Ariz. governor signs immigration enforcement bill

62t

CAGiversary!
Feedback
76 (100%)
PHOENIX — Arizona's tough immigration enforcement bill will become law despite being criticized by President Obama as 'misguided."

Gov. Jan Brewer signed the bill into law on live television on Friday. It takes effect in 90 days after the current legislative sessions in the next several weeks.

Brewer says the law "protects every Arizona citizen."

The sweeping legislation makes it a crime under state law to be in the country illegally. It would also require local police officers to question people about their immigration status if there is reason to suspect they are illegally.

Obama said in Washington the measure could violate people's civil rights and said he's instructed the Justice Department to see if it is legal.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

PHOENIX (AP) — President Barack Obama called an Arizona immigration bill "misguided" Friday and said it could violate people's civil rights, intensifying pressure on the state's Republican governor to veto the nation's toughest legislation against illegal immigration.

Obama said he's instructed the Justice Department to examine the Arizona bill to see if it's legal, and said the federal government must enact immigration reform at the national level — or leave the door open to "irresponsibility by others."

"That includes, for example, the recent efforts in Arizona, which threaten to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans, as well as the trust between police and their communities that is so crucial to keeping us safe," Obama said.

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, who faces a tough election battle and growing anger in the state over illegal immigrants, scheduled an afternoon news conference Friday to announce her decision.

The sweeping measure would make it a crime under state law to be in the country illegally. It would also require local police officers to question people about their immigration status if there is reason to suspect they are in the country illegally.

Brewer is under intense pressure from anti-illegal immigration groups and lawmakers in her own party to sign the bill, but has given no indication what she will do.

Hundreds of protesters gathered at the State Capitol complex Friday calling on Brewer to veto the legislation.

Demonstrators have been camped outside the Capitol since the measure passed out of the Legislature on Monday. Their numbers have grown steadily throughout the week, with buses bringing protesters from as far away as Los Angeles.

About a dozen supporters of the measure also gathered.

The bill's Republican sponsor, state Rep. Russell Pearce of Mesa, said Obama and other critics of the bill were "against law enforcement, our citizens and the rule of law."

Pearce said the legislation would remove "political handcuffs" from police and help drive illegal immigrants from the state.

"Illegal is illegal," said Pearce, a driving force on the issue in Arizona. "We'll have less crime. We'll have lower taxes. We'll have safer neighborhoods. We'll have shorter lines in the emergency rooms. We'll have smaller classrooms."

Hundreds of Hispanics protested the legislation at the State Capitol complex on Thursday.

U.S. Rep. Raul Grijalva, a Democrat who opposes the measure, said he's closing his Arizona offices at noon Friday after his staff in Yuma and Tucson were flooded with calls this week, some from people threatening violent acts and shouting racial slurs.

Arizona has an estimated 460,000 illegal immigrants and is the state with the most illegal border crossings, with the harsh, remote desert serving as the gateway for thousands of Mexicans and Central Americans.

Other provisions of the bill allow lawsuits against government agencies that hinder enforcement of immigration laws, and make it illegal to hire illegal immigrants for day labor or knowingly transport them.

The bill would take effect 90 days after the current legislative session ends if it becomes law.

Brewer faces a contested Aug. 24 Republican primary election, and one of her opponents, State Treasurer Dean Martin, has called on her to sign the legislation.

Also, the March 27 shooting death of rancher Bob Krentz on his property in southeastern Arizona has brought illegal immigration and border security into greater focus in the state. Authorities believe Krentz was killed by an illegal border crosser.

Since the shooting, Brewer and other officeholders and candidates have toured the state's border with Mexico. On Thursday, she ordered a reallocation of state National Guard and law enforcement resources and called on the federal government to deploy National Guard troops.

Arizona has previously passed a variety of get-tough measures dealing with illegal immigration.

Brewer's predecessor, Janet Napolitano, a Democrat who is now President Barack Obama's Homeland Security secretary, vetoed proposals similar to the bill just approved by the Legislature.

But she signed a 2007 law that imposes sanctions against employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants. Other state laws make human smuggling a state crime and restrict illegal immigrants' eligibility for public services.

The Mexican-American Legal Defense and Education Fund said the bill before Brewer is unconstitutional because regulation of immigration is a federal responsibility.

Others urging Brewer to veto the bill include Catholic bishops, New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, a Democrat, and Arizona Attorney General Terry Goddard, the Democratic Party's presumptive nominee for governor. Mexico's embassy also has voiced concerns about racial profiling.

A Phoenix Law Enforcement Association representative acknowledged that racial profiling can occur but said fears associated with the bill are unfounded.

"We're not targeting any particular group," said Levi Bolton, a retired police detective. "Cops are not here to do these things to you."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i4nY72M0hFVOHUzIrqYpD67DoBxgD9F908LG0

images

We need to repeal this monstrosity that will kill old people and destroy our final freedoms.

Wait which bill are we talking about?

i think its pretty well known that im one of the biggest anti-illegal guys on this forum and even i think this law is too broad. so there ya go.

Seems like an awfully big government thing for Republicans to get behind.

We dont have an illegal immigration problem. We have an illegal employer problem.

i think its pretty well known that im one of the biggest anti-illegal guys on this forum and even i think this law is too broad. so there ya go.

I don't know anyone on these forums who is actually a 'pro-illegal' guy, so I'm not sure about that...phraseology?

[quote name='IRHari']I don't know anyone on these forums who is actually a 'pro-illegal' guy, so I'm not sure about that...phraseology?[/QUOTE]

oh you know what i meant

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']i think its pretty well known that im one of the biggest anti-illegal guys on this forum and even i think this law is too broad. so there ya go.[/QUOTE]

Proof by...?

"It would also require local police officers to question people about their immigration status if there is reason to suspect they are illegally."

Seriously? How can you "suspect" they are illegals?

[quote name='docvinh']Seriously? How can you "suspect" they are illegals?[/QUOTE]

If they just took your job!

I would support this bill if every time they asked somebody to prove their residency and it turned out they were legal residents that person got paid $100 for the annoyance.

Also:

"We're not targeting any particular group," said Levi Bolton, a retired police detective. "Cops are not here to do these things to you."

They better be asking EVERYONE then.

For the most part, I agree with everything else in the bill, but come on, you can't walk around letting cops do whatever they want, that's just wrong.

[quote name='speedracer']I'm sorry. You don't look American. Papers please.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. What do y'all tea baggin' motherfuckers think about the government now?

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']i think its pretty well known that im one of the biggest anti-illegal guys on this forum and even i think this law is too broad. so there ya go.[/QUOTE]

Dang, between you and I it's like upside-down week around here.

I hear Joe Arpaio has a Maricopa-sized boner over this bill. I wonder if it retroactively makes him immune to civil suits for the various civil rights abuses his police department have committed since the past decade and a half.

[quote name='mykevermin']Bingo. What do y'all tea baggin' motherfuckers think about the government now?[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm not a "tea baggin' *", but I'll answer anyway.

Exact same way I felt before this.

Let's take a reasonable idea, screw it all up and pretend like we're doing good.

[quote name='mykevermin']What do y'all tea baggin' motherfuckers think about the government now? [/QUOTE]

I am noticing an increasingly hostile tone...

[quote name='UncleBob']Well, I'm not a "tea baggin' *", but I'll answer anyway.

Let's take a reasonable idea, screw it all up and pretend like we're doing good.[/QUOTE]

If you support the underlying notion, what part of the policy's practice or implementation do you disagree with?

[quote name='UncleBob']Well, I'm not a "tea baggin' *", but I'll answer anyway.

Let's take a reasonable idea, screw it all up and pretend like we're doing good.[/QUOTE]

If you support the underlying notion, what part of the policy's practice or implementation do you disagree with?

They interviewed the governor immediately after she signed it and asked her what law enforcement should be looking for to make the determination of whether or not to ask. Her answer was she did not know.

Lovely.

[quote name='speedracer']They interviewed the governor immediately after she signed it and asked her what law enforcement should be looking for to make the determination of whether or not to ask. Her answer was she did not know.

Lovely.[/QUOTE]
Of course, because there is no right answer. Some cops will exercise this right properly while others will use to profile and discriminate for fun.

Hoo boy. I'm sure glad some of you asked for this, Arizona. I'll remember it when all your businesses are pissing and moaning about their cheap labor drying up. Then you can all hire snotty high schoolers who think they should be running the joint.

So, enjoy all of that.

Arizona: We were the first to outlaw Speedy Gonzales cartoons.

/knows Texas is probably going to foam at the mouth on this next. Sigh.

Well what the hell can you use to even do it properly? Unless you're actually at the border watching somebody jump the fence you don't have much to go off of.

I guess asking anybody loitering around the home depot?

[quote name='SpazX']Well what the hell can you use to even do it properly? Unless you're actually at the border watching somebody jump the fence you don't have much to go off of.

I guess asking anybody loitering around the home depot?[/QUOTE]
What you suggest would be acceptable I think. Or if you pull over someone for a traffic violation and see they have no driving license or proof of insurance. "You're brown, and you have neither so I'm going to have to see your proof of citizenship!"

But the bill is ridiculous and you are right. There is no way of checking without it being some kind of assumption unless there is a "Proud to Be an Illegal Citizen" parade. Then I think you would be justified in asking for papers.

[quote name='mykevermin']If you support the underlying notion, what part of the policy's practice or implementation do you disagree with?[/QUOTE]

First off, let me say that, surprisingly, I'm not so much against just opening the borders. There needs to be some fixes (for example, we need to move away from an income-based tax to a consumption-based tax) so that even if someone is in the country illegally for free health care or education or such, they're still supporting the system instead of just leeching off of it. Additionally, laws need to be adjusted in such a way to stop giving some illegal immigrants an advantage. For example, there are cases where (non-violent) criminals go to jail or face fines for their actions. Illegal immigrants sometimes get picked up by INS and get a free ride back home, where they just sneak back in next week *or* they fight the deportation and get to hang around for a few months (sometimes, skipping out and moving to a different town).

But, alas, that's not how we're currently set up. With the current system, I don't - at all - mind the idea of state and local law enforcement being given the ability to enforce federal laws.

The problem with this particular piece of legislation, as someone else pointed out, is the "Papers, please." mentality that it *could* foster. There needs to be a strict set of guidelines for when an official can ask for a citizen to produce personal paperwork - otherwise, it's too close to an unwarranted search for my tastes. I mean, hell, it's not like *I* carry proof of citizenship with me at all times. The idea of an officer being "suspicious" being enough cause to warrant such a demand just doesn't jive well with me.

[quote name='perdition(troy']"Can I see your drivers license?"

"Here ya go."

"Thanks, have a good day."[/QUOTE]

Remember how California was going to give illegal immigrants drivers licenses? I was kind of hoping that it was a secret plan to stamp out illegal immigration, but it was probably just standard California assbackwardsness.

So long as they did it to absolutely everyone i guess that could work somewhat, but we all know they aren't doing that.

"Here ya go."

Except for the fact that proof of citizenship can only be verified by a birth certificate or passport.

Given that the police can now impound cars found to be harboring non-American citizens, how easy do you think it will be for a latino to get a cab in Arizona?

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I wonder if this law applies to the illegal Canadians in our state.[/QUOTE]

Only if they look like a Subesh or Kumar.

[quote name='IRHari']We know what illegal Mexicans look like. What do illegal Canadians look like?[/QUOTE]

Lumberjacks and mounties, duh. But as the Canadians are a deceptive people it's not wise to try to out them by appearance alone. Canadians are masters of disguise, so the real way to catch an illegal Canadian is to listen for the "aboot."

Hey, trolls in Arizona! Got someone you hate? Get an illegal immigrant to squat in their car! Bend the law to your own personal malevolent whims!

"Here ya go."

It's pretty much like buying cigarettes.

I can see it now; local farmer upset because workers never showed up to plant, pick, and sell his crops.
On another subject numerous vans full of brown looking people were stopped and held for questioning about their country of origin.

[quote name='cindersphere']On another subject numerous vans full of brown looking people were stopped and held for questioning about their country of origin.[/QUOTE]
Great.

Now I can't get the image of police patrolling for illegal Mazdas, Nissans, and and Mitsubishis out of my head.

"Here ya go."

That's fine. If you're driving a vehicle.

If you're not operating a motor vehicle, there's no reason for an individual to have to produce their Driver's License.

[quote name='UncleBob']That's fine. If you're driving a vehicle.

If you're not operating a motor vehicle, there's no reason for an individual to have to produce their Driver's License.[/QUOTE]

State issued ID?

Any form of photo identification, but that doesn't really count for citizenship unless maybe a passport.

Seems to be the only solution is either A) State mandated IDs B) Citizenship IDs

bread's done
Back