Best way to hang these Michael's frame?

I cant tell from the pic but if they are the poster frames with really thin borders that just push on and are held with friction, they will eventually fall apart and or the poster inside will start to get ripples in it. If your posters are important then spring for a nicer poster frame

I work at Michels- that one's the 'good' poster frame, not the Styleline push-on crappy ones- those are the ones that fall apart. Go ahead and get the 3M stick-on hanging hooks- they sit 'flatter' than the nail-in hooks and should give you better looking results. If you really want to be cheap, you can try getting the nail-in ones and bending the hook with pilers, but it'll be harder to hang the frame. Either way, you'll need 2 hooks per frame (one on each side) to distribute weight properly- never use picture wire on something this big.

If you haven't bought a frame yet and this is just 'checking up', get a frame from the new Classicline set- they combine the sturdier frame of this line with an especially light acrylic. They're incredibly light- which makes them far easier to wall mount. I can't give you a link, since it's not on the website yet, but if you pick one up, you'l know- they're half the weight of the trendsetters (maybe more).

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I work at Michels- that one's the 'good' poster frame, not the Styleline push-on crappy ones- those are the ones that fall apart. Go ahead and get the 3M stick-on hanging hooks- they sit 'flatter' than the nail-in hooks and should give you better looking results. If you really want to be cheap, you can try getting the nail-in ones and bending the hook with pilers, but it'll be harder to hang the frame. Either way, you'll need 2 hooks per frame (one on each side) to distribute weight properly- never use picture wire on something this big.

If you haven't bought a frame yet and this is just 'checking up', get a frame from the new Classicline set- they combine the sturdier frame of this line with an especially light acrylic. They're incredibly light- which makes them far easier to wall mount. I can't give you a link, since it's not on the website yet, but if you pick one up, you'l know- they're half the weight of the trendsetters (maybe more).[/QUOTE]

depends....price is an important factor to me because i have more than 4 poster frames from trendsetter :D. but ill go ahead and check out the classicline set....are they the ones with the silver border? ill see..

as the poster frames i have now, the trendsetter...which 3m hook do you recommend? there are several types and i dont know which to get due to mixed reviews. i have 2 22 x 28 frames id like to hang and one 16 x 21.

[quote name='david12795']depends....price is an important factor to me because i have more than 4 poster frames from trendsetter :D. but ill go ahead and check out the classicline set....are they the ones with the silver border? ill see..

as the poster frames i have now, the trendsetter...which 3m hook do you recommend? there are several types and i dont know which to get due to mixed reviews. i have 2 22 x 28 frames id like to hang and one 16 x 21.[/QUOTE]

Right now, the Classicline comes in black and black/woodtone (at least in my store)- just pick one up, if you think "damn, this isn't any heavier than a piece of cardboard", it's the right one.

For your hooks, get these or these, depending on how close to the edge of the frame the loops are. I think the bad reviews you're seeing are for the picture strips- those are basically wall velcro and I don't reccomend them. The actual hooks are fine. (You can click here for the current coupon too.)

[quote name='DarkRider23']http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KYSAN4/ref=oss_product

I used these to hang up my posters and they work perfectly.[/QUOTE]

Those are good for posters by themselves, but the OP's trying to hang a framed one- those strips aren't designed for that.

Quite simply, I don't reccomend anything other than a proper hook for a frame- there's other things out there, but do you really wanna have to pick up broken glass (and risk damaging your art) if it fails? It's just easier to get a good, secure hanger from the get-go. Leave the strips for non framed things (calendars, for example.)

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Right now, the Classicline comes in black and black/woodtone (at least in my store)- just pick one up, if you think "damn, this isn't any heavier than a piece of cardboard", it's the right one.

For your hooks, get these or these, depending on how close to the edge of the frame the loops are. I think the bad reviews you're seeing are for the picture strips- those are basically wall velcro and I don't reccomend them. The actual hooks are fine. (You can click here for the current coupon too.)[/QUOTE]

Oh! No wonder! I looked up to on amazon and found these similar to the 3M hooks:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Command-17...=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&qid=1275733597&sr=8-12

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Command-17...ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1275733597&sr=8-1

As you can see, it got mixed reviews and they are hooks as well. but thank you thank you. I will definitely pick one up if I see a frame that light...but i can't buy it now because i "exceeded" the view limits on the coupons :(.

close to the edge of the loops are? can you explain that to me? i don't quite understand. lol.

[quote name='DarkRider23']http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KYSAN4/ref=oss_product

I used these to hang up my posters and they work perfectly.[/QUOTE]

Hmm maybe ill you use that when im not using frames ;)

[quote name='david12795']Oh! No wonder! I looked up to on amazon and found these similar to the 3M hooks:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Command-17...=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&qid=1275733597&sr=8-12

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Command-17...ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1275733597&sr=8-1

As you can see, it got mixed reviews and they are hooks as well. but thank you thank you. I will definitely pick one up if I see a frame that light...but i can't buy it now because i "exceeded" the view limits on the coupons :(.

close to the edge of the loops are? can you explain that to me? i don't quite understand. lol. [/QUOTE]

Those 2 links aren't hooks- if you read the descriptions, it says 'picture hanging strips'... which translates to Wall Velcro. Not a good idea for most framed art.

If you look at the enlarged photos of the links I put up, you'll see the regular hooks have a 2 inch (or so) plastic backing above the hook- it's the part you put the adhesive strip on. If your hanger is within 2 inches of your frame edge, you'll see that plastic part when you hang your picture. The sawtooth hangers put the plastic backing below the hook- it's not going to hold as much weight that way, but you won't see the plastic when you put up your frame.

I've got 2 sawtooth version hangers up right now (with 8 1/2 x 11" frames) that have held just fine for a couple years now- but since your poster frame is going to be heavier, use the regular hooks if you can.

Not sure how to help you with the coupon, I've never had that issue come up before. I'm sure if you poke around online, it's somewhere- or ask the manager at your local store. Sometimes they have extra coupons hiding around you can use (you'll probably have to fill out an email signup slip to get one, though.)

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Those 2 links aren't hooks- if you read the descriptions, it says 'picture hanging strips'... which translates to Wall Velcro. Not a good idea for most framed art.

If you look at the enlarged photos of the links I put up, you'll see the regular hooks have a 2 inch (or so) plastic backing above the hook- it's the part you put the adhesive strip on. If your hanger is within 2 inches of your frame edge, you'll see that plastic part when you hang your picture. The sawtooth hangers put the plastic backing below the hook- it's not going to hold as much weight that way, but you won't see the plastic when you put up your frame.

I've got 2 sawtooth version hangers up right now (with 8 1/2 x 11" frames) that have held just fine for a couple years now- but since your poster frame is going to be heavier, use the regular hooks if you can.

Not sure how to help you with the coupon, I've never had that issue come up before. I'm sure if you poke around online, it's somewhere- or ask the manager at your local store. Sometimes they have extra coupons hiding around you can use (you'll probably have to fill out an email signup slip to get one, though.)[/QUOTE]

So that hook you linked me to amazon is going to last for a few years?? I might as well just stick to a thumb tack if the 3m hook is going to give. By regular hooks you mean i should find one of those metal hooks that requires nailing the wall?

oh no, and i already know why it gave me the coupon error. I was using it earlier and i viewed it several times. it happened to me before. ill just have to wait until the next coupon.

[quote name='david12795']So that hook you linked me to amazon is going to last for a few years?? I might as well just stick to a thumb tack if the 3m hook is going to give. By regular hooks you mean i should find one of those metal hooks that requires nailing the wall?

oh no, and i already know why it gave me the coupon error. I was using it earlier and i viewed it several times. it happened to me before. ill just have to wait until the next coupon.[/QUOTE]

How it lasts will depend a bit on how closely you follow the directions- make sure the wall's clean, and don't hang up your frame for at least an hour (so the adhesive sets.) It will depend more on making sure you're not overweighting your hook (that's why you should use 2 per frame.) Aside from that, though, I don't see you having any issues.

I bought up my frames as an example of them not giving- it's been over 2 years and the frames are still up. We also use 3M hooks for our bags on some registers- we treat these hooks like crap. We never prep the walls, we don't let them set at all, and we tug on them constantly (filling bags, pulling off the full bags, yanking them when out aprons catch, etc.) Every so often, we'll break a hook- but it's the acutal hook (the part we keep yanking on), the adhesive is fine.

Long story short- the 3M hooks are reliable. I use them at work, I use them at home, and I've never been displeased with them.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']How it lasts will depend a bit on how closely you follow the directions- make sure the wall's clean, and don't hang up your frame for at least an hour (so the adhesive sets.) It will depend more on making sure you're not overweighting your hook (that's why you should use 2 per frame.) Aside from that, though, I don't see you having any issues.

I bought up my frames as an example of them not giving- it's been over 2 years and the frames are still up. We also use 3M hooks for our bags on some registers- we treat these hooks like crap. We never prep the walls, we don't let them set at all, and we tug on them constantly (filling bags, pulling off the full bags, yanking them when out aprons catch, etc.) Every so often, we'll break a hook- but it's the acutal hook (the part we keep yanking on), the adhesive is fine.

Long story short- the 3M hooks are reliable. I use them at work, I use them at home, and I've never been displeased with them.[/QUOTE]

Oh ok gotcha ;). So if I don't treat the hooks you did at work, then my hooks shall be good :).

Cleaning the walls? lol. ill try to dust the walls before i hang them. Should I be worried if my wall is painted or there shouldn't be any problems?

Oh and oops, i misread your post and thought you said it will last for another couple years.

Again, I appreciate the big help :)

[quote name='david12795']Cleaning the walls? lol. ill try to dust the walls before i hang them. Should I be worried if my wall is painted or there shouldn't be any problems?

Again, I appreciate the big help :)[/QUOTE]

The only reason a painted wall would be an issue is if the paint is appiled really badly and not sticking- so provided your walls aren't peeling, you're fine.

And no problem- I just happen to know more about these hooks than I reasonably should. :lol:

[quote name='DuelLadyS']The only reason a painted wall would be an issue is if the paint is appiled really badly and not sticking- so provided your walls aren't peeling, you're fine.

And no problem- I just happen to know more about these hooks than I reasonably should. :lol:[/QUOTE]

ooooo. that might be a problem. it does peel off easily when it is struck by an object.

Example: half of my chair broke in half while i was sitting and it chipped off parts of the wall.

i've gotten some paint off the wall from hanging my poster frames from bumping into it from the metal part that encloses the frame.

but i dont think it has been peeled off on its own. so i should be okay for the most part. i just got to make sure the adhesive sticks.

yes its a good thing you know these hooks. always a good thing to help noobs like me.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Right now, the Classicline comes in black and black/woodtone (at least in my store)- just pick one up, if you think "damn, this isn't any heavier than a piece of cardboard", it's the right one.

For your hooks, get these or these, depending on how close to the edge of the frame the loops are. I think the bad reviews you're seeing are for the picture strips- those are basically wall velcro and I don't reccomend them. The actual hooks are fine. (You can click here for the current coupon too.)[/QUOTE]

hey so earlier in the month i asked you about the hooks and which ones i should it it to hang. well i am about to buy them soon and i am having trouble on which ones to buy out of those 2 u mentioned. because i dont know understand what you mean by how close to the edge the frame/loops mean. currently i am using trend setter.

[quote name='david12795']O

Hmm maybe ill you use that when im not using frames ;)[/QUOTE]

Probably should have clarified. I'm currently using those things for my framed posters. The heaviest is the Iron Man 2 framed art I bought at Blockbuster.

bread's done
Back