Fanboys Blu-ray preorder $15.49 @ Amazon

Wrong forum man. There is a dedicated DVD/Blu-Ray forum though. A mod will move this there. Thanks for the heads up though! I will definitely pre-order this.

[quote name='Gosha']This isn't really a game deal.[/QUOTE]
Crap, you're right. I meant to post in the DVD/BD forum. My bad. Moderator, please move....

[quote name='tyrok3k']I already imported the Canadian release. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I already have the Canadian version too, are there any special features or anything new?

[quote name='mywhitenoise']I heard this movie was pretty awful, and didn't live up to it's hype.[/QUOTE]

If you love Star Wars then you'll like the movie and what hype are you talking about? It wasn't really advertised nor was it really shown in theaters.

[quote name='buster90']Not really a deal I talked to the director and he said the DVD will have a low price point.[/QUOTE]

um, wut? dvd is already out, and has been for about a year...

I'm a moderate Star Wars fan - I used to be a frothing fan back in the day until the travesties of the new movies were unleashed and I wanted to commit harikari with a lightsaber (although Episode III was mostly redeemable). Anyway I went into this movie with some "new hope" that, as a fan, it would be entertaining fan service at the very least. But that's basically the problem - it is ONLY fan service. There is nothing fresh or funny about this movie, it's just a big geeky inside joke. I wanted to like it so bad, but it was just tepid as hell. Don't get me wrong - the idea is awesome and there are some great cameos, but the execution is stale and predictable and the pacing slow. I rate it 2 out of 5 thermal detonators - not quite gundark poo, but close.

I used to be a pretty huge Star Wars fan. I really love this movie. Yes, it does end up being a big inside joke, but it IS a movie about Star Wars fanboys. It's a really fun adventure movie with a pretty nice, although really farfetched story. If you don't like or haven't seen Star Wars, you'll probably hate this cause you'll have NO idea what's going on. I'm definitely going to pre-order on blu ray, but it might be worth a blind DVD buy for somebody who isn't sure.

I will hold out till it is 10 bucks or less B&M. At that point it is worth it. I saw it when it came out on DVD and didn't expect much other then to like it. It was ok and at the end I thought it could have and should have been so much better.

It's not the funniest movie I have seen, but being a Star Wars geek I got all the jokes and the cameos were great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked this up for $3.99 on DVD around Christmas. Doesn't seem like the kind of movie I need to upgrade at this point.

[quote name='mywhitenoise']I heard this movie was pretty awful, and didn't live up to it's hype.[/QUOTE]

There was no hype really. If anything, this movie allowed more people to take notice of how the Weinsteins really don't know what they're doing when it comes to handling movies.

Fanboys was just one of many movies the Weinsteins decide to make, then after it gets made they decide they're not sure what to do with it, then they decide to let it sit on the shelf for years, often resulting in getting ditched into a few theaters without any fanfare to fulfill contractual obligations (see Outlander, Killshot). And like Killshot, they spent extra money on Fanboys to redo a lot of the movie, only to unceremoniously dump the movie. So they spend money on a movie they don't want to try and make money with, then they pour more money into it before not trying to make money with it.

Hell, there's a John Cusack, Ken Watanabe, Chow Yun Fat movie they've been sitting on that supposedly is coming out this year.

[quote name='buster90']Not really a deal I talked to the director and he said the DVD will have a low price point.[/QUOTE]

WTF? The movie came out last year on DVD. Excuse me, Dustin Hoffman just TXTed me.

[quote name='Indiana Jones']There was no hype really. If anything, this movie allowed more people to take notice of how the Weinsteins really don't know what they're doing when it comes to handling movies.

Fanboys was just one of many movies the Weinsteins decide to make, then after it gets made they decide they're not sure what to do with it, then they decide to let it sit on the shelf for years, often resulting in getting ditched into a few theaters without any fanfare to fulfill contractual obligations (see Outlander, Killshot). And like Killshot, they spent extra money on Fanboys to redo a lot of the movie, only to unceremoniously dump the movie. So they spend money on a movie they don't want to try and make money with, then they pour more money into it before not trying to make money with it.

Hell, there's a John Cusack, Ken Watanabe, Chow Yun Fat movie they've been sitting on that supposedly is coming out this year.[/QUOTE]

You forget that they shot additional footage that dumped the whole cancer subplot and made the entire trip a bit "Huh". Thankfully this is the ORIGINAL version on the Weinstein garbage.

I think what he meant here may have been the actual fanboy buzz going around the convention circuit and the like as the movie was in limbo for a couple years, and not actual mainstream hype. I'm only a moderate SW fan(like many, grew up on the originals, disappointed in the new stuff), but going to different shows like WizardWorld cons and Comic-Con, it definately generated a certain amount of buzz amongst the audience it was really made for. With that said, I netflixed it after hearing from word of mouth and various reviews that it wasn't that great, and was mildly entertained with it. Maybe not at this price point, but sub-$10 sure, go for it. Blu could be overkill though, I think regular DVD is fine for a movie like this unless you have a super TV exposing all kinds of defects where it's distracting to watch.

I'll wait to see some of the reviews of the blu-ray to see how this fares against the Canadian import, but odds are good I'll just buy this one.
(edit) July 27th... just after comic-con. Nice.

will be interested to see if this has extras as the Canadian version i have does not.
EDIT: or if they will just toss on the dvd extras and leave them in 480

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GizmoGC']You forget that they shot additional footage that dumped the whole cancer subplot and made the entire trip a bit "Huh". Thankfully this is the ORIGINAL version on the Weinstein garbage.[/QUOTE]

1. They didn't want to release the movie as is and were willing to eat a lot of money.

2. They decided to spend more money to bring in a new director to reshoot a chunk of it because they took a chunk out.

3. They decided to keep the original cut.

4. They dumped the movie into theaters with no fanfare and ate the money they spent as originally planned. Only now they ate even more money because of the reshoots they never used.

Better? ;)

The Weinsteins suck.

bread's done
Back