Resident Evil 4 (Wii) - $12.59 on Amazon

^ If you have a Wii as well, I highly recommend this version, especially for this price. Better graphics and the Wiimote controls for this game are great!

Damn...I want to jump on this and I don't have a Wii...yet. I have this game on PS2, and 2 copies on Gamecube (1 Player's Choice that I played and 1 Black Label that's sealed).

What can I say? RE4 is one of my favorite games...ever. ;)

This is my favorite version of RE4 hands down, but I don't think I'd pay that price for this game if I didn't have it already. :/

It was 13.00ish about two weeks ago.

I've played this game at least 100 hours across all platforms. :p
Deal of the century, IMO.

[quote name='GamerChris']Would I like this version if I hated the gamecube contols?[/QUOTE]

I'd seriously doubt it. The game controlled great with a GameCube pad (which supposedly works in this version as well, though I never tried it) but the Wii controls are absolutely terrible. It's basically the same deal as with a standard gamepad, you move with the analog stick on the nunchuk and when you want to shoot you hold a button and use the stick to aim the camera. But instead of your weapon aiming where you turn the camera you have to use the Wii remote to point at the screen like a lightgun game, which might sound great (I don't really think it does, but maybe you do) but in practice it's pretty horrible. In fact, I'd say it's one of the worst, if not the worst, control schemes I have ever experienced playing a video game.

[quote name='hpv']I'd seriously doubt it. The game controlled great with a GameCube pad (which supposedly works in this version as well, though I never tried it) but the Wii controls are absolutely terrible. It's basically the same deal as with a standard gamepad, you move with the analog stick on the nunchuk and when you want to shoot you hold a button and use the stick to aim the camera. But instead of your weapon aiming where you turn the camera you have to use the Wii remote to point at the screen like a lightgun game, which might sound great (I don't really think it does, but maybe you do) but in practice it's pretty horrible. In fact, I'd say it's one of the worst, if not the worst, control schemes I have ever experienced playing a video game.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't work with a 'Cube controller unfortunately. The advantages to this version are widescreen support, the PS2 bonuses (the Plagas Laser Cannon and an outfit), 480p if you've got the cables, and "enhanced Wii functionality." That last part just means the quicktime events are more finnicky because you have to jostle a motion sensor and the game is WAY too easy because you can aim at an enemy's head and kill it before it can initiate its ducking algorithm. That said this is one of my favorite games of all-time and it's well worth it for this version even if the controls are slightly worse than PC, PS2, and Cube. It's a longer, better game than RE5 with a better assortment of weapons, more frightening environs, and a much more compelling plot.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I have it, I love it, and I recommend buying it. It's one of the Wii's best games.[/QUOTE]

+1. One of the best games I've played on the Wii, and one of a handful I played from start to finish.

Will you like the controls? YMMV.
Personally, I love the Wii control system. In fact, it now saddens to me to play the other RE games because they lack this setup.

If they re-made all the RE games with the Wii controls, I'd rebuy in heartbeat.

[quote name='hpv']I'd seriously doubt it. The game controlled great with a GameCube pad (which supposedly works in this version as well, though I never tried it) but the Wii controls are absolutely terrible. It's basically the same deal as with a standard gamepad, you move with the analog stick on the nunchuk and when you want to shoot you hold a button and use the stick to aim the camera. But instead of your weapon aiming where you turn the camera you have to use the Wii remote to point at the screen like a lightgun game, which might sound great (I don't really think it does, but maybe you do) but in practice it's pretty horrible. In fact, I'd say it's one of the worst, if not the worst, control schemes I have ever experienced playing a video game.[/QUOTE]

Personal opinion, I loved this game and the Wii controls, and I don't think I would have been able to play with a normal controller. The (literally) point and shoot aspect just made it fun.

[quote name='guyd00dman']Personal opinion, I loved this game and the Wii controls, and I don't think I would have been able to play with a normal controller. The (literally) point and shoot aspect just made it fun.[/QUOTE]

^This

Even if you hate the Wiimote, you can use a GC or Classic Controller.

This is a MUST BUY for the Wii. I'd buy it again if I didn't still own it. Wii version is definitely the best one of the three.

[quote name='mindsale']The advantages to this version are widescreen support, the PS2 bonuses (the Plagas Laser Cannon and an outfit), 480p if you've got the cables[/QUOTE]

Is the 480p quality exactly the same as the Gamecube 480p version (through the component cables), or is it more enhanced/even better looking on Wii?

[quote name='mindsale']It doesn't work with a 'Cube controller unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

Is it Classic controller only then? Like I said, I never tried playing it with my Wavebird but I've heard and read that it works with both from sources of varying reputation.

Edit: According to the Internets the way to play with the GameCube controller is to plug it in at the main menu and then unplug the nunchuk.

[quote name='guyd00dman']Personal opinion, I loved this game and the Wii controls, and I don't think I would have been able to play with a normal controller. The (literally) point and shoot aspect just made it fun.[/QUOTE]

It's the aiming of the screen with the analog stick and pointing within that window using the remote that ruins it. It would have been playable if you could rotate the camera using the pointer, though still a bit crap because of the Wii's low fidelity.

[quote name='CENNY']Is the 480p quality exactly the same as the Gamecube 480p version (through the component cables), or is it more enhanced/even better looking on Wii?[/QUOTE]

The Wii version is 480p widescreen and will look a lot better on an HDTV than the GameCube version, which is letterboxed.

bread's done
Back