Plan to Build Mosque Near Ground Zero Riles Families of 9/11 Victims

IRHari

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/14/plan-build-mosque-near-ground-zero-riles-families-victims/

Plan to Build Mosque Near Ground Zero Riles Families of 9/11 Victims

By Lauren Green
- FOXNews.com

Outraged family members and community groups are accusing a Muslim group of trying to rewrite history with its plans to build a 13-story mosque and cultural center just two blocks from Ground Zero, where Islamic extremists flew two planes into the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001.
"This is a place which is 600 feet from where almost 3,000 people were torn to pieces by Islamic extremists," said Debra Burlingame, whose brother died in the attack on the Pentagon that day.
"I think that it is incredibly insensitive and audacious really for them to build a mosque, not only on that site, but to do it specifically so that they could be in proximity to where that atrocity happened," said Burlingame, who is co-founder of 9/11 Families for a Safe and Strong America.
The 13-story mosque and cultural center will be built on the site of a four-story building that was a Burlington Coat Factory retail store until 9/11, when part of a plane's landing gear crashed through the roof. The building, which will be razed, currently houses a mosque.
The New York City Mayor's office says "It's private property, and the area is zoned for uses that include this one."
Pamela Gellar, executive director of Stop Islamization of America, blasted the organization behind the plans, Cordoba Initiative, and its leader, Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, saying the project is "an insulting flag of conquest of Islamic supremacism."
Is this a big deal? Should we say that all Muslims are just like the 9/11 Muslims?

Well if there is already a mosque there anyway...

It seems like a good place for it...that makes sense to me.

[quote name='SpazX']Well if there is already a mosque there anyway...

It seems like a good place for it...that makes sense to me.[/QUOTE]

yep, I see no issue.

Where were they when the original mosque was setting up???

Although I don't have an issue with it I can definitely see why others might. It would probably be a much better idea not to do this to avoid potential conflict in the future. Many Americans are NOT as open minded and may feel the need for revenge and this would be a reasonable outlet for them to do it.

You know, I always hear people complain that, when some horrible thing happens involving Muslim extremists, that Muslims don't do enough to distance themselves from it. Here, we have an instance of a group working to try to improve relations, show what Islam is actually about, and, judging by their website, show how the 9/11 attacks were horrible and not representative of their faith, and people still aren't happy.

If not 2 blocks, what's the correct distance for a mosque to be built from Ground Zero? Oh right, these people would likely prefer there be no mosques in this country whatsoever.

Personally, I think it's great. More power to them.

Ok, here's a number to figure out: How many of the victims (not including terrorists) who died at Ground Zero were Muslim? I don't have a definite number, but I'm sure at least a few? So just because they share the same "faith" as those responsible, their memory gets the proverbial middle finger?

Ugh, I could keep going, but I'll be typing all night. I hope that the mosque does get built with no issue and shows these holier-than-thou jackholes that this country is not just for them.

When keeping in mind the news sources you use in future discussions here and elsewhere, keep in mind that FOX News gives legitimacy to an organization calling itself "Stop Islamization of America."

Think on it.

Why do you think I picked it as the source ? ;)

If I picked another news source it might not have been presented in such a heated and controversial way. That would've lead to a less interesting discussion.

On the one hand I'm glad everyone who has posted here so far understands that this is not a big deal, and it should not be a big deal. I was actually hoping someone would come in here and try to defend 'stoptheislamizationofamerica', but alas, this is a boring discussion.

Again, tea partiers don't want to be described on the basis of their fringe groups (John Birchers, birthers, etc.), I think it's only fair that they extend billions of Muslims the same courtesy.

[quote name='sp00ge']Ok, here's a number to figure out: How many of the victims (not including terrorists) who died at Ground Zero were Muslim? I don't have a definite number, but I'm sure at least a few? So just because they share the same "faith" as those responsible, their memory gets the proverbial middle finger?

Ugh, I could keep going, but I'll be typing all night. I hope that the mosque does get built with no issue and shows these holier-than-thou jackholes that this country is not just for them.[/QUOTE]

I can't find a number but i did find a few names.

Samad Afridi
Ashraf Ahmad
Shabbir Ahmad (45 years old; Windows on the World; leaves wife and 3 children)
Umar Ahmad
Azam Ahsan
Ahmed Ali
Tariq Amanullah (40 years old; Fiduciary Trust Co.; ICNA website team member; leaves wife and 2 children)
Touri Bolourchi (69 years old; United Airlines #175; a retired nurse from Tehran)
Salauddin Ahmad Chaudhury
Abdul K. Chowdhury (30 years old; Cantor Fitzgerald)
Mohammad S. Chowdhury (39 years old; Windows on the World; leaves wife and child born 2 days after the attack)
Jamal Legesse Desantis
Ramzi Attallah Douani (35 years old; Marsh & McLennan)
SaleemUllah Farooqi
Syed Fatha (54 years old; Pitney Bowes)
Osman Gani
Mohammad Hamdani (50 years old)
Salman Hamdani (NYPD Cadet)
Aisha Harris (21 years old; General Telecom)
Shakila Hoque (Marsh & McLennan)
Nabid Hossain
Shahzad Hussain
Talat Hussain
Mohammad Shah Jahan (Marsh & McLennan)
Yasmeen Jamal
Mohammed Jawarta (MAS security)
Arslan Khan Khakwani
Asim Khan
Ataullah Khan
Ayub Khan
Qasim Ali Khan
Sarah Khan (32 years old; Cantor Fitzgerald)
Taimour Khan (29 years old; Karr Futures)
Yasmeen Khan
Zahida Khan
Badruddin Lakhani
Omar Malick
Nurul Hoque Miah (36 years old)
Mubarak Mohammad (23 years old)
Boyie Mohammed (Carr Futures)
Raza Mujtaba
Omar Namoos
Mujeb Qazi
Tarranum Rahim
Ehtesham U. Raja (28 years old)
Ameenia Rasool (33 years old)
Naveed Rehman
Yusuf Saad
Rahma Salie & unborn child (28 years old; American Airlines #11; wife of Michael Theodoridis; 7 months pregnant)
Shoman Samad
Asad Samir
Khalid Shahid (25 years old; Cantor Fitzgerald; engaged to be married in November)
Mohammed Shajahan (44 years old; Marsh & McLennan)
Naseema Simjee (Franklin Resources Inc.'s Fiduciary Trust)
Jamil Swaati
Sanober Syed
Robert Elias Talhami (40 years old; Cantor Fitzgerald)
Michael Theodoridis (32 years old; American Airlines #11; husband of Rahma Salie)
W. Wahid

[quote name='perdition(troy']so arab names = muslim

no profiling going on here.[/QUOTE]

Michael Theodoridis sounds as Greek as sodomy.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Note: This list is as yet incomplete and unconfirmed.[/QUOTE]

Which means an Islamic organization just listed off Arab names, gotcha.

palin+tweet.png

RT @DanaHoule: If group building Mosque had issued doc w "refudiate," they would have been ridiculed for not being fluent in English

lol, this is so fucked up, but what she said is so hilarious.

And what kind of melodramatic soap opera shit is "too raw, too real"?

I fucking love Fox News and how none of the dummies that read it can figure out how they are being manipulated into a us vs them mentality by the way it is written.

Outraged family members and community groups are accusing a Muslim group of trying to rewrite history (Rewrite history? I guess they mean make people forget about 9/11 and the fact that Muslims are blood thirsty monsters?) with its plans to build a 13-story mosque and cultural center just two blocks from Ground Zero, where Islamic extremists flew two planes into the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001.
"This is a place which is 600 feet from where almost 3,000 people were torn to pieces by Islamic extremists," said Debra Burlingame, whose brother died in the attack on the Pentagon that day.
"I think that it is incredibly insensitive and audacious really for them to build a mosque, not only on that site, but to do it specifically so that they could be in proximity to where that atrocity happened," said Burlingame, who is co-founder of 9/11 Families for a Safe and Strong America. (Two people with no real qualifications speak on the matter. Put in to get a knee jerk reaction. NEVER FORGET!)
The 13-story mosque and cultural center will be built on the site of a four-story building that was a Burlington Coat Factory retail store until 9/11, when part of a plane's landing gear crashed through the roof. The building, which will be razed, currently houses a mosque. (Wait, there already is a TERRORIST MOSQUE at the location? What's the problem? Are they trying to imply that THE MUSLIMS are flaunting their terrorists ways by building a new, bigger building?)
The New York City Mayor's office says "It's private property, and the area is zoned for uses that include this one." (Government official saying what we don't like. fuck THE GOVERNMENT!)
Pamela Gellar, executive director of Stop Islamization of America, blasted the organization behind the plans, Cordoba Initiative, and its leader, Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, saying the project is "an insulting flag of conquest of Islamic supremacism." (Yup, they were implying that. Thanks random fucking retard for "standing up for America".)

completely OT, but the way that your red subquotes pop off my screen is almost like 3D and sort of makes me dizzy but is a very neat effect.

What I find most hilarious is that the location is ALREADY a Mosque. Oh well, at least if it's a Mosque they can't take our jobs...

Besides, isn't there a church fairly near The Colleseum where the Romans fed Christians to the lions as an early form of family values based entertainment?

[quote name='mr_burnzz']Although I don't have an issue with it I can definitely see why others might. It would probably be a much better idea not to do this to avoid potential conflict in the future. Many Americans are NOT as open minded and may feel the need for revenge and this would be a reasonable outlet for them to do it.[/QUOTE]

And thats exactly why there should be one there. The shit about being politically correct, always having to be careful not to offend another people and walking on eggshells has gone way to far and it needs to stop. Americans need to toughen up and stop acting like a bunch of over sensitive pussies and just learn that were all equal and everyone should be treated the same. Hell I cant even say no to most people when they ask a yes or no question, if I just flat out say no they look like I slapped them. I have to make sure I reassure them and sugar coat my no and not actually say no. To many fucking gap greeters on their break at starbucks run their mouths anymore and have pussified the countrys feelings.

Why should they not build one? To avoid a conflict later? Well shit, then we should all just stop doing everything alltogether because anything any one of us does might hurt someone elses feelings or offend them. We will all just stay in our homes, eat shredded wheat and never say a damn word to anyone or go outside so that way we can all make sure you dont offend someone else.

That whole 911 ass hurting bullshit pro america propaganda crap is a bunch of horseshit anyway and needs to stop. Yeah big fucking deal, some assholes knocked over some buildings. Am I the only one who isnt surprised? America as a country has during past 20 years on and off bombing their country, making fun of them on our media and so on. Was it a surprise they hit us back? True it wasnt the country as a whole that did it but if say china rolled tanks down your streets and blew up your home wouldnt you be kind of pissed off? While we suck eachothers dicks at how awesome we are the rest of the world hates us, and Im not sorry to say it but they are right. Its one thing if a few people dont like you, but when everyone dislikes you then your doing something wrong. If it wasnt for our military no one would even bother inviting us to UN meetings.

[quote name='gargus']That whole 911 ass hurting bullshit pro america propaganda crap is a bunch of horseshit anyway and needs to stop. Yeah big fucking deal, some assholes knocked over some buildings. Am I the only one who isnt surprised? America as a country has during past 20 years on and off bombing their country, making fun of them on our media and so on. Was it a surprise they hit us back? True it wasnt the country as a whole that did it but if say china rolled tanks down your streets and blew up your home wouldnt you be kind of pissed off? While we suck eachothers dicks at how awesome we are the rest of the world hates us, and Im not sorry to say it but they are right. Its one thing if a few people dont like you, but when everyone dislikes you then your doing something wrong. If it wasnt for our military no one would even bother inviting us to UN meetings.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to thank you for adding some much-needed self-loathing to this thread.

[quote name='IRHari']
Is this a big deal? Should we say that all Muslims are just like the 9/11 Muslims?[/QUOTE]

Even if they are, there's nothing there to blow up anymore. They could build a fort out of Jenga blocks for all I care.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
New York, NY, July 28, 2010 ... The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) today issued the following statement regarding the proposed Islamic Center near Ground Zero in Manhattan:

We regard freedom of religion as a cornerstone of the American democracy, and that freedom must include the right of all Americans – Christian, Jewish, Muslim, and other faiths – to build community centers and houses of worship.

We categorically reject appeals to bigotry on the basis of religion, and condemn those whose opposition to this proposed Islamic Center is a manifestation of such bigotry.

However, there are understandably strong passions and keen sensitivities surrounding the World Trade Center site. We are ever mindful of the tragedy which befell our nation there, the pain we all still feel – and especially the anguish of the families and friends of those who were killed on September 11, 2001.

The controversy which has emerged regarding the building of an Islamic Center at this location is counterproductive to the healing process. Therefore, under these unique circumstances, we believe the City of New York would be better served if an alternative location could be found.

In recommending that a different location be found for the Islamic Center, we are mindful that some legitimate questions have been raised about who is providing the funding to build it, and what connections, if any, its leaders might have with groups whose ideologies stand in contradiction to our shared values. These questions deserve a response, and we hope those backing the project will be transparent and forthcoming. But regardless of how they respond, the issue at stake is a broader one.

Proponents of the Islamic Center may have every right to build at this site, and may even have chosen the site to send a positive message about Islam. The bigotry some have expressed in attacking them is unfair, and wrong. But ultimately this is not a question of rights, but a question of what is right. In our judgment, building an Islamic Center in the shadow of the World Trade Center will cause some victims more pain – unnecessarily – and that is not right.
The Anti-Defamation League, founded in 1913, is the world's leading organization fighting anti-Semitism through programs and services that counteract hatred, prejudice and bigotry.
[/FONT]

awesome

I don't technically have a problem with it since a Mosque is basically a church.

Where I see the problem is that even if this Mosque is being founded by NON-Radical Muslims you're going to have to shake a stick to keep the radicals away. I mean I can see this Mosque being used by radicals to praise the 9/11 attacks and being used to recruit for said radical groups.
So the non Radicals better be driving said little shits out all the time.

Heh, so if it was a synagogue being built I'm sure they'd fight tooth and nail for it, but since it's a mosque they're going to throw in with the rest of the knuckle dragging bigots.

^ Right. One thing I'll give the ACLU credit for that very, very, very few other orgs in the US similarly do: they defend groups based on the merit of their claims, with zero regard for who the groups are or what their message is.

But the ADL can fuck off and die.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']They could build a fort out of Jenga blocks for all I care.[/QUOTE]
That's a wonderful idea - The kids could come and help, and then people could realize muslims aren't all bad people!

JENGA MOSQUE NOW.

[quote name='Sarang01']I don't technically have a problem with it since a Mosque is basically a church.

Where I see the problem is that even if this Mosque is being founded by NON-Radical Muslims you're going to have to shake a stick to keep the radicals away. I mean I can see this Mosque being used by radicals to praise the 9/11 attacks and being used to recruit for said radical groups.
So the non Radicals better be driving said little shits out all the time.[/QUOTE]
Mosques aren't recruitment centers. :roll:

New York, NY, July 28, 2010 ... The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) today issued the following statement regarding the proposed Islamic Center near Ground Zero in Manhattan:
We support the First Amendment...

...except when we don't.

Sorry, ADL, but the Constitution doesn't give a damn about your "feelings". Guaranteed rights are guaranteed.

~HotShotX

[quote name='NYT'] Asked why the opposition of the families was so pivotal in the decision, Mr. Foxman, a Holocaust survivor, said they were entitled to their emotions.
“Survivors of the Holocaust are entitled to feelings that are irrational,” he said. Referring to the loved ones of Sept. 11 victims, he said, “Their anguish entitles them to positions that others would categorize as irrational or bigoted.”
[/QUOTE]

They're certainly entitled to those positions. But should we kowtow to those irrational positions via public policy?

[quote name='dorino']Mosques aren't recruitment centers. :roll:[/QUOTE]

MOST aren't.

Just as there are Christian Churches that likely have Anti-Abortion radicals meeting there, planning protests or clinic bombings.

[quote name='Sarang01']MOST aren't.

Just as there are Christian Churches that likely have Anti-Abortion radicals meeting there, planning protests or clinic bombings.[/QUOTE]
That's not a good reason at all to turn this down. That's just unwarranted fear. :roll:

I didn't say I think it should be turned down! I said they need to watch out for the radicals that will come in and try to co-op their Mosque and give it a Terroristic bent.

[quote name='Sarang01']I didn't say I think it should be turned down! I said they need to watch out for the radicals that will come in and try to co-op their Mosque and give it a Terroristic bent.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's not like the mosque, if it gets built, would be under surveillance or scrutiny, after all.

No, all the scrutiny will disappear when it gets built. Also, "Familes of 9/11 Victims" should be changed to "Republicans"

[quote name='mykevermin']Yeah, it's not like the mosque, if it gets built, would be under surveillance or scrutiny, after all.[/QUOTE]

You and I both know there are terrorist groups that would STILL be stupid enough to try recruiting at such an actively surveilled target.

[quote name='Sarang01']You and I both know there are terrorist groups that would STILL be stupid enough to try recruiting at such an actively surveilled target.[/QUOTE]

How many Islamic terrorist sects are actually located in or can get to New York City for recruiting purposes?

Seems like a non-issue to me. It may attract one or two crazies but that can be said about almost any building.

Yeah, terrorists aren't as big a threat as some make them out to be. I'd be more scared of Christian extremists, to be honest. They're here in larger numbers.

[quote name='dorino']Yeah, terrorists aren't as big a threat as some make them out to be. I'd be more scared of Christian extremists, to be honest. They're here in larger numbers.[/QUOTE]

I can't tell if you're being serious.

bread's done
Back