XBLA - Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
[youtube]5FwD6ZeOPpE[/youtube]

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair is now available on Xbox Live for 1200 points ($15). It is a multiplayer-focused Metroidvania-type game for up to 6-players. You can play single-player, but it's much harder that way. There are six separate levels, each of which is timed and ends with a boss fight. Some grinding is necessary to earn better equipment and improve spells, so you'll be playing those levels multiple times. Beating the game on Normal unlocks Hard mode, which is much tougher and contains better loot.

Characters

Soma:
Can equip two weapons simultaneously or 2h weapons. Can equip guns.
Can use QCF+Attack to use special abilities from certain weapons.
Gains souls from kills. Can get souls from other player kills. Each soul pickup increases soul strength.
Is the only character (so far) who can change his RB assignment.

Alucard:
Can equip two weapons simultaneously or 2h weapons. Cannot equip guns.
Can use QCF+Attack to use special abilities from certain weapons.
Gains scrolls from kills / chests. Each scroll pickup increases spell strength.

Jonathon:
Cannot equip any weapon other than the whip.
Gains new sub weapons and martial arts from kills / chests. Sub Weapon strength and overall offensive power (whip, martial arts) increases with sub weapon use.
Martial arts do not need to be equipped; you can use them the second you get them (if you know the motions).

Charlotte:
Cannot equip any weapon other than the book.
Gains new spells by absorbing them with RB. Increase their power and overall offensive power (Book) by successive absorbs.
Only gets money and def gear from drops / kills, good for farming gold.
Is the only character (so far) who cannot dive kick.
Has the fastest (unassisted) magic regeneration.

Shanoa:
Gains ALL off gear (weapons and magic) by absorbing glyphs (hold UP when they appear). Increase their power and overall offensive power by successive absorbs.
Can use QCF+attack or alternate button presses to use special abilities / combos with certain glyphs.
Only gets money and def gear from drops / kills, good for farming gold.
Is the only character (so far) who can use magnets to get around (RB).

Thanks to thetrufenix at http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997663-castlevania-harmony-of-despair/55887432

DLC characters: 240 points each (ouch!)

• Julius Belmont - Julius can swing from the same spots as Shanoa.
    banner.png
  • Yoko Belnades - Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
    banner.png
  • Richter Belmont - Dracula X: Rondo of Blood
    http://cdn.cheapassgamer.com/picture.php?albumid=5990&pictureid=20660
  • Maria Renard - Dracula X: Rondo of Blood version
    banner.png
  • Simon Belmont - 160 Points
    banner.png
  • Getsu Fuma - 160 Points
    banner.png
Achievements

• Bone Cold Justice (10):
    Defeat an enemy by hitting back a Skeleton's bone.
  • Boned (20):
    Defeat a boss with 5 players in skeleton form.
  • Grasshopper (20):
    Jump kick 30 times in a row without touching the ground.
  • Grim Synergy (10):
    Defeat a boss using a Dual Crush.
  • Hunter Legend (30):
    Complete Hard Mode.
  • Lifeguard (10):
    Bring a comrade back from the dead.
  • Pack Rat (20):
    Collect 300 different types of items.
  • Poetic Justice (15):
    Defeat an ally who has been seduced by the enemy.
  • Slaughtervania (20):
    Rack up 10,000 enemy kills.
  • Slick Kick (10):
    Defeat a boss using sliding.
  • Vampire Hunter (15):
    Destroy the lord of Castlevania.
  • Wicked Deep Pockets (20):
    Amass 1,000,000 gold.
[youtube]I2yLqYrcdUg[/youtube]

Downloadable Content

[*]Music Pack 2 - 160 Points
Includes:
  • [youtube]igDJ-pWxOU4[/youtube]
  • [youtube]De671JQVwIo[/youtube]
  • [youtube]2pMOGCfyLj4[/youtube]
  • [youtube]7F6yeYYYYh0[/youtube]
  • [youtube]i_0n0RJHGXY[/youtube]

Reviews

IGN
Kotaku
1up.com
GiantBomb
Destructoid
Joystiq
GameSpot
GamesRadar
Strengthgamer

Last edited by a moderator:
Skeptical as to how the multiplayer aspect will be, but I love Metroidvania games so this is definitely high on my radar.

I hope it's awesome, but will buy it even if gets bad reviews, I'll buy it. I'll buy almost anything Castlevania. Except for that piece of shit Wii game. It was just too bad.

Hydro Thunder is worthless without the vibrating seats and blasts of cool air in your face from the arcade machine. But new Castlevania? Sounds great, even though I never got close to finishing SOTN. Monday Night Combat sounds cool as well. Thank God this is next month and not this month.

I'm thinking they'll save the Dreamcast for September so they can coincide with the anniversary of the system's release. That would have made more sense last year with the 10th anniversary, but I'm not complaining as long as we get the games.

[quote name='Matt Young']Hydro Thunder is worthless without the vibrating seats and blasts of cool air in your face from the arcade machine. But new Castlevania? Sounds great, even though I never got close to finishing SOTN. Monday Night Combat sounds cool as well. Thank God this is next month and not this month.[/QUOTE]

Hydro Thunder on Dreamcast was fun. Will be much better with online multiplayer.

[quote name='Ziv']I hope it's awesome, but will buy it even if gets bad reviews, I'll buy it. I'll buy almost anything Castlevania. Except for that piece of shit Wii game. It was just too bad.[/QUOTE]

Golem is a beast!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know if this has splitscreen co-op? Or is it just relegated to Live?

From what I've encountered playing Earthworm Jim, Sonic 2, and numerous other 2D platformers on Live, the general populace are atrocious at games like this. The option to play it locally with friends would make the game amazing.

[quote name='Matt Young']Hydro Thunder is worthless without the vibrating seats and blasts of cool air in your face from the arcade machine. But new Castlevania? Sounds great, even though I never got close to finishing SOTN. Monday Night Combat sounds cool as well. Thank God this is next month and not this month.[/QUOTE]

fan + gaming chair :lol:

Thanks for the link Ryukahn. My excitement for this game just completely disappeared. I was hoping for a true, 2D, HD, metroidvania experience. This is an interesting take on castlevania, and is honestly a great fit for XBLA, but it's not what I was hoping for. Ah well, back to playing on the DS's dinky screen for my only castlevania fix (other than SOTN)

[quote name='J7.']fan + gaming chair :lol:[/QUOTE]
That's actually a really good idea.

I was thinking more along the lines of "friend farts in your face while calling you with your phone set on vibrate."

[quote name='Zmonkay']Thanks for the link Ryukahn. My excitement for this game just completely disappeared. I was hoping for a true, 2D, HD, metroidvania experience. This is an interesting take on castlevania, and is honestly a great fit for XBLA, but it's not what I was hoping for. Ah well, back to playing on the DS's dinky screen for my only castlevania fix (other than SOTN)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd definitely prefer a Metroidvania game, but I'll still check this out.

[quote name='Kerig']That's actually a really good idea.

I was thinking more along the lines of "friend farts in your face while calling you with your phone set on vibrate."[/QUOTE]

:lol: Get him to eat something that makes it smell like oil.

After Konami charged 1200 for Rocket Knight, there's no way they'd go lower on a new Castlevania (or the upcoming Contra Hard Corps).

This drops Wednesday... really pumped to play it.

Always looking for more CAGS to add to my friend's list, so feel free to add me if you are going to be playing this.

Superfro33 of the Signed In podcast already has the game and has been playing it, so I looked at the achievements. Apparently there is some way of "turning evil" because there is an achievement for "defeat an ally that has been seduced by the enemy."

Haven't turned anyone evil yet, but I love being able to pick between a variety of characters. ALUCARD is still the man though. Not digging this as much as I'd hoped I would. It reminds me of a lot of CV: Rebirth in the sense that it's technically good, but does nothing really new gameplay-wise to make it a must-buy. Also, trying to play with anything but the zoomed in view is impossible, and the time limit imposed on each chapter is annoying.

I thought that might be the case. Hopefully you'll enjoy it more once it comes out and everybody's playing. Which site do you review for, BTW?

[quote name='eastx']I thought that might be the case. Hopefully you'll enjoy it more once it comes out and everybody's playing. Which site do you review for, BTW?[/QUOTE]

I'll be reviewing this for Game-Over.net

I just read the IGN review and they enjoyed the game as a multiplayer title, but if you can't get a good group together the game isn't very fun and apparently does a very poor job of explaining how to play.

I am a Castlevania die-hard though, so I'll still buy this. I just hope I can find people to play with.

[quote name='Ryukahn']This is due for release on August 4 with a price of 1200 points. The news of the price has definitely bumped this down on my radar.[/QUOTE]

Seems like all the Summer of Arcade games are 1200 points each, or at least Deathspank and Limbo are. Probably started at this point because of the promotion if you buy all of them.

Hm, I'll try the demo, but it sounds like a pass for me. I'm not one for multiplayer games, especially one that is at the expense of the single-player experience.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Seems like all the Summer of Arcade games are 1200 points each, or at least Deathspank and Limbo are. Probably started at this point because of the promotion if you buy all of them.[/QUOTE]
DeathSpank isn't a Summer of Arcade title, but you are correct all the Summer of Arcade titles this year are 1200 MS ($15). I almost feel obligated to buy two more so I can get a little money back. Limbo was a fantastic game, but I wish I didn't spend $15 on it and I'll end up buying Castlevania because it's Castlevania and I have a great weakness when it comes to the franchise. So now for the third game it's between Lara Croft and Monday Night Combat now.

Seems kinda hard to solo, I only did chapter 1 solo, and did chapter 2 and 3 with two others guys. I wasn't able to beat chapter 4 with them.

I kinda wish you could equip your stuff in the main menu with the shop.

Gametrailers has a video review up. It was favorable. I was worried it was going to be terrible but I see myself having fun with this game. I'll pick it up.

Yeah, I thought it would be lower. The game is kinda addictive trying to get stronger with loots, getting new spells and leveling them.

I bought it because I had a few people to play it with. It's pretty fun actually. I used Shanoa, and there's a lot of unique puzzles for her, which is surprising. It seems almost like the game was built for her and they just shifted other characters into it. I'll play more of it. It's definitely hard, especially Chapter 4.

Visually, the game looks like a blown up DS game. If you hear otherwise, those people are lying.

Lot of fun playing online, Shanoa is my favorite character. I try like 4-5 with a team for the last boss. It was easier to solo him with Shanoa. I am going to try hard mode later. Hope there are better loots.

[quote name='KingBroly']I bought it because I had a few people to play it with. It's pretty fun actually. I used Shanoa, and there's a lot of unique puzzles for her, which is surprising. It seems almost like the game was built for her and they just shifted other characters into it. I'll play more of it. It's definitely hard, especially Chapter 4.

Visually, the game looks like a blown up DS game. If you hear otherwise, those people are lying.[/QUOTE]
I just played the demo and can safely say that playing solo in this game isn't much fun. It's Castlevania, but the arcade presentation and approach to the game takes away many of the elements that has made me love the series so much over the years. I especially don't like the way you have to swap your items out.

Regardless though I enjoyed playing the game enough to make me want to pony up the points and buy the full game, but I need to get some friends to play this too.

Jimbo - Thanks for invite I had fun but I had to bail for work. If you see me on again send me an invite.

I really like it so far. Multiplayer was a lot of fun, unfortunately I only had time for one level.

After trying all the characters I like Shanoa, she's the most unique. Alucard and Soma a little too one dimensional. My next character will probably be Jonathan.

Me and two other people beat Stage 5 and almost beat Stage 6. If one of them got out of the way of this easy to dodge attack on the final form of the boss I could've beaten it, because its' pattern is simple.

What's up CAG, me and Zewone played this game for a bit today but need some help on Stage 3. If any CAG is going to be around later tonight or tomorrow to play with us, that would be great. Just friend me.

Hey, I'm the OP now! Thanks, Thrustbucket and Shrike.

Updated the first post a bit; I'll do more with it over the weekend.

bread's done
Back