Import Your Game Collection from IGN to CAG

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]15172[/IMG-R]Our import tool lets you import your game collection from other sites (currently, just IGN) without having to manually type in each game name. Just select the site where you have your collection, type in your username from that site (not your CAG username), and click "Import". There are a few things to note before going ahead with an import.
  • There's a limitation on the number of times you can do this operation. Make sure you double check your username before you click "Import".
  • If you've already got some of these games in your collection on CAG, you'll get duplicate entries. So, either empty your CAG collection before importing, or resolve any duplicates after the import.
  • By using this tool, you're agreeing that the data you're importing is your own.
iconcag.gif
CAG Game Collection Import Tool

Last edited by a moderator:
Freaking awesome. I had put so much into putting games into my IGN list that I just gave up trying to start over on CAG.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!! I really didn't wanna put that much time into adding 800+ games into a 2nd game collection site (ever since the ign collection tracker went to shit). This fucking rules!

This may already be in the works, but I'd love to import my Collectorz.com Game Collector collection into my CAG collection!

now, all you need is another for the program, Game Collector, and i will be very happy.

I put all my work into the program, already amassed 300 or so games across 4 platforms so if you can incoporate that into this site that would be the best!

The site if you want to check out is: http://www.collectorz.com/game/

Oh yes thank you since as stated the ign.com doesn't seem to work anymore.

Any ability in the future to have game recommends or something like that? that was the only reason that I used the IGN one. But I think I'm on here at lot more then there so it's time to move on.

pretty cool, but i already have my CAG collection updated manually. some games are missing from my IGN account but i dont feel like double checking if duplicates pop up.

The timing is nice on this, since IGN has -- for some unknown reason -- made it nearly impossible to add things to lists.

A couple of questions before I do this:
- Does it import all of your comments as well?
- Can it (or will it) do DVD collections too?

Totally badass, Cheapy. This is pretty much a godsend for those of us disgruntled IGN users who couldn't be bothered with migrating our meager collections of over 1K games. :p

I always meant to do this, but would have probably never gotten around to reentering 900+ games manually. Thanks Cheapy.

[quote name='escapekey']The timing is nice on this, since IGN has -- for some unknown reason -- made it nearly impossible to add things to lists.

A couple of questions before I do this:
- Does it import all of your comments as well?
- Can it (or will it) do DVD collections too?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately it doesn't do comments and it won't do DVDs either, sorry. :(

Thank you!

IGN has dropped the ball, and their collection system hasn't worked right for weeks. But, I didn't want to manually move everything I had.

How do we report a misspelling of a game in the database?

I'm trying to import Tenchu: Stealth Assassins. One of the recommendations is technically the correct game, but, is spelled: Tenchu: Stealth Assasins.

[quote name='escapekey']The timing is nice on this, since IGN has -- for some unknown reason -- made it nearly impossible to add things to lists.
[/QUOTE]

yea, i gave up on them when i couldn't add anything anymore. it boggles the mind why they broke their own collection system. if CAG can import from Gamespot, that would be good too.

Man, I have been here forever, but I have my entire collection at Gamespot; same as LiK and have not wanted to import it anywhere else because I have like 1000+ games.

This is awesome- like many others here, I've been very annoyed with IGN screwing up their collection setup (way too much effort to workaround to get games in the collection now.) I've only been dealing with it for not wanting to manually move everything over. With this, I'm quite happy to give the CAG collection setup version a try. ;)

I can add more sites to import from - feel free to post a link to your collection here and I'll try and get it added to the system. (It needs to be an public URL accessible as a guest)

Since the collection system was implemented (or any site's collection system for that matter), I have been wanting something like this!

Ill be crossing my fingers for when GameSpot's one is done since I used to frequent there for a long time, and it's my only up-to-date list.

Now, if we could check our collections and wishlists in the CAG app (instead of it being just for deals since Amazon is being a douche), that'd be kinda cool on the go to have access too.

I don't even use IGN or any of those sites but I gotta say that this is damn impressive. IGN is probably the biggest, right?

Picture is also very cute.

Looks like it transferred 657 out of the 842 in my ign collection, so it has some kinks to work out, but hey, it's a hell of a lot better than doing all those manually! Thanks Super-Programmer John!

It didn't overlook quite as many from my IGN list, but it seems like it left out most, if not all my Master System titles among some others. Guess it even dubbed them too obscure. :p

[quote name='JTHuffy']Looks like it transferred 657 out of the 842 in my ign collection, so it has some kinks to work out, but hey, it's a hell of a lot better than doing all those manually! Thanks Super-Programmer John![/QUOTE]

[quote name='Firecrest']It didn't overlook quite as many from my IGN list, but it seems like it left out most, if not all my Master System titles among some others. Guess it even dubbed them too obscure. :p[/QUOTE]

Don't forget to visit the import page again after you see the games get added to your collection - there's an entire interface for cleaning up the remaining entries. Because the game matching is string based, anything the system isn't confident about will end up in limbo on the game import page. All you have to do is either:
- Confirm that the system's guess is accurate (click the tick button)
- Click the magnifying glass to search for other close matches and click the correct one, followed by the green tick button
- Choose the "Add to CAG database" option, we'll automatically add the game to your collection as soon as we've added it into the CAG database.

Curious, does IGN game collection have entries for Neo Geo Aes games. Because i have a ton of AES games that could be added to CAG but CAG only supports Neo Geo CD version only.

[quote name='John']Don't forget to visit the import page again after you see the games get added to your collection - there's an entire interface for cleaning up the remaining entries. Because the game matching is string based, anything the system isn't confident about will end up in limbo on the game import page. All you have to do is either:
- Click the magnifying glass to search for other close matches and click the correct one, followed by the green tick button
- Choose the "Add to CAG database" option, we'll automatically add the game to your collection as soon as we've added it into the CAG database.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I did all that and the importer still seems to have discriminated against my Sega-CD and Master System games, and possibly a few others as well. :p

Then again, with that many games in my IGN list, I really can't complain, so thanks again.

[quote name='Firecrest']Yeah, I did all that and the importer still seems to have discriminated against my Sega-CD and Master System games, and possibly a few others as well. :p

Then again, with that many games in my IGN list, I really can't complain, so thanks again.[/QUOTE]

Could you link me to your IGN collection?

Thank you Cheapy D. I've also been unable to add games to my collection through IGN so your timing is unbelievable. I have to go over my recent games I bought in the last few months but that shouldn't take long. This is a true blessing.

Hmmm, it says my games are being processed and it can take up to an hour to upload everything, however it hasn't moved nor added a single game in quite a few hours, and I can't even try again. The same message just stays there. Is there anything I need to do?

Alright, even I got to admit this is one bad ass feature. You won this round in winning me over for, which site to catalog my titles now.

[quote name='jthieme']It imported about 550 of my 850 games, I'm going through the others one by one but in general it looks like most of them aren't in CAG's database, mostly older PC games, but there were some new ones as well such as Blue Dragon Awakened Shadow. Here's my IGN list for reference:

http://club.ign.com/b/list/custom?&lid=100018&owner=jthieme&mode=vown[/QUOTE]

Did you do this?
[quote name='John']Don't forget to visit the import page again after you see the games get added to your collection - there's an entire interface for cleaning up the remaining entries. Because the game matching is string based, anything the system isn't confident about will end up in limbo on the game import page. All you have to do is either:
- Choose the "Add to CAG database" option, we'll automatically add the game to your collection as soon as we've added it into the CAG database.[/QUOTE]

I stopped maintaining my IGN list the minute the CAG collection system was up. Nice tool for new users or anyone who hasn't created a list yet. CAG rules!

[quote name='CheapyD']
  • If you've already got some of these games in your collection on CAG, you'll get duplicate entries. So, either empty your CAG collection before importing, or resolve any duplicates after the import.
[/QUOTE]

Is there a way to quickly empty a CAG collection? Or does each game have to be deleted one-by-one?

Any chance on getting import support from Delicious Library or comma-separated-value sheets? The Shipwreck in me keeps my media records locally on my computer.

bread's done
Back