360 style controller for PS3

I will have to check into that one lonesome killer thanks. Also gettinmoney662 thanks for the help. Not everyone likes the PS3 controller and I play my 360 more and would like something that I am used to when playing my PS3.

It's probably cheaper for you to get used to playing with either controller so it's not such a big deal.

Thats what I'm thinking but I don't mind spending around 25 bucks for one if I can find one.

You're welcome. I have the same problem. I had a PS2 before Xbox and Gamecube. I absolutely can NOT tolerate the controller layout. I can kinda play on PS3, but I constantly trigger the R2 and L2 buttons. Also, I just can't aim as good in a FPS with the PS controller. I am more comfortable with the 360 layout.

A life time of gaming has taught me 2 things...
1. Movie tie in Video games suck
2. The only controllers worth buying are first party controllers.

You know what OP... I remember I had the same problem with the GC... I hated the GC controller and I bought some adapters so that I could use the PS2 controllers on GC... it never really felt right. You should just be patient and get used to the PS3 controller.

http://gizmodo.com/5563483/power-a-makes-a-wireless-xbox-360-controller-for-the-ps3

I think this is a review of the controller linked by Frisky. This looks like a nice option and $20 for the sans six-axis model sounds reasonable.

Personally, I have a similar problem, only I loved the "Duke" controller. I have found that a pair of the real trigger (glued in place for the real stressful moments) and some anti-slip sand paper tape for the top of the analogs has done wonders for playability. On top of that youll look really cool/nerdy having a fully custom controller, depending on the people you play with

The Rocketfish from Best Buy is only $10, as it's being clearanced out now. There's also the dreamGEAR Shadow wireless controller which is set up like the 360 controller.

But the Rocketfish is actually Bluetooth, while the dreamGEAR requires a USB dongle to work with the PS3.

I actually have a bunch(4) of the Rocketfish ones that I bought from a local BB, though I have to wonder if it'd be a pain to ship them or not.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The Rocketfish from Best Buy is only $10, as it's being clearanced out now. There's also the dreamGEAR Shadow wireless controller which is set up like the 360 controller.

But the Rocketfish is actually Bluetooth, while the dreamGEAR requires a USB dongle to work with the PS3.

I actually have a bunch(4) of the Rocketfish ones that I bought from a local BB, though I have to wonder if it'd be a pain to ship them or not.[/QUOTE]

How are the triggers? Do they support motion controls?

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']How are the triggers? Do they support motion controls?[/QUOTE]
The triggers are weaker than the PS3's standard controller, the PS button takes a little loosening up before it works pretty well and the battery life on a single charge is negligible. But then again if you play like I do(4-5 hours at a clip), even the Dual Shock 3's battery gets drained when using the controller that much in one night.

I look at it this way, for $10 from Best Buy it's a hell of a deal for a second/spare controller, especially since it's Bluetooth. That's something that the rest of the controllers out on the market don't have. A majority of them use the USB dongle method and the only other one with an internal battery that's like the 360 controller is the dreamGEAR Shadow.
[quote name='sendme']Is this the rocketfish are you talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Rocketfish-Ra...ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1276647656&sr=8-2 [/quote]

That's the EXACT one I have. Mind you, I paid about $60 less than that seller on Amazon is charging for it. :lol: The price can't be beat for a pretty decent controller.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']http://gizmodo.com/5563483/power-a-makes-a-wireless-xbox-360-controller-for-the-ps3

I think this is a review of the controller linked by Frisky. This looks like a nice option and $20 for the sans six-axis model sounds reasonable.

Personally, I have a similar problem, only I loved the "Duke" controller. I have found that a pair of the real trigger (glued in place for the real stressful moments) and some anti-slip sand paper tape for the top of the analogs has done wonders for playability. On top of that youll look really cool/nerdy having a fully custom controller, depending on the people you play with[/QUOTE]

:drool:

I have to buy me one of those!

The only problem I had with the dreamGEAR one is that the wireless went f'n haywire because I think it was set to the same frequency as my cordless phone and my wifi on my modem.

So for those with the same items like me in the same room as the wireless controllers, you may find yourself unable to use the controller once it goes wireless as it may just go haywire.

Hey OP, I just listened to the PS Nation podcast today (E3 part day 2) and they were saying Nyko was coming out with a PS controller that was like the 360 controller. So you may want to wait until they get that out before buying.

Thanks for the info. I was going to pick up that one that is sold at Best Buy but they don't have them. I had hopped that they might have some left but they didn't. I will hold out for the one from Nyko and hop it is of good quality.

[quote name='sendme']Thanks for the info. I was going to pick up that one that is sold at Best Buy but they don't have them. I had hopped that they might have some left but they didn't. I will hold out for the one from Nyko and hop it is of good quality.[/QUOTE]
I have four of the Rocketfish controllers left out of the six I picked up. I figured a few friends of mine who wanted extra PS3 controllers would want them for cost or so, but that never panned out.:cry: So I ended up testing one and giving one to my buddy for his nieces to use as a spare.

I still have two spare Dual Shock 3's from those game/controller packs last fall, so I have no need for the other four from BB.

Assuming I can find a small box someplace that'll fit it without crushing it, I would gladly do each of these remaining four for $10.59(my cost) plus whatever shipping would run. If you wanted multiples, then I could easily just plop them into a flat rate Priority box and skip having to try and find a box for shipping them.:D

Thanks I will keep that in mind cheapest gamer however I will now hold off till that Nyko controller comes out.

The only mod I found online said that it cost around 100 bucks to do and I don't have the tools to do it.

My misses has always preferred the 360 controller (although she also states that once she starts playing the analog stick placement doesn't bother her) so I think I'll be waiting until that Nyko one comes out as well. This thing has rumble though right? Stupid question I know - but would like to make sure.

Here you go OP. Throw some more 360-like PS3 controllers to the pile.

http://www.destructoid.com/power-a-s-ps3-accessories-look-good-nuff-said-177336.phtml

twer-noscale.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're thinking about the Rocketfish brand controller, it's okay, but I got mine at a Best Buy store for 9.99 (way cheaper than BB online), so if you have one close by it's worth a peek. I got it to have a cheap extra controller for 4-player games, but good to keep in mind that any third party controller just won't be as good.

[quote name='dothatthing']If you're thinking about the Rocketfish brand controller, it's okay, but I got mine at a Best Buy store for 9.99 (way cheaper than BB online), so if you have one close by it's worth a peek. I got it to have a cheap extra controller for 4-player games, but good to keep in mind that any third party controller just won't be as good.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. They're only worth about $10 each unfortunately, which is largely due to the weaker trigger springs, the PS button that takes a little 'breaking in' before it works 100% of the time on the first shot and the battery life that's a little bit suspect at times.:cry:

Otherwise, it's a comfortable controller for me and well worth the money.

As for that controller from Power A, jh, did any of the articles about it say whether or not it's just plain wireless or if it's Bluetooth? Cuz if it's BT that would make only TWO out of the bunch of third party PS3 controllers that I've seen that are BT enabled. The other one that I can remember seeing is the Rocketfish one.

Otherwise every other third party controller runs off of 2.4ghz wireless and if you have a cordless phone in the same room as your PS3 then it might make the wireless a bit wiggy at times.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']As for that controller from Power A, jh, did any of the articles about it say whether or not it's just plain wireless or if it's Bluetooth? Cuz if it's BT that would make only TWO out of the bunch of third party PS3 controllers that I've seen that are BT enabled. The other one that I can remember seeing is the Rocketfish one.

Otherwise every other third party controller runs off of 2.4ghz wireless and if you have a cordless phone in the same room as your PS3 then it might make the wireless a bit wiggy at times.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I couldn't find that info anywhere (blutooth or 2.4 GHz wireless).

http://www.powera.com/ps3/ps3.asp?section=4&prod=051083
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlo51jSlBgo
http://gizmodo.com/5563483/power-a-makes-a-wireless-xbox-360-controller-for-the-ps3

I guess you'll have to wait until it's in the store and see on the package, or you might e-mail the customer service and find out...

Yeah, I read the Gizmodo article and they said that the R1/2 and L1/2 buttons are really mushy... that doesn't sound to good to me.

It took me a little while to get used to the DS3 when I first got my system, but now that I'm used to it, a really feel comfortable with the DS3.

I added those Real Triggers to the L2/R2 buttons on my Dual Shock 3 and they definitely help, as my fingers kept slipping off those buttons otherwise. The Rocketfish one has curved triggers already but they definitely need a little more girth to them as they're a bit thinner than the DS3 ones.

Cool. Another company has made a third party Bluetooth PS3 controller. That's the only main problem with all of the 'wireless' third party ones for the PS3, in that they all require those dongles.

[quote name='Goemar']That can't be bad thing, not shiny enough though[/QUOTE]
You want shiny? Those Rocketfish controllers from Best Buy start out like mirrors when you first open them up, but if you play with greasy/dirty hands then they lose that sheen over time.

I don't mean like THAT shiny, I mean more like the actual Dualshock 3. The PSP is really fucking annoying with finger marks etc. don't need more shiny things in my hands.

[quote name='Goemar']I don't mean like THAT shiny, I mean more like the actual Dualshock 3. The PSP is really fucking annoying with finger marks etc. don't need more shiny things in my hands.[/QUOTE]
The actual Dual Shock 3 really isn't that bad since it's a matte finish. Although if you use it enough you could probably wear the finish off and make it shiny.:razz:

bread's done
Back