Shmups and your/my favorites

ncc1701p

CAGiversary!
[quote name='destro4eva']That set up of yours is really flippin' cool. What other SHMUPs do you have? Any favorites?[/QUOTE]

based on this:

ts a 23" 1080P vizio i picked up at costco.. small tvs @ 1080p are such a pain to find. But its using full 1080p hdmi . I'm fickle in my setups
http://www.vizio.com/flat-panel-hdtvs/vm230xvt.html
Its basically has HDMI + VGA + component + svhs + composite + 2 Hdmi @1080p But its light enough to mount to this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FLXW90/ref=oss_product

As far as a Death Smiles II US Release that would be good. Im mixed on DS2 cuz its so rendered and I usually like rendered stuff. BUt I do Like Otomedius G

Would be nice if they imported more shmups over . Importing can be pricy

This is my current Japanese Xbox 360 Shmup Setup:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_LQwo58LBEVk/S-ZHuhRfzNI/AAAAAAAANBo/cnl38wUlda8/DSC00040.JPG

@destro4eva

Currently I gotta say that finally playing Ketsui is now my most favorite shmup. I've almost bought the actual PCB which I almost spent $1300. Though once I learned it was coming to the 360 I held off and for the moment I'm glad I did. Recently on YAJ the PCB sold for $700 which is a better savings. I'd still like to own it eventually. Cave's port of Ketsui is perfect as far as loading times and how the mechanics of the games play out.

My most favorite horizontal shmup is Death Smiles (DS2 coming at the end of the month!) then Otomedius G. In the beginning of the 360 history Otomedius was the 1st different shmup to be released but slowly more trickled in and now we have variety.

For me there are a variety of shmups for whatever my mood is. The quick fun shmup IMHO is Shooting Love 200X. But when I wanna Rage I play some Raiden IV.

A look at my 360 collection as a whole:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ncc1701p/Xbox360#
^^^^ Oh yeah no laffing at Duplicates that are avail in america :cool:

What are other people's favorite shmups (Foreign or domestic).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='myl0r']this thread confuses me, so I'll say Aegis Wing[/QUOTE]

Background info:
in a Death Smiles Thread in the CAG /deal forum we were talking about shmups. Someone posted how they like Japanese shmups and i replied "here check out my Japanese 360 shmup setup". Some replied with cool setup,etc.. I just didnt want to thread-jack that other discussion based on my stuff. So I figured I'd open up something elsehwere and here I am. I rarely post outside of the deals/freebee forums.

its just basically hey what shmups do you like. I personally do alot of Japnese gaming/importing so alot my shmups come from there as they are seldomly released in the USA.

I also like Aegis wing and how you can somewhat Voltron/transform into a bigger ship and the Co-Op aspect of the game. Its very nice that M$ made this a free-bee. It was one of my 1st DLCs on the 360.

[quote name='madcyantist']nice shmup-setup!!

i wish Harmful Park would come to 360 :d[/QUOTE]

LoL I wish but thats gonna end up on PSN if it ever does.. PSN has some amazingly rare shmups for mega cheap $6-10 (Vacuum Kids & Darius Gaiden).

@Unaki:
I got the joystick when I was in Japan. Had a buddy order it for me and hold it there and i LUGGED it back to America. I tried to import it from a place here but they never fulfilled their stock and I wanted it so dam badly. It was cheaper while on my trip to bring it back. Like most arcade freaks I'll end up replacing the Buttons and the joystick one day whenever i'm bored. There is a Death Smiles 2 joystick also coming out. I'll probably end up lugging that back to America next year.. There is a mushihime-sama joystick but I was into DeathSmiles way more to import it.

But yeah.. I like shmups.. simple & Challenging. My shmup collection is insanely big but like in star wars "There's always a bigger fish".

My Holy Grail of shmups that im working on is: a 60" TV (Currently a 46" in the living room) and get the stand/holder that allows me to rotate it to correct Tate-mode. Its out there and the stand is about $400 . I salivate everytime I find it but it will happen one day. Its a personal goal im striving for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! I have the Espgaluda II faceplate on my US 360. Unfortunately, I have yet to pick up my Japanese 360 to actually play the game though. I did play the free ipod touch/iphone version which was fun!

How is the input lag on the Vizio if you notice any? I would assume that people into shooters, like people into fighting games, would be sensitive to input lag on a lcd screen/monitor.

Also, the Mamoru-kun special edition...what does the DVD show? Just people playing it and showing tip and tricks?

I can't wait for my Jpn 360 so I can finally get into playing all the shumps. I'm most likely going to pick up the Mushihime-sama arcade stick since it has the Seimitsu stick and upgrades the stock hori buttons with some high-grade Sanwas.

@superdry

-If- there is any input lag i really can't see it. I've had a few other shmup folks to my place now and then and they don't complain/notice about any lag time. I dont know anyone else that has this monitor that plays what I do. My previous tate-monitor was a Gateway 23" which has everything except HDMI & stuck at 1080i and I used VGA on it and it was equally as stellar. I'm not the greatest shmup player by any means but its my favorite and I do try to keep challenging myself to just getting better & better. As far as mamoru-kun I admit have never played the dvd yet. >_< . I like the DSmiles stick design but the Mushi-stick green kinda bothers me. Just a personal thing. (almost as annoying as the SF IV arcade stick that MadCatz released [Border white on the outside] ).

@unaki
No I havent tried to go maniac and do 2p ikaruga LOL. Maybe if I drink enough Rum I'll have the attitude and try it and not care weather I succeed or fail. Granted I know one guy in Japan who is incredibly amazing at some shmups and I bow to him. IMHO theres always 1 person in Japan thats extremely good at that one game and this what he's known by.

@diebythesword
Awesome thread of the shmups that are made. This is my personal list: http://goo.gl/8Sx4
everything that a "*" in the beginning of the line I do own. Yes a few dupes here and there for platforms but I'm somewhat of a perfectionist. Im SLOWLY trying to see if I can put my Collection here on CAG. For the moment its alot easier for me to take a pic of the game and slap it up on picasa. Its how I keep my 'inventory'.

I JUST upgraded my JP360 to a 120GB HD (was down to 10gigs) and did a nice xfer/copy of everything over to it (now 65Gb free). Loaded up every shmup I own and went into each game and switched it to tate-mode. Though I must admit that Espagaluda ][ when its it tate-mode unfortunately you can't scale out the screen cuz of the other 'sub-screens' . I think this this is the only tate-mode game that kinda fails and is actually better in yoko-mode. Though I admit that Deathsmiles & Otomedius are awesome on a bigger TV when in vertical/yoko-mode.

nice collection and setup, haven't played a ton of shmups played demon star a bit and like it when I was younger, maybe a few other pc games at a friends house that I cannot remember. Have however played einhander a ton over the years did take me a long while to unlock the selene and barely used it when I did.

Sadly only had a pirated copy most of that time. But a few months ago got a hold of a japanese and an english copy, lowballed(a best offer)the japanese copy to some extent was not expecting the seller to accept 18$+ $6 shipping was already showing as discounted a good bit and the english one was I think $33 + $3 shipping from someone in canada yay cheap shipping(since learned from goomba can cost about the same to come from the states), couldn't help bidding on it, totaled out to $60 us for both + paypal fees.

Got a question if anyone can help. I'm planning to get a J-360 so I can actually play my soon-to-ship copy of Deathsmiles II X, but I was wondering what might be the best way to go about getting one. Should I use a middleman and get one off of Amazon.jp (for example), or go with someone like NCSX or Play-Asia?

ncc1701 - sick list of games. Haven't played like half of what you have there.

Can we try to put together a list of stateside shmups? It would be a great checklist to have, esp since xbla/psn/vc add some every once in a while.

Wow. You are REALLY into Shmups :D I appreciate a good shmup and have deathsmiles LE/US Version preordered, but not to the degree of wanting a JP360. That said... that Deathsmiles stick is f'in awesome.

I love your setup, OP. Your personal goal sounds amazing. I would love to see that in action - pictures or video. I'll have to check your collection from home - its blocked @ work. DOHHH!

I like s shmup called sengoku blade for the saturn. Ketsui is awesome. I really enjoy the DS "port." Also, the dodonpachi games. But really, I love all shmups.
@madcyantist - good call on harmful park.

I play them, although I'm not a HUGE fan. Played Deathsmiles at a Neo-Geo.com gathering and love it! Got it pre-ordered. I've also played Muchi muchi pork. Fun game. I also own Raiden IV and Fighters Jet. Haven't played much of IV.

Are the 2 latest Cave releases that are region free worth importing? ESPGaluda II & the other one? I'd like to play ESPGII on the iPod touch, but mine's too old.

[quote name='Ginsburger']
Can we try to put together a list of stateside shmups? It would be a great checklist to have[/QUOTE]

seconded.

I hadn't heard about Otomedius, but that is cool. Like every one else said, the price is a little steep. If the Japanese got DLC for it and it's included in the US release, then it might be worth it. I'd like to see the math though. On one hand I want to support them so maybe they'll publish more shmups, but on the other hand I don't want to pay for something that is overpriced. If it comes with some extras like Deathsmiles, I'll have no problem paying $60. thanks for the heads up oscargrouch.

Question about that stand... When you have your screen rotated 90 degrees, does it stay rotated in-place very well? I've been looking around for something similar, but usually TVs don't have their mounting holes at the dead center. For example, this one has the mounting holes closer to the top. If you rotate that TV, the holes would be to the left/right, and the balance wouldn't be centered. I could potentially see the TV not staying perpendicular. Is this a valid concern?

bread's done
Back