Please help me with this compatibility confusion

Nomar1245

CAGiversary!
Okay I have a mother board from almost 3 years ago, and I want to update my video card now. It's going to be a HTPC now and I can't seem to figure out if the card I've picked works with my Motherboard. I've found it's backwards compatible, but I'm not sure if I have what it's backwards compatible with.

Please help me :(

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131013R
ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

Expansion Slots:
PCI Express x16: 2 x PCI Express x16 slot at x16, x8 speed Support NVIDIA®SLI™ technology (both at x8 mode)
PCI Express x1: 2
PCI Slots: 3

Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121310
ASUS EAH4350 SILENT/DI/512MD2(LP) Radeon HD 4350 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 CrossFireX Support Low Profile Ready Video Card

PCI Express 2.0 x16 connection

Thanks for any help.

I think PCI Express 2.0 cards will work in PCI Express 1.x motherboards. And vice versa. You just won't get the higher throughput of the higher standard, which shouldn't be a problem with as low end of a card that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. That's what I'm thinking too, and as I just want to play video on it I don't think I'll need a ton out of it(i.e. Gaming). Do I have the right stuff though? It's the terminology that's throwing me off I think.

Is PCI-e 1.0 the same as PCI-e x1?

EDIT:

Nevermind. I'm not convinced this will work in my PCI-Express x16 slot, but not at maximum performace.

Please confirm or refute please.

Last edited by a moderator:
It should work in your x16 slot. x1 slots are the small ones, about an inch in length. They are usually used for network cards, audio cards and the like. x16 slots are almost exclusively used for graphics cards.

Some mobos and graphics cards just don't get along for whatever reason, so I can't guarantee it will work in your mobo, but it definitely should work.

Thanks everybody. I appreciate the help.

I was thinking of the 2.0 as a different bus type, and not a different version.

Basically, I was thinking along the lines of a 2.0 USB device wouldn't workin in a 1.0 port.

Thats the best way I can explain were my confusion was coming from.

bread's done
Back