GOG Weekend Deal - Disciples 1-2 / Jagged Alliance 1-2 - 50% off

cheapo72

CAGiversary!
Feedback
180 (100%)

Until Monday, May 31 at 11:59 p.m. EDT you can get any of the Strategy First-published games of the classic turn-based franchises Disciples & Jagged Alliance for 50% off. This isn't a bundle sale, so buy 1 or all 5. [Orders should be made from [urlhttp://www.gog.com/en/promo/disciples_jagged_alliance/]the promo page[/url].]

Disciples: Sacred Lands - Gold $4.99 (50% off)
Disciples 2 - Gold $4.99 (50% off) [includes Disciples II: Dark Prophecy and its 3 expansions with bonus quests.]
Jagged Alliance $4.99 (50% off)
Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games $4.99 (50% off)
Jagged Alliance 2 $4.99 (50% off)

[JA2: Unfinished Business & JA2: Wildfire are NOT part of this promotion as they are published by other firms.]

Mobygames:
Disciples: Sacred Lands - Gold (76)
Disciples II: Dark Prophecy (83)
Disciples II: Guardians of the Light (78)
Disciples II: Servants of the Dark (73)
Disciples II: Rise of the Elves (80)
Jagged Alliance (88)
Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games (87)
Jagged Alliance 2 (89)

Demos:
Disciples: Sacred Lands
Disciples II: Dark Prophecy
Disciples II: Gallean's Return [Light & Dark expansions]
Disciples II: Rise of the Elves
Jagged Alliance 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Disciples is kind of like HoMM, and is a very good game.

Jagged Alliance is a little like Fallout, with RPG elements and turn-based style combat. Also worth getting if you're into games like that.

[quote name='aznboovie']is it any good? never heard of em[/QUOTE]

Disciples II: Dark prophecy absolutely rocks. I actually picked this up just a little while ago and started playing it recently, I've put in about 15 hours so far and I haven't even scratched the surface. It is a really cool rts/turn based strategy hybrid. Sometimes reminds me of a more modern Master of Magic. Huge game with three separate campaigns, totally worth it :)

[quote name='thedragon']Disciples II: Dark prophecy absolutely rocks. I actually picked this up just a little while ago and started playing it recently, I've put in about 15 hours so far and I haven't even scratched the surface. It is a really cool rts/turn based strategy hybrid. Sometimes reminds me of a more modern Master of Magic. Huge game with three separate campaigns, totally worth it :)[/QUOTE]
Have you not played Heroes of Might & Magic? Do it now! You'll love it if you like Disciples. HoMM 3 is arguably the best in the series, so get that.

Yeah Disciples 2 is one of my all time favorite PC games. Too bad that Disciples 3 is supposedly really bad. Oh well.

I'll buy the GoG version so i don't need the disks anymore.

[quote name='dark2025']Have you not played Heroes of Might & Magic? Do it now! You'll love it if you like Disciples. HoMM 3 is arguably the best in the series, so get that.[/QUOTE]

I actually have never played Heroes of Might and Magic, I just recently started playing PC games again, I'll have to check it out though!

[quote name='dark2025']Disciples is kind of like HoMM, and is a very good game.

Jagged Alliance is a little like Fallout, with RPG elements and turn-based style combat. Also worth getting if you're into games like that.[/QUOTE]

Jagged Alliance is nothing like Fallout, other then you might find 1 or 2 guns that overlap. It is however a very challenging TBS strategy game and a true classic.

[quote name='Bruticis']Jagged Alliance is nothing like Fallout, other then you might find 1 or 2 guns that overlap. It is however a very challenging TBS strategy game and a true classic.[/QUOTE]
I mean like with the travelling, turn-based gameplay... actually the combat is more like X-Com.

I LOVE Jagged Alliance. One of my favorite strategy series of all time. I liken it to X-com meets FF Tactics meets non-linear turn based strategy game.

I just bought Disciples LAST NIGHT at full price. :( Wtf. Haven't even played it yet because of some stupid bug where the computer has to have a CD drive (or fake one via Daemon Tools--their suggested fix) to make it work.

Grr.

Other than that, these games are all fantastic. Wish I wouldn't have bought them til now. damn it.

Just got the email and picked up Disciples 2. Seems like fun and its a lot of content for $5.

Hopefully I'll get some time this weekend to give it a go.

Played Jaged Alliance 2 a while back. Way too hard IMO, but it is neat for what it is-I know a bunch of guys who were super into it.

I would buy Disciples 2, but I already bought it from Gog, so I guess nothing for me.

Tempted to pick up Jagged Alliance 2 and Disciples 2, but I really don't like buying games that are available on Steam anywhere other than Steam. Don't get me wrong, it's hard not to like gog.com, I've bought a couple of games there before that aren't available on Steam, I just prefer to have all my games/purchases through that.

I can understand wanting to consolidate things, but you actually own the stuff you're paying for on GOG.com, where you're basically renting from Steam. IMO GOG.com should be the first choice (as well as retail games without activation).

[quote name='TestType']Tempted to pick up Jagged Alliance 2 and Disciples 2, but I really don't like buying games that are available on Steam anywhere other than Steam. Don't get me wrong, it's hard not to like gog.com, I've bought a couple of games there before that aren't available on Steam, I just prefer to have all my games/purchases through that.[/QUOTE]

You might want to look into the Steam version of Jagged Alliance 2 before buying it there. While looking for the means of playing in a window I came across some forums where people were discussing bugs and stability issues with the Steam version that are not present in the latest retail patch and incompatibility with mods and things of that sort.

I can't vouch for the authenticity of that information but you might want to check before buying on Steam.

[quote name='hpv']You might want to look into the Steam version of Jagged Alliance 2 before buying it there. While looking for the means of playing in a window I came across some forums where people were discussing bugs and stability issues with the Steam version that are not present in the latest retail patch and incompatibility with mods and things of that sort.

I can't vouch for the authenticity of that information but you might want to check before buying on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip, I looked into it and it seems like there were some problems with running both on Steam, however JA2 has been patched about a year ago and people report Disciples is running fine despite a few people having problems.

That said, I'm heavily considering getting in on this deal for JA2 and perhaps D2. Although I'm worried there might be a sale sometime on Steam where I will regret getting the gog version.

Yes I'm a Steam whore, I happen to like the platform a lot for it's social features and other things. There's just something fulfilling about growing your Steam game list, I guess it plays into some OCD tendencies I might have :) You could argue you own the games more on gog and that on Steam you are more like renting them if you would need to take things to court or are worried about what Steam might decide to do with your account, which is something I'm not worried about.

However it seems that the JA2 Gold edition on Steam is not complete and the same can be said about Disciples II Gold, which along with the price difference is making me consider the gog version.

[quote name='TestType']
However it seems that the JA2 Gold edition on Steam is not complete and the same can be said about Disciples II Gold, which along with the price difference is making me consider the gog version.[/QUOTE]

JA2 Gold on Steam includes JA2 and JA2: Unfinished Business (a standalone campaign sold separately on GOG) along with some fixes/addition which are included in the GOG version of JA2.

Disciples 2 Gold on Steam and GOG each contain the base game and its three expansions.

Plenty of time to be spent with these games.
Jagged Alliance 2 1.13 fan patch [ModDB page for list of changes] (Urban Chaos mod also in first post)
Deidranna Lives mod

Disciples 1 scenarios
Disciples 2 scenarios

[quote name='cheapo72']JA2 Gold on Steam includes JA2 and JA2: Unfinished Business (a standalone campaign sold separately on GOG) along with some fixes/addition which are included in the GOG version of JA2.

Disciples 2 Gold on Steam and GOG each contain the base game and its three expansions.

Plenty of time to be spent with these games.
Jagged Alliance 2 1.13 fan patch [ModDB page for list of changes] (Urban Chaos mod also in first post)
Deidranna Lives mod

Disciples 1 scenarios
Disciples 2 scenarios[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, I had taken a closer look at the expansion breakdown for the games on wikipedia and saw that the only thing the Steam version of JA2 was missing was the Wildfire expansion, which is not part of the Gold edition.

I ended up getting JA2 on gog. I figure I'll pick up the JA2 and Disciples 2 bundle on Steam in a sale sooner or later. Meanwhile I have the gog version of JA2 which was the game I was more interested in of the two. Going on what I'm reading about it I won't mind paying for it twice, and despite my preference for Steam I like the gog folks a lot and like to support their business practices.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back