Android phones

squishface

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Anyone have any of these phones? I've been looking into a new phone, and I saw the new verizon incredible and sprint has a exo or evo coming out soon. I've heard good things about these type of phones and people tell me its like a iphone competitor. Any thoughts, suggestions ?

I have the Sprint htc Hero, and I love it. Would take it over an iPhone any day of the week. I would, however, probably rather have a Nexus One or Incredible. I'm not sure what carrier you're with/looking at, but any htc Android phone should be golden.

I have a Droid and I had a tough time remembering what it was like without one. So amazingly useful, and the app market is quite nice. Not as many as iPhone, but a large number and (IMO) better hardware.

I'm with SneakyPenguin. I have a Droid and I don't know how I survived without one. Pandora is amazing to have around, you can stream your favorite online radio station without an app (all you need is internet access, visit yourmuze.com for details), the Opera browser provides fast loading of web pages.. I rarely use my laptop anymore because I can check the forums, news, weather, e-mail, etc from the phone with a few presses of the button. It's amazing.

I have a bunch of friends with droids and they are nice but there is one blaring problem....they cant all run the same firmware. One friend is running 1.5 while another might be running 1.6. It sucks because apps like google goggles wont work on 1.5. The open platform is nice but when anyone can make a phone for it you find that there are big gaps in what one can do vs another. I wish there was a way to standardize it but there isnt...so what im trying to say is if you are buying an android phone, buy the one with the best hardware out when you get one.

They roll the updates out in waves.. for instance, a friend of mine got his update a full week before my phone notified me that an update was available. Not sure why, but that's the way it is.

hmm, well as far as the apps go. I'm guessing there are games and music/video players. Is it just open source games or could I possibly get something like plants vs zombies working on one of those phones and watch some of my .mp4 movies?

[quote name='Scorch']They roll the updates out in waves.. for instance, a friend of mine got his update a full week before my phone notified me that an update was available. Not sure why, but that's the way it is.[/QUOTE]

i know that but some phones just dont support newer firmware and get left behind

[quote name='squishface']hmm, well as far as the apps go. I'm guessing there are games and music/video players. Is it just open source games or could I possibly get something like plants vs zombies working on one of those phones and watch some of my .mp4 movies?[/QUOTE]

PvZ isnt available for android..as far as watching a movie you need to download a movie player app, so it really depends on the app what you are able to watch

[quote name='Malik112099']I have a bunch of friends with droids and they are nice but there is one blaring problem....they cant all run the same firmware. One friend is running 1.5 while another might be running 1.6. It sucks because apps like google goggles wont work on 1.5. The open platform is nice but when anyone can make a phone for it you find that there are big gaps in what one can do vs another. I wish there was a way to standardize it but there isnt...so what im trying to say is if you are buying an android phone, buy the one with the best hardware out when you get one.[/QUOTE]
Fragmentation is the biggest drawback of Android IMO. They are supposed to be fixing this with Froyo (2.2) but it still doesn't help those older phones that are out now.

The Evo will be the best Android phone spec-wise when it comes out in June. It has a 4.3" TFT screen, 720p video, HDMI-out, front facing camera for video conferencing, 1GB ROM, and the same 1Ghz Snapdragon processor found in the Incredible/Desire/Nexus 1.

I can't comment on how good Sprint is since I've been on Verizon for many years now. The initial 4G reports sound pretty good. And being able to use your phone as a WiFi hot spot for up to 8 devices is a BIG plus.

I thought about getting the Incredible. It really seems like a nice phone. But I know there are more phones on the horizon (Motorola Shadow and Droid 2 sometime this summer for example) so I've decided to wait. Plus details about the LTE phones could start leaking late this year.

I love my Droid and even though I hated that it had a keyboard the first few months I owned it, I have to stop myself from sliding it out whenever I look at my phone now :D

All these damn phones need anymore is a IR transmitter and they could do basically anything you'd ever want. There are a ton of apps available that range from games, music players, remotely controlling your PC, RSS feeds (I love FMLife and TFLN in my spare time). I can even control the sound system in my parents house over their WiFi network when I'm over there (SONOS). The internet browser holds its own (no flash yet.. maybe they got it on rooted ROMS, I'm not sure). GPS Navigation pays for the price of the phone by itself.

Oh yeah, it makes phone calls too.

Anyone using their droid with verizon? If so hows the service and so on?

I have at&t now considering going to verizon with a droid.

Also, how easy is it to use a droid? My mother is considering getting one also because she has a older phone. She isnt tech stupid but she isnt that great with tech. I just didnt want her to get it and then get pissed and not use it and then just waste money.

My girlfriend got the HTC Droid Incredible as soon as it launched. The phone is really, really nice. All apps run incredibly fast, the touch screen is bright and responsive, and Verizon's service is top-notch. Only real complaints I'd have is that the built-in music player isn't great (but it is servicable) and the battery-life is terrible - admittedly, my girlfriend plays with the phone on and off all day long, but the phone sometimes doesn't even last a full day. That said, I like it enough that I'm strongly considering getting one, despite the fact that I have thus far refused to pay for mobile data plans, since they are way over-priced.

[quote name='gargus']
Also, how easy is it to use a droid? My mother is considering getting one also because she has a older phone. She isnt tech stupid but she isnt that great with tech. I just didnt want her to get it and then get pissed and not use it and then just waste money.[/QUOTE]

It's just as easy or difficult as using an iPhone or any other touchscreen smartphone. If you think she could use any of those, then she should have no problem with a Droid.

Download the free Android task killer, there's also an optimizer I forget the name of which switches profiles (what is on/off) depending on battery %s (IE turn bluetooth off @ 20% battery, etc)

My Moments battery life was horrible until I got therse two things. Esp the task killer, you'd be surprised what's running. Apparantly Sprint's NFL Mobile is set to run by default on Moment phones. I had never used it (can't remove it).

I've owned all 3 iphones, a droid, and I currently have a nexus one. The direct benefits of android are unsigned apps, upcoming flash, customization, and the notification system. Benefits of apple are polished OS and experience, streamlined media delivery. I would say that the android OS is comparable to the iphone OS in terms of capability, so it comes down to personal preference.

Ive got a samsung moment. I love the ablility to teather. In other words using my phones internet connection to run my pcs internet. Great because the internet at work it hardware firewalled to hell.

Firmwares are rolled out and optimized for each phone. So they come at different times depending on the carrier and phone. My girlfriends HTC Hero got the 2.1 android update already. Mine should be coming soon optimized for my phone.

My phones great because it has an actual keyboard and an onscreen one if I wish. I have fat fingers so I have a hard time using the onscreen one.

I've got a Verizon Droid and I really like it, had a few BlackBerrys beforehand. I'm waiting for the prophecized coming of the iPhone to Verizonland.

[quote name='Darknyss']Fragmentation is the biggest drawback of Android IMO. [/QUOTE]

that's the word I was looking for

[quote name='mozby']I've got a Verizon Droid and I really like it, had a few BlackBerrys beforehand. I'm waiting for the prophecized coming of the iPhone to Verizonland.[/QUOTE]

that doesnt seem likely since it seems the new iphone will use microsims

[quote name='btw1217']It's just as easy or difficult as using an iPhone or any other touchscreen smartphone. If you think she could use any of those, then she should have no problem with a Droid.[/QUOTE]

Peer pressure got to her regardless because were getting 2 of them today hehe. She had been talking about them with some ladies she works with and has to have one now.

I played with one at the verizon store today and it seemed really slick. I think she will be ok with it. Im just going to be doing alot of education.

My only concern is the battery life with it. But I saw in the options I can kill apps, turn off the blue tooth, turn off the internet connection and turn down the brightness Im hoping it will give me a decent chunk of battery life back. Cause I can just switch on the net or bluetooth when Im going to use it and keep it off the rest of the time.

I probablly would have gotten them at the store today if the lady working there wasnt being so fucking pushy with me. Telling me because they are so popular if I didnt get one today it would be 6 weeks before I would get it, trying to selling me accesory packs for 70 bucks when I can get the same shit off amazon for 25 bucks and just trying to pressure me to buy right then. So I said fuck it and going to order online, least the rebates there are instant and no mail in shit like at the store and customer service agent I chatted with on there told me the phone would be overnighted soon as I ordered.

Damn talk/text and data package is gonna cost alot but it wont be so bad since we both will split it. End up costing me as much as it does to pay for both our phones through at&t as it is now.

[quote name='Malik112099']

that doesnt seem likely since it seems the new iphone will use microsims[/QUOTE]

There's supposed to be two new iPhones coming...one of which will be a CDMA.

I have a Nexus One on T-Mobile. I love the phone except for call quality. I use a Blackberry Bold 9700 as my primary device & the Nexus strictly for data. If your wondering why TWO phones!? I'm a T-Mobile Sales Rep :D. I'm a HUGE technology guy and I strive to have the best. Since the Nexus One is unlocked, I can always sell it later on for little to no loss and get the next BIG THING. Android is great by the way. It's essentially similar to the iPhone OS except its more open and less unnecessary apps. Android is the future (Currently #2 in the world behind Blackberry OS) so you might as well join now!

[quote name='ohboy10451']I have a Nexus One on T-Mobile. I love the phone except for call quality. I use a Blackberry Bold 9700 as my primary device & the Nexus strictly for data. If your wondering why TWO phones!? I'm a T-Mobile Sales Rep :D. I'm a HUGE technology guy and I strive to have the best. Since the Nexus One is unlocked, I can always sell it later on for little to no loss and get the next BIG THING. Android is great by the way. It's essentially similar to the iPhone OS except its more open and less unnecessary apps. Android is the future (Currently #2 in the world behind Blackberry OS) so you might as well join now![/QUOTE]

How is the HD2 selling?

[quote name='ohboy10451']I have a Nexus One on T-Mobile. I love the phone except for call quality. I use a Blackberry Bold 9700 as my primary device & the Nexus strictly for data. If your wondering why TWO phones!? I'm a T-Mobile Sales Rep :D. I'm a HUGE technology guy and I strive to have the best. Since the Nexus One is unlocked, I can always sell it later on for little to no loss and get the next BIG THING. Android is great by the way. It's essentially similar to the iPhone OS except its more open and less unnecessary apps. Android is the future (Currently #2 in the world behind Blackberry OS) so you might as well join now![/QUOTE]

your whole post makes me feel dirty like I stopped in the mall and actually listened to your sales pitch

Love my Droid, I do wish I waited for the the new Incredible though. The Droid is especially good if you use a lot of Google stuff, though it's not quite as user friendly as the Iphone. If I had a choice, I will still choose the Droid over the Iphone though.

[quote name='Malik112099']your whole post makes me feel dirty like I stopped in the mall and actually listened to your sales pitch[/QUOTE]

Well his post did say he was a sales rep and even included a smiley to punctuate it.

But yeah I thought the same thing. Nothing I hate more than salesman who is infact trying to be a salesman, paticullary the ones on commision. Guys at the mall are annoying as fuck.

The Sprint Evo 4G is coming out 6/6/10 and it's going to be fucking insane.. first day buy for me, I've had the Samsung Instinct since it came out so my contract is ready for a 2 year deal, just in time.

[quote name='pimpster4183']The Sprint Evo 4G is coming out 6/6/10 and it's going to be fucking insane.. first day buy for me, I've had the Samsung Instinct since it came out so my contract is ready for a 2 year deal, just in time.[/QUOTE]

LOL me too. I've had the instinct for a while and I'm eligible for an upgrade right when the phone comes out. :D

I'm trying trying to decide, and I wonder who will offer rebates or deals with the sprint evo comes out?
Trying to get as much info as I can on this so I can make my decision when the evo comes out.

Also, what about the tethering? I've heard that it is a small charge from sprint but even bigger fee from verizon? One of the sprint kiosk people told me that if you knew how to tether devices that you could actually do it for free. I think he was using the htc hero?
It would really be a great selling point for me to be able to tether a device or two for FREE. I'm already paying for the service why couldnt I use it on another device for a short time period right?

Most devices Sprint can't tell if you are tethering or just using that data on the phone, so it's one of those things where if you can get tethering to work on your phone, just don't say anything and don't download a huge amount of stuff and Sprint will never know.

[quote name='squishface']Also, what about the tethering? I've heard that it is a small charge from sprint but even bigger fee from verizon? One of the sprint kiosk people told me that if you knew how to tether devices that you could actually do it for free. I think he was using the htc hero?
It would really be a great selling point for me to be able to tether a device or two for FREE. I'm already paying for the service why couldnt I use it on another device for a short time period right?[/QUOTE]

I've got free tethering on my Moto Droid using PDAnet, an app for the DROID and also a USB driver you need to install on your PC. It works great.

Just got the Moto Droid yesterday.

Just curious, I am using the App Killer and I noticed even after I kill everything running, things will start up randomly(when it has been sitting in standby with me not using it). Is there a reason for this?

Also my first day of use averaged 16 hours, 8 of which I was actually using the phone off and on and * prior I was sleeping so it was sitting in standby. Is this average for a smartphone? (this being my first smart phone, I just want to check.)

I am getting a droid incredible phone and I saw a nice belt enclosure/case for that had was reall nice but it doesnt have a snap to keep it shut, it has a magnet on the case and on the flap.

My only concern was the magnet might mess up my phone somehow. Im sure its not a real strong magnet but still all the same, I dont want to have a problem.

Its basically something just like this http://www.amazon.com/Executive-Bla..._1_2?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1273951206&sr=8-2

Some modern phones actually use magnet equipped cases to determine their behavior for calls, messages, etc. (Blackberries are the most prominent example) However, it will cause issues with iPhones and other phones. In general, don't buy a magnetic case unless its made specifically for the phone you have, as that ensures compatibility.

bread's done
Back