Most difficult old-school game?

tuffgoi

CAG Veteran
This one has my vote. Good ol' Genesis.

0jV8Y.png

If we're talking Genesis, I'd say Back to the Future 2/3. I couldn't get past the first screen part.

NES: Megaman... all of them. (Dishonorable mention to Deadly Towers and the stupid poison puddles, and Spelunker... oh, how I wanted to love that game but it was pure frustration.)

[quote name='speedracer']Battletoads. Goddamn things with the thing.[/QUOTE]

This and Ninja Gaiden for the NES.

Those.....damn.....birds....:bomb:

Mega Man 9... I loved the previous mega man games (3 especially) but 9 I couldn't even finish the stages let alone the bosses...

[quote name='speedracer']Battletoads. Goddamn things with the thing.[/QUOTE]

What? :lol:

I have to agree with the OP about Contra Hard Corps too though.

Silver Surfer for the NES. Einhander for the PSX. Devil May Cry 3 (original release) for the PS2. Resident Evil 5 Ndesu Boss Fight for PS3/XBOX360 on Professional made me want to take hostages.

Sinistar was tough unless you could execute the 255 lives trick.

In testing, the operators were unhappy with how long people could play the game on one quarter, so the developers were told to make it absurdly hard in the final version.

There are really too many to list.

I guess the one that I have the most experience + least success with was Battletoads. My friend owned it and over a period of probably two years, I think we beat the jet bike level maybe four times.

Anyone ever play Soldiers of Fortune: The Chaos Engine for the SNES (I think it came out for the Genesis too) I remember never being able to beat that game when I was a kid.

[quote name='Retom7']Mega Man 9... I loved the previous mega man games (3 especially) but 9 I couldn't even finish the stages let alone the bosses...[/QUOTE]
That's I said. :)

[quote name='Rodimus']Anyone ever play Soldiers of Fortune: The Chaos Engine for the SNES (I think it came out for the Genesis too) I remember never being able to beat that game when I was a kid.[/QUOTE]

I had it for the Genesis. I still don't think I've beat it either.
It had a cool story line but no cheat codes afaik.

The original NES Ninja Giaden has an absurdly hard final boss. It's a great game, but it would probably be better if that boss were made slightly easier.

Other than that, I remember many of the old RPGS being pretty hard because they were such level grinds. You'd have to stop for hours and just level up or have no chance of beating a boss. I guess at least they gave you a way to win, but it was weird. Also, the recent ports and remakes of Final Fantasy I make it so much easier. It really kills a lot of the charm of the original.

Isn't the Ninja Gaiden end game a collection of three bosses and if you lose against any of them, you get to start their level all over again? I had a semi-friend that had it back in the day but we never made it that far. I need to VC the trilogy just to experience the soul-crushing again.

Truth is there's probably some no-name, glitchy, broken POS game out there that is technically the most difficult. This question needs some qualifier like... "most difficult old-school game that is worth a damn"

Ghouls and Ghosts (torture)
Super Ghouls and Ghosts (more torture)
Mike Tyson's Punch out (Made it to Super Macho Man once without codes)
Blaster Master (can't remember much about this one but it was very tough)
Adventures of Bayou Billy (I still have nightmares of the driving levels to this day not to mention the enemies that would not die)
Contra (without the Konami code)
TMNT (fuck you dam level) :bomb:
Ninja Gaiden (I beat Bloody Malth once and got past the first boss of act 6 then couldn't beat Jaquio and gave up)
Battletoads both nes and gameboy versions never played the snes one (fucking all the levels past the first one)

Last edited by a moderator:
The original Castlevania for the NES. How many days of my childhood the Grim Reaper stole from me, I'll never know...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='xCKxKORNFLAKES']gears of war 2 on insane it pisses me off[/QUOTE]

Did you read the title of the thread? We are talking about OLD SCHOOL...NOT YOUR DAMN GEARS OF WAR! Now GTFO!!

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Ghouls and Ghosts (torture)
Super Ghouls and Ghosts (more torture)
Mike Tyson's Punch out (Made it to Super Macho Man once without codes)
Blaster Master (can't remember much about this one but it was very tough)
Adventures of Bayou Billy (I still have nightmares of the driving levels to this day not to mention the enemies that would not die)
Contra (without the Konami code)
TMNT (fuck you dam level) :bomb:
Ninja Gaiden (I beat Bloody Malth once and got past the first boss of act 6 then couldn't beat Jaquio and gave up)
Battletoads both nes and gameboy versions never played the snes one (fucking all the levels past the first one)[/QUOTE]
100% agreed.

Ghouls and Ghosts :bomb::bomb::bomb:

Battle Toads
Contra / w/out the code (forgot which one)
Ghouls and Ghosts
and Tmnt ( the part where you have to swim, i reckon that's the 1st time i ever rage quit on a video game )

The original Ninja Gaiden is very easy to me. I still play through it at least once a week on my top loader. Ninja Gaiden 2 and 3 on the other hand are brutal. I only beat the second one once and never finished the third. Best game series ever along with Castlevania!!

Zillion for the sega master system after you finally get to the end, you only have 10 minutes to escape the entire underground base...
that and Shinobi, without cheat codes, of course.

[quote name='ZForce915']Am I the only one that found the first MegaMan hard?[/QUOTE]

Nope. The Rock Monster in Wily's castle murders me every damn time. I've been trying to beat that game for close to 20 years.

[quote name='dothatthing']Zillion for the sega master system after you finally get to the end, you only have 10 minutes to escape the entire underground base...
that and Shinobi, without cheat codes, of course.[/QUOTE]

haha...I remember having to draw out the symbols ...never got around to beating it :(

also it was the first game where after reading the manual, I asked my dad "what's suicide? "

:D

Haha, cool! I loved Zillion... At the time there weren't many japanese games. My sister and I would play it together in order to keep track of the symbols, we had code words for each one to make it easier to remember. I loved the music for that game, too. I loved the music from all those old-school really hard games. If anyone's looking to get inspired to beat any of these oldies-but-goodies, listening to the chiptunes is a great way to get in the mood, you can find 'em at http://ocremix.org/

[quote name='Halo05']Nope. The Rock Monster in Wily's castle murders me every damn time. I've been trying to beat that game for close to 20 years.[/QUOTE]

Glad I'm not alone.

I also remember using a Game Genie on this game and still reaching a part that I couldn't get by. Or some kind of glitch where I was stuck somewhere I couldn't jump out of and had to reset the game.

[quote name='soonersfan60']If we're talking Genesis, I'd say Back to the Future 2/3. I couldn't get past the first screen part.

NES: Megaman... all of them. (Dishonorable mention to Deadly Towers and the stupid poison puddles, and Spelunker... oh, how I wanted to love that game but it was pure frustration.)[/QUOTE]

I loved Deadly Towers!!!!!

Needs a remake, ASAP!
___

My Achilles Heel was Wizards and Warriors...the jumping was unforgiving.

Oh, and Phantasy Star for the Sega Master System...Damn, was Lassic a hard boss battle.

I'll agree with Mega Man because of the Rock Monster, I couldn't beat him when I first got to him and never got back to it and finally beating him and the game for almost a year.

Rush'n Attack (NES) - Nobody has mentioned this yet, I remember it took me about a year to beat and was hard mostly because you couldn't continue/had limited continues and no codes to help you out.

I would also mention that many of the Sega Master System games were really hard compared to the vast majority of NES games, it's nice to see I'm not the only one that remembers and liked the music in Zillion lol

[quote name='plasticbathmonki'] Top Gun (I now hate aircraft carriers because of it), [/QUOTE]

Good call it was a bitch trying to land on the carriers!

Anyone here ever play Milon's Secret Castle for the NES? I remember that game becoming incredibly difficult in the later levels. I spent countless hours playing it and I know I never beat it.

[quote name='waxHead']Anyone here ever play Milon's Secret Castle for the NES? I remember that game becoming incredibly difficult in the later levels. I spent countless hours playing it and I know I never beat it.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't that the game that basically required you to buy Nintendo Power to see how to get through the levels? I remember it being terrible.

[quote name='Chacrana']Wasn't that the game that basically required you to buy Nintendo Power to see how to get through the levels? I remember it being terrible.[/QUOTE]

Good question... if that's the case, it would go a long way toward explaining why I had so much trouble with it ;)

bread's done
Back