Best Buy Red Dead: Redemption Exclusive Pre-order Content?

unopepito06

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Yesterday I went to Best Buy to pre-order a copy of Red Dead: Redemption for 360. On the box I noticed it said "Pre-order today and get the exclusive in-game War Horse". Basically it sounds like a giant kick-ass in-game horse. Pretty sweet, considering usually BB doesn't include extra pre-order content. When I got the box home, there was no code inside, no code on the back of the box, and nothing on the reciept.

So I go back to my other BB today, talk to the lady, she opens up another pre-order box, and again, nothing inside. I went to customer service, where I talked to 2 people who had no idea about it. This includes a manager (I think) that basically blew me off cuz he didn't know, and told me to go to the URL on the box: rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption
It does mention this bonus at BB, and mentions "a code", which, of course, I couldn't get ahold of. One thing that was kind of wierd, at the store there were some PO boxes that mentioned the war horse, and others that didn't.

Needless to say, I am very confused. So this is a question/warning to to other CAGs: has anyone else experienced this? I really want the horse. :lol:

I will be visiting BB again in a few days to ask again, and may be calling their 1-800 number. Any feedback about your own attempts would be helpful.

Thanks!

It could just be a code that is on the receipt when u pick up the game when it comes out. Thats how Gamestop is doing a few of theyre codes.

It should be available with the game. BB has in the past, included their bonuses in the retail case itself.

Last summer when Uncharted 2 would give $10 off a purchase, I got the preorder for that and Dragon Age Origins. The DA:O box was empty even though the cover said "exclusive Dragon Armor for ME2." This was before I knew Bioware was including the bonus in their game cases. So ya, not all preorder bonuses are in those boxes at BB :p

The Assassin's Creed 2 DLC came in the retail package, as well as the Wolfenstein DLC.

I'd guess that you don't need to worry about it, and that it'll come in the game.

Ok cool, but I guess this makes me wonder: why make it a pre-order bonus at all? I just assumed that if you pre-order the game, you get the content, and if you don't, you don't, but if it's already in the case, pre-ordering is completely irrelevant, it's in there whether you pre-order it or buy it a month later. That is, unless of course they have some cases that include the code and some that don't, which would be completely illogical. :lol:

The main reason I assumed it would include the code is because when I pre-ordered R&C: ACIT, the PO package had the code inside, so I just assumed that's how Best Buy did it.

Ok cool, thanks guys!

[quote name='unopepito06']Ok cool, but I guess this makes me wonder: why make it a pre-order bonus at all? [/QUOTE]

Pretty much just to get you to pre-order the game from Best Buy, rather than just buying it after it comes out or possibly deciding to buy it somewhere else, I'd guess.

I work at Best Buy, and honestly we had no idea, until my team and I opened one to verify where the code is.

The code actually comes with the first shipment (which all Best Buys have received) of that ACTUAL game

There is NO code in the preorder at all.
Pick up your game, and open the actual game for the exclusive code.

Hope this helps.

Is there a sticker on the box to confirm that you get it on the inside or is there any way to tell that the one you're getting does in fact have the code?

[quote name='jobehr']I work at Best Buy, and honestly we had no idea, until my team and I opened one to verify where the code is.

The code actually comes with the first shipment (which all Best Buys have received) of that ACTUAL game

There is NO code in the preorder at all.
Pick up your game, and open the actual game for the exclusive code.

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]
when does best buy restock? if i buy the game tomorrow from best buy, would it still contain the code?

[quote name='GenPirate']jobehr, do you know if the UPC for RDR at Best Buy is different from the one at Amazon?[/QUOTE]
Each retailer specific version of the Special Edition with a code inside the box has it's own UPC number, though I imagine the vanilla version of the game(without slipcover that says Special Edition)will have the same UPC across all retailers.

The launch week ad said it should be included with the game. It said nothing about "While supplies last" or anything like that. However, I picked up the game yesterday, was told that the code would be in the packaging by the clerk, but when I got home there was no code. Very disappointing...

[quote name='andjuan']The launch week ad said it should be included with the game. It said nothing about "While supplies last" or anything like that. However, I picked up the game yesterday, was told that the code would be in the packaging by the clerk, but when I got home there was no code. Very disappointing...[/QUOTE]
Did your copy have a cardboard slipcover over it that said Special Edition on it, as I believe only the SE copies were going to have the codes in them.

how many variants are they of the SE? I got one with the paper cover at GS. But also saw one regular one w/o the cover at GS.

[quote name='muzras']how many variants are they of the SE? I got one with the paper cover at GS. But also saw one regular one w/o the cover at GS.[/QUOTE]
Amazon, Best Buy, Gamestop and WalMart(though I think WM only gave out the decks of cards and no bonus code for outfits)are the ones I know of for certain.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Did your copy have a cardboard slipcover over it that said Special Edition on it, as I believe only the SE copies were going to have the codes in them.[/QUOTE]

It didn't but the ad clearly stated that it should come with the game. I double checked it for the fine print saying "Limited quantities" or "While supplies last" or anything like that and there was nothing. There's a thread on the BB forum about this and the mod there asked us to PM him our receipt code so he could look into it. Hopefully he can help out.

Amazon has the golden gun pack but there is no special slip cover.
GS has the deadly assassin pack and there is a SE slip cover.

They have their own different UPC.

With the current, regular stock they have after the preorder stock was gone, I don't know for sure if they have the same UPC though.

can we get a list of UPCs going for this thread plz.

I just want to see what to look out for when going to teh other stores.

Gamestop regular edition (maybe Universal regular edition)-
PS3-701425375736
XBOX360-

Gamestop SE (comes with paper cover that haz a foldout)-
PS3-710425378140
XBOX360-

Best Buy SE-
PS3-
XBOX360-

Amazon SE-
PS3-
XBOX360-

Walmart (SE?)-
PS3-
XBOX360-

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my special Ed. from Gamestop but my UPC is 710425398131, and It did not come with the code for the Deadly assasin outfit, like it said it would. So it is pretty safe to say that those of us that did not recieve the code in the special edition just got screwed?

[quote name='mechachrome']The Assassin's Creed 2 DLC came in the retail package, as well as the Wolfenstein DLC.

I'd guess that you don't need to worry about it, and that it'll come in the game.[/QUOTE]

The problem with that is the boxes were clearly marked "Best Buy exclusive" with the logo on the front of the cover. I checked my BB for Red Dead for both consoles, and none were marked and had the standard retail UPC.

[quote name='markfifa']I bought my special Ed. from Gamestop but my UPC is 710425398131, and It did not come with the code for the Deadly assasin outfit, like it said it would. So it is pretty safe to say that those of us that did not recieve the code in the special edition just got screwed?[/QUOTE]

how is possible? Is your XBOX 360. My SKUs are PS3.

They discuss the different UPC codes on amazon's RDR's that have golden guns packed in here
http://www.amazon.com/anyone-Amazon...?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B001SH7YMG&cdSort=oldest

It looks like amazon got caught by surprise by the demand RDR and ended up having to order extra supply (that didn't have the packed in golden gun card) for game day release and since they weren't sure who got what version of the game, the just emailed a golden gun code to everyone who ordered it, so some folks got two codes...one by email, one packed in the game.

As for best buy, I walked in last week on Friday and picked up one at random and while it had no markings as such, it did have the war horse code in it...unfortunately, I've already sold it if off so I can't tell you what the UPC code was.

bread's done
Back