Help These Boys!!! Do a Good Deed!

flamingo-kid1

CAG Veteran
Hello, everyone..
I am new to this forum.. this is my first post.

I have a request; I am the Mom of a boy in a Group Home (in Chicago) for handicapped people. They have a GameCube.

They are DYING to complete their collection of Resident Evil games, and of course they need 2 and 3.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to track these games down in an affordable manner?

The boys make approximately 2.00 an hour, stuffing pillows for an airline. They work in a special needs workshop and don't have a lot of work, or money.

They also do not need the books.. they can't read. One of them can follow cheats that I've downloaded for him, so he would be happy to have the book, but could live without it.

I already pay for them to have Cable TV and other things they need every month, so I am trying to catch a deal on these games.

Please send any ideas or info you might have!

I have no idea if this is legit or not... i'm not trying to flame here but why would a kid be playing resident evil games? It could just be me but that seems kinda odd to me... but good luck with finding the games.

Isnt 2.00 an hour not min. wage? I am also nto sure if its legit, no offensse, but im sure someone will help you.

Well, it's not like she's asking for someone to give her copies of these games, just for some help on tracking them down for cheap.

If you don't believe her that's your issue and you're entitled to that. Maybe other people not as cynical as you, want to help out.

[quote name='flamingo-kid1']Hello, everyone..

I have a request; I am the Mom of a boy in a Group Home (in Chicago) for handicapped people. They have a GameCube.

They are DYING to complete their collection of Resident Evil games, and of course they need 2 and 3.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to track these games down in an affordable manner?

The boys make approximately 2.00 an hour, stuffing pillows for an airline. They work in a special needs workshop and don't have a lot of work, or money.

They also do not need the books.. they can't read. One of them can follow cheats that I've downloaded for him, so he would be happy to have the book, but could live without it.

I already pay for them to have Cable TV and other things they need every month, so I am trying to catch a deal on these games.

[/quote]

Here's the easiest way to track these down......
buy a PSX and RE2 and 3 for it.
These are much, much easier to find, and you open the doors to a pile of other games the boys could play...
all of which could be purchased inexpensively, or gotten as donation to the group home.
(Rather than trade thier games in for pennies on the dollar, I'm sure some people would rather donate them to a worthy cause.

[quote name='help1']Isnt 2.00 an hour not min. wage? I am also nto sure if its legit, no offensse, but im sure someone will help you.[/quote]

i think it depends if they pay the rest of the money to the place the people are staying. it could also be based on piece rate. there are tons of ways to get around the min wage

[quote name='flamingo-kid1']

[/quote]

Classic! As cable TV is so needed compared to the essentials of life. I don't even have cable TV!!! Anyway OP, good luck with your quest... although I would recommend going JSweeney's route.

[quote name='dopa345']Well, it's not like she's asking for someone to give her copies of these games, just for some help on tracking them down for cheap.

If you don't believe her that's your issue and you're entitled to that. Maybe other people not as cynical as you, want to help out.[/quote]

/agreed i'm pretty skeptical about stuff like this always being in the city. scammers everywhere wanting something for nothing, but this is not the case here. she's just asking for any help finding a cheapassdeal on these games and this is the place to go to. also for her first post, she posted in the right forum +1!

[quote name='onetrackmind']I have no idea if this is legit or not... i'm not trying to flame here but why would a kid be playing resident evil games? It could just be me but that seems kinda odd to me... but good luck with finding the games.[/quote]

Hi guys.. I'm not gone offline, yet.. so I wil answer a few questions

They are NOT kids. Robert is 35 years old, but is Developmentally Delayed. He functions in his teens.

My Eric is 26 and functions at approx. 13 years old. The others range in age from 23 to 65. The 23 year old has had a stroke, with a LOT of health problems.

There's no need to automatically think this is a scam.

[quote name='flamingo-kid1'][quote name='onetrackmind']I have no idea if this is legit or not... i'm not trying to flame here but why would a kid be playing resident evil games? It could just be me but that seems kinda odd to me... but good luck with finding the games.[/quote]

Hi guys.. I'm not gone offline, yet.. so I wil answer a few questions

They are NOT kids. Robert is 35 years old, but is Developmentally Delayed. He functions in his teens.

My Eric is 26 and functions at approx. 13 years old. The others range in age from 23 to 65. The 23 year old has had a stroke, with a LOT of health problems.

There's no need to automatically think this is a scam.[/quote]

I never cried scam, i just thought it was odd for kids to be playing a resident evil game. I just asummed they were kids because you called them boys. Just want to make is perfectly clear i never accused this of being a scam. And as i said before good luck finding the games, Jsweeney's route is definetly a better way to go though.

[quote name='flamingo-kid1']Hello, everyone..

[/quote]

If they have the old model Playstation 1 System, not the new mini 1, I can provide CD-R copys of both games & I'll even throw in a converter unit to play them. all for free...

PM for details, if interested....

[quote name='slidecage'][quote name='help1']Isnt 2.00 an hour not min. wage? I am also nto sure if its legit, no offensse, but im sure someone will help you.[/quote]

i think it depends if they pay the rest of the money to the place the people are staying. it could also be based on piece rate. there are tons of ways to get around the min wage[/quote]

That is EXACTLY right.. "piece work" is legally not subject to Minimum Wage.

The guys are not capable of holding a "real" job; Robert has behaviors that prevent him.

Eric DOES get minimum wage working in a school lunchroom, but doesn't work a LOT of hours. He is not able to because of his attention span. He does better than any of the others because he has been trained for years, and has us, his family, in his corner. The other guys have no families.

The facility runs it's own workshop, and Robert doesn't stay on track and is always running off for break, which of course cuts down on his productivity. That's because of his disability.

I can appreciate the fact that you guys would be wary of my post, and not believe it is legit, but it is TRUE that there are special needs out there that may not touch your own existence, and for that you are VERY fortunate.

Considering we're talking about a boy's home (probably run on a shoestring budget to begin with), I don't think tracking down and acquiring expensive, hard-to-find gaming software is necessarily the best use of one's funds, especially M-rated software like the Resident Evil series. You could easily purchase several used Playstations and any number of PSone games (including Resident Evil 2 & 3) for the same money.

Go the Playstation route. If you were asking for deals on some common games, then I wouldn't have been skeptical at all.

It's like somebody starting a thread looking for a sealed Suikoden II for his autistic brother, because he has to complete his collection.

I'm just saying, that's why it looks weird. Get a Playstation and the games for cheap.

If they have the old model Playstation 1 System, not the new mini 1, I can provide CD-R copys of both games & I'll even throw in a converter unit to play them. all for free...

PM for details, if interested....[/quote]

They DO have the old PS1.. I find them at garage sales and pick them up. There are THREE in the house.

The GameCube is relatively new.. Robert bought it when everyone told him not to.

Thank you so much.. PM has been sent!

[quote name='jbroush99']Maybe they would be more productive workers if they weren't constantly playing Resident Evil video games :wink:[/quote]

HA HA HA and when you figure out the remedy to THAT you'll be a millionare!

I do agree!

I have to say, buying the Gamecube versions of the games does seem to be a bit extravagant.

If this isn't a scam, Those games are very very hard to come by and you will pay at least retail for them. If not more. Buy a PS1 system. You can get it all for $20 instead of $120.

It this is a scam. Please don't waste our time, nobody is going to part with those games for cheap because you tell a sad story. I'd be happy to pitch in for food or expenses on a local charity like that, but I'm not buying games that I myself would like to own but can't justify the expense.

Try this search engine www.campusi.com. When you get there, click on the videogames tab to search for videogames. Then, type in the game name, and when the search ends, pick which game you meant to search for. Then, the site will search for the best deals, and they will pop up(I probably make it sound harder than it is).

[quote name='jbroush99']Maybe they would be more productive workers if they weren't constantly playing Resident Evil video games :wink:[/quote]

I been around people like these all my life, and they are mentally at the age of 7-10 yr. old. all they wanna do is play & have fun like kids, you can't blame them, they were born like that.

I guess if playing games make them happy! happy people works harder... :wink:

[quote name='MaxBiaggi3']Considering we're talking about a boy's home (probably run on a shoestring budget to begin with), I don't think tracking down and acquiring expensive, hard-to-find gaming software is necessarily the best use of one's funds, especially M-rated software like the Resident Evil series. You could easily purchase several used Playstations and any number of PSone games (including Resident Evil 2 & 3) for the same money.[/quote]

Actually, the facility does a NICE job of taking care of them.

Try to imagine if you could not read, and you will never drive a car, and you will not date, or whatever else yourng guys spend money on.

The games and food are the most important things in their lives.

I am glad I wrote this post because i did NOT know these RE games were available on PS1.

There are 3 PS1s in the house. Are the games for PS1 the same as for GameCube, or have the formats and tips changed??

I even have a PS1 myself, because Eric got me started several years ago. I'm not a GREAT geek.. I like PacMan and Dracula, the Last Sanctuary, Castlevania, and Vampire Hunter D.. as well as Spider.

Please don't hold that against me :)

[quote name='MaxBiaggi3']Considering we're talking about a boy's home (probably run on a shoestring budget to begin with), I don't think tracking down and acquiring expensive, hard-to-find gaming software is necessarily the best use of one's funds, especially M-rated software like the Resident Evil series. You could easily purchase several used Playstations and any number of PSone games (including Resident Evil 2 & 3) for the same money.[/quote]

Actually, the facility does a NICE job of taking care of them.

Try to imagine if you could not read, and you will never drive a car, and you will not date, or whatever else yourng guys spend money on.

The games and food are the most important tings in their lives.

I am glad I wrote this post because i did NOT know these RE games were available on PS1.

There are 3 PS1s int he house. Are the games for PS1 the same as for GameCube, or have the formats and tips changed??

I even have a PS1 myself, because Eric got me started several years ago. I'm not a GREAT geek.. I like PacMan and Dracula, the Last Sanctuary, Castlevania, and Vampire Hunter D.. as well as Spider.

Please don't hold that against me :)

[quote name='fanskad']I have to say, buying the Gamecube versions of the games does seem to be a bit extravagant.

If this isn't a scam, Those games are very very hard to come by and you will pay at least retail for them. If not more. Buy a PS1 system. You can get it all for $20 instead of $120.

It this is a scam. Please don't waste our time, nobody is going to part with those games for cheap because you tell a sad story. I'd be happy to pitch in for food or expenses on a local charity like that, but I'm not buying games that I myself would like to own but can't justify the expense.[/quote]

No, it's definitely NOT a scam. If you live in or near Chicago you can go visit the workshop, and see for yourself. Contact me for details.

But it looks like this issue has been easily solved, as I said, I didn't know that PS1 had the games, and if he wants them he will have to dust off his old machine..

I also don't know why my post launched twice (above.. so sorry!

[quote name='flamingo-kid1']There are 3 PS1s in the house. Are the games for PS1 the same as for GameCube, or have the formats and tips changed??

Please don't hold that against me :)[/quote]

Yes, the Gamecube and PSone games are pretty much identical, straight ports with no real changes or additions anyway. The PC and Dreamcast ports have a couple of extras (FMV cinema, character polygon and production art galleries for example), but the Gamecube and PSone games are direct ports. You'll save a lot of money by going with the PSone releases new or used for $5-$15 each.

[quote name='flamingo-kid1']Please don't hold that against me :)[/quote]

You're cool, don't worry about it. It was just an interesting post at an interesting time. Lol I hope this doesn't ruin your perceptions of gamers attitudes.

[quote name='Spoon_si'][quote name='jbroush99']Maybe they would be more productive workers if they weren't constantly playing Resident Evil video games :wink:[/quote]

I been around people like these all my life, and they are mentally at the age of 7-10 yr. old. all they wanna do is play & have fun like kids, you can't blame them, they were born like that.

I guess if playing games make them happy! happy people works harder... :wink:[/quote]

SO TRUE, they are mentally low in ability, and will never grow up completely.. and I thank you for the kind words!

They are GREAT guys, but they do IMMATURE things, such as slamming the kitchen cupboard door on one another for using the wrong coffee cup and fighting over sunglasses. I buy all the sunglasses I can find at rummage sales and the dollar store so they'll all have some. Jeez.

We just installed a basketball system on the patio so they can get OFF their butts at their game stations and excercise their legs and arms instead of just their thumbs :)

Thanks to everyone for helping.

It's nice to know there's nice people out there!

[quote name='evilmax17'][quote name='flamingo-kid1']Please don't hold that against me :)[/quote]

You're cool, don't worry about it. It was just an interesting post at an interesting time. Lol I hope this doesn't ruin your perceptions of gamers attitudes.[/quote]

I have to go to work (so that I can pay for their Cable and other stuff :) )) BUT i have to answer this post.

Pre-conceived notions are bogus. I don't have any perception of gamers except for they knwo a LOT more about video games than I do. If you heard that I was the Mom of a Developmentally Delayed young man in a groupo home in Chicago, what woudl you perecive?

Actually, we're pretty cool for "old farts" .. we belong to several online forums regarding our own interests.. for me, it's tarantula keeping, vintage Airstream travel trailers, and African Vilolets. I thought there MUST be some gamers out there who coudl point me in the right direction, since the guys can't go online for themselves.

I thank you ALL!

For the GameCube items, since incomplete packages are acceptable, I'd keep a close eye on places like Blockbuster and other video chains selling overstocked rental items. A lot of collectors want the pristine package and rentals are notoriously otherwise but if it plays and that is good enough, then the availability and price are most likely through this venue.

[quote name='GameDude']Buy a dreamcast and burn the games. $20 max.[/quote]

HAHA that's what I was thinking. Even if you don't burn them you can get them cheap. The Dreamcast versions are closer to the gamecube graphically speaking. Not sure why all CAG's would point to the Playstation. TSK TSK.

[quote name='Spoon_si'][quote name='jbroush99']Maybe they would be more productive workers if they weren't constantly playing Resident Evil video games :wink:[/quote]

I guess if playing games make them happy! happy people works harder... :wink:[/quote]

Thank god for CAG Arcade. That really helps keep me happy and focused on my work!

[quote name='jkam'][quote name='GameDude']Buy a dreamcast and burn the games. $20 max.[/quote]

HAHA that's what I was thinking. Even if you don't burn them you can get them cheap. The Dreamcast versions are closer to the gamecube graphically speaking. Not sure why all CAG's would point to the Playstation. TSK TSK.[/quote]

maybe becasue its easier to come by a PS1?

EDIT:

sorry flamingo-kid1, I didnt mean to accuse you of scamming or anything, I was just wondering but it wasn't like you were asking for donations, you want to know where to get them cheap.

For the future, just ask the question, don't post the story, because things like this topic come out.

On a side note, if they like the Resident Evil series, you may want to look into the Dino Crisis series. Both Dino Crisis 1 and 2 are available on Playstation, and you shuold be able to get em pretty cheap. DC1 is a LOT like Resident Evil, with Dinosaurs instead of zombies, while DC2 is more action based.

[quote name='"help1"'][quote name='jkam'][quote name='GameDude']Buy a dreamcast and burn the games. $20 max.[/quote]

EDIT:

sorry flamingo-kid1, I didnt mean to accuse you of scamming or anything, I was just wondering but it wasn't like you were asking for donations, you want to know where to get them cheap.

For the future, just ask the question, don't post the story, because things like this topic come out.[/quote]

If I saw my post with OUT the story, I would automatically think it was a scam. I am not an especially trusting person, myself,so I understand why you all thought it was an oddball request.

But if I had not written the post, I woudl not have gotten all the help you've all given me.

For instance, I NEVER even heard of Dreamcast. We will look into that, too.

[quote name='ZForce']On a side note, if they like the Resident Evil series, you may want to look into the Dino Crisis series. Both Dino Crisis 1 and 2 are available on Playstation, and you shuold be able to get em pretty cheap. DC1 is a LOT like Resident Evil, with Dinosaurs instead of zombies, while DC2 is more action based.[/quote]

Will do.. never heard of it, either! Thanks for the tip!

I'm glad this worked out. Some of you old-time CAGs are a wee bit too cynical. Not every deal, post, question or link is a scam, though that would be the impression from a few recent threads (TRU 90% off, 2 for $10 glitch at CC, vote for my new kitchen, I was cheated out of $300). It seems like so many threads start off with "It's a trap!" and by the third page people are posting thanks and apologies. Pointing flamingo-kid1 towards the PSX or DC versions of the games is equally as helpful in diffusing a scam as shouting "SCAM!"

[quote name='jkam'][quote name='GameDude']Buy a dreamcast and burn the games. $20 max.[/quote]

HAHA that's what I was thinking. Even if you don't burn them you can get them cheap. The Dreamcast versions are closer to the gamecube graphically speaking. Not sure why all CAG's would point to the Playstation. TSK TSK.[/quote]
Thats pretty obvious why all CAGs would point to the PS...."Cheaper", More games, etc,etc.....I think in this case of cost cutting procedures even cutting the quality of the game is ok I mean really how much of there is a difference between DC's RE:CV to PS2 RE:CV...

I don't know why people are crying "scam".. the person's not specifically asking for YOUR copies of RE2 and RE3. They just want cheap copies. I've heard of this, though. I used to work with autistic kids (I realize the kids in question are not autistic) and games were used to improve hand/eye coordination.

I also recommend tracking them down for PS1. They're the exact same game and extremely cheap. If you go to any EBGames or even the site, they're dirt cheap for PS1.

Is it just me or does anyone else think allowing mentally challenged people play Resident Evil is a little insane? I mean I've been around mentally challenged/autistic/other learning disabled people and their ability to tell the difference between reality and fantasy is typically questionable at best. Last thing I'd want is someone to get mad and hurt or kill someone else because of something they saw in a videogame...

[quote name='javeryh']Is it just me or does anyone else think allowing mentally challenged people play Resident Evil is a little insane? I mean I've been around mentally challenged/autistic/other learning disabled people and their ability to tell the difference between reality and fantasy is typically questionable at best. Last thing I'd want is someone to get mad and hurt or kill someone else because of something they saw in a videogame...[/quote]

It's just you.

[quote name='javeryh']Is it just me or does anyone else think allowing mentally challenged people play Resident Evil is a little insane? I mean I've been around mentally challenged/autistic/other learning disabled people and their ability to tell the difference between reality and fantasy is typically questionable at best. Last thing I'd want is someone to get mad and hurt or kill someone else because of something they saw in a videogame...[/quote]

I was, but I didn't want to broach the topic as it would seem rather impolite, and the thread was already a tinderbox ready to ignite to begin with. Of course, that's just an in general statement.. considering that the mother and the group home know all the specfics about these people, they'd probably be a better judge of just what they people could handle and how well they can differentiate fantasy from reality.

[quote name='Weedy649']what i dont get is how CAGs are actually recommending burning games [-X[/quote]

I know, especially when the product is widely available, and cheap on top of it.

I don't think burning is cool....that is why I said even if you don't burn them you can get them cheap.

Here is a Dreamcast for only $19.99 make sure you use the code SAVER for free shipping.

LINK

The PS1 may have more games but the Dreamcast stuff is just as cheap if not cheaper and closer to this current generation of stuff than a PS1. Lack of games yeah maybe but it depends on your tastes. A ton of good fighters among other things.

bread's done
Back