3 months of xbox live + 1 month (4 months) for $9.99

WarriorBlake

CAGiversary!
Under the spotlight section of the xbox dashboard, there is an offer going on with 3 months of Xbox Live for $9.99 with 1 month free from Jack Links Beef Jerky. Says "while supplies last" so get it while its hot!

[quote name='bizzy74']not for me it is because I am on a 1 dollar for next month renewal???[/QUOTE]

$1 a month renewal? How do you get such a deal?

There was a deal via the dashboard awhile ago for $1 for next month's renewal. Might be gone now but it was there a few weeks ago.

"While supplies last", my @$$. Just bought it, and it only showed 3 months!!! Where's the "free" mo??? Not like it ruins the deal that badly or anything...

But I REALLY hate it when marketers promise these bullsh*t promos they have no intention of actually honoring. SHENANIGANS!!!

[quote name='Drakee']There was a deal via the dashboard awhile ago for $1 for next month's renewal. Might be gone now but it was there a few weeks ago.[/QUOTE]

Microsoft's wording is tricky.

You are not actually signed up to pay $1 for another month for Gold next month. You'll be charged $7.99 when your current $1 month ends. I was on the $1 month thing for April and also thought it would be renewed for another month for just another $1.

But you'll pay $7.99 next month unless you stop the auto renew. Trust me on this.

[quote name='bizzy74']not for me it is because I am on a 1 dollar for next month renewal???[/QUOTE]

The $1 deal was only for one single month. You will not be paying $1 for the next month but rather the normal $7.99.

Microsoft's wording is tricky but I assure you that you will not be magically paying $1 a month forever. This is how they get a bunch of Xbox Live Silver members to sign up for a month of gold, then hope that many of them auto-renew on a monthly basis for $7.99 a month.

You need to cancel your auto-renew or you will be paying $7.99 a month from now on.

As for this thread's deal, it doesn't show up for me (probably because I'm also on my $1 month at the moment, which is set to end in two days). Too bad. I would have bought it.

Paying for Gold is so bogus.

Dang!! Too bad I didn't see that 1 dollar month renewal promo.. Anyway, this is a good deal too if you didn't have that deal
o.gif

[quote name='Dissolve']The $1 deal was only for one single month. You will not be paying $1 for the next month but rather the normal $7.99.

Microsoft's wording is tricky but I assure you that you will not be magically paying $1 a month forever. This is how they get a bunch of Xbox Live Silver members to sign up for a month of gold, then hope that many of them auto-renew on a monthly basis for $7.99 a month.

You need to cancel your auto-renew or you will be paying $7.99 a month from now on.
[/QUOTE]

+1
If you signed up for ANY XBL PROMOTION through the Dashboard it signs you up for auto-renewal at $7.99/month ($95.88/yr).
Also at any time during your current subscription you add a LIVE code to your account it automatically RESIGNS you up for auto-renewal!

If you do not cancel the auto-renewal, expect to be paying FULL price for LIVE.
Being that 12 month cards are regularly available for

Last edited by a moderator:
They get you in every direction though. I understand that it's a business, but it's like being charged to walk into a store. There are plenty of ads present and downloadable content, which is on sale much too infrequently for my taste. I don't really see that many freebies for regular use of the service. Even something simple like "you've been a good customer for a year, here's 400 points."

[quote name='AtomicTeaspoon']They get you in every direction though. I understand that it's a business, but it's like being charged to walk into a store. There are plenty of ads present and downloadable content, which is on sale much too infrequently for my taste. I don't really see that many freebies for regular use of the service. Even something simple like "you've been a good customer for a year, here's 400 points."[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. By charging a fee for the service AND putting up ads all over the place, Microsoft is essentially double-dipping. Compare this with Television: basic channels = more commercials and ads; subscription channels = fewer ads. It's not like they should remove ads entirely, but it seems like they get PLENTY of $$$ from the ads alone. I don't see how they can validate $50/year just to play multiplayer with friends (the other benefits are 100% BS).

[quote name='Blank Earth']I signed up and I'm also seeing only 3 months instead of 4. Is there anything else I need to do to get the extra month?[/QUOTE]

I sent Msoft an email, for all the good that'll do. I don't expect much. You can try giving them a call... In my experience, it doesn't cost em much to toss you that extra month - but that doesn't mean they'll play ball. They wouldn't bribe me with squat a couple of years ago when I called to complain about the blatantly bad advertising on their "20 GB" 360 consoles. Ughhh. If I don't get that free month, I'll take it out on Jack Link's - I'm not buying any of their jerky if they're going to, uh, JERK me around! :lol:

[quote name='raiser']+1
If you signed up for ANY XBL PROMOTION through the Dashboard it signs you up for auto-renewal at $7.99/month ($95.88/yr).
Also at any time during your current subscription you add a LIVE code to your account it automatically RESIGNS you up for auto-renewal!
[/QUOTE]

What

the

fuck???

What a RIPOFF!!! Thats twice what a 12+1 month Live card costs in the store.

I love that you turn on your 360 and have to navigate a minefield of SCAMS.

You couldn't pay me to put my creditcard info into my 360.

And I'm one of those who beleives Gold Live is worth the price ($40-50 a year). But to charge people double that??? fucking basterds.

Its for people like me tho. Like I know I don't play multiplayer much and dont care about how cheap a year is. I might rent some games, spend $8 to play for a month and then be done. But honestly, there's almost always a deal on like 3months for under $20. I'll usually just wait for a promo like this. And then there's free month codes....

[quote name='Magikarp830']"While supplies last", my @$$. Just bought it, and it only showed 3 months!!! Where's the "free" mo??? Not like it ruins the deal that badly or anything...

But I REALLY hate it when marketers promise these bullsh*t promos they have no intention of actually honoring. SHENANIGANS!!![/QUOTE]

[quote name='Blank Earth']I signed up and I'm also seeing only 3 months instead of 4. Is there anything else I need to do to get the extra month?[/QUOTE]

The fine print on the dashboard says,

"Offer Good While Supplies Last. Your account will be credited with 1 Free Month of Gold, courtesy of Jack Link's Beef Jerky WITHIN (2-4 WEEKS) OF PURCHASE."

When I originally purchased xbox live for the 360 it was with my debit card. I had already lost that card and replacement cards that followed several times when my exp date came up. In the mean time I had added a discover cc # to buy the modern warfare map pack that I intended for 1 time use. So as you can guess the discover card was automatically billed for a year of xbox live. When I realized what had happened 3 months later I called M$ and told them I want all CC info removed from my Xbox. They told me the process would take a month, that my gold subscription would be cancelled and I would be emailed a code that I could use to redeem my gold account to the end of my current subscription. The 1 positive thing that came of this was I made the call to M$ in April of 09, my gold was indeed cancelled and a code was given to via email. Now my account was due to expire in Sept. 09. For whatever reason probably because a 1 year code is the only way they could extend my subscription to Sept, my gold account lasted until April 2010. So in essence I got 7 months of gold for free. Still hardly worth the effort of having to call and deal with these bastards. Moral of the story - Don't put your CC# on your console. If youre on this site you already know that there are running deals to save you 15-20% off the cost of points/gold cards vs buying thru the dashboard.

[quote name='jooanyenna']The fine print on the dashboard says,

"Offer Good While Supplies Last. Your account will be credited with 1 Free Month of Gold, courtesy of Jack Link's Beef Jerky WITHIN (2-4 WEEKS) OF PURCHASE."[/QUOTE]
Ahh, thank you.

I just turned mine off after going thru 10 screens of trying to tell me to keep the renewel on. I hope turning it off doesn't ruin the offer.

While the Information posted earlier regarding Disabling Auto Renewal is helpful, the timing of this action is VERY IMPORTANT! If you are scheduled to get in on a promo rate in the future, example: your $1 Month Starts July 7th, and you Turn Auto Renewal OFF prior to that month start date, you will effectually INVALIDATE the $1 month promo. If you disable the Auto Renew after the start date, say on July 8th, then you're OK, and will get that promo rate. Keep in mind, as said earlier, your Auto Renewals after that promo will be a ridiculous $8/month unless you either buy another subscription, XBL card, enter another code, or disable Auto Renewal. It's a tactic MS uses, and it is CONFIRMED as FACT by MS. If you disabled Auto Renewal prior to the promo start date and still wish to get that promo, simply turn Auto Renewal back ON. Just don't forget to turn it back off once the promo takes effect, or you might feel hosed when you see your CC statement. Hope this helps!!! ;)

[quote name='pclou']...[snip]...If you are scheduled to get in on a promo rate in the future, example: your $1 Month Starts July 7th, and you Turn Auto Renewal OFF prior to that month start date, you will effectually INVALIDATE the $1 month promo. If you disable the Auto Renew after the start date, say on July 8th, then you're OK, and will get that promo rate....[snip]...[/QUOTE]

So true. VERY good information. I ran into this problem before. Quoting for emphasis (tried to bold, but I don't know how).

"While supplies last", my @$$. Just bought it, and it only showed 3 months!!! Where's the "free" mo??? Not like it ruins the deal that badly or anything...

But I REALLY hate it when marketers promise these bullsh*t promos they have no intention of actually honoring. SHENANIGANS!!!
the 1 extra month redeem code will be emailed to you in about 2-4 weeks after you signed up. that is what the agent at Microsoft told me.

[quote name='AtomicTeaspoon']They get you in every direction though. I understand that it's a business, but it's like being charged to walk into a store. There are plenty of ads present and downloadable content, which is on sale much too infrequently for my taste. I don't really see that many freebies for regular use of the service. Even something simple like "you've been a good customer for a year, here's 400 points."[/QUOTE]

I agree, especially since I've been using Live since 2004. You'd think that they'd acknowledge six years of patronage with something better than $3.33/month.

Also, if you have your credit card saved on your xbox account, you can go online and delete it. Then they can't auto renew anymore.
I know because I added points once, and it saved my credit card for "future purchases," and next thing I knew it was about to renew at the inflated price.
Best bet honestly is to just go for cards. They usually are better deals anyway.

[quote name='pclou']While the Information posted earlier regarding Disabling Auto Renewal is helpful, the timing of this action is VERY IMPORTANT! If you are scheduled to get in on a promo rate in the future, example: your $1 Month Starts July 7th, and you Turn Auto Renewal OFF prior to that month start date, you will effectually INVALIDATE the $1 month promo. If you disable the Auto Renew after the start date, say on July 8th, then you're OK, and will get that promo rate. Keep in mind, as said earlier, your Auto Renewals after that promo will be a ridiculous $8/month unless you either buy another subscription, XBL card, enter another code, or disable Auto Renewal. It's a tactic MS uses, and it is CONFIRMED as FACT by MS. If you disabled Auto Renewal prior to the promo start date and still wish to get that promo, simply turn Auto Renewal back ON. Just don't forget to turn it back off once the promo takes effect, or you might feel hosed when you see your CC statement. Hope this helps!!! ;)[/QUOTE]

So, we won't get that fourth month if we turn off auto renewal?

I haven't purchsed it because it only shows the 3 months as part of the purchase instead of the 4 months as advertised.

[quote name='Tha Doc']Its for people like me tho. Like I know I don't play multiplayer much and dont care about how cheap a year is. I might rent some games, spend $8 to play for a month and then be done. But honestly, there's almost always a deal on like 3months for under $20. I'll usually just wait for a promo like this. And then there's free month codes....[/QUOTE]

I'm kind of the same way. I was playing online less and less since I preferred playing a bunched of different games as opposed to the one game due mainly to the boring online of most games. It got to the point where I was using LIVE mainly to stream Netflix.

At this point, I prefer the short term deals provided they are cheap. I still have a few cards from the Microcenter deal.

I might get this to use for SC: Conviction and those cards for a future game like Transformers or Halo Reach.

[quote name='pclou']If you are scheduled to get in on a promo rate in the future, example: your $1 Month Starts July 7th, and you Turn Auto Renewal OFF prior to that month start date, you will effectually INVALIDATE the $1 month promo. [/QUOTE]

Check your account status online with the links I provided earlier.
For instance I signed up for the $1 month, and then turned off auto-renewal...
Here is what mine says:

Membership Level
Xbox LIVE Prepaid 1 month Gold Membership Card (

Last edited by a moderator:
Did some more research, was trying to remove my CC# from XBL.
How to remove a payment option from an Xbox Live account

Note You cannot remove a credit card that is associated with an active Xbox LIVE subscription.
When you try to remove the credit card, you will see the following error:
This payment option cannot be removed at this time. Please contact Xbox LIVE Customer Support.
Before you can remove your credit card, you need to do one of the following:
• Add a new payment option to your Xbox LIVE Gold account.
• Cancel your Xbox LIVE Gold subscription. You can do this by contacting Xbox support or by turning off auto-renewal on your Xbox LIVE Gold membership and waiting for the membership to expire.
Once you’ve done one of these two things, you can remove the credit card.

Hence, if you Live Gold account is active, and you have submitted a Credit Card, it stays on file until you allow your subscription to lapse.

SO BE EXTRA CAREFUL Auto-Renew isn't enabled every time you add any points cards or subscription cards to your account if you have a credit card on file...

I will be removing my CC# when my XBL Gold lapses in July, then I will never again sign up for any MS based promos in the future.
Lesson learned. And I haven't even been charged for months of service I didn't want as I am sure many people have been or will be.

This is all very suspicious activity (forced opt-in to monthly CC charges) and should be made public by the media.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']And people wonder why I love PSN, even if it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of live.[/QUOTE]

Um, they still collect your credit card on PSN store. Fortunately they use real money instead of points, and don't auto-renew anything to the best of my knowledge. That might be enough for some.

I was referring to the shady auto renew for monthly sub service. I've used my CC for purchases on the PS store but I've never had any issues with it.

I'm sorry but I had to rate this 1 star because you have to buy this through the dashboard and I'm certainly not giving them my credit card #. You're better off getting cards at retail on sale.

Did anyone hear about the Family Membership plan coming out this fall? $99 for four memberships on one console.

I still think it should only be the standard $50 per console but it is at least a move in the right direction.

bread's done
Back