Backwards compatible PS3 YLOD, is it worth paying sony to repair?

Ken Barth

CAGiversary!
I was playing MW2 the other day and my ps3 shut off, then it got the YLOD. I'm pretty pissed because i have a backwards compatible 80GB and my concern is if i pay sony $180 to fix my system, that it will suffer the same hardware failure shortly thereafter. During the warranty period I have already had the BR drive replaced in this system.

Any thoughts on what i should do?
Possibly pay to get it fixed, sell the 80GB BC ps3, and pick up a slim....
Has anyone gotten a fat ps3 fixed and if so, did your system have additional problems?

[quote name='Ken Barth']
[/QUOTE]

That is what I did with mine, except I never got around to buying a slim yet. The older systems suffer too many problems. Unless you love playing PS2 games on it, I would get a new slim with a warranty and better hardware.

[quote name='Ken Barth']I was playing MW2 the other day and my ps3 shut off, then it got the YLOD. I'm pretty pissed because i have a backwards compatible 80GB and my concern is if i pay sony $180 to fix my system, that it will suffer the same hardware failure shortly thereafter. During the warranty period I have already had the BR drive replaced in this system.

Any thoughts on what i should do?
Has anyone gotten a fat ps3 fixed and if so, did your system have additional problems?[/QUOTE]

i fixed mine myself using a video on youtbe as a guide.its really easy to do a little nerve wracking at first because youre terrified to mess it up but in the end once you get the stuff you need for the fix ( thermal paste, heatgun, rubbing alcohol) its alot cheaper than sending it to sony or getting someone else to do it. and my ps3 is the 80gb mgs bundle one. if your game is still in the console theres 2 diff ways they say you can get it out the one i did was i took the blu ray drive apart and got the game out but then when you do that your drive is locked up and you cant get a disk in so then theres another video on youtube on how to get the drive unlocked. it all worked and my ps3 has been running pretty well since.

here are the videos look it over and see if you think you can do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr1zyAGwnuU&feature=related

My friend actually got the YLOD a while back and I was like "....lol." But then he was like "But it's all good because I fixed it. All I had to buy was thermal paste for like $5" And I was confused and said "Wait, WTF!? You randomly had a heatgun!??!?!?! WHY!?!?!?!"

But yeah, I wouldn't exactly consider my friend handy but he said he managed to fix his PS3, though it did take a few hours because he went slow to try and not mess anything up.

I just got the YLOD two days ago watching 300. Right before King Leonidas kicks the messenger into the well the system just shut down (must have been the immense force of the King's leg). Needless to say, it didn't start back up. I have a 2008 40GB model and I was under the impression only 60GB and 80GB were affected. Thank god for CAG and YouTube I won't be forking over $150+ and wait 6 weeks (especially with RDR releasing next week).

I will be performing this "fix" today and hopefully all goes well, if not I'll be on the hunt for a slim even though I prefer the older Ps3 models. For next Gen. systems these things are built with poor components and it's sad how as consumers we think that after paying $400-$600 we have quality.

I was playing GoW collection on Sunday and the game froze 3 times. Is this warning sign that mine is going to get YLOD soon? It's the 60Gb one.

[quote name='DrNo888']I was playing GoW collection on Sunday and the game froze 3 times. Is this warning sign that mine is going to get YLOD soon? It's the 60Gb one.[/QUOTE]

i dont know if freezing is a sign or not ive had it happen with diff games at odd times throut the time ive had my ps3.

its worth it to go inside your console and clean it out as well as check out the condition of the thermal paste. better to catch it now before you hit the ylod and can just do some simple maintence without the need to do a reflow. or just wait till it happens and then do the complete fix.

my ps3 died a few weeks ago, i never really had any problems freezing just every once in awhile in fallout and the occasional random freeze. i eventually just sold my ps3 as ylod and bought a slim, i lost my saves biggest one was probably ff13 good thing i already beat it or i would have no motivation to play through that again. now i am super careful to make sure everything is well ventilated haha.

Fixed mine tonight! This took me a good hour, but it was well worth it. My 40GB model was totally different from the 60GB in the video so I couldn't really follow it step by step, but either way served as a great reference. If this happens again though I'm just going to purchase a slim and just keep in it's box. Don't pay $150 just do it yourself!

[quote name='ItzTitoYo']Fixed mine tonight! This took me a good hour, but it was well worth it. My 40GB model was totally different from the 60GB in the video so I couldn't really follow it step by step, but either way served as a great reference. If this happens again though I'm just going to purchase a slim and just keep in it's box. Don't pay $150 just do it yourself![/QUOTE]

congrats on the fix man its a pretty great feeling to be able to bring one of these back from the dead. after i fixed mine and got it back on i noticed it seems to run quieter than it ever has.

Thanks lokizz! Yeah it was a great feeling when I pressed the on button and it booted. Being mainly a PC guy I did appreciate the detail of components on the inside. Oh how the console has evolved! The heatsinks look very cool in fact.

Given I was stoned as shit during the whole process I managed to end up with one screw at the end and a stripped screw on the inside. Haha we live and learn! :)

[quote name='DrNo888']I was playing GoW collection on Sunday and the game froze 3 times. Is this warning sign that mine is going to get YLOD soon? It's the 60Gb one.[/QUOTE]
I would just try running the PS3's version of a defrag program. Turn on the console using the reset/power button and hold it. Then once it turns off the first time, turn it on again in the same way, holding it again.

I believe after 3-4 beeps you let go that second time and it'll bring up a menu of options. You want the 'restore file system' one. That will essentially defrag your console and rearrange the files. It solved some freezing issues I was having in GTA IV a while back. It's worth a shot at least.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I would just try running the PS3's version of a defrag program. Turn on the console using the reset/power button and hold it. Then once it turns off the first time, turn it on again in the same way, holding it again.

I believe after 3-4 beeps you let go that second time and it'll bring up a menu of options. You want the 'restore file system' one. That will essentially defrag your console and rearrange the files. It solved some freezing issues I was having in GTA IV a while back. It's worth a shot at least.[/QUOTE]

I've tried that, and it resets the video signal on my system, never bringing up a menu of options. Perhaps it doesn't work for 60GB models?

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']I've tried that, and it resets the video signal on my system, never bringing up a menu of options. Perhaps it doesn't work for 60GB models?[/QUOTE]
That could be, though I believe the video signal thing is part of the reset/defrag routine. The system resets 2-3 times while doing this procedure.

Froze twice again last night playing GoW collection within 20 mins and a few mins apart. Maybe it's the BD drive since I play Shattered for an hour after that and there were no problems.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I would just try running the PS3's version of a defrag program. Turn on the console using the reset/power button and hold it. Then once it turns off the first time, turn it on again in the same way, holding it again.

I believe after 3-4 beeps you let go that second time and it'll bring up a menu of options. You want the 'restore file system' one. That will essentially defrag your console and rearrange the files. It solved some freezing issues I was having in GTA IV a while back. It's worth a shot at least.[/QUOTE]

Will try this tonight if I can remember. Gotta pack and get early for a long drive.

[quote name='DrNo888']Froze twice again last night playing GoW collection within 20 mins and a few mins apart. Maybe it's the BD drive since I play Shattered for an hour after that and there were no problems.[/QUOTE]

There were reports of the Collection freezing frequently on some 60GB models; perhaps you're just unlucky. I'll play it soon, hopefully I don't have similar issues.

This is how to get into the 'safe mode' for the PS3 to run the restore file system option:

Activating Safe Mode

Step 1: Turn off the PLAYSTATION 3 by holding the Power button on the front of the unit till the Power light is red.

Step 2:
  1. Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, meaning the PLAYSTATION 3 is powering on.
  2. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep, indicating the video reset.
  3. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a third beep and the system will power off (Power light is red).
Step 3:
  1. Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, again for the PLAYSTATION 3 to power on.
  2. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep for video reset.
  3. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a quick double beep. At that point release the Power button. If you succeeded in activating Safe Mode, you will see a message on the screen saying, “Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button.”
  4. Connect a USB cable to the controller and the PLAYSTATION 3 and press the PS button to enter Safe Mode.
  5. Then you will see the Safe Mode menu.
I copied/pasted this tutorial from this page here: http://playstationlifestyle.net/2009/10/14/keep-your-ps3-safe-with-this-guide/

Please also note that if you have a custom background on your PS3, you may need to reset that after the restore file system program has run it's course.

I have a 80gig (MGS4 bundle) that is making alot of weird noises lately. I'm guessing this is a warning sign it's about to go? I use the HELL out of my ps3 so it's no surprise to me though. I think I'm just gonna back it all up and return it to Walmart as I bought an extended warranty.

my fat ps3 stopped reading disks, completely. No dvd's, games, cd's etc.. they asked for 200 i think, but we decided on getting a slim. Considering the HD space, the fact that we actually payed MORE for the fat one (when they came out), then what you are paying now. there are new features with the slim, but you lose BWC.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were in your shoes, I would buy a new ps2 and a new ps3 slim. My PS3 has been a lil janky lately so if it stops working I'm doing what I just done did said er...... If money is tight then just send it to Sony and get one of those warranty's their offering now, the total for all of that should be just under what a PS3 slim would cost though so....... 8-[

[quote name='punklivz']my fat ps3 stopped reading disks, completely. No dvd's, games, cd's etc.. they asked for 200 i think, but we decided on getting a slim. Considering the HD space, the fact that we actually payed MORE for the fat one (when they came out), then what you are paying now. there are new features with the slim, but you lose BWC.[/QUOTE]
You also lose the 'other OS' function that allowed you to put Linux on the PS3 if you get rid of the fat model, since the slim never had that in the first place.

Then again, if you upgraded to firmware 3.30 you lost the Other OS thing anyway on the fat model.

Had the YLOD on my Fat PS3 500GB HDD (Yes user mod) repaired it myself. Worth to cost to repair it cause i was able to turn around and craigslist it to a local modder who wanted it for exploitation purposes. Long story short selling price due to it's age and at the time non 3.30 firmware was able to get what i paid for it picked up a new slim PS3 and used ps2

my ps3 got a YLOD last thurs. I sent it in to gophermods.com and it came back today and is working like its brand new. I also got a nyko intercooler TS to help with any future overheating problems.

i highly recommend gophermods. they replied to both of my tickets within minutes and it took them less than a day to repair it. (it took 6 days total to ship it to them, 3 to get there and 3 to send it back).

even if you are gonna replace the PS3 dont do it with sony as they charge way too much. get it repaired and then sell it and buy a slim.

I'd just go buy a slim (and have no worries). Just make sure you grab it from somewhere with a nice (over 1 year) warranty as others have stated.

I was on the fence when purchasing my first PS3 (I wanted to install a different OS and wanted BC). I decided to grab a 250gb slim (looking back now, I'm glad I did). However, I still have much love for a lot of my buddies' older PS3s.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if a firmware update comes down to get rid of BC for PS2 titles on certain fats (the only reason it probably hasn't been done yet is because I don't think Sony can physically do it). Between the YLOD, the various (not all) firmware updates bricking/freezing people's systems/games, no price drop, as well as getting rid of any other OS, it seems Sony is making a conscious effort to get these things (older models) out of existence anyway possible and force you to buy a slim. It's been a while since I've seen a company go after their own products (even though the original product is not outdated) with such ferociousness as Sony.

The only logical explanation for this IMO is that when the next-gen console is released (and a possible new OS), the fats (especially the 60GB..and certain 80GB) will do wonders (play all PS1/2/3/4), so there's no reason to go buy it...hence Sony losing money. Or worse, PS4 titles won't play on them at all (and they're covering their a**es).

Just my opinion. Either way, you've read the reports here by other CAGs. Save yourself a potential headache and grab a slim. Get lucky. Win the lottery/get a raise/check CL for someone chunking their YLOD older PS3 under $100 you can fix, and grab a fat later on.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Space Cowboy YGI']I'd just go buy a slim (and have no worries). Just make sure you grab it from somewhere with a nice (over 1 year) warranty as others have stated.

I was on the fence when purchasing my first PS3 (I wanted to install a different OS and wanted BC). I decided to grab a 250gb slim (looking back now, I'm glad I did). However, I still have much love for a lot of my buddies' older PS3s.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if a firmware update comes down to get rid of BC for PS2 titles on certain fats (the only reason it probably hasn't been done yet is because I don't think Sony can physically do it). Between the YLOD, the various (not all) firmware updates bricking/freezing people's systems/games, no price drop, as well as getting rid of any other OS, it seems Sony is making a conscious effort to get these things (older models) out of existence anyway possible and force you to buy a slim. It's been a while since I've seen a company go after their own products (even though the original product is not outdated) with such ferociousness as Sony.

The only logical explanation for this IMO is that when the next-gen console is released (and a possible new OS), the fats (especially the 60GB..and certain 80GB) will do wonders (play all PS1/2/3/4), so there's no reason to go buy it...hence Sony losing money. Or worse, PS4 titles won't play on them at all (and they're covering their a**es).

Just my opinion. Either way, you've read the reports here by other CAGs. Save yourself a potential headache and grab a slim. Get lucky. Win the lottery/get a raise/check CL for someone chunking their YLOD older PS3 under $100 you can fix, and grab a fat later on.[/QUOTE]

The slim in fact isn't totally out of the YLOD loop. Some people have reported problems with their slim consoles. I personally think the slim aesthetically is a setback from the older models and the thing just feels cheaply manufactured. The only reasons anyone should buy a slim is if they don't want to pay for repairs, they don't want to repair it themselves or they don't give a crap about limited BC. Given that repairs are a hefty $150+tax+shpping why wouldn't anyone just complete the rest and buy a $299 new system?

With features like other OS people can create CF and play whatever they want and manipulate the system further. With BC some people don't need to pay Sony for their ridiculously priced PS1 & PS2 titles. All in all it's Sony being greedy and giving it's customers the shaft. Plain and simple

When a next gen-console is released I strongly doubt a last gen-console will be able to play its games. I don't think a Ps3 60GB will be playing Ps4 titles and vice versa. Next gen-system means; new components, new OS, new developing tools, new security and possibly new features/menu.

[quote name='ItzTitoYo']
With features like other OS people can create CF and play whatever they want and manipulate the system further. [/QUOTE]

The only thing anyone has been able to due with the other OS feature as far as manipulating the system has been to written a CF to allow the Other OS system to be installed after Sony removing it. The other OS feature was the smartest thing Sony could have done cause it kept real hackers away from the system by giving them what they wanted out of the box without the need for exploitation. Something that Nintendo and Microshaft could learn a lesson from as the PS3 has not and doubtful will be hacked for piracy.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You also lose the 'other OS' function that allowed you to put Linux on the PS3 if you get rid of the fat model, since the slim never had that in the first place.

Then again, if you upgraded to firmware 3.30 you lost the Other OS thing anyway on the fat model.[/QUOTE]

heh yea, but that, and the other differences didn't really effect me :p (not shiny, usb ports, touch sensitive button etc) the positives outweigh the negatives IMO. like the slim consumes 34% less electricity, and the new sound output (Dolby TrueHD audio bitstream output), the size, space, etc.

[quote name='ItzTitoYo']All in all it's Sony being greedy and giving it's customers the shaft. Plain and simple.[/QUOTE]
:applause::applause::applause:

You would think by now that the PS2 components would be cheap enough to toss in with EVERY PS3 so that Sony will get those on the fence about buying a PS3 to jump in with the rest of us since they could still play their old games on the new system that way.

But as has been said before, it's probably an attempt by Sony to drum up sales for their downloadable versions of the same games. Although Sony hasn't officially said they're releasing PS2 games onto PSN as of yet, I have a feeling it's coming any time now and the removal of BC via software was a step towards that.

So just how reliable is the fix anyway? I know with the 360 "fixing" a RROD system is just delaying the inevitable. If mine goes i'll probably fix it so i can deactivate all the profiles, for the sake of my downloaded games or send it in to have it fixed.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']So just how reliable is the fix anyway? I know with the 360 "fixing" a RROD system is just delaying the inevitable. If mine goes i'll probably fix it so i can deactivate all the profiles, for the sake of my downloaded games or send it in to have it fixed.[/QUOTE]

its easy enough if you follow the videos and keep track of your screws and where they belong. also be careful of the ribbons inside especially the one for the power eject buttons very easily messed up.

If you fix it yourself make sure you do it right or you could end up with a fire hazard. If you go the buy a PS2 and PS3 route, I'd buy a new PS2 unless you just want to replace that again.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:applause::applause::applause:

You would think by now that the PS2 components would be cheap enough to toss in with EVERY PS3 so that Sony will get those on the fence about buying a PS3 to jump in with the rest of us since they could still play their old games on the new system that way.

But as has been said before, it's probably an attempt by Sony to drum up sales for their downloadable versions of the same games. Although Sony hasn't officially said they're releasing PS2 games onto PSN as of yet, I have a feeling it's coming any time now and the removal of BC via software was a step towards that.[/QUOTE]
PS2 component costs dropped over time, but at some point it will not go much lower for some time and can even go up, especially without another redesign. Of course yes they also want to sell you those games instead. I don't see it ever coming back given they'll make so much more with them on PSN.

[quote name='dizee']my ps3 got a YLOD last thurs. I sent it in to gophermods.com and it came back today and is working like its brand new. I also got a nyko intercooler TS to help with any future overheating problems.
.[/QUOTE]

Intercoolers will cause more problems.

[quote name='USB Cable']If I were in your shoes, I would buy a new ps2 and a new ps3 slim. My PS3 has been a lil janky lately so if it stops working I'm doing what I just done did said er...... If money is tight then just send it to Sony and get one of those warranty's their offering now, the total for all of that should be just under what a PS3 slim would cost though so....... 8-[[/QUOTE]

What warranty do you speak of?

Still getting freezes even after restoring the files. It's always at the same part of the game. Right as soon as I start fighting the Gorgons after getting the key from the dead lady in the townsquare, it freezes up every time.

Played Williams Pinball collection for a 30 mins and no freezes.

Guess I'll go find another copy of GoW collection to see if it's the disc.

bread's done
Back