Professionally Resurfacing CDs / DVDs

Check out your local video stores if you still have any around. I know GameCrazy and Family Video used to do them. Hollywood Video and Blockbuster might as well, but who knows if any are still around. Gamestop does not, at least none of the ones I've been to anyways.

Also - if you find a place that still does this make sure the person doing it knows how to use the machine. I had a few sort of rare Xbox games destroyed because the person doing it did not put enough of the cleaning compound in the machine. The heat messed up the center of the discs and the xbox would no longer read them.

[quote name='InvaderZim']Also - if you find a place that still does this make sure the person doing it knows how to use the machine. I had a few sort of rare Xbox games destroyed because the person doing it did not put enough of the cleaning compound in the machine. The heat messed up the center of the discs and the xbox would no longer read them.[/QUOTE]

Another good call ... condsidering the games are Tatics Ogre, Guardian Heroes, Digimon World, and Legend of Legaia. Good handfull of rare games heh

You might want to check out a local music store; I know I've seen an ad on craigslist Baltimore where they buy even messed up CDs--one's that are worth the $3 resurfacing cost that is.

I would get a kit and do it yourself if you have a bunch of disks. The only places near me that do that charge $2 per disk and sometimes the game itself isn't worth the cost to fix it. You can get a disk repair kit for $25 from Best Buy and that's about the cost of 12-13 fixes.

[quote name='Andami']I would get a kit and do it yourself if you have a bunch of disks. The only places near me that do that charge $2 per disk and sometimes the game itself isn't worth the cost to fix it. You can get a disk repair kit for $25 from Best Buy and that's about the cost of 12-13 fixes.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure those things do more damage than they help. But maybe it's changed since I used one like 5 years ago.

You can also try a local mom & pop used game store if you have any near you. Those places pretty much have to have a resurfacing machine to keep their business viable. They'll usually do customers' discs for a fee or even free if you're a regular.

Higher-quality Pawn Shops (choose one with multiple locations) will usually have a machine and can do it for $1-$2 per disc.

I used wefixdvd.com for my Mass Effect 2 Collector's Edition Disc 1. My son scratched the heck out of it and when I got it back it was like the scratch never happened.

Although, it cost around $7 for everything, I didn't want to take the chance of screwing over the disc forever. Works like a charm now.
Also, if they can't repair it, they will send it back with a refund (at least that is what it says on the site).

bread's done
Back