CAGcast #199: Wombat, Wake Up

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][img-l=4668]3078[/img-l]CheapyD loves Alan Wake, Wombat loves 3D Dot Heroes, and Shipwreck loves Monster Racers (and Alan Wake). Of course we all love your CAGbag and Twitter questions!

[podcast]108[/podcast]
Download - 100 minutes, 46MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Ah, I've been waiting all day for this. Can't wait to listen through it. Thank you guys for all the time and work you put into these podcasts. :applause:

I played the Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands game and I definitely don't think that it's something to simply look past. Its a great game. You guys should definitely give it a go before you reach conclusions on it!

Oh, I'm sure its fine...I just think it's going to be lost in the shuffle of more high-profile releases.

I'm sure EA would like to thank THQ for making their online pass plan look awesome by actually announcing it a few months in advance instead of surprising everyone out the blue. At least EA has a plan for people who rent it/buy a game used. It may not be a good plan, but at least it's a plan.

Are you guys sure the reviews for Alan Wake aren't high because of the game's long development cycle? IIRC, the game was announced before the 360 was released. Games that were announced before their console came out this generation (FFXIII, RE5, Too Human, Alan Wake, etc.) that have taken a good while to get to market have not been reviewed with the highest of praise. I'm pretty sure hype dissipated quite a lot for Alan Wake over the years like the titles I mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whiplash found out Tony was driving the same way Pepper Pots and everyone else did. It was plastered on every TV when he went to replace the regular driver.

What I don't understand is why the CAGcast is up on iTunes on the iPod touch as soon as it's posted on iTunes, always have to wait a few hours before it shows up on the iPod for other podcasts.

Well just downloaded it, will listen to it in the morning

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Whiplash found out Tony was driving the same way Pepper Pots and everyone else did. It was plastered on every TV when he went to replace the regular driver.[/QUOTE]
Not only this, but Whiplash's goal was to attack Stark. It was clearly known Stark would be attending the race, so whether or not Stark was driving, Whiplash still would have been there to confront Stark anyway.

It's not like Whiplash showed up somewhere private where only Stark was. Instead he went to a highly publicized event in which it was clearly known that Stark would be there.

Fossil Fighters had a Pokemon style to it. It would have been great, but it was way too simple. Enjoyed it nonetheless. I loved the concept of having to piece together your next fighter.

[quote name='DarkZion']Not only this, but Whiplash's goal was to attack Stark. It was clearly known Stark would be attending the race, so whether or not Stark was driving, Whiplash still would have been there to confront Stark anyway.

It's not like Whiplash showed up somewhere private where only Stark was. Instead he went to a highly publicized event in which it was clearly known that Stark would be there.[/QUOTE]

But he had the orange jumpsuit before he left, as if he knew Stark would be on the track. But Stark should have never left the party with Pepper & Hammer. Whiplash disguised as a busboy would have made more sense.

Re: EA and marketing costs and loss - I would have had little interest in Mass Effect 2 based on the official marketing if I hadn't played the original Mass Effect, which I bought at GS for $15. So perhaps EA and others need to consider that used, cheap copies of games help sell new copies of sequels in the series.

I appreciate the Heads Up on RDR from Cheapy. If the game is the same, I prefer the ps3 version but I will always buy the superior version if there is a discrepancy. I almost bought the ps3 version. Btw this is a bit late but I just finished ME2, and I finally listened to the CAG ME2 show. I can't believe Wombat and Ship chose Tali over Miranda. Wtf is wrong with you guys, you don't even know what she looks like. I'd sort of understand if Tali had Miranda's body but she doesn't and she wears a fockin bucket on her head. You guys can't even bang the hot chick in a videogame. And Cheapy was right about ME3 needing ship combat, I thought exactly the same thing when I was playing the game.

You know, with these crapton of deals happening right now on everything, I wonder what Black Friday is going to be like this year. That might improve the NPD numbers...maybe. Food for thought.

Can't say I'm surprised about Project Shitbox's pricing and I agree with Wombat that it will need to be shipped with a game like Fable 3 to move any units. Either that or something compelling for the casual crowd (think Wii Sports) and/or something featuring a wildly popular series (maybe another Halo game or Call of Duty: Soldiers in Natal). Wonder if Sony is waiting on MS to jump the gun on pricing so they can compete with Move?

Shippy, so EA invited you to the MOH event but you can't talk about the game or the event itself? What is the fucking point?

Btw, good to hear about Aksys. DeathSmiles! Whee~

Btw Cheapy, why did you feel the need to tell us how many episodes are in Alan Wake? That sorta spoils the game cuz now I know when the end game is coming up. Please don't do that again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shipwreck swears like a sailor. He says shit every now and then, and to me, shit is more offensive than fuck. It's not as extreme as shit-fucking, but extreme nevertheless. fucking is good, but shit is gross, although taking a shit in the mornings is good and relieving.

I think one of the things developers/publishers could do to reduce the price of making games in terms of marketing would be stop having special events for journalists (Like Capcom's Captivate.) They're unnecessary and expensive.

They could also stop making special editions of games. I wonder how much more money it costs to make a copy of Modern Warfare 2 that included night vision goggles.

love the episode! I'll start adding more to my collection now. However, I think it'd be cool if we could get a 'private' notes area..I like to put the details of how I got the price I paid, when, where, etc.. With the CAG Marketplace intro, it displays that notes area which is just a little too much, especially if you're trying not to reveal the price you paid..

[quote name='Wombat']But he had the orange jumpsuit before he left, as if he knew Stark would be on the track. But Stark should have never left the party with Pepper & Hammer. Whiplash disguised as a busboy would have made more sense.[/QUOTE]
Well I think he had the intention of attacking drivers during the race because he knew that Iron Man would show up to save the day. It was just a bonus that Stark happened to be one of the drivers.

Wombat I hope you weren't really expecting your Macbook to be amazing at running games. The problem isn't with Runic or Steam but the hardware. I'm sure it excels at most other tasks but graphic intensive games weren't high on the list when being made by Apple.

Another big part of the problem at hand is the API. Now I know some people may bring up the Wolfire article citing OpenGL is a much better platform for 3D rendering but that point is moot. I'm sure electric cars can be more efficient than gas powered ones but the market just hasn't been developed that much. They PC games industry has settled on DirectX as a standard. Maybe if developers take Apple more seriously the future of Mac gaming will be much stronger.

Sorry about your computer not handling Torchlight. If you make a Windows 7 partition I'm sure it will run. But you seem satisfied with the games you already have or play so you shouldn't really worry about PC gaming.

Shipwreck,

Steam gives system requirements for macs as well as PCs. Here's the system requirements for torchlight on the mac:

• Minimum:
    • Processor: Intel Mac
    • Memory: 1GB RAM
    • Graphics: OpenGL 2.0 compatible video card with 256MB dedicated RAM (ATI Radeon X1600 or nVidia equivalent)
    • Hard Drive: 800MB

Maybe it won't run on a macbook that doesn't have an intel processor. That's the only reason I can gather as to why it won't work on your macbook.

Still, steam does give the system requirements for mac games, it's right there on the store page. You can't say that steam isn't telling you that your mac can't run the game. They do, very clearly with in the product description, it's just that not every mac is made the same and you have to look at the system requirements rather than assuming that every mac computer could run it.

[quote name='thwak']Shipwreck,

Steam gives system requirements for macs as well as PCs. Here's the system requirements for torchlight on the mac:

• Minimum:
    • Processor: Intel Mac
    • Memory: 1GB RAM
    • Graphics: OpenGL 2.0 compatible video card with 256MB dedicated RAM (ATI Radeon X1600 or nVidia equivalent)
    • Hard Drive: 800MB

Maybe it won't run on a macbook that doesn't have an intel processor. That's the only reason I can gather as to why it won't work on your macbook.

Still, steam does give the system requirements for mac games, it's right there on the store page. You can't say that steam isn't telling you that your mac can't run the game. They do, very clearly with in the product description, it's just that not every mac is made the same and you have to look at the system requirements rather than assuming that every mac computer could run it.[/QUOTE]

Yup I meet those requirements :(

So I'm at the point where you guys were discussing Red Dead and not knowing about camp sites. All you need to do to set up a camp site is press select, then right bumper, and select it with A. With a camp site, you can save wherever you are, and it allows you to fast travel to any waypoint that you set on your map.

[quote name='Wombat']But he had the orange jumpsuit before he left, as if he knew Stark would be on the track. But Stark should have never left the party with Pepper & Hammer. Whiplash disguised as a busboy would have made more sense.[/QUOTE]

I think more or less it was just the best way for him with his look and whatnot to get into the event as a mechanic, track attendant, whatever. Once he found out where Anthony was I don't think anyone other than Iron Man was equipped to prevent him getting or going where he wanted anyway. So had he found out he was in the dining area he would have whipped his way there.

I think an orange jumpsuit is also the only thing a poor Russian man that just blew all his money on an arc reactor could afford. Had he shown up with his long nasty hair and in expensive rich folk clothes I think that would have been even more of a plot hole.

[quote name='Clarke']Wombat I hope you weren't really expecting your Macbook to be amazing at running games. The problem isn't with Runic or Steam but the hardware. I'm sure it excels at most other tasks but graphic intensive games weren't high on the list when being made by Apple.

Another big part of the problem at hand is the API. Now I know some people may bring up the Wolfire article citing OpenGL is a much better platform for 3D rendering but that point is moot. I'm sure electric cars can be more efficient than gas powered ones but the market just hasn't been developed that much. They PC games industry has settled on DirectX as a standard. Maybe if developers take Apple more seriously the future of Mac gaming will be much stronger.

Sorry about your computer not handling Torchlight. If you make a Windows 7 partition I'm sure it will run. But you seem satisfied with the games you already have or play so you shouldn't really worry about PC gaming.[/QUOTE]

LOL at Torchlight being "graphic intensive" I have a netbook that is total weaksauce in the hardware department, I can't even watch HD video, and Torchlight will run on this. The problem does sound like it's Runic. Sounds like they'll release a patch. You act like they put a product on steam for mac and they're just going to leave it broken.

And wombat you should try to make the jump to PC gaming because it's the best!!! Once you get past or bypass the higher start up cost games you see the magic.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']LOL at Torchlight being "graphic intensive" I have a netbook that is total weaksauce in the hardware department, I can't even watch HD video, and Torchlight will run on this. The problem does sound like it's Runic. Sounds like they'll release a patch. You act like they put a product on steam for mac and they're just going to leave it broken.

And wombat you should try to make the jump to PC gaming because it's the best!!! Once you get past or bypass the higher start up cost games you see the magic.[/QUOTE]
As opposed to web browsers, productivity software, and media editing? Yes.

Where are the pics of Ship wearing his MOH Oakley glasses and backpack? We could use that for the next CAG contest, such as "Win Ship's sunglasses and backpack by photoshopping him wearing the sunglasses and backpack in backgrounds" - Contest (rolls off the tongue, I know).

[quote name='YoatOverNothing']I think one of the things developers/publishers could do to reduce the price of making games in terms of marketing would be stop having special events for journalists (Like Capcom's Captivate.) They're unnecessary and expensive.

They could also stop making special editions of games. I wonder how much more money it costs to make a copy of Modern Warfare 2 that included night vision goggles.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the reason you are seeing so many more special editions now are because they generate additional profit when compared to the regular editions. When purchased in bulk the low end night vision goggles cost considerably less then the difference in price between the hardened and prestige editions. You also benefit from the 'collector" effect where a certain percentage of dedicated fans will actually buy one or more copies of each edition.

Additionally, while throwing the press special events may seem pricey in raw dollars, as a percentage of the marketing cost for most large budget games it is usually a drop in the bucket, especially when compared to the amount of gaming media coverage it generates. This is increasingly true in those cases where you use the same event to promote multiple games. (Including those smaller games in your stable which may not have their own marketing budget.)

I hope Bit.Trip Runner is good Shipwreck; my review copy is in the process of being sent to me :)

As for episode 200, any chance for an appearance from either Super Programmer John, or John Snow? They don't have to be live appearances.

[quote name='usickenme']Wombat wake up? more like everyone listening wake up....[/QUOTE]
I can't believe it took 39 posts for someone to come up with that.

Once again, great show! Shipwreck's sojourn to LA was my big interest in this show. I laughed my ass off when he talked about the EA dickheads using their own airsoft gear. That's just a serious douche move! You guys should start a CAG airsoft team and challenge EA, that'd be fun. And Wombat, your idea about the sort of Marvel comics Pokemon game was fucking AWESOME! You and Shipwreck really need to start up BatShip Insane consulting and get some good games made. I know I'd definitely buy that Marvel Pokemon game day one.

Tell me if you all think this is possible. So the Natal maps your body image and puts it on tv wouldn't it be possible for the new 3d tv's that are coming out to work with that and allow the mapped image to grab the 3d objects? Like a 3d baseball game the ball is thrown to you and you can catch it. I'm not going to buy project shitbox but I just see where it could go. Even if thats a next gen selling point like HD was for this gen. Tell me what you think

Well let's all throw a nice little pity party for those poor game publishers. Cheapy, the main game experience may not deteriorate but the online community in particular certainly does die off for any given game over time. This is the main irony with EA & THQ charging used game buyers extra for the online component of their sports games, since few people will still be playing a year later.

You may be rolling in that CAGdough ;) but at least acknowledge the difference between Project $10, where added bonus content is given to gamers who buy new, and EA & THQ's online pass strategy where they're holding game functionality ransom for those who don't. The online pass strategy strikes me as particularly anti-consumer and I'm genuinely shocked when people say they don't have a problem with it. It's like we've been worshipping game developers for so long that we just let them piss down our back and tell us it's raining.

[quote name='DarkZion']Well I think he had the intention of attacking drivers during the race because he knew that Iron Man would show up to save the day. It was just a bonus that Stark happened to be one of the drivers.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Whether or not Iron Man was there, I think his main intention was to insult Stark one way or another.

And yes. Shipwreck has cursed in past CAGcasts. Still listening to the show...

bread's done
Back