The Official CEX thread- webuy.com thread

Stevothepro

CAGiversary!
Okay i know some people will hate me for exposing this little secret, but there is a wonderful little place, actually there is 7 total US stores. 5 in NYC(wall street, soHo,Astoria, 14th street and 50th and 8th) 1 in philly and 1 in boston called CEX or webuy.com. all goods sold and bought here are SECOND HAND(used)items. They sell pretty much everything electronics from Ipods, ipads, laptops, Cameras ,Hard drives DVDs, Blu Rays and games. theyre like a pawn shop except they have guidelines and generally give AWESOME Cash/credit for items. Its not all great though. Prices fluctaute DAILY pretty much depending on their supply and what the market is , but generally theyre are pretty reasonable in both terms of price on most items ESPECIALLY games , blu rays and DVDS. its not all good though , as most of the time they dont have cash, as this is NYC were talking about, its the home of the hustler, and sometimes the line goes out the door with people trading in everthing from mint condition Iphones to Insignifigant DVDS(slow transaction time another problem). Theyre online is up and running too, you can actually ship your items out to them and from what I'm told the turnaround time isnt too bad. all games must have original artwork and case, Ie white wii case with wii game, green case for 360 etc, clear rectangular case for PSp etc Also the buying online option is much more smooth now and only paypal is accepted. shipping is only 5.99 too no matter how much you order(take advantage of this now as it is sure to change in the future!). ive placed several orders and always received my items within 2-3 bus. days.

the reason why im sharing this with you guys is part guilt. Ive made so much money off this company , I kinda feel bad and I really want to see them succeed. they are WAY WAY WAY more on top of things now but in the past they have given RIDICULOUS TRADE IN VALUES for TERRIBLE GAMES. here is a few of the games ive flooded their stores with and both the trade in values they gave me
sam and max season 1 wii-$29/33 credit
tales of desperaux wii-21/24
kung fu panda PS3-21/24
Ninja reflex wii-24/28
monkey king wii-19/24
ninjabread man-16.19
rise of argonauts PS3 31/35
NAKED BROTHERS BAND WII-12/14-probably my fave, only because i had a bunch from GS and thought they were worthless
tamogocthi party on-12/15
legend of the dragon wii-10/12
Brutal legend ps3/360-$15-$22 up until about 4/1

there wre so many others but most of these games THEY NOW SELL for like $5-$10. I know they lost alot of money on these crappy games but the money was too easy, especially when the 50th and 8th store has a BBV directly across the street and the other stores have maybe 10-120 surrounding gamestops. they do still have some good trade in games like Grim grimoire ps2 still egts you Like $19/22 credit, Just Cause 2 and COD MW2 are $35 cash/$40 credit. Oh and unlike Evil gamestop they do make the distinction between regular and special editions. ive personally bought from them assassins creed 1 and 2 collectors editions. there are also good deals to be had from a buying perspective. FF 13 is $35 for the PS3 fire emblem Wii is $20, SSBB is $28, I also recently purchased transformers 20th anniversy DVd for $3, karaoke revolution american idol wii ad one piec for the wii for $18 and the harry potter blu ray collection for $45.if anybody has any questions feel free to ask as I am there almost daily and I know alot about the stores as I literally have received thousands of dollars in cash/credit from them(the actual amount is on file, as all transactions are kept in your history but I never wanted to know, one day I will ask).

The CEX guys do visit CAG, just saying man, gotta keep this on the DL!!!

But yeah, I've made lots of money from them over the past couple of years even though their TIVS aren't nearly as good as before.

There are still at least 4 good Gamestop flips they have from games that I use.

I dont care, Ive already made a boatload off of them and besides I really dig the company itself and the emplyees are really cool and I still have $1000 in credit, 2 IBM/Lenovo laptops, a 60gb and a 80 GB PS3 and a wii system, and a MASSIVE ps3 collection-53 games( all of which im selling except the cheaper model laptop, NYers PM if interested, the PS3 collection is on ebay and I already have a $1200 offer). BTW, care to PM me your GS flips, Lol, seriously...could you tho?

OK, in case anybody is still paying attention to this thread...
I placed an order with webuy.com on April 27, 7 business days ago, and they still have not shipped my order. I have e-mailed them twice this week about it, including today, and no one has even gotten back to me about it. Anyone else have a bad experience with this company ? Thanks in advance....

All my experiences with this company have been of the in-store variety and they have been generally good experiences (except for those times when I was trying to trade in some games for cash and they were all out :roll:).

I've been tempted to buy some stuff off of their site, but I just don't quite trust their inventory tracker. I mean, I see that the tracker says that one of their stores has a game in-stock so I go there and they don't have it, but the online tracker would still say the store has it even days later.

I also find it annoying whenever one of their stores has to shut down for forgetting to renew their business license (at least that's what they claim :roll:). It's happened three times already at three separate NYC stores (Wall Street, Astoria and currently 14th Street).

[quote name='Stevothepro']sam and max season 1 wii-$29/33 credit
tales of desperaux wii-21/24
kung fu panda PS3-21/24
Ninja reflex wii-24/28
monkey king wii-19/24
ninjabread man-16.19
rise of argonauts PS3 31/35
NAKED BROTHERS BAND WII-12/14-probably my fave, only because i had a bunch from GS and thought they were worthless
tamogocthi party on-12/15
legend of the dragon wii-10/12
Brutal legend ps3/360-$15-$22 up until about 4/1

there wre so many others but most of these games THEY NOW SELL for like $5-$10. I know they lost alot of money on these crappy games but the money was too easy, especially when the 50th and 8th store has a BBV directly across the street and the other stores have maybe 10-120 surrounding gamestops. they do still have some good trade in games like Grim grimoire ps2 still egts you Like $19/22 credit, Just Cause 2 and COD MW2 are $35 cash/$40 credit. Oh and unlike Evil gamestop they do make the distinction between regular and special editions. ive personally bought from them assassins creed 1 and 2 collectors editions. there are also good deals to be had from a buying perspective. FF 13 is $35 for the PS3 fire emblem Wii is $20, SSBB is $28, I also recently purchased transformers 20th anniversy DVd for $3, karaoke revolution american idol wii ad one piec for the wii for $18 and the harry potter blu ray collection for $45.if anybody has any questions feel free to ask as I am there almost daily and I know alot about the stores as I literally have received thousands of dollars in cash/credit from them(the actual amount is on file, as all transactions are kept in your history but I never wanted to know, one day I will ask).[/QUOTE]

The games that I've bolded I have taken part in. It was glorious, especially with the Hastings B2G1 for $1 sales back before they raised their shipping. I would buy 6+ copies for around $5 and trade them in for a $15 profit for each game.

One of my favorite flips was Samba de Amigo for the Wii when Toys R Us had them for clearance for $5 (And they still do! At least 20 copies still at the Times Square TRU) and the TiV at EX was something crazy like $18 cash/$21 credit (right now it's $2 cash/$3 credit :roll:) . I went to the Times Square TRU and saw a whole rack of Sambas (15+). I buy 10 and flip them all that day, 2 or 3 at each EX store. I go back to TRU a few days later and now there are 2 full racks of Sambas!, I grab 10 more and do it again. Easiest $200 I've ever made and I didn't have to wait for the games to be shipped to me and worry about the TiVs dropping.

I actually have a spreadsheet with all the flips I have made to EX since last summer and I've calculated that I've made over $3K in pure cash profit from them (I usually only trade in games for cash unless the stores are out of money :bomb:).

It's too bad that they've lowered their prices across the board to be more in line with Gamestop's TiVs :cry:. In fact I didn't even buy any games to flip during this latest Hastings 20% off sale. I guess they have some employees that really do check this site and any other deal site because during this past BBV B1G1 deal, I remember people reporting on the qualifying games at BBV so I would go to the website to see if there was any profit to be made, but the TiVs for those games would have dropped (especially Brutal Legend and Star Wars: Republic Heroes).

[quote name='Danxx777']Im thinking about ordering some original xbox games online, can anyone tell me what kind of condition I can expect?[/QUOTE]

The condition of their games are generally pretty good, I would rate them better than Gamestop's used games.

The games they sell on their site are the games that get traded in to them at the B&M stores. From my experience, they do a cursory visual inspection of the game (a la Gamestop) and will refuse to accept games if they deem that the disc is too scratched up. Also, they only accept games if they have a barcode that can be scanned in, so that means, the games will almost always have their original cover art (manual and original case are YMMV, however, though, from personal experience they do lower the TiV if the game traded in doesn't have its original case - thanks Blockbuster for your generic cases :roll:).

I'm pretty meh on this store, at least my local one. They don't have a phone number I can call to check to make sure they actually say what they claim to have (and I've been burned by that on more than one occasion), and they recently lost their license to buy stuff, which was annoying. And as alluded to, I've heard the "we're out of cash" line quite often.

That said, their prices on DVD's are often quite good. Games are hit-and-miss.

The whole "we're outta cash" line is used quite often (I keep the receipt so I come by the next morning to get my money). I'm not surprised that the are out of cash considering they are one of the few places one can sell old electronics to them to get money for it. Which is weird because I wonder how the stores stay in business because it does look like more people trade than buy, unless the people who are buying are using credit card or store credit.

Other than that, the store isn't too bad...I like that they test whatever you want to trade. Buying from them isn't too much of a hassle either.

well, i find it a bit disconcerting that when i e-mailed them a question about their product before i placed an order, i had a response the next day...but now that it's been over 10 business days since i placed my order which still hasn't shipped, i've e-mailed them 4 times during the last 5 business days, and I've not gotten one response from them. my last e-mail was telling them to cancel my order...I guess I'll have to wait and see if my cc still gets billed...LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE....will not buy from them again...

bread's done
Back