http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Ypun3bi9M

Platform: Wii™
Launch Date: October 3, 2010
ESRB: E
Game Type: Party
Players: 1-4
Developer: Nd CUBE CO., Ltd.

General Information:

Most video games require players to focus their attention on a screen. Now Nintendo brings the action into the living room with Wii Party, a game that changes the way people interact with other players. Featuring 13 different party game modes and 70+ minigames, Wii Party can be enjoyed by everyone in the family, regardless of age.

FEATURES:

• Some of the 13 different party game modes take the fun out of the TV and into the living room. Players have to interact with one another in the real world to get the results they want in the game. Some House Party games include:

-Players place four Wii Remote™ controllers on a table. Each one emits a different animal noise. Players win the round by being the first to grab the controller that is making the sound of the animal shown on the TV.

- Players use Wii Remote controllers to play hide and go seek. One player asks the other players to leave the room and then hides all of the controllers around the living room. When the other players return, they have to find them.

• Wii Party features Mii™ characters in minigames in which up to four people can play together. Each player uses only the Wii Remote controller. Some of the party game modes are cooperative, such as “Balance Boat.” Others are competitive, such as “Board Game Island.”

• In Board Game Island mode, players help their Mii characters compete in more than 70 different minigames:

- Mii characters ride a rollercoaster while players try to shoot down floating balloons containing gifts.

- Players use their Wii Remote controllers to help Mii characters navigate a virtual game of tag.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was surprised that Reggie was all, "We have a game that will merge the properties of space, time, and all matter, which will bring harmony to the young and old -- and it's Wii Party."

:wall:

I feel, when this game is presented, that nobody is feeling anything for it. Maybe this game is super fun, and I'm not going to just toss it aside, but you can't tell from Reggae's face. It's like he's reading from cue cards. OK, he *is* reading from cue cards, but sometimes it's more front and center then others. Or maybe I'm just reading his face based on how I'm feeling about what's being presented. I think, when it comes down to it, that Mario characters are a lot more appealing in a game like this then Mii's. I like Mii's, but somehow it just seems boring with them in it. I feel the same way about "Avatar" games on the 360. It looks boring, and it looks like the Avatars don't even belong in the game. Mii's are fine, even fun, when they make cameos, like in Mario Kart, but when they are front and center in a game? Maybe it's not such a great idea.

EDIT: of course I say that, but have absolutely no issues with Mii's in Wii Sports Resort. In fact they're great there. So probably I'm just full of it. :)

[quote name='crunchewy'] I think, when it comes down to it, that Mario characters are a lot more appealing in a game like this then Mii's. I like Mii's, but somehow it just seems boring with them in it. I feel the same way about "Avatar" games on the 360. It looks boring, and it looks like the Avatars don't even belong in the game. Mii's are fine, even fun, when they make cameos, like in Mario Kart, but when they are front and center in a game? Maybe it's not such a great idea.[/QUOTE]

After finally getting a 360 and having my Avatar, then recently seeing PS3 Avatars for the first time, Miis look like garbage to me now.

I like Mii's they remind me of little wooden block puppets/figures. Don't count those PS3 Home characters as avatar, they don't represent your profile like the other two systems. I couldn't get mine to not look like anything but a caucasian male. I guess that is why I like caricatures better if your not going to get that photorealistic look (might as well just use a profile picture). I erased that mess after a couple days.

Mii's I believe are the best avatars, haven't really seen PS3's avatars. Unless you mean the Playstation Home people? Xbox 360 has cool avatars as well, but they are not as awesome as Mii's.

We'll see how this game does and I'm hoping for at least a hundredish mini-games.

[quote name='utopianmachine']After finally getting a 360 and having my Avatar, then recently seeing PS3 Avatars for the first time, Miis look like garbage to me now.[/QUOTE]

I'm the opposite. I don't care for 360 Avatars. I like the cartoonish look of Mii's much better. I do like, however, how you can outfit your Avatar with stuff you unlock in games. Of course the idea of paying for Avatar stuff is outrageous. I wish you could unlock clothing and props for Mii's too. That is a cool thing.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']Mii's I believe are the best avatars, haven't really seen PS3's avatars. Unless you mean the Playstation Home people? Xbox 360 has cool avatars as well, but they are not as awesome as Mii's.

We'll see how this game does and I'm hoping for at least a hundredish mini-games.[/QUOTE]

Saying Miis are the best avatars is like saying lung cancer is the best cancer.

This looks like a terrible, terrible version of Mario Party, and since Mario Party hasn't been good since the N64 (it was probably never good, but I'm /nostalgia right now), I couldn't care less.

Sad to say that this looks pretty terrible. Hopefully they just happened to showcase the weaker games or it's a budget priced title with some incentive pack-in like another Motion+.

I was hopeful when they announced Wii Party. A streamlined, easier, better Mario Party. Some mindless fun like Wii Play - overall, a waste, but still playable.o

Not even close, Nintendo.

[quote name='Got_Wii']What exactly do you mean by "budget" ?

I converted 4800 yen to U.S. dollars and its approximately $53.xx[/QUOTE]

I am not sure, but I think most Wii games are in the 5,800 yen to 6,800 yen price range. I think most DS games are priced at 4800 yen. So maybe when it comes out in the US, the game will be around $30-$40 while the bundle will be $50-$60 or so.

I've really enjoyed the "wii" line of games so far (sports, resort, even play isn't too bad since it's essentially $10), but yeah, I just don't know if stuff like remote hide and seek is all that appealing (and I imagine it actually might lead to lost remotes with kids hiding them god only knows where).

[quote name='doodofdoods']Makes sense to turn Mario Party into Wii Party instead. Should be a huge seller.[/QUOTE]
Yep, it's a smart move. Now they've got their plain vanilla "party" title in WP and their Mario-themed "party" game in Mario Kart Wii.

The Quick Look on Giantbomb made it look like shovelware. Worse looking than I expected. I didn't see the Mini Game Island gameplay though.

Seems to be more of a Wii Music than a Wii Sports.

[quote name='crunchewy']Nintendo Power gave it a 7.5 for whatever that's worth. Or some score close to that.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like a reliable source.

The GI review calls it "Mario Party but worse". Mario Party is not known for quality. Stick with Guilty Party.

Played this for a bit and I am not impressed at all. This is coming from someone who got Mario Party 6 and 7 on day 1.

Pro: All the mini games are unlock from the start. This is pretty cool since there is always that one or two games you always missed when playing Mario Party.

Con: Everything. I tried one of the game mode where you spin a wheel to get coins. Basically everyone keep spinning until you hit one of the mini game spot. I got bored after 2 turns. The other is like some kind of bingo but not much better. Definitely a lot less interesting than board setup from Mario Party. Now supposedly there is a game board mode that I haven't tried so maybe thats a little better. Seems like you are better off just picking the mini games you want to play. I hope this fails so they can bring back Mario Party

[quote name='Doomed']Sounds like a reliable source.

The GI review calls it "Mario Party but worse". Mario Party is not known for quality. Stick with Guilty Party.[/QUOTE]

Game Informer is a "reliable source"? GI is about as suspect a source as you can get. Having said that, it's doubtful I'll ever get this game, unless it goes on clearance. :)

[quote name='crunchewy']Game Informer is a "reliable source"? GI is about as suspect a source as you can get. Having said that, it's doubtful I'll ever get this game, unless it goes on clearance. :)[/QUOTE]

I'm not a mind reader, but I think Doomed was attempting to call into question the objectivity of a Nintendo Power review of a Nintendo game.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems this game was indeed directed to purely casual gamers (like your game inept parents). This was pretty much expected.

Tried it as a rental from Blockbuster, since I have a monthly pass. It truly is a poor man's Mario Party without any personality. They could've easily sold this as a download game that included just the mini-games. The presentation is a complete snore and too many of the mini-games rely on pure luck/Ai interference to win.

$15.00 or bust, and only if you have kids...otherwise $5.00 at best.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']I'm not a mind reader, but I think Doomed was attempting to call into question the objectivity of a Nintendo Power review of a Nintendo game.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree. Incidentally, who produces Nintendo Power? Is that done by Nintendo or some unrelated 3rd party? I've wondered that.

[quote name='crunchewy']I don't disagree. Incidentally, who produces Nintendo Power? Is that done by Nintendo or some unrelated 3rd party? I've wondered that.[/QUOTE]
Nintendo used to publish it, now Future US publishes it.

I've seen their reviews to be much better than GI, although that's not really saying much.

bread's done
Back