me get my code that way?

[quote name='aznboovie']son of a bitch, i pre-ordered it last week with the 25OFF+10AUTO and i didnt get a beta key thats ****d up.[/QUOTE]

lol, i wouldn't panic. i'm just going to assume that you'll get an email tomorrow since gamestop JUST put the whole beta code thing up now. if not, email them and ask what's up.

[quote name='ster']lol, i wouldn't panic. i'm just going to assume that you'll get an email tomorrow since gamestop JUST put the whole beta code thing up now. if not, email them and ask what's up.[/QUOTE]
Sorry im just a die-hard SC fan.

I ordered from gamestop using the 25off and value shipping.

I'm wondering if it's be possible to change my shipping to the free 3 day shipping without it removing my discount.

I believe if you ordered last week or earlier you will still get the code as they took away the ability to cancel my order today, which they have no right to do unless they're giving me a bonus. Check your email tomorrow.

If they give you the code then they do have the right to not let you cancel. I notice you said without bonus so likely you don't' care if they give you the code and that's cool, but anyone who wants to cancel, you may be stuck as shrike said and then just have to return it when you get it. Getting the code, selling it and then canceling is kind of shady imo.

Hmm someone posted a question on one of the ebay auctions asking about it being a physical card or if it was a bonus sort of one that they had previously bought that just entered them in to some kind of whenever blizzard wants to let you in sort of thing. Has anyone gotten one of these and used it and can confirm that it allows you instant access or is it for future use?

You have to sign up for an account on Bnet.com and apply the key. Thats what their doing to all of their game product now, as long as u have the key and register under ur account u can just download off the web and play.

couldn't get the free 3 day shipping to work, but ordered it anyways since they don't have the 5 dollar surcharge anymore...now I gotta figure out how to recover my abandoned battle.net account

Thanks OP I would never have known since I have gamestop mails sent to a spam box :eek:

I got my code and called them up and get them to switch from the value 5-10 day shipping to the free 3 day. Good news to wake up to.

[quote name='Ralsar']Pre-ordered the collector's edition, no key yet[/QUOTE]

Same, today will be brutal for me having to wait.

Pre-ordered CE, still have not gotten a key = /.

Tempted to go to my local GS and just pre-order a copy so I can get the key in hand.

bread's done
Back