MLB.TV Returns For 2012 Season - $124.99/YR Premium or $109.99/YR Regular

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...011-mlb-tv-with-new-features-for-opening-day/

The MLB.TV app is being updated with some new features:
Some of the new 2011 upgrades include:
  • Highest Quality HD Streaming – Speed detection technology gives users ultra-HQ video access (NexDef 4.5 mbps) depending on available bandwidth.
  • Enhanced Audio – In-game alternate audio selection allows users to overlay the home or away team’s broadcasters over the live video or use the “Park” option to include the ballpark’s natural sounds.
  • Quick-Access Stats – View player cards with full career stats, league leaders, and in-game stats including AB, R, H, RBI, K, BB, SO, LOB, AVG, HR, SB.
  • Event Navigation – Select in-game event types, such as home runs, hits or stolen bases, to show on a progression timeline and jump directly to the at bat where they happened.
  • Improved User Interface – User-friendly design makes it even easier to browse.
Jeff Rubenstein shows off some of the new interface improvements and mentions something not in the post above, which is that you can also track individual players to see how they're doing throughout the season. The updated app will be in the store tonight or you can just launch it to patch the app if you've already downloaded it.

Original Post:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/04/22/watch-major-league-baseball-on-ps3-mlb-tv-app-live-today/
Hi Everyone – I’m excited to show everyone the new MLB.TV application for the PS3 that will be available from PlayStation Network, in both U.S. and Canada, later today. This app allows MLB.TV subscribers to watch every regular season game live in HD (local blackout restrictions do apply), with tons of new interactive features designed exclusively for PSN.

Demonstration video: http://www.viddler.com/explore/sceablog/videos/916/63.833

Some of the unique interactive features that we show in the demo include:

* MLB Scoreboard – See a schedule of today’s games (and set options to control whether or not you see the scores)
* Home and Away Feeds – Choose to watch either the home or away broadcast feed
* HD quality video and DVR functionality – watch a live game in HD (with Live Game DVR functionality that lets you pause and rewind live games of fast-forward back to live game action)
* Season Archive – Want to re-live a great moment? Go back and watch games you’ve missed from earlier in the season.
* Scrollable Linescore – Go directly to any half-inning to watch only that portion of the game.
* Favorite Teams/Calendar Schedule – Scroll through the entire 2010 Major League Baseball schedule in calendar format or designate your favorite team(s) to see the schedule for that team.

You can now download the app from the “Media” category on PlayStation Store, and launch it from the Video section of the XMB.

You must be an MLB.TV subscriber to fully utilize this app (some features, such as the calendar schedule, are available to everyone for free). There are two annual packages: MLB.TV is $99.95 and MLB.TV Premium is $119.95. If you aren’t already a MLB.TV subscriber. The site to sign up will go live later today. Once you’ve subscribed, link your MLB.TV subscription to a PS3 (via the app), and enjoy the season!

This is truly the ultimate baseball viewing experience from MLB.TV and PlayStation Network. Enjoy!
Seems like a good way to extend the subscription for those that paid the hefty price for it. It's not on the PS Store yet since it'll probably come with the rest of the update today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember n8 being interested in the service if it were possible on the PS3. Great deal for those who do not have it. Games come in crystal clear with no lag. I watch about 2 games a day via mlb.tv. You can get 1 year of service for $100 dollars. That includes the free 14 issues of SI which takes off 20 bucks and you just cancel after.

I'll have to sign up again now if it's available. It lagged a lot for me last year, though. Hopefully that problem is fixed. I remember every time I would try to watch a game in HD last year it would stutter a bit and then kick it down to SD. Either way I'll probably subscribe sometime in June when things are heating up more and I will have the time to actually watch the games.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I'd subscibe if I could watch local games[/QUOTE]

You can't watch local games? ...I was thinking about subscribing to this instead of cable so I can watch cardinals games, but I see no point without the Cardinals.

I thought the great thing about this was that you can watch any game you want. Why would there be a restriction on local games?

Hallelujah. This will definitely get me using my subscription more often. I hate watching tv on my pc and my pc is too slow to use TVersity reliably.

[quote name='Brownjohn']I thought the great thing about this was that you can watch any game you want. Why would there be a restriction on local games?[/QUOTE]

Blackouts and the games are commercial free. If you are living in NY, Yes wants you to watch via the Yes network for commercials.

How is 100 bucks a year expensive? That comes down to 60ish cents per game. Even less if you watch other teams as well.

I also believe you can change the proxy on your internet so you are listed in a totally different location in the United States. You do that so you can watch your hometeam.

[quote name='wildcpac']I remember n8 being interested in the service if it were possible on the PS3. Great deal for those who do not have it. Games come in crystal clear with no lag. I watch about 2 games a day via mlb.tv. You can get 1 year of service for $100 dollars. That includes the free 14 issues of SI which takes off 20 bucks and you just cancel after.[/QUOTE]

Yup...this has my interest piqued. Wish I could have gotten in on the crazy deal others got to start the year, but this could get me to seriously consider resubscribing.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yup...this has my interest piqued. Wish I could have gotten in on the crazy deal others got to start the year, but this could get me to seriously consider resubscribing.[/QUOTE]

That crazy deal had like 200 tops getting it. 15-20 per month isn't that bad at all. 100 total and you get MLB.tv til February 28th, 2011. You can watch any game online since 2006. The quality is vastly improved in 2009 though. I was watching Yankee 2009 playoff games a week ago.

Initial Review. I just linked my PS3 to my mlb.tv account. My internet is 15 download 5 upload.

Menu is very interactive and easy to use. You can easily scroll through todays games like you would scroll through songs on an Ipod touch with your controller. It takes 2 seconds to choose if you want to the watch the game live, from the start or resume where you left off. You can also choose which feed you want home or away. Also from the start you can choose which inning you want to start off with.

Picture and sound quality are suberb and as if you were watching the cable feed. No lag whatsoever.

You can select your favorite team in the menu and on the schedule for the Year would be your favorites team home game listed and the amount of other games on the schedule. You can also scroll through the other games while watching the main game.

I just checked out the video posted in the OP. The interface looks super slick.

It'd be smart of Sony to offer up some sort of discount for MLB TV if you buy MLB 10: The Show. :)

Yea, give me NFL.tv(obviously there is no nfl.tv :p, but nfl needs to roll it out and sell it to us US people. They have it overseas I think) for 100 a season and I'll be first in line. I get every twins game over the air(well most games, they don't televise every game though :p) so mlb.tv doesn't interest me much.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']Yea, give me NFL.tv(obviously there is no nfl.tv :p, but nfl needs to roll it out and sell it to us US people. They have it overseas I think) for 100 a season and I'll be first in line. I get every twins game over the air(well most games, they don't televise every game though :p) so mlb.tv doesn't interest me much.[/QUOTE]

NFL had a NFL.tv for people who lived in NYC last season. Due to the fact that people in apartment buildings cannot get Direct TV. I believe the whole season was like 250-300 dollars.

Cool to see this on the PS3. I'm not a sports person, though.

Make one of these that streams starcraft games and other games and I'm down, though! :p

[quote name='wildcpac']I also believe you can change the proxy on your internet so you are listed in a totally different location in the United States. You do that so you can watch your hometeam.[/QUOTE]

Can anyone confirm this because I would love to see my Cubs games ever since my cable was cut.

I hate blackouts, though I live out of area of the Giants now so I can watch all their games. I actually wish I could also watch the ads, it would be win-win for people who live in the local area but can't get the games or for whatever reason. I remember last year it was the same two or three ads they would put on during the break. One that was trying to get you buy MLB.tv even though you already had it, another for clothing and the rest of the time it was just silent and had a big MLB.tv logo.

[quote name='Josh5890']Can anyone confirm this because I would love to see my Cubs games ever since my cable was cut.[/QUOTE]

I think the only problem with that would be finding a pretty damn fast proxy that could handle the video stream. I'm not sure how likely that would be, as my experience using proxies hasn't been the greatest. Others might know more about it though.

Lag poor picture quality streams online are never worth saving 15 bucks a month. Especially when the stream quits and ends every 5 minutes.

Josh, do a google search on how to change your proxy.

[quote name='wildcpac']Initial Review. I just linked my PS3 to my mlb.tv account. My internet is 15 download 5 upload.

Menu is very interactive and easy to use. You can easily scroll through todays games like you would scroll through songs on an Ipod touch with your controller. It takes 2 seconds to choose if you want to the watch the game live, from the start or resume where you left off. You can also choose which feed you want home or away. Also from the start you can choose which inning you want to start off with.

Picture and sound quality are suberb and as if you were watching the cable feed. No lag whatsoever.

You can select your favorite team in the menu and on the schedule for the Year would be your favorites team home game listed and the amount of other games on the schedule. You can also scroll through the other games while watching the main game.[/QUOTE]

Appreciate the quick review. Now please let something like this be available for NHL next season. I will glady fork over the cash.

I might think about getting this. I'm a huge Yankees fan, but I live up in New England, so they never show the Yankee games except for the occasional on ESPN.

I wish the NFL would offer something like this. I don't want to switch to Direct TV just for NFL ticket. I already have YES network so I can watch all the Jankees games I want and I'm not a huge baseball guy to begin with.

Yeah I would get this too if I could watch local games as I don't have pay tv, and don't need it other than sports since I have Play On now.

Sat./Sun. is a free weekend for MLB.TV (blackouts still apply) so hopefully I can mess around with the app this weekend.

Excited about this being a Padres fan and living on the east coast dont really get to see to many games...i have a question though wondering if someone might be able to answer it...so my gf brother has an mlb.tv account...lives up in Mass and is a Mets fan...anyway can i just link up to his account since he wouldnt be linking to a ps3? can i watch games while he watches games on mlb.tv? and i just send him 50bucks to split the costss?

Oh I may have been mistaken, it's a free MLB.TV weekend for people who bought the IPhone/IPad At Bat app because it made No. 1 app on the Apple App Store. If the weekend isn't free on PSN/PC/Mac then I apologize.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Oh I may have been mistaken, it's a free MLB.TV weekend for people who bought the IPhone/IPad At Bat app because it made No. 1 app on the Apple App Store. If the weekend isn't free on PSN/PC/Mac then I apologize.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, unfortunately, it's not a free weekend. Kinda lame that you can't even try the program out before deciding if you want to invest. I guess the closest thing to a trial is just subscribing for one month for $20. But even today's Yankee game reminded me why I got rid of my subscription a few years ago. Way too many games get blacked out.

MLB's television agreements are horrible. Any game on Saturday before 4PM is blacked out, whether it airs on Fox or not. Also, living in North Carolina, the Orioles are considered my "local team" (yeah...you try and figure that one out), so whenever the Yanks play in Baltimore, those are blacked out too. That's at least 20 games knocked off of the value right there. I'm glad they're improving the service, but I think I'm still going to hold off.

[quote name='SnorE']Excited about this being a Padres fan and living on the east coast dont really get to see to many games...i have a question though wondering if someone might be able to answer it...so my gf brother has an mlb.tv account...lives up in Mass and is a Mets fan...anyway can i just link up to his account since he wouldnt be linking to a ps3? can i watch games while he watches games on mlb.tv? and i just send him 50bucks to split the costss?[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. Since it will probably check to see if you're logged in and watching. I remember last year I would watch a game on my desktop and then go do something and try and watch on my notebook and it said I was still watching a game since I didn't log out of the desktop. It'll just see the PS3 as being another connection which it won't allow.

[quote name='Thongsy']I doubt it. Since it will probably check to see if you're logged in and watching. I remember last year I would watch a game on my desktop and then go do something and try and watch on my notebook and it said I was still watching a game since I didn't log out of the desktop. It'll just see the PS3 as being another connection which it won't allow.[/QUOTE]

Snore, I just tried and the same account can use the PS3 app and watch a game on the computer at the same time. If you you were to do that, you might be risking the terms of service and having the account closed. I am 99.99999999999 certain that MLB.tv does not allow account sharing and using 2 different ip's for the same account is going to send red flags.

N8, there was a topic that you, Josh and I were discussing that was removed. You should try googling for the solution.

[quote name='wildcpac']Snore, I just tried and the same account can use the PS3 app and watch a game on the computer at the same time. If you you were to do that, you might be risking the terms of service and having the account closed. I am 99.99999999999 certain that MLB.tv does not allow account sharing and using 2 different ip's for the same account is going to send red flags.

N8, there was a topic that you, Josh and I were discussing that was removed. You should try googling for the solution.[/QUOTE]

Two different IP's shouldn't be a problem because even if he was watching a game on his PC and PS3 in one house both would still have different IP's. Just because the PS3 and PC are connected to the same router doesn't mean they share an IP.

[quote name='SnorE']You think they would be able to tell that im viewing in pa and hes in mass...i might just pay the 20 bucks lol[/QUOTE]

And they can. It says on the question and answer part of mlb.tv that account sharing is strictly prohibited. IP's from different parts of the country used on the same account on the same day is going to send red flags.

They really need to have a day or two of free service for the app on ps3 to test it out. I Dled it and it's a very nice app, love the calendar and stuff you get for free. But I don't think I'll pay for it when I get pretty much every twins game on TV. I'd like to just try it out.

Every game comes in crystal clear. Some games have a little hiccup every now and than in terms of lag. Like 1 second once a half inning. The picture and sound quality are comparable to the hd cable.

Actually I don't think that using different IP's is that big of a deal since one of the slogans I often hear is "Watch Cubs games on the road while away from home with MLB.TV". I just wish that the blackout policy didn't exist. I'm not going to try to "set up differently". Knoing my luck I'll screw something up and have a crap-filled bill. I might still bit on this though. $100 for a whole season of baseball sounds cool.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']MLB's television agreements are horrible. Any game on Saturday before 4PM is blacked out, whether it airs on Fox or not. Also, living in North Carolina, the Orioles are considered my "local team" (yeah...you try and figure that one out), so whenever the Yanks play in Baltimore, those are blacked out too. That's at least 20 games knocked off of the value right there. I'm glad they're improving the service, but I think I'm still going to hold off.[/QUOTE]

Actually I was watching the Dodgers/Nationals game at work today on my IPhone and I know that was before 2 p.m. central/3 p.m. eastern. It should only be the 2 or 3 Fox Saturday games blacked out (which would 75% of the time include the Yankees,) the ESPN Sunday night game, All-Star game, playoffs, and whatever your local team is.

I feel worse for someone like Pure Apathy in southern Illinois. I put my parents zip code in on the mlb.tv site (they live about an hour away from Apathy) and the Cardinals, Cubs, and White Sox are all blacked out.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I feel worse for someone like Pure Apathy in southern Illinois. I put my parents zip code in on the mlb.tv site (they live about an hour away from Apathy) and the Cardinals, Cubs, and White Sox are all blacked out.[/QUOTE]

That is gonna kill the deal a little bit...

Then again, I'm sure someone between Boston and New York probably gets the stiff arm as well. Could you imagine no Yankees Red Sox or Mets? I'm not fans of any of those teams but any baseball fan would enjoy watching those games.

I bought a Roku for myself, and as soon as the games were going to become available on it, I was gonna get a Roku box for my roomies room for his B-Day. Now Im just gonna give him mine since its new, and get myself a PS3 since I figure Id be getting one some day.
So Sony just bought themselves a customer with this, and Im sure there are others.

Note MLB.com live game blackouts are determined in part by IP address.

Conneticut is screwed lol

seems like black outed games are avaialble after they are over tho if I read that right. still shitty for what you need to pay kinda defeats the purpose of watching your home team while you are away

[quote name='m_d_amore']Note MLB.com live game blackouts are determined in part by IP address.

Conneticut is screwed lol

seems like black outed games are avaialble after they are over tho if I read that right. still shitty for what you need to pay kinda defeats the purpose of watching your home team while you are away[/QUOTE]

You can watch your home team while you're away. You cant watch you're home team while you're...home.

[quote name='Josh5890']Actually I don't think that using different IP's is that big of a deal since one of the slogans I often hear is "Watch Cubs games on the road while away from home with MLB.TV". I just wish that the blackout policy didn't exist. I'm not going to try to "set up differently". Knoing my luck I'll screw something up and have a crap-filled bill. I might still bit on this though. $100 for a whole season of baseball sounds cool.[/QUOTE]

What they mean is when you're on the road in another part of the country from your home team, you'll be able to watch your Cubs game. The only way to test if two people can share this is if somebody sets it up and watches a game on the PS3 and the PC at two locations at the same time. Still a great deal, which it was a bit cheaper.

For the basic package, does it just have one feed, or does it allow you to also pick between the home and away team's feed? I know it says it doesn't, but hopefully somebody who has it can chime in since that's the only thing that makes me consider buying the premium package is so I can listen to the Giants broadcast team rather than the opposing team.

[quote name='Thongsy']What they mean is when you're on the road in another part of the country from your home team, you'll be able to watch your Cubs game. The only way to test if two people can share this is if somebody sets it up and watches a game on the PS3 and the PC at two locations at the same time. Still a great deal, which it was a bit cheaper.

For the basic package, does it just have one feed, or does it allow you to also pick between the home and away team's feed? I know it says it doesn't, but hopefully somebody who has it can chime in since that's the only thing that makes me consider buying the premium package is so I can listen to the Giants broadcast team rather than the opposing team.[/QUOTE]

Only premium feeds can get the both broadcast. Buy the premium feed, get the Sports Illustrated for free for 14 weeks and you get 20 bucks off so the season is only $100 instead of $120. Just immediately cancel the SI subscription so you do not forget.

well i just went for a month of mlb.tv to try it out etc...and i wont be needing in for 2 months during the summer...with the SI script only cost me 10 bucks works for me....anyone know if it is a pain to place a hold on a monthly occurring subscription

[quote name='SnorE']well i just went for a month of mlb.tv to try it out etc...and i wont be needing in for 2 months during the summer...with the SI script only cost me 10 bucks works for me....anyone know if it is a pain to place a hold on a monthly occurring subscription[/QUOTE]

You should receive an email from SI. Just log onto si.com and cancel your sub. It takes 1 minute.

You can get the SI sub to get a month of mlb.tv for 10 dollars? That might be a good way to try it out.

One question though, when you order the one month -10 for trying SI. They only bill your card 10 dollars right? No holds for more or anything?

bread's done
Back