Martial Arts Films Suggestions (new and old films welcome)

lokizz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Just looking to find some newer films of that genre to watch. and dont mention ong bak ive seen all except the 3rd which looking kinda crappy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Killzone (aka SPL): Donnie Yen, Sammo Hung, and Jackie Wu Ma. The alley fight between Donnie and Jackie is one of my favorite fight scenes ever.

Flashpoint
: The prequel to Killzone, Donnie Yen takes on Colin Chou in a serious beatdown with a bit of MMA-style fighting mixed in.

City of Violence: A Korean movie with a serious case of cool. Lots of fancy Tae Kwon Do. I can't tell you how many times I've watched it.

Born to Fight: Dan Chupong, another in the indestructible Thai martial artist line, may not be Tony Jaa, but he does a serviceable job in this one, with some creative and unusual moments. Wires? Soft places to land? Who needs em?

Raging Phoenix: The most recent one on this list. Jeeja Yanin, the "female Tony Jaa," kicks some butt in this one. A mix of drunken muy thai and b-boy dancing. It sounds corny and is at times, but on the whole it has some creative choreography.

Fatal Contact: Jackie Wu Ma stars in a relatively middling movie overall, but it has some nice fight scenes.

Fearless: This is a "just-in-case" entry since it's, IMO, the best pure martial arts movie in the last ten years. There haven't been many. Jet Li rocks it in this one.

Ip Man: Actually, maybe this one is the best recent pure martial arts movie. Donnie Yen is fantastic in this biopic of the Wing Chun master. Part 2 out soon.

Side note: Jackie Wu has been tabbed as the next big thing, but he hasn't really carried a movie yet. Fight-wise he's capable, but doesn't have the screen presence. However, the movies I've seen him in I've liked enough of what he's done (Fatal Contact, Drunken Monkey, Killzone, Invisible Target).

ok im gonna start with city of violence tonight enough of you recomended it and the description of it sounds like its going to be good. thanks for the suggestions please keep them coming.

that move was pretty good the villan was predictable
as soon as i saw him i knew he was guilty
but that aside i liked it alot especially the end fight.

gonna check out chocolate later sinnce its gotten some praise from you all and if its got ong bak type action i know its going to be good.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']
Side note: Jackie Wu has been tabbed as the next big thing[/QUOTE]

always makes me giggle when people say that. He was supposed to be the next big thing 15 years ago (which he was, just not in film but rather tv)

Chocolate is in the vein of Ong Bak cause its from the same folks and I like it.

High Kick Girl is a decent flick that came out last year it deals mostly with karate. If you have Netflix you can watch it in Instant Q.

City of Violence is great. I enjoyed it so much that I own it on DVD.

Flashpoint is sweet with how the action plays out. You can Instant Q it also.

lol, on the the last dragon, its a classic sure, but not seriously. I still liked the movie.

But the first list of movies, all those are great, City of Violence is great though, loved it, and IP MAN! is just awesome, you need to see this one, they are making a IP MAN part 2. Can't wait. of course fearless is great jet li current stuff, jet li has a lot of awesome older movies, but we are just talking fairly recent entries. Jet Li in Hero, and Forbidden Kingdom? I thought it was decent enough if not silly. Raging Phenoix was okay, some nice fights, some crazy story, I love Tony Jaa's The Protector, I think its the best of his films. I mean serioulsy, he just wants his elephant back, give it back already! :p Haven't seen B13 or B13 Ultimatium, but heard good things about it...

Not sure if you into or have seen older movies, there are some very good stuff back in the day. Tai Chi Master - Must see jet li film, one of my fav, and really a must see is The Prodigal Son, with samo hung, its just a must watch of kung fu cinema, Crippled Avengers aka return of the 5 deadly venoms, oh gezz i could go on about the old classics, i've seen and got them all, i'm sure i've missed some, maybe we should start a must watch martial arts movies ;)

[quote name='manthing']'Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon'?

Sho'Nuuff![/QUOTE]

i love that damn movie ive seen it more times than anyone should and even now its still a great flick.

[quote name='5of9']Shaolin soccer and King Fu Hustle. Maybe you have to like Steven Cho but i dug them.[/QUOTE]

ive seen both of those theyre pretty good especially kung fu hustle.

[quote name='Maklershed']Ninja Assassin was kinda cool.[/QUOTE]

i saw that and hated it some of the action was ok but something about that film annoyed the hell out of me.

the blind swordsman flick beat takeshi did is worth checking out for anyone whose never seen it though i hated the use of a cgi sword.

btw there was this one ma film i saw a year ago where this guy was carrying somenes head in a bowling ball. thats a good one too action wise but i cant remember the name. the final fighting scene was crazy.

[quote name='bobo2k4']True Legend:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDrkh8iya5A

I thought it was awesome until the last part. Awesome bloody fights though.

Dragon Tiger Gate:
Based on a Chinese comic book so there is plenty of CGI during some fights.
[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize True Legend was already out. I'ma need to check that out.

As for Dragon Tiger Gate, I'm really on the fence. There's plenty of good, but the CGI is really, really overdone in the major fight scenes. I know it's a comic book movie, but I shouldn't be laughing during the big fight scene. Had they shown a bit of restraint I would probably enthusiastically recommend it.

damn chocolate was pretty badass. definelty kind meh in the beginning but once the action starts wow. i hope that chick does more movies some of what she did kind of reminded me of that chick from teken ( the one with a panda for a pet or something) the one thing i didnt get was
why the hell her mom didnt go to japan?
granted if she did there goes the whole movie but it one of those things that stick out. for those of you who dig on the ong bak shit you have to see chocolate. itd be cool to see her do a movie with the ong bak guy too i still love seeing the fight scenes from that flick every so often.

[quote name='lokizz']damn chocolate was pretty badass. definelty kind meh in the beginning but once the action starts wow. i hope that chick does more movies some of what she did kind of reminded me of that chick from teken ( the one with a panda for a pet or something) the one thing i didnt get was[/QUOTE]

I mentioned her newest one in my first post - Raging Phoenix.

Story in True Legend sucks but hot damn the fighting is awesome. I swear like half the film is fights.
That guy in his imagination kicks his ass so hard

ip man was the shit. i liked that guy in iron monkey and i know shes done alot of flick but this one was bad ass especially the
10 man fight fuck
hell he punished them like crazy. gonna have to wacth part 2 of this soon and its cool to know this is based on a real guy.

[quote name='Tony208']Story in True Legend sucks but hot damn the fighting is awesome. I swear like half the film is fights.
That guy in his imagination kicks his ass so hard
[/QUOTE]

ill check that out then. when it comes to ma films its nice if it has a story but as long as the fights are amazing i could care less lol. none of the ong bak stories were any good but the action is what makes them unforgetable.

How recent are we talking about? I'm interested in this thread, too. I need to move some stuff up (and add some) to my Netflix queue. In the mood for some decent martial arts films.

Iron Monkey is a great film.

[quote name='shieryda']How recent are we talking about? I'm interested in this thread, too. I need to move some stuff up (and add some) to my Netflix queue. In the mood for some decent martial arts films.

Iron Monkey is a great film.[/QUOTE]

im mostly looking for stuff made in the last 10 maybe 15 years. most of the stuff ive seen or found tends to be things from the 70s or 80s but aside from a few flicks here or there you dont see much about new martial arts films so i figured someone else had to know of some good ones and so far i havent been dissappointed.

every one i see ill drop a quick post on how i liked it or not and i hope everyone else will do the same that way people can get a idea of the film without it being ruined for them. damn shame they dont make martial arts films that often in america.

so far ive seen Chocolate, Violence City and Ip Man ( also called yip man) and all 3 are worth watching. found ip man 2 yesterday ill watch it sometime today.

Everyone should check out www.kungfucinema.com and also www.monkeypeaches.com.

My personal recommendations are below:

Jackie Chan:

Dragons Forever
Anything in the "Supercop" series
Who Am I?
Wheels on Meals
Operation: Condor
Drunken Master 1 & 2
Fearless Hyena
Gorgeous
Miracles
Mr. Nice Guy
Thunderbolt
Project A (1 and 2)
First Strike
Rumble in the Bronx
Winners and Sinners

Jet Li:

The Black Mask
Hero
Tai Chi Master
Unleashed
Fist of Legend
Once Upon a Time in China
Kiss of the Dragon
The Enforcer

Donnie Yen:

Legend of the Wolf
Killzone
Flash Point
Dragon Inn
In the Line of Duty (part 4)

Sammo Hung:

Magnificent Butcher
Prodigal Son
My Lucky Stars
Knockabout
Enter the Fat Dragon
A Chinese Ghost Story
The Evil Cult

Non-martial arts (period pieces/sword fighting/warlord-type movies):

Red Clliff
Ichi
Kagemusha
The Emperor and the Assassin
Seven Swords
House of Flying Daggers
Curse of the Golden Flower
The Twilight Samurai
Zatoichi
The Warrior
The Warlords

Other:

Storm Riders
Silverhawk
Magnificent Trio
Shiri

Check this one out:

http://www.yesasia.com/us/1022488337-0-0-0-en/info.html

I was going to suggest Seven Swords though most of it is sword play but it has Donnie Yen in it. I own it also. Basically, you cannot go wrong with most of the Dragon Dynasty catalog.

[quote name='cdeener']I was going to suggest Seven Swords though most of it is sword play but it has Donnie Yen in it. I own it also. Basically, you cannot go wrong with most of the Dragon Dynasty catalog.[/QUOTE]

swordplay flicks are cool too anything in the realm of martial arts and please nobody say crouching tiger hidden dragon i hated that movie aside for 2 fight scenes in it.

[quote name='lokizz']swordplay flicks are cool too anything in the realm of martial arts and please nobody say crouching tiger hidden dragon i hated that movie aside for 2 fight scenes in it.[/QUOTE]

For sword stuff I suggest:

Hero - Jet Li does some badass stuff here.
The Myth - Jackie Chan plays 2 roles here as a ancient general and a modern day adventurer.
Musa - Highly recommended. Group of Koreans get stranded in China during the Mongolian invasion.
Restless - One of my personal favorites. Fantasy film starring the same guy in Musa.

[quote name='lokizz']ill check out musa next. watchd ip man 2 the other day and didnt like it.[/QUOTE]

How did you obtain a copy? It just released in theaters in Australia last month, didn't it?

i liked high kick girl. Not great but it was good.
dragon tiger gate I found was entertaining. Alot of CG but still cool.
City of Violence of course is great.
Chocolate was fun but Raging Phoenix was way better (airflare to the face!)
Flash Point is also great.
True Legend is new to me but I will definitely watch it after seeing that airflare attack (bboy move).
Red Cliff also looks promising.

Not mentioned in the thread...

Fighter in the Wind... it's a korean film and this dude goes through some straight up Ryu training and owns everyone. I love this one. Based on a true story but it seems unbelievable.

Spin kick is another korean one about gangtas becoming Tae Kwon Do guys. Wasn't great but I found it enjoyable.

[quote name='shieryda']How did you obtain a copy? It just released in theaters in Australia last month, didn't it?[/QUOTE]

its on diff places online. the bitch of it is trying to find decent subtitles. damn raging phoenix was crap. i knew not to expect a story coming into it but aside from a few move spots here and there i hated it. i gues i was expecting maybe more of the ong bak style not that weird mish mash os fighting and dancing they threw in there. i still hope that chik does more martial arts fils in the future she showed alot of promise in chocolate and though i dont know if shes got real skill in ma or is just trained well enough to do whats needs doing itll be interesting to see what she does in future projects. oh yeah her fucking voice is a boner killer all that squealing is alot to deal with but she is cute.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']i liked high kick girl. Not great but it was good.
dragon tiger gate I found was entertaining. Alot of CG but still cool.
City of Violence of course is great.
Chocolate was fun but Raging Phoenix was way better (airflare to the face!)
Flash Point is also great.
True Legend is new to me but I will definitely watch it after seeing that airflare attack (bboy move).
Red Cliff also looks promising.

Not mentioned in the thread...

Fighter in the Wind... it's a korean film and this dude goes through some straight up Ryu training and owns everyone. I love this one. Based on a true story but it seems unbelievable.

Spin kick is another korean one about gangtas becoming Tae Kwon Do guys. Wasn't great but I found it enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

ill check those 2 out after i find and watch that sword flick.(the 2 being spin kick and fighter in the wind)

Got around to True Legend today. I have to say, I was pretty disappointed. I don't automatically dislike wire work, but this was way, way too much. Couple that with the really fake-looking CGI, and it just takes you right out of it. The fights themselves had no flow. Most consisted of 3-4 strikes followed by someone being sent flying, repeated over and over. There was no rhythm and flow to the fighting. I really expect better from Woo-Ping. As for the story, I found the parts that were supposed to be emotional rather hollow. Some of it's the acting, some is just the establishment of character. Overall, it just felt a lot longer than the listed run time as I found myself bored with it repeatedly.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Got around to True Legend today. I have to say, I was pretty disappointed. I don't automatically dislike wire work, but this was way, way too much. Couple that with the really fake-looking CGI, and it just takes you right out of it. The fights themselves had no flow. Most consisted of 3-4 strikes followed by someone being sent flying, repeated over and over. There was no rhythm and flow to the fighting. I really expect better from Woo-Ping. As for the story, I found the parts that were supposed to be emotional rather hollow. Some of it's the acting, some is just the establishment of character. Overall, it just felt a lot longer than the listed run time as I found myself bored with it repeatedly.[/QUOTE]

i agree with you on not liking wire work in films thats a major reason i didnt like crouching tiger hidden dragon. it never looks right or cool to me i prefer a gritty more head on kind of fighting which is why the ong bak films were so cool.

^
Well the wire work isn't that bad. I don't know about you but if you've seen any Taiwanese tv shows or movies, it's all wire and all CGI. They are walking on air the whole time.

[quote name='Tony208']^
Well the wire work isn't that bad. I don't know about you but if you've seen any Taiwanese tv shows or movies, it's all wire and all CGI. They are walking on air the whole time.[/QUOTE]

maybe its not wire work and taiwanese people can really do all that stuff in real life..........speaking of martial arts who was that white chick who used to do martial arts films? she was kinda big in the 90s.

[quote name='lokizz']maybe its not wire work and taiwanese people can really do all that stuff in real life..........speaking of martial arts who was that white chick who used to do martial arts films? she was kinda big in the 90s.[/QUOTE]

First white female that comes to mind is Cynthia Rothrock, who was in Above the Law (not the Segal one) with Yuen Biao and Melvin Wong. Speaking of which, that was 1993, so it almost counts. There's some real corniness, but Yuen Biao's gotten no love in this thread (other than someone mentioning The Prodigal Son)

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Yuen Biao's gotten no love in this thread (other than someone mentioning The Prodigal Son)[/QUOTE]

I mentioned several films in my Jackie Chan section that feature Yuen Biao. You really can't have one without the other.:D

[quote name='shieryda']I mentioned several films in my Jackie Chan section that feature Yuen Biao. You really can't have one without the other.:D[/QUOTE]

That's true, but give the guy some starring love! :lol:

Also: Just watched Ip Man 2 (I didn't have much to do today). I liked it. It lacks some of the immediacy of the first, and the fights are a bit more enhanced (though still not too excessive), but overall, I enjoyed the development of the story. The interplay between Sammo and Donnie's characters was pretty well done, IMO. The key thing for me: As opposed to True Legend, I wasn't bored during this movie at all.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']That's true, but give the guy some starring love! :lol:

[/QUOTE]

Man, I always laugh at some the of the titles of these films. I just looked at Yuen's flimography on imdb, and he was in one called "Burger Cop".:lol:

Also, I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but "Sukiyaki Western Django" is a pretty cool film.

bread's done
Back