http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io8hSGjcJng

Platform: Wii™
Launch Date: November 20, 2011
ESRB: RP (Rating Pending)
Game Type: Action-Adventure
Players: 1
Developer: Nintendo

General Information:

The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword marks a turning point for The Legend of Zelda franchise. The introduction of full motion control enabled by the Wii MotionPlus™ accessory synchronizes player movements with Link’s actions while offering the most intuitive play control of any game in The Legend of Zelda franchise to date.

FEATURES:

• Thanks to the required Wii MotionPlus accessory, every movement of Link’s sword matches the player’s motion with exact precision. If players motion left to right, Link™ swings from left to right. The precision play control is applied to enemies as well, as players must contemplate strategy when battling opponents that actively try to defend against attacks.

• Wii MotionPlus puts an arsenal of items at the player’s disposal. It offers a multitude of actions with just simple, intuitive motions. Players will try their hand at firing a bow, tossing bombs and using a whip to battle enemies and solve puzzles.

• The game will also introduce a distinct new graphical style perfectly suited to the franchise’s fantastical universe, like a painting come to life.

• The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword will offer a multitude of new game-play mechanics, giving it a refreshingly different feel from all of the past titles in the series.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ananag112']I really hope we can get rid of the controller guide on the side of the screen. It looks very annoying.[/QUOTE]
Me too.

[quote name='ananag112']I really hope we can get rid of the controller guide on the side of the screen. It looks very annoying.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I'm guessing the HUD is being exaggerated for the reveal. Even New Super Mario Bros Wii got fairly noticeable overhauls by the time it was released, only months after E3. Very interested to hear more information on this time as it becomes available.

Also, let's get this out of the way now. *deep breath*

RIGHT HANDED? WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

They mentioned at one point that the controller guide and the current GUI was intended for the development/exhibit version. The GUI will likely be changed for the final version.

Also, some story details from the roundtable:
http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6265821/nintendo-developer-roundtable-live
http://wii.ign.com/articles/109/1098500p1.html

6:45: How many people remember the scene where Link dives off the cliff in the trailer? That's a very important point for the storyline. This time around, Link is born and raised in a land called Sky Loft, a land floating above the clouds. It may sound unique for someone to live on a floating land, but Link finds it ordinary. A land beneath the clouds is discovered, it's ruled by evil forces, but Link is forced to go there. Link has to travel between the two lands in this adventure. The Skyward Sword is his driving force behind his traveling between lands. That mysterious figure in last year's art is the Skyward Sword. People suspected this to be the Master Sword…but spoiler alert, the Skyward Sword becomes the Master Sword. (laughs).

And other comments (so far)
The sky is also very important to the game, apparently.
He said when you play the game, the cloud banks are "very impactful" and they wanted to make the art style highlight them.
Apparently Miyamoto was such a fan of the art style the approval process took one step.
Miyamoto said he's a big fan of Impressionist Art, so the new art style reflects that. He said Cezanne was a big influence.

6:47: There will be lots of visual cues to identify enemy attacks and weaknesses, and the best way of relaying this to the player is through overexaggerating character designs, so full realism just wouldn't work. If we used the same graphics from Twilight Princess, the game would already be done.

He said the Wii MotionPlus offers such precision that players have to pay close attention to the enemies. For instance, the demonstrator is fighting a scorpion, and must hit its claws at specific angles.

Some OoT3D and SS talk:
# Posted 6:58 PST
He said the Wii MotionPlus will have a new pointing system that will make the Wii Remote be used like a three-dimensional mouse.

# Posted 6:57 PST
He said the pointing item system from Twilight Princess could be cumbersome because people often couldn't find the cursor on screen.

# Posted 6:55 PST
Miyamoto says the item selection process may be unfamiliar, but once players are used to it, they will get used to it.

# Posted 6:54 PST
He said that Skyward Sword will make item management and changing clothes much easier and more streamlined.

He says the 3DS version will make this process much easier.

He apologizes for the long time it took to change out of iron boots going through the Water Temple.

# Posted 6:53 PST
He asks how many people have played Ocarina of Time. ALL the hands go up.

# Posted 6:52 PST
He said they also want to change the typical structure of Zelda games with Skyward Sword.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was really glad to hear that the E3 demo only went poorly because of electronic interference. Looks pretty good. I loved the dark tones of Twilight Princess, and I enjoyed playing as Wolf Link. Still, Zelda games are guaranteed good times, so I'm likely in for a copy of Skyward Sword.

This game also looks great. My oldest (9) says it's his most anticipated. I can't argue with him, though I've got to give the edge to Kirby.

[quote name='Strell']I'm guessing the HUD is being exaggerated for the reveal. Even New Super Mario Bros Wii got fairly noticeable overhauls by the time it was released, only months after E3. Very interested to hear more information on this time as it becomes available.

Also, let's get this out of the way now. *deep breath*

RIGHT HANDED? WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF[/QUOTE]

I know it's canon and all, but can you really play Zelda if Link is left-handed and you're not? I think there must be a left-handed option (if you're left-handed), so if you're a purist you can play it that way. ;)

The one and only thing that sucks about this game...

It's going to come out late next year if not late winter/early spring 2012 =(

I don't think so, skiizim. I believe it's coming out early 2011, since they wanted all year to work on this. They didn't say anything about next year as well.

I hope they do include a handedness option. I'm not left handed, but I think the option should be there for those who are (and Strell.)

I think I saw somebody in a video playing the demo at E3 left-handed (remote in left hand), so either there was a way to change it so it makes sense or they were just doing it anyway. I doubt they'd put it through without an option even if it doesn't have it now though.

Sorry, no left-handed mode: http://ds.ign.com/articles/109/1099435p1.html

IGN: In past Zelda games, people noticed that Link was obviously left-handed. And I know that all the Zelda games are stand-alones -- but in this particular game, will there be a lefty option for left-handed people?

Aonuma:
It's interesting because people say "all you have to do is switch it." But in reality, it's really hard. You have to change all the models -- you have to make two of everything. So really you're making two complete games, one left-handed version and one right-handed version. We just can't do that. For Twilight Princess, what we did was just create a mirror -- we flipped everything. And if that worked I guess we could do it that way, but again having to create two games is not something we want to do. We just hope that people will play it right-handed.

It's not THAT big of a deal to see him right handed but it still has that feeling of being tampered with in the wrong way. And what about left handed people? Wouldn't the rest of the game be perfectly fine with a mirrored Link model? Whats the point in flipping the entire world? I really don't get it.

[quote name='javeryh']They could mirror the entire game like they did with TP[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they could, but the question is if they could have both in there at the same time or not. And if they could both act differently.

They'd also have to keep the item diagrams the same otherwise it'd look really stupid. I don't get why left-handed players just don't put the Wii Remote in their left hand.

On another note, I think they changed Zelda's release date on the spot during that press conference.

Link opens a door with his right hand. Mirror Link, and his left hand is reaching for the other side of the door. Then you have to mirror the door.

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't get why left-handed players just don't put the Wii Remote in their left hand.[/QUOTE]

Because it's even worse to try and control the character with the analog stick in my right hand. I tried this when the Wii came out and it just didn't work - I've been wired for 25 years to play games a certain way - stick on the left, buttons on the right. I am not precise at all with the pointer because I want it in my left hand but it's not that bad to get used to. The Wii kind of sucks for lefties but I manage.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Link opens a door with his right hand. Mirror Link, and his left hand is reaching for the other side of the door. Then you have to mirror the door.[/QUOTE]

Right - we are talking about mirroring the GAME, not just the Link character model. Everything - maps, doors, etc. would all be flipped. THis is what was done in Twilight Princess.

I played through Metroid Prime 3 once on Normal with the Wiimote and I had no problems :S

Interesting note about Zelda: The E3 build of the game had the IR turned off. So, it was entirely Wii Motion Plus.

Color me unimpressed. I think the dragonquest games on the ds look better and I am sure that this won't be as awesome as Mario Galaxy 2 is. I would rather play metal gear rising with real motion controls over this anyday. I'm a zelda fan but i don't see me playing this game ever because it just doesnt look very good or fun for that matter. I am sure its a little fun but it can't possibly compete with the other titles that i will be playing.

You sound like a viral marketer for MS, who knows which one will be better until they come out? MGS looks good but how the hell do you run?

I look forward to any Zelda game that is released. However, is anyone here with me on this one? Isn't high time Nintendo go in a different direction with the series on the console in terms of style, and graphics. I am yearning for a Zelda game with next-gen graphics like Gears of War, or God of War. I have been playing Zelda since the inception of the series (gold cartridge) and I have literally grown up with the series. Although I would never turn down an opportunity to play a new Zelda game, I still would like to see the series take another turn. Think about how badass that would be, knowing the Zelda lore and all and to bring it to life in a more adult style would be awesome. Come on Nintendo!

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']I know it's canon and all, but can you really play Zelda if Link is left-handed and you're not? I think there must be a left-handed option (if you're left-handed), so if you're a purist you can play it that way. ;)[/QUOTE]

My roommate at the time Zelda came out was a lefty, and he played with the Wiimote in his left and the nunchuk in his right. I don't ever recall him making complaints.

This game will most likely come out good... but if they called it "Lastas the Elf" and you play as Las trying to save princess Ballsack. Then they showed the gameplay demonstration that they showed at Nintendos conference. Everyone would totally overlook it or call it crap. But, that just shows people have faith in Nintendo's quality and it is destined to be good.

I honestly can't remember the last core title Nintendo released that was bad, let alone Zelda.

People aren't looking at on the floor demos and are instead only looking at the Miyamoto showcase to make their decisions. It was obvious that there was some kind of interference during the Nintendo Press Conference, and it became obvious when Epic Mickey was showcased.

I don't know anyone's opinion on a Zelda timeline, but I thought I'd point out that in Twilight Princess when Link reverts back to a human for the first time, he's wearing the green tunic which Ordona says is the tunic of the "ancient hero." It must refer to the Link of The Skyward Sword since Nintendo has said it takes place before Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess occurs in the split timeline where Link didn't defeat Ganondorf.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']This game will most likely come out good... but if they called it "Lastas the Elf" and you play as Las trying to save princess Ballsack. Then they showed the gameplay demonstration that they showed at Nintendos conference. Everyone would totally overlook it or call it crap. But, that just shows people have faith in Nintendo's quality and it is destined to be good.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to one of the worst arguments ever made toward Zelda. And also one of the most unoriginal.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']This game will most likely come out good... but if they called it "Lastas the Elf" and you play as Las trying to save princess Ballsack. Then they showed the gameplay demonstration that they showed at Nintendos conference. Everyone would totally overlook it or call it crap. But, that just shows people have faith in Nintendo's quality and it is destined to be good.[/QUOTE]

Your argument is fallacious. The only reason that people don't overlook it is because they've played past Zelda games. I'm sure this game is going to be good. Though, it doesn't look much different than any other Zelda game. So, hopefully, the progression of the game is different. Not just "Beat 3 temples, somethings happens in middle of the game, beat 4 more temples, boss of the game."

[quote name='Strell']Welcome to one of the worst arguments ever made toward Zelda. And also one of the most unoriginal.[/QUOTE]
Generally speaking the argument does not stand true. Because all Zelda games are great games regardless of content.

The demo shown (and the one I played) however was rough, bland and artistically uninspiring. People stating this Zelda will be the greatest thing ever are hopefully talking in general broad strokes and not referencing the demo.

Not saying the game will be bad, just that the demo was. And if it was called anything else it would have been way over looked.

I don't even know what I'm doing here.

Clearly

[quote name='icedrake523']I don't know anyone's opinion on a Zelda timeline, but I thought I'd point out that in Twilight Princess when Link reverts back to a human for the first time, he's wearing the green tunic which Ordona says is the tunic of the "ancient hero." It must refer to the Link of The Skyward Sword since Nintendo has said it takes place before Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess occurs in the split timeline where Link didn't defeat Ganondorf.[/QUOTE]

Ocarina of Time is the game they refer to in Twilight Princess. While Ocarina may have split the timeline, it is, as of now, the first game in the timeline. It started the mythos of the Hero of Time. We cannot accurately place where Skyward Sword is in the timeline until the game comes out.

[quote name='KingBroly']Clearly

Ocarina of Time is the game they refer to in Twilight Princess. While Ocarina may have split the timeline, it is, as of now, the first game in the timeline. It started the mythos of the Hero of Time. We cannot accurately place where Skyward Sword is in the timeline until the game comes out.[/QUOTE]

Skyward Sword is the game where the master sword is first created right? If so, it should be the first in the timeline.

[quote name='Strell']Welcome to one of the worst arguments ever made toward Zelda. And also one of the most unoriginal.[/QUOTE]

Zelda's an RPG!!!

I thought the entire presentation of Zelda (trailer and demo) was meant to show off the Motion+ and what you can do (whip, bow, slingshot, sword combat). It was less about the storyline and characters.

I'm sure they'll release more plot-related tidbits as it gets closer to release.

[quote name='ananag112']Skyward Sword is the game where the master sword is first created right? If so, it should be the first in the timeline.[/QUOTE]

I may be wrong, as it has been a while, but I don't believe there was any mention of the Master Sword in Minish Cap. Not sure though.

Wait, so there's a Zelda timeline? I always thought all of the Zeldas were just individual games and kind of sort of related in terms of themes.

[quote name='javeryh']Wait, so there's a Zelda timeline? I always thought all of the Zeldas were just individual games and kind of sort of related in terms of themes.[/QUOTE]

There's a few Zeldas titles that are obviously directly related (Ocarina of Time > Majora's Mask, Wind Waker > Phantom Hourglass) but for some reason some people like to come up with some sort of ill-conceived notion of a timeline.

[quote name='KingBroly']Ocarina of Time is the game they refer to in Twilight Princess. While Ocarina may have split the timeline, it is, as of now, the first game in the timeline. It started the mythos of the Hero of Time. We cannot accurately place where Skyward Sword is in the timeline until the game comes out.[/QUOTE]

They said it takes place before Ocarina of Time (link contains spoilers)

[quote name='Kaoz']I may be wrong, as it has been a while, but I don't believe there was any mention of the Master Sword in Minish Cap. Not sure though.[/QUOTE]

The sword used in Minish Cap was the Picori Sword which becomes the Four Sword in Four Swords (came on the LttP GBA cart) and Four Swords Adventure (GC).

[quote name='BlueLobstah']There's a few Zeldas titles that are obviously directly related (Ocarina of Time > Majora's Mask, Wind Waker > Phantom Hourglass) but for some reason some people like to come up with some sort of ill-conceived notion of a timeline.[/QUOTE]

It's not ill-conceived. I like it because it makes the games feel part of a grand epic instead of just separate stories.

I don't want to hijack this thread and get into it anymore. I buy into it and I personally don't know enough off hand to convince you. There are other games that are connected.

[quote name='icedrake523']They said it takes place before Ocarina of Time (link contains spoilers)

The sword used in Minish Cap was the Picori Sword which becomes the Four Sword in Four Swords (came on the LttP GBA cart) and Four Swords Adventure (GC).

It's not ill-conceived. I like it because it makes the games feel part of a grand epic instead of just separate stories.

I don't want to hijack this thread and get into it anymore. I buy into it and I personally don't know enough off hand to convince you. There are other games that are connected.[/QUOTE]

There has only been ONE "Hero of Time" in the Zelda series. That is the Link from Ocarina of Time. That is the Link other games refer to as "The Legendary Hero". So unless they want to screw with EVERYTHING, he won't be called Hero of Time.

[quote name='icedrake523']It's not ill-conceived. I like it because it makes the games feel part of a grand epic instead of just separate stories.[/QUOTE]

But it is. There's little connecting many of the games aside from general Zelda lore; even with the games that have a implied direct connection. We know going from Ocarina of Time to Majora's mask is the same Link, but there's no real added benefit from that and that's the point I'm trying to convey. A timeline of where each Legend of Zelda game falls provides little to no benefit because the series has never been about the story.

bread's done
Back