MotorStorm Apocalypse - Out Now - 8/12: New Update w/Mode Editor & Move/Wheel Support

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/06/10/introducing-motorstorm-apocalypse/
More than two years ago we decided where the MotorStorm festival should head next, and I’ve been itching to talk about it ever since. Now, as part of the global announcement, and with E3 just around the corner, it’s so exciting to finally be able to share some information about the MotorStorm Apocalypse.

Here are some of the headlines…

You May Have Heard…We’re Heading to the City!
But this is no ordinary city. In the same way that the first MotorStorm was set in Monument Valley, and MotorStorm Pacific Rift was set on ‘The Island’, inspired by Hawaii and other Pacific islands, we’ve set this MotorStorm in ‘The City’, inspired by the West Coast of America, and, in particular, the Bay Area of California.

MotorStorm’s brand of racing is not about ‘going urban’ though. We all know that the lunatic ‘Stormers would take every expectation about street racing and turn it upside-down. So this is what they’ve done. Welcome to Brutal Urban Off-Road Racing!

Post Apocalyptic? NO!
The city has been abandoned and somewhat damaged after a tremor. When the ‘Stormers find this out, they head straight in. Pretty soon, two things become clear: it isn’t completely empty and Mother Nature isn’t done yet!

Throughout the game the city will be ripped to pieces, in real-time, as you race. Routes will be affected, as will our emergent gameplay.

Buggies using collapsing walls as half-pipes. Big Rigs on the rooftops of skyscrapers as they collapse. Superbikes gunning into the basements of enormous rifts. Supercars flicking on their headlights to barrel through the subways and sewers. Multi-vehicle pile ups on giant bridges as they buckle and twist. Driving through someone’s office and smashing up their desks. It’s all there.

Two groups have also stayed behind, and neither takes too kindly to MotorStorm’s arrival. I’ll talk more about them another time, but for now I’ll say that when they realise there isn’t going to be much of a city left, they start to destroy it too.

This isn’t post-apocalyptic. It’s apocalyptic. You are there when it happens. It’s survival racing.

Variety, Chronology and Depth are King
We’ve listened to everything people said about our previous games and, as a result, one of our priorities is to make a more satifsying overall game experience. In our single-player mode, every race is unique. When a building comes down it stays down. When you race a track again, the buildings will still be down and the MotorStorm crew will have carved yet more routes into the ruined landscape. The only time you’ll see the same thing twice is when you choose to. Underscoring this chronology is the fact that you’ll get to see the game from three different viewpoints.

Nothing annoys me more than the notion that an accessible action racer must also be shallow or plain dumb. So once you have experienced the single-player journey, the true depth of our title will come to the fore. Our overhauled ‘Wreckreation’ mode has been heavily influenced by the best online titles: from shooters and action adventures, RPGs and platformers. It features:

• Sixteen player online multiplayer.
  • Four player split-screen.
  • Combinations of the two. Play with three friends in the living room against 12 more online.
  • Massive vehicle customisation. Change vinyls, vehicle parts, vehicle shapes and more. Upload them to the community site and share them with others. They automatically work on all vehicle types, and include your PSN ID.
  • Vehicle perks. Modify your handling, boosting and offensive abilities as you unlock new perks.
  • A wealth of rankings to progess through online with associated rewards and recognition.
  • Stacks of online rewards to earn and persistent progress giving the most determined and successful racers the status and recognition they deserve.
  • Persistent matchmaking. Keep your party together throughout your gaming session.
  • A Game Mode Creator. From a completely blank canvas you can design your own game rules and victory conditions, play them online, and incorporate them into tournaments.
Lots More
We’ve got a lot more to reveal too; things like replacing loading screens with cut-scenes that finally reveal what it’s like to be a part of the MotorStorm subculture, to changes to handling and boosting, to the five completely new vehicle classes making their way to this festival.

The end of the world…is just the beginning.

Let me know your thoughts.
Seems like Split/Second meets MotorStorm with people on the tracks.

Im glad those screenshots cleaned up so nicely. I love Motorstorm, this looks like a great new setting. The dynamic environments and new online features sound like some fantastic additions as well.

Im definaitely looking forward to this one. Any chance this hits the streets before GT5?

My only beef with the first two Motorstorm titles is the issue with glitchers online. Love both games but rarely play them online for that reason. Both got great replayability offline and with friends though.

I love it when the Bay Area gets some video game representation. It's visual eye candy for me... and since I love the Motorstorm series, it's a day-one purchase for one. I can't wait to hear more about this game in the coming months. :D

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...o-demo-in-2011-dlc-plans-photo-mode-and-more/

Evolution made a simple post on the PS Blog that gives a good update of where everything on MotorStorm Apocalypse is at right now:

Here’s a recap of the new info we shared:
  • Player customization: Perks enable full visual customisation and performance customization in the form of perks are both new features.
  • Playable demo: A demo is being planned for 2011.
  • Stereoscopic 3D: We showed Skyline in stereoscopic 3D, and pretty much everyone agreed with me that it sets the benchmark for 3D gaming. I hope you get to experience it in this way!
  • Exclusive content: PSN avatars, dynamic themes, pre-order and PlayStation Plus exclusives are all planned and we’ll have specifics to share very soon.
  • New Photo Mode: We’ve got a sophisticated Photo Mode that can capture gameplay images in ultra-high resolutions, as well as some easy-to-use tools that allow for fantastic post-effects – all of the Skyline screenshots were taken using Photo Mode mid-race!
  • Post-release content: We have big ambitions to continue support for the game after it releases, and to develop some of the concepts we haven’t been able to find time for in development, including a special island track we’re hoping to be able to give away for free.
  • New taunts and gestures: All previous versions of MotorStorm featured the ability to taunt other riders. This time, we have a set of insanely flamboyant gestures guaranteed to get your opponents fuming.
  • New videos: The videos, including a series of developer diaries , will be launched on the PlayStation.Blog and PSN in the next couple of weeks.
  • Release date: We don’t have a final global release date, but are scheduled to launch in Spring 2011.

There should be some demoes available to try it out.. I'd say it's pretty arcadey (as I just turned off GT5) but it's damn fun.

I like the EU art better. I will have to get this just with it being the apocalyps. Have not been into racing games much but I'm starting to get into them now.

The game looks great, they've added the extra features that people have been asking for... and that's great. The only thing that I don't like about the game are the environments (in comparison to the old games) you're trading in those beautiful environments for a crumbling city. Instead of racing through San Fran. that you'd be racing through the jungles, in a forgotten city... something like that. I think it would have made for a better environment than just a crumbling city... plus it would have kept in line with the theme of motorstorm where as Apocalypse seems to keep in line with the theme of split second.

I don't think the theme of MotorStorm are jungles, which have only been in one of the three MotorStorm games with the others being the desert, a tropical island, and the Arctic. The series is about the group of Burning Man-wannabe partiers and extreme racers finding the craziest places to party and race and their latest choice is a city that is devastated by earthquakes.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I don't think the theme of MotorStorm are jungles, which have only been in one of the three MotorStorm games with the others being the desert, a tropical island, and the Arctic. The series is about the group of Burning Man-wannabe partiers and extreme racers finding the craziest places to party and race and their latest choice is a city that is devastated by earthquakes.[/QUOTE]

The City devastated by earthquakes is lame and generic in comparison to the places where they've raced in the past. I know what the game is about, I'm just criticizing the location because it won't look as nice as the previous locations. Also, I wish that add some of things that we see in the cut scenes to the races. Like for instance starting races fro the aircraft carrier and jumping down to the track.

edit: I'm not really complaining, I just miss the aesthetics from the previous versions. But honestly, because each game has changed location so drastically, you can still go back and play the old games have a different experience. The game is similar to split second, but SS doesn't provide the level of destruction that MS: A does.

Last edited by a moderator:
every racing atmosphere is generic. the desert, jungle and the artic... oh boy havent seen that before! do you want them to race in volcanos next? or underwater? the devastated city is only slightly less generic than the run of the mill setting the other games have had. so long as they look cool and are fun to race around, who cares.

[quote name='8bitArtist']every racing atmosphere is generic. the desert, jungle and the artic... oh boy havent seen that before! do you want them to race in volcanos next? or underwater? the devastated city is only slightly less generic than the run of the mill setting the other games have had. so long as they look cool and are fun to race around, who cares.[/QUOTE]

Motorstorm had some great track environments and they were NOT generic. I took a lot of photos from Motorstorm Pacific Rift and use the shots as backgrounds for the XMB... they were really nice.

There's going to be a ps3 bundle for this hopefully the price cut will be in effect making it a better deal. It's weird that they put this game in the bundle instead of resistance, uncharted or LBP2 I'd think they'd want a game that has sold more like MGS or GT...true system sellers.

the setting was generic though. thats what youre not getting. a jungle? a desert? the artic? all generic setting that are in a ton of video games. its what the dev does with the environment that makes it stand out and if the devs can take those environments and make them nice, what makes you think they wont be able to do it again?

i loved the motorstorm series, the only thing i didn't like was their leveling system in Motorstorm pacific rift, where you'd loose exp pts for not placing near the top of the field of a race... it was really frustrating...

[quote name='8bitArtist']the setting was generic though. thats what youre not getting. a jungle? a desert? the artic? all generic setting that are in a ton of video games. its what the dev does with the environment that makes it stand out and if the devs can take those environments and make them nice, what makes you think they wont be able to do it again?[/QUOTE]

Motorstorm had tracks that were very unique.. I mean yes, a circle is a circle but the jumps, the scenery the metal art. like in one of the pacific rift tracks you drove inside of giant shark mouth made out of metal and you had eyes for the tires. Stuff like that is what made the Pacific Rift tracks great imo. But you don't get that when you're environment is a city during an earthquake...there's not much eye candy in that. Not like it was when you were on the tropical island. I agree its really up to the developers to use the environment and make it stand out. But look at the shots that they devs took of the grand canyon, and of the island that they visited, those photos ended up being the canvas for some great tracks. Now that the canvas is a city, I think you lose some of the beauty but I think you gain more action since you have to deal with a changing track. (due to buildings falling over, streets coming up, etc) I wish that the devs could have done earthquake on a tropical island in a forgotten city. I'm just trying to say that I like the grand canyon, and tropical island settings a lot better than the city.

[quote name='lokizz']did anyone get one of those 1 week demo codes from gamestop?[/QUOTE]

Yep. I was just checking to see if anything had been posted here about it. You ought to start a new thread. :D

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Why would he start a new thread when there's already one for the game?[/QUOTE]

While he's mentioned it here. I'm sure if there was a thread that specified there is a beta available for some it would get alot more interest. The only reason I clicked this thread is because I already knew about the demo and wanted to see if anything had been posted yet. Since I wasn't the first to mention it I suggested he should. And I stand by that. This thread has nothing to do with the beta. ;)

There's a thread in the deals forum about it.

Anyway, it's already out in the UK PS Store, so if you want it now, that's the quickest way to get it right now.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']There's a thread in the deals forum about it.

Anyway, it's already out in the UK PS Store, so if you want it now, that's the quickest way to get it right now.[/QUOTE]

Check on that. Like I said I had just started looking to see if there was anything posted here. Once I saw the post here I stopped looking. Any idea if I could set up a gameshare with this? Just to share.

I guess you could but it wouldn't have any download limits since it's a demo.

Anybody that really wants it now could just use a UK account to get it right away rather than waiting until tomorrow night to get it that way.

I don't know how limited gamestop's demo codes are, but I've got a demo code for the first CAG Veteran (of at least one year) who PMs me. I just got the e-mail and won't use the demo. It starts tomorrow. If this has been up more than 10 min assume it has been taken, and don't fill my box. Thanks. And yes I do know this is not a contest page.

I love the variety of vehicles this has. Split/Second 2 could learn that (seriously, they all blur into "super concept car #2 of 4").

[quote name='bluedotlounge']Playing through the review copy. 7th race in the story mode. Managed to eliminate a racer AS I crossed the finish line: http://instagr.am/p/CS_ML/[/QUOTE]

Can you give any early impressions yet? Even if generic such as, "I like it" ? :D

[quote name='QiG']Can you give any early impressions yet? Even if generic such as, "I like it" ? :D[/QUOTE]

It's pretty darn solid. Any arcade-style racing vet will breeze to 1st place in the first 10 or so races in the story mode. With each stage being an intended mess, it's taking me a little longer (compared to other racing games) to memorize all the nuances of each track in order to win in the later races.

Maybe I'm getting old and lazy, but this is also the first time the Randomize feature appealed to me enough that I ended up using it in customizing my car. In the past I've taken the time to customize cars and RPG characters manually.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/15/motorstorm-apocalypse-racing-onto-store-shelves-may-3/

MotorStorm Apocalypse will be out on May 3rd and will have a bonus included for new copies:

I’m also happy to reveal that every new copy of the game will include a voucher for the Premier Pack DLC bundle, which will give you two exclusive in-game vehicles and more (pictured below).

There’s still plenty of time left before May 3 to pre-order your copy of the game and receive one of the exclusive Carbon Edition vehicles available. Choose from the supercar, rally car, or superbike. Each exclusive vehicle also comes with a sticker decal pack to trick out your in-game vehicles with the deep vehicle livery editor, as well as a unique dynamic theme and set of PSN avatars.

We’ll be posting more MotorStorm Apocalypse news between now and launch, including information about the upcoming demo and DLC plans, so stay tuned here to the PlayStation.Blog!

This is stil a day one buy for me (well.. day whatever GS will have it ready since I have some GCs to use). Three week delay seems pretty insignificant at this point with april being a big month between Portal/SOCOM/MK as it is. Going to pre-order today or tomorrow.

Got it the day after PSN went down, which killed my interest in getting through it quickly. Finished it yesterday, which should be a sign that the campaign isn't nearly as hard as it's been in every game in the series. The story for the Festival mode stinks, but I really enjoyed the quicker pace that it offered to just hop into the next race after I finish one. The cards are an interesting way to expand the MotorStorm "universe" and the story at least explains how the who thing started.

The tracks can be hard to tell where you should be going and what are dead ends, but the respawn is very quick and not as punishing as they typically are for racing games.

I've been wanting to try out the multiplayer since it looks like there's a ton of stuff to unlock in a Call of Duty kind of way.

if i loved split/second, will i like this game? ive been going back and forth on whether or not to get this game. i never played any motorstorm before.

If you like racing games, sure. It handles the catastrophes in a completely different way since you're not in control of them and the typical MotorStorm formula of multiple paths and vehicle types changes things, as well.

bread's done
Back