Best resolution I can get out of my ps2 from an HDTV?

Component cables are best. PS2 games top out at 480p and I believe that is even rare amongst the games.(Most are 480i or below). I sometimes play my PS2 games on my BC PS3 and they look like I'm playing a VHS tape.(This is on my 47" 1080P LG HDTV) I stick to my PS2 slim on a CRT TV or TV tuner on a PC.

Definitely component cables. Not all games run at 480p, though - right? And anything bigger than 32" and you'd start seeing some uglies.

All high quality does is make the aging graphics look worse....I think last gen (and before) look waaay better on old CRTs than new hi def sets

Component cables, with LCD/Plasma sets try to keep the original aspect ratio on your TV instead of setting it to full or just/fill, or you could try 4:3 too. Best bet is to play on a old skool CRT set.

At the post above, obviously because the resolution of HD TV sets are much higher, but don't forget the HD CRT sets, those are the best.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Mom has an EDTV. Weird thing. Enhanced Definition TV. Has S-Video along with composite.

Would that be considered an HD CRT?[/QUOTE]

Probably not. I have an HD CRT television in my bedroom. It's a 30" wide-screen that does 480p and 1080i, and it weighs about 190 pounds :bomb:

link is broken...judging from the link, i'd say its a ps3 component cable? im using an hdmi :D

oh fuck is the same cable as the wii? if so , i may run into a problem as i ONLY have 1 slot...well i could switch but that would be an inconvenience. LOL.

how good is the s video anyway?

[quote name='david12795']link is broken...judging from the link, i'd say its a ps3 component cable? im using an hdmi :D

oh fuck is the same cable as the wii? if so , i may run into a problem as i ONLY have 1 slot...well i could switch but that would be an inconvenience. LOL.

how good is the s video anyway?[/QUOTE]

Barely a step up from composite.

Here's my suggestion, don't even bother trying to find a cable.
480i to 480p isn't going to be a huge noticeable upgrade IMO. Not to mention, it's going to be hard for you to find these cables.

[quote name='TehMuff1nM4n']Barely a step up from composite.

Here's my suggestion, don't even bother trying to find a cable.
480i to 480p isn't going to be a huge noticeable upgrade IMO. Not to mention, it's going to be hard for you to find these cables.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they are hard to find, only if they are a first party one. I can find a cheap party one from monoprice that will work the same :D

JUST GOT MY WII COMPONENT CABLE TODAY AND ITS GREAT. :D:)

Thanks for the suggestion. =D

Unfortunately, i ran into a problem, my tv only has ONE component slot and thats already occupied by my wii. :(

in addition, my ps2 wont show up on the screen when using composite cables for some reason. so i guess i might have to resort to s-video cables =[

[quote name='david12795']Thanks for the suggestion. =D

Unfortunately, i ran into a problem, my tv only has ONE component slot and thats already occupied by my wii. :(

in addition, my ps2 wont show up on the screen when using composite cables for some reason. so i guess i might have to resort to s-video cables =[[/QUOTE]

You have to change the settings on your PS2. There are 2 outputs: RGB or YPrb or something like that. Change it whichever it isn't on now and try that. Just plugging in the cables doesn't do it automatically/

[quote name='RolePlayer']You have to change the settings on your PS2. There are 2 outputs: RGB or YPrb or something like that. Change it whichever it isn't on now and try that. Just plugging in the cables doesn't do it automatically/[/QUOTE]

ugh this will be hard to do because i have no other tv's LOL. but thanks ill get to it

i thought it would automatically because it did for my wii/ps3.

wow thanks! will it reduce the quality since there's with all the "cross" interference?

oh speaking of which, i also have some ps2 games that are imported =). Do you know where i could find a list that tells me if they are in 480p? I doubt the DDR series will be 480p but gotta keep my hopes up :D

[quote name='RolePlayer']You have to change the settings on your PS2. There are 2 outputs: RGB or YPrb or something like that. Change it whichever it isn't on now and try that. Just plugging in the cables doesn't do it automatically/[/QUOTE]
I bought my most recent PS2 (50001 model) in January and it worked with component out of the box without me having to do anything.

I tried to play Shadow of the Colossus on my 40" HDTV with composite cables. It was unplayable! I don't mean that it just looked so bad I couldn't stand it. I mean I literally could not play the game. So I picked up some component cables from Monoprice. The difference was amazing. Don't get me wrong; it was definitely ugly. But, after playing it for a couple hours I kept having moments when I thought "These graphics are awesome! (all things considered)".

bread's done
Back