I have a problem, I'm obsessed with buying new games. Are you?

nystate

CAGiversary!
Feedback
45 (100%)
And I don't even have the time to beat the old ones. I just bought ME 2 in Feb then Heavy Rain in March. Next I bought AC II in April. After that Far Cry 2. I'll never get to beat Dead Space now! LoL. I just bought RDR off of Ebay ($44.00 no tax free ship).
Anyone else have this prob? I need help ROFL.

I was starting to, but have finally realized it's good to save money over stupid games. I now have a really small "backlog" with only 4 games, being Alan Wake, Read Dead Revolver, Mass Effect 2, and Final Fantasy 13 for 360.
I am going to beat them before I get a new one. I'm trying this whole 2 games at a time before buying new ones and it works out a lot better. I hated having a huge backlog, what a waste.

[quote name='doodofdoods']I've yet to play most of the one's I bought last year. It can become a problem. but the deals are so good.[/QUOTE]

I agree. But I'm going to quit for awhile. But I still want Batman: AA Alpha, Protocol, Mafia II, LBP 2, Alan Wake and LA Noire. Next game I'm payin full price for is LA Noire. Unless it gets crap ratings.

I was the same way. I still have Gamcube, PS2, and Original Xbox games I have never even opened. I used to buy new games all the time for full price. Then I started to see great deals online on Newegg and Amazon and places like that. This website alone has saved me a ton of money over the past couple years. I still get the games I want, I just intentionally wait. I've learned to have patience.

Nope.

I went into this gen with the goal of trying to only buy (or acquire period) new games that I don't plan on playing soon.

Thus I never have more than 1-2 games on the shelf waiting to be played.

I love it as I don't feel pressured to rush throw games to clear out a backlog etc. unlike last gen where I tended to have 5-10 games leering at me on the shelf which started to make gaming feel like work. I could never deal with the huge backlogs many here have.

I know what you mean. I used to buy every new game when it came out but now I limit myself by doing the following:
1. Read multiple reviews of the game www.metacritic.com
2. Play the demo if available (saved me several times from buying games I would have otherwise bought. Example Modnation I did not like the controls and canceled my preorder but played Split Second demo and loved it)
3. Once I identified the games I want I shop online for the lowest price with the most bonuses or gift cards.
4. Go through my collection and see if there is anything I probably wont play again. Example: UFC 2009 I would sell to put toward UFC 2010 or Heavy Rain after I beat it a few times. I do like to keep games that have a lot of replayability either single or multiplayer such as Mass Effects or Uncharted.
5. For those titles that I am on the fence I will wait for the price to drop. I have noticed new games drop in price within a few weeks now just look at how God of War 3 and Splinter Cell Conviction prices dropped.

More so I buy one game then I want to find more deals and think I'm saving money when instead I'm digging a hole for my backlog and losing more money. I Have a 300 some game backlog for god's sake.

[quote name='Stinker101']I know what you mean. I used to buy every new game when it came out but now I limit myself by doing the following:
1. Read multiple reviews of the game www.metacritic.com
2. Play the demo if available (saved me several times from buying games I would have otherwise bought. Example Modnation I did not like the controls and canceled my preorder but played Split Second demo and loved it)
3. Once I identified the games I want I shop online for the lowest price with the most bonuses or gift cards.
4. Go through my collection and see if there is anything I probably wont play again. Example: UFC 2009 I would sell to put toward UFC 2010 or Heavy Rain after I beat it a few times. I do like to keep games that have a lot of replayability either single or multiplayer such as Mass Effects or Uncharted.
5. For those titles that I am on the fence I will wait for the price to drop. I have noticed new games drop in price within a few weeks now just look at how God of War 3 and Splinter Cell Conviction prices dropped.[/QUOTE]

You are doing it right. I only pre-order now when I have a good idea of what the game is like and want it. Still hold off opening those until first reviews come in. Alpha Protocol I pre-ordered with the 25 off promo with gears 3 because I was pretty sure I will like and buy both right away, and they had a great list of bonus in game items for Alpha Protocol.

Lately I find myself adding games to my amazon wishlist and placing a dollar value in the comments for what price point I feel it is worth based on descriptions for the game and ratings. I don't have a lot of games I still want to buy, so I am holding out until I find the prices I want so my backlog is demolished when they drop to the right spot. (I am looking at you Fallout 3 Game of the Year edition!)

Only 2 games in my backlog and one will be done before my pre-order shows up.

i don't have such problem. when i bought my 360 in april last year i picked up 17 games for 10-15$ each between april and june. and now since i've finished almost all of them numerous times i picked another 17 games that were very cheap. i only buy games i checked before and know i will play them for a long time.

I buy some new games, but never pay full price for them (Amazon credits FTW!).

I've also tried to limit my new game purchases to games I reeeally want to play right away.

Games I've recently purchased new:

- Skate 3
- SSF IV
- Read Dead Redemption

Buying too many games is only a problem if your broke.

Maybe not to the OPs extent but I did this when I was younger. When I had little responsibility when it came to money. All I did was make my $7 an hour and spend it on crap I didn't need. I miss those carefree days.

I'm like a yo-yo when it comes to my purchasing habits. About 2 years ago, I went nuts and bought every game I wanted, and then picked up a bunch of older stuff at some B2G1 sales throughout the year. I had a backlog that was pretty deep for me (20+), and i resolved myself to stop making purchases until it was resolved. I actually got that list down to about 3 games while only making a few other purchases in between (namely Uncharted 2). As soon as I got near the bottom of the pile though, my problem flared up again and I've started buying new stuff again.. 6 new games this month (Monster Hunter, SSF4, Lost Planet 2, RDR, MarioGalaxy2, Modnation Racers) and 3 next month.

I don't mind the backlog- as much as I mind not being able to finish things. I'm going to be upset with myself on Sunday when RDR goes back in the case for a few weeks while I destroy Mario Galaxy 2.

By July, I'll have resolved myself to not buy anything else- and I'll allow myself some peace so I can kick back and enjoy some of the stuff I've got.

Sort of. I'm pretty bad with RPGs. I buy just about every new one that's out.

One good thing - I don't sit on games anymore. If I get sick of it or don't like it, off to ebay it goes.

I've averaged probably 10-15 new games a month for the past couple of years. I have sealed games stretching back to the PSX and GameBoy Advance.

I have been doing better recently though, I've only bought one thing so far in the month of May and that was $5 Dragon Age DLC. I only have a handful of games preordered for the rest of this year, so hopefully I can start making more of a dent in my backlog.

Yeah, I've got the same problem. I don't really even have that much time to play games and yet I buy games when there are "deals". I've got a sealed copy of Battlefield Bad Company 2 and I'm not sure I'm ever going to get around to it. Sometimes I end up selling or trading the games for a loss (usually not a big loss, sometimes even a tiny profit), but that's better then just holding onto them. So, yeah, you're not alone.

EDIT: oh, and then there is the iPhone. At least most of those were 99 cents (or free), but it's a dangerous platform for the addict. I've had so many games that I end up just deleting, not having played them for very long at all. Not because they are bad (I only buy good ones for the most part, and I'm more picky about free ones now too), but to make room for new ones! Well, except that the games are so cheap. Really it's not much of a problem there.

If you have a problem with purchasing games, then you need to stop visiting this site. It is the only way to eradicate the need to spend. But you will probably end up like me and just fall off the wagon. I purchased about 9 games these past two months, thanks to the EA and GS promos. As I type this I am debating whether to purchase NSMB from GS and using 1 of the 7 $10 coupons I received from them. But I can't get SAVER to work and refuse to pay for shipping.

Update:
SAVER just kicked in, so add another game to the pile of Wii games that I haven't opened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I buy more than I should. I have cut back on the single player games, but I hate missing out on fun multiplayer games with my friends.

Well honestly I buy most games used or at a great deal (thanks to this site) but there are some great deals thanks to a bad economic times.
I have this system:
There are some full price games that are to me must buys day one.
Heavy Rain, Red Dead R, Mafia II
some are I'll buy it at at lil discount because they're good aren't day one:
Batman: AA, Dead Space, Silent Hill: Shattered M.
some are kinda wants so I get at a good deal:
Red Faction G, Dante's Inferno, Darksiders
Some are playable so I get them super cheap:
Farcry 2, Dead Rising, S H: Homecoming
But I still don't get around to playing them.

I have a backlog of maybe 10-15 games and it's driving me insane!! Then again, at the same time last year I wouldn't have had this backlog. Since then I've purchased a (very old, very big, and very cheap) house which requires constant maintenance, AND I've been dating a girl who's very demanding of my my time. I've been slowly working on NIER over the past couple of weeks and while I'm really digging it, I can't wait to move onto:

Red Dead Redemption
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
Heavy Rain
3D Dot Game Heroes
Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
Yakuza 3

Oh, and I still need to finish (almost) God of War III and Final Fantasy XIII. Now that I'm looking at it, that doesn't seem too bad... But it is kinda bad relative to the number of games I own (23). That being said, I didn't buy all of these full price either.

[quote name='Fortune_P_Dawg']Since then I've purchased a (very old, very big, and very cheap) house which requires constant maintenance[/QUOTE]

Man, you said it... I can't tell you how many times I've come home from work for a 3 day weekend, thinking i'm going to knock out a game or 2 only to find out the Wife expects me to refinish the floors or something crazy (true story).

I got a lot more gaming done when I was in an apartment and my only real upkeep was changing lightbulbs and taking out the trash.

2 biggest burdens on my gaming are Home ownership, and letting my wife manage our bank account. I'm sure i'll revise that list if I ever have kids.

If I stopped buying games right now, it would take at least a year just to play through the PS1 backlog. PS2/XBox/Cube would set me into the next decade.

I used to have this problem mostly when I first got my ps2 and there was drought of games. However, I have around a 70 game backlog for Ps2, DS, psp, wii, gc, xbox, 360, PC, and ps3 total, so new game spending is very rare.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I used to have this problem mostly when I first got my ps2 and there was drought of games. However, I have around a 70 game backlog for Ps2, DS, psp, wii, gc, xbox, 360, PC, and ps3 total, so new game spending is very rare.[/QUOTE]

i have about 70 sealed game ps2, ps3 , 360 , wii ..... that is thank to this site helping find all the deals and shovelware .... i got game like new sealed Demon Soul deluxe, .hack part 3 and 4 to crap like soduku for ps2 ( dont ask why i have it)....................................SO YES I HAVE BIG PROBLEM

I do but i justify it by not buying things like snowmobiles or wave runners. I usually buy games beat them don't play them for a while and trade them in(buddy used to work for gamestop so he would "hook" me up). Now I keep my titles I feel are good but I tend to still buy games at least once a month but usually about 3. I really should just start renting I looked at my old 360 and ps3 titles on gamertags adding in moy old ps2,xbox, dreamcast titles I could buy another house.

I have a few games that are on the high priority back log, like:

Arc Rise Fantasia (gotta hurry after it comes out so I can start DQIX when that comes out)
Magna Carta 2
Sakura Wars
Rock Band Green Day (Play through it and export then sell it before it drops too much)

then there's the low-priority Wii backlog:
Dead Space Extraction
Muramasa
Mad World
Resident Evil The Umbrella Chronicles
Resident Evil THe Darkside Chronicles

[quote name='nbballard']
I got a lot more gaming done when I was in an apartment and my only real upkeep was changing lightbulbs and taking out the trash.
[/QUOTE]

I hear you! I used to think I wanted the big house, big yard and all that as that's how I grew up. And I hated apartment life.

But I've really changed my tune and figure I'll end up sticking with Condos. You can avoid a lot of the hassles of apartment life. Owners tend to be more respectful than renters, easier to find well constructed buildings with thick walls and floors so you don't hear your neighbors (sky scraper condos rock on that front usually) etc.

I just can't see myself dealing with yard work, maintaining a big house etc. Rather just stick with a condo, have only minor things to deal with, and pay someone to fix or remodel anything major etc.

Between sales, clearances, stores closings(HWV/BBV) and flipping games to get cheap credit at GS and other places, I've managed to get at least 3-5 of the bigger releases this year alone.

I picked up Darksiders, Just Cause 2, Red Dead Redemption, GTA IV: Episodes and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for MSRP or close(only exception being BF:BC2 which was a local shop buy)but considering I paid for four of the five in cheap credit that it took me next to nothing out of pocket to make(thanks in no small part to the BB free games after coupon thing) I don't feel so bad for having bought them when I did.

Next month I already have a copy of the Transformers: War For Cybertron game fully paid off at Gamestop with the remainder of my cheap credit, so I'm more than set for gaming for the next six months at least.

But yes....I do have a problem/obsession with buying new games, but only if I could get them cheap enough.

While my wife and daughter were out of town last week, I finished BioShock and Fable II, and put some good time into Persona 4 and Super Mario Galaxy 2. That was some sweet marathon gaming on the old backlog, don't know when I'll have a chance like this again. :)

Even if a new game is on sale, it's not a deal if you buy it and don't play it. By the time you finally get to it, the game would have dropped another $10-$20 and you could have easily just gone out and bought it when you are ready to play it.

Think about it, money gains interested in your bank account, but games sitting on the shelf depreciates quickly. Let's honor this site's namesake and be smart about this.

Your talking to the wrong audience in the wrong forum if you think you buy too many games and have a big back log. We all complain about the same thing because we all do it. Its why were here. AS cheapassgamers its or duty to buy games for as cheap as possible whether we have time to play it or not

Personally i have slowed down the buying right now so i can play some games. I know play games what a concept.

[quote name='dannyox718']Even if a new game is on sale, it's not a deal if you buy it and don't play it. By the time you finally get to it, the game would have dropped another $10-$20 and you could have easily just gone out and bought it when you are ready to play it.

Think about it, money gains interested in your bank account, but games sitting on the shelf depreciates quickly. Let's honor this site's namesake and be smart about this.[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

It's very rare to buy a deal on a game, not play it for months and not have missed an even better deal between the time you bought and the time you get around to playing it.

There are some games that get limited runs and become rare and increase in price--so occasionally it's ok to buy when you see a deal.

But if you're like me and mainly playing mainstream games that will never be valuable and will be $10-15 or less used in a couple years (and readily available on Goozex after 6 months) it's just silly to buy because Amazon has it for $40 when you won't get around to playing it for 6+ months.

You almost always come out ahead by buying games when you're ready to play them vs. grabbing them when you see a good deal but have several games to play before you get to them as 99% of games will drop in price by then.

My "backlog" is comprised of at least 80% of my entire game collection. I don't really like buying them brand new, because I can't stand the price. But when I can score anything I even remotely want for cheap, I'm always up for it.

bread's done
Back