Free Release of Mechwarrior 4

About time. When I get a chance going to add it to the list. I posted the info about it awhile back but M$ was sitting on it for some reason.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot'] Thanks for the news :D[/QUOTE]

Just passing on the news from what a friend told me; that's how the internet works.:lol:

Their site has been obliterated with traffic.

Hope it comes back soon, I'd love to download this before tomorrow's LAN party.

I tried to grab this earlier. When you put something free out like this, of course there's going to be a huge wave of people knocking on your door step. :x

I loved Mechwarrior 2, been a long time since i've played any Mechwarrior game. Looking forward to trying this.

Instructions:
1) Download torrent from:
Client: http://www.utorrent.com/downloads

Then get the torrent file at:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AL579RW9

2) Use any bit torrent program (like utorrent) to download the 1.7 GB game file.

3) Rename the 1.7 GB file extension from MTX to ZIP. Unzip like any other zip file and install. Runs great. No need to download or use the Mektek X software.

Download:

If you have a Megaupload Premium Account, then you can download this 1.7GB file:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LUGVQO17

Add these two trackers:

http://tracker.openbittorrent.com/announce

udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80/announce

There have also been two patches :

they can be found here
http://www.filefront.com/16321561/MechPatch.rar/

Once you get these files downloaded, extract the, and rename them as .zip extensions and then move them to the MechWarrior 4 folder.

You will need to download the MTX Install client to get these installed:
http://mtxgear.mektek.net/mtx/beta/SetupMTX1.0.2.3.exe

high def pack can be found here if you want to mess with it. It says files are missing and won't install for me.

http://www.mechwarriorleagues.com/download-files/HDP_MP302b.exe

Last edited by a moderator:
From Mektek Website.

The web server is back online and we have a new version of MTX available.

http://mtxgear.mektek.net/mtx/beta/SetupMTX1.0.2.3.exe

The new version brings with it an offline mode, allowing you to install games and updates when the web servers are down. There are risks involved with installing and updating in offline mode as the client can't verify the files to make sure they haven't become corrupted, but it does give you the option if you wish to install when the web server is unavailable. If the files are corrupted, you will have to re-download and reinstall in order to connect to servers running the correct version.

We've also removed the skin from MTX in this version. At some point we will allow for custom skins so you will have the ability to customize MTX's appearance.

Fire up MTX and grab the update or, if you are having problems with your currently installed version, uninstall and grab the current version by clicking here

Some people have expressed questions and concerns about using MTX to install the game.
The main reason we are using MTX to deliver this free distribution of Mechwarrior: Mercenaries is to be able to serve the many updates we have planned in the near future. Patching and updating Mercs without an easy method of distribution to the amount of people who will need the patches and updates, will become a much larger problem than simply being patient with us and MTX while we work out the bugs. The community will fragment with all the different versions that will be out there once we start releasing updates without a system in place to deliver the updates to everyone playing the free release.

MTX is still in open beta and with your help, we can resolve the issues that some of you are having.

Please remember that we are not being paid to bring you this game, at absolutely no cost to you. But please realize,that there is considerable cost to us, not only in time, but also financially. Between the costs of server upgrades, insurance, lost time from our day jobs, and sleepless nights attempting to bring you this game, we have paid a considerable price. All we ask in return is a little bit of patience.
As we have for the last 10 years, we do what we do for the love of the franchise. Our ultimate goal in this is to help revive Mechwarrior, a series that we hold dear.

Thank you for your continued support.

The MekTek Team.

*IMPORTANT UPDATE*

We are noticing an issue when people begin downloading via torrent and then switch to HTTP. This is causing the file core.mw4 to become corrupted.

Please DO NOT switch from Torrent to HTTP in the middle of the download.
An update to MTX will be issued shortly to prevent this from happening in the future.
If you are having problems joining servers or are getting kicked upon entering a game, you will need to download a good copy of the file core.mw4 by clicking here.

Once downloaded, unzip the file then replace the bad core.mw4 file, located in \Program Files\mektek.net\Mechwarrior Mercenaries - Mektek Mekpak\RESOURCE, with the new one.

Also, it is advisable to to delete your MTX temp folder located at \Program Files\mektek.net\MTX\temp

Finally, the long awaited moment has arrived!

Studio MekTek, in association with Smith and Tinker, INC., Virtual World Entertainment, LLC, Catalyst Game Labs, and Microsoft Games, is happy to announce the release of Mechwarrior4 Free.

Getting started is easy. Just download and install MTX, MekTek's free content delivery and updating system. Once installed, simply click the Games Available tab, select Mechwarrior4: Mercenaries and click install. The game will download and install, all within MTX, and as updates become available, MTX will help you keep your game up to date.

Once again, a big thanks to Microsoft Games and all of our partners for making this free release possible, and a special thanks to all of you in the community. Without our community, MekTek wouldn't be what it is today. Your continued support and financial contributions have made all of this possible.

Download Mechwarrior4: Mercenaries Free Release (1.7 GB) via MTX today!

Links:

* Technical Reference Manual
* Corrine's Strategy, Map and Variant Guides
* MekMatch

One of the greatest features of MekPak3.1 and of Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries in general, is the ability to customize. Mechwarrior always has been about the Mechlab, especially multiplayer. The Mechlab truly distinguishes MW4 from a long list of shooters that have come out in the past 10 years. The ability to create literally thousands of configurations allows the game to continue in popularity over its lengthy life span. Since the Free Release not only comes with the original mechs and weapons of Mercenaries, but also with the Clan and IS Mech Packs and all the Mektek mechs and weapons here is what you are getting...for free.

* 111 different mechs ranging from 20 to 100 tons.
* 9 Battle Armor
* 6 Infantry
* 32 Beam Weapons
* 43 Ballistic Weapons
* 44 Missile Weapons
* 7 Electronic Components
* 3 different types of armor

And, let's not forget the ability to add Heat Sinks to help with Heat Management, upgrading the Engine to increase Speed, and the option to add armor in incremental amounts. The same Mechlab you love has only gotten better over the years.

As if that wasn't enough, the Free Release comes with many improvements over the original Mercs thanks to the Mektek Mekpaks, like added security and a new kind of zone for multiplayer.

That brings us to what many of you have been looking forward to most of all - the new and exciting features and improvements that have been added solely for this special release.

* Clan and IS Mech Pack mechs available in campaign
* Mektek mechs and weapons added to campaigns
* Zonematch has been replaced with MekMatch in all visible text and is the one and only mech-matching service
* 5 new MekMatch servers to host and play on! You can change servers whenever you like. Each server has a dedicated community to cater to
o League Server
o New Players
o Australia
o Europe
o North America
* "Connect" and "Host" default to the last server chosen

For those that will be hosting games:

* New features for dedicated servers like the ability to add a fixed number of bots to a dedicated server upon launch chosen in setup! Bot Levels can also be set. Default game length has been changed to 30 minutes instead of original 10.

Other Improvements:

* Game loads much quicker and no longer requires a CD
* Original mechs, Clan and IS Mech Pack, and Mektek mechs arranged alphabetically in Mechlab list (no longer have special symbols in front of the mech name except for Battle Armors and Infantry).
* New Screenshot Folder for in-game screenshots (instead of the main Mercs installation folder where it was difficult to locate them).

Improvements on-screen:

* LTRI (Long Tom Range Indicator) added when a weapon with trajectory is installed on a mech! Torso pitch angle in degrees is also shown! Even height of mech has been calculated and accounted for in range.
* Mission and Computer Clock added as part of the UI. Mission Clock is a semi-transparent pie chart indicating how much time is left on a multiplayer map!
* Additional Chat state. Besides the in-game chat box's normal and large size you have the option of completely turning off chat (disappears). Pressing the "y" or "u" key (general chat and team chat) causes the chat box to reappear!

Have been excited about this since it was originally announced, and now that it's out my pc is dead hah. Is Mercenaries in MW4 the same as the MW2 one? Played so many hours of that it's rediculous.

[quote name='halfbent']Have been excited about this since it was originally announced, and now that it's out my pc is dead hah. Is Mercenaries in MW4 the same as the MW2 one? Played so many hours of that it's rediculous.[/QUOTE]

It's very similar. Super customization, take a ton of different merc jobs, it's a damn good time.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Yeah I'm going to miss not being able to use a joystick with this game lol.[/QUOTE]

You can still use a joystick with it.

Do I need to download this in one shot when using torrent mode? I downloaded some of it today but found that the thing was too slow so I closed the program and it seems to not reconize the megabytes I downloaded and it starts from the beginning.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Do I need to download this in one shot when using torrent mode? I downloaded some of it today but found that the thing was too slow so I closed the program and it seems to not reconize the megabytes I downloaded and it starts from the beginning.[/QUOTE]

From what I could tell, the amount downloaded is just how much you've DLed this session, it saves what you have and doesn't tell you.

Bloody annoying.

You don't know how much you appreciate steam until you use this piece of shit. I installed the game via the client and the UI is just terrible and slow as fuck.

I am updating the game and I don't even know what it's doing at the moment, it is just frozen.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']You don't know how much you appreciate steam until you use this piece of shit. I installed the game via the client and the UI is just terrible and slow as fuck.

I am updating the game and I don't even know what it's doing at the moment, it is just frozen.[/QUOTE]

This seems to be the complaint all around.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']MW4 doesn't show up under list of installable games. Anyone know how to fix this?[/QUOTE]

I usually just close down MTX and start it up a half hour later or so. Is this still downloading incredibly slow for everyone else?

[quote name='Triggerhappy14']I usually just close down MTX and start it up a half hour later or so. Is this still downloading incredibly slow for everyone else?[/QUOTE]

Yep.

A LOT of ppl are reporting bad installations, errors and missing game files.

Until the kinks are fixed this is not going on my list.

wow sucks they didn't put this up on steam. This installer is crap. Damn thing just locked up on me.

I'm starting to think the main purpose of this release is for them to get everyone to have a copy of MTX and work out the kinks for future releases. But I'm getting a free game out of it (Well, not yet) so I don't mind being a guinea pig.

They're working on one executable and then I'll download it.

update:Found this on the Mektek forums. Exact instructions on how to install MW4 free release by RaptorRage:
http://www.mektek.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=156383

For those with complete .mtx files downloaded and ready to install manually, there is a method to get a fresh Mercs installation with MTX 1.0.3.5 to work in Offline Mode.

Turn off your internet connection by any preferred method. MTX will go to Offline Mode upon startup.

Make sure you have a games path set where you want your games installed by going to Options and Installer tab and setting the path in the Games Directory line.

If installing Mercs you should have these files available in a downloaded location:

mechwarrior4mercenaries.all.to.51.03.01.0017.mtx
mechwarrior4mercenaries.51.03.01.0017.to.51.03.01.0018.mtx
mechwarrior4mercenaries.51.03.01.0018.to.51.03.01.0020.mtx

In MTX go to File>Open File (*.mtx) and there should be a popup message that states "Since you are in offline mode we can not validate your install's checksum. Proceed to install at your own risk." Press OK and browse to the location of the downloaded .mtx files.

If going for a fresh Mercs install, select the mechwarrior4mercenaries.all.to.51.03.01.0017.mtx file and click OK. MTX will copy that file to the mektek.net\mtx\temp\games folder then proceed to extract the game files. Give it some time to complete the process as the file is 1.74GB in size. You should not manually place the downloaded .mtx files in the mektek.net\mtx\temp\games folder. Make sure they are in another location first so they can be copied and extracted by this process.

Once that file is patched it should state the game was installed successfully in the Important Messages section. Continue with the .0018 and .0020 files in the same fashion. There should be a splash screen that pops up after each of those versions is installed that normally displays the game update notes but since the program is in Offline Mode that will be blank. Just close the Splash Screen window after it appears.

As each update is completed there should be an entry in the Installed Games list showing the version of the game. Once it is successfully installed to .0020 you can launch the game from the desktop icon.

TORRENT LINKS:
http://www.mektek.net/mw4free/torrents/fil...017.mtx.torrent
http://www.mektek.net/mw4free/torrents/fil...018.mtx.torrent
http://www.mektek.net/mw4free/torrents/fil...020.mtx.torrent

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back