E3 Swag: What did you get and where?

batman1939

Banned
I did not get a lot of swag on the first day of e3 so I just want to know what you got, where you got it, and what did you have to do for it? I'll start:

(1) Transformer: War for Cybertron Lanyard
At IGN booth next to food court
Ask for one

(2) PS3 Lanyard
At Sony booth (4532) on media desk
Just took one

(3) Sonic Colors small plush alien
At Sega booth, Sonic Colors game for Wii
Played game

(4) Lego Harry Potter key chain and Lego People
Warner Bros. booth (2401)
Key chain was being passed out and you make your own Lego People

(5) Sims 3 key chain
EA booth (1601) on desk
Just took one

(6) Small plush Harvest Moon horse
At Natsume booth (823)
Played a game and ask for one

(7) Company of Heroes Online Beta code
THQ booth (2001)
Handed out

(8) Virgin t-shirt
Outside of south hall
Give e-mail address

(9) $20 off eastore.ea.com (min $40)
EA booth (1601) on desk
Just took one
Fine Print: In-stock only, good for a game 30 days after launch, expires 06/22

[quote name='dmdragon']Why would you want to advertise this, I mean WE know that everyone at E3 is, but really, why advertise it? :D[/QUOTE]

lol that had me laughing so hard i almost cried!!!!:applause: Kinda sounds like something that would be on a bathroom stall lol

I got the mandatory E3 Zelda swag this year at the Nintendo booth. You must line up and play the new Zelda Wii game.

1276847365.jpg

WANT. TO. GO. SO. BAD.
one year.. *sigh* ^^;

did anyone get the gears shirt.
" i*gears logo* LA" ?

I got lots of t-shirts - Mafia II, Bulletstorm, APB, Arcania, Game Streamer, Video Game Voters Network.

Tons of reusable cloth shopping bags - the most practical one that I'd probably actually use is the black Battlestar Galactica ones.

Some miscellaneous keychains, pens, and trinkets like the Atari sunscreen lanyard, the Afterglow LED ice cubes, EA notebook, Cyber Clean cleaning thing, and a Lucha Libre mask.

Enough energy drinks to keep me sufficiently wired throughout the 3 days from NOS, Target, and Venom. And free "Burgerstorm" burgers from EA and granola bars from Target to keep me from having to buy any overpriced food from the convention center.

More magazines then I should have lugged around.

But I think my favorite swag was the Space Invaders USB Flash Drive Bracelets from the Exspect booth.

After going to SDCC last year... as fun as it was, attempting to do anything at these big conventions is a bitch and a half. It's not worth it.

God damn, I want to go. How exactly do you get in? I know you have to be a member of the press, but does that mean I can just write a blog or something or do I have to do more?

[quote name='darkslime']God damn, I want to go. How exactly do you get in? I know you have to be a member of the press, but does that mean I can just write a blog or something or do I have to do more?[/QUOTE]

This'll disqualify you instantly: you have to be 18.

You can go if you are a member of the press or game industry. It also used to be possible to get a student pass if you were studying a relevant field, there was a lot of paperwork you college had to fill out for that, though.

I had a chance to go in 2003, but I was only 16 so I had to turn the tickets down. My brother got to go, though; however, he was stupid and did not pick up any swag beyond a few magazines.

[quote name='darkslime']God damn, I want to go. How exactly do you get in? I know you have to be a member of the press, but does that mean I can just write a blog or something or do I have to do more?[/QUOTE]

You need to have some legitimate credentials, which is decided by the E3 people, you can't just start writing a blog and expect to get in. It used to be the case up until 6 or 7 years ago that simply working in the industry was enough to qualify you, so if you worked at EB or Gamestop or whatever, you could apply and get in, but they put a stop to that and only top preforming management and employees get to go.

Before they made it invitation only a few years back, from what I heard, getting in wasn't that difficult, all you had to do is show up, and even if you didn't have a pass, a lot of people were able to sneak in pretty easily. That was actually one of the reasons it became invitation only, because there were far too many people attending that by all rights, had no legitimate business being there, whether they had a pass or not. Since returning to the more open format however, I'm not too sure how strict they are with access.

[quote name='spmahn']You need to have some legitimate credentials, which is decided by the E3 people, you can't just start writing a blog and expect to get in. It used to be the case up until 6 or 7 years ago that simply working in the industry was enough to qualify you, so if you worked at EB or Gamestop or whatever, you could apply and get in, but they put a stop to that and only top preforming management and employees get to go.
[/QUOTE]

I think if you have a pay stub from a legitimate game company you can get in regardless of the position you hold in your company. I don't think it is limited to top management, I can tell you why they are the ones you see there, though: everyone else is probably busy crunching on the E3 demo up until the event starts. I worked for about 4 months in QA at Epic Games and I started shortly after the E3 where Gears 2 was revealed. The other testers let me know I was lucky that I didn't have to work on the E3 demo as they were working 16 hour days trying to get that thing ready.

Regardless, I think anyone from a legitimate company with a shipped title can attend E3 as long as they have verification.

EDIT:

Just checked the E3 site and it seems like you can still go if you are a full-time student studying game development. It doesn't specifically say that, but it can be inferred. I know it was always possible in the past, so it is probably still possible.

[quote name='Doomstink']I think if you have a pay stub from a legitimate game company you can get in regardless of the position you hold in your company. I don't think it is limited to top management, I can tell you why they are the ones you see there, though: everyone else is probably busy crunching on the E3 demo up until the event starts. I worked for about 4 months in QA at Epic Games and I started shortly after the E3 where Gears 2 was revealed. The other testers let me know I was lucky that I didn't have to work on the E3 demo as they were working 16 hour days trying to get that thing ready.

Regardless, I think anyone from a legitimate company with a shipped title can attend E3 as long as they have verification.

EDIT:

Just checked the E3 site and it seems like you can still go if you are a full-time student studying game development. It doesn't specifically say that, but it can be inferred. I know it was always possible in the past, so it is probably still possible.[/QUOTE]

Game developers and designers and their employees can absolutely get in, but none of the retail stores allow their employees to go anymore. It's not an E3 policy, it's a legitimate policy that Gamestop, Best Buy, etc. all have which prohibits employees from attending E3 unless they get permission from the company to do so.

[quote name='spmahn']Game developers and designers and their employees can absolutely get in, but none of the retail stores allow their employees to go anymore. It's not an E3 policy, it's a legitimate policy that Gamestop, Best Buy, etc. all have which prohibits employees from attending E3 unless they get permission from the company to do so.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I misread your post, sorry.

[quote name='Doomstink']
EDIT:

Just checked the E3 site and it seems like you can still go if you are a full-time student studying game development. It doesn't specifically say that, but it can be inferred. I know it was always possible in the past, so it is probably still possible.[/QUOTE]

:bomb:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I could have possibly gone the past 2 years! I wonder if I would need a teachers recommendation...

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']:bomb:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I could have possibly gone the past 2 years! I wonder if I would need a teachers recommendation...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they used to require a transcript of courses, a letter from a teacher (of a related course), and a letter from the dean or your college (which you would have to get your teacher to get).

Only reason I had a chance to go in the past was because industry folk could get extra tickets for family and friends. My brother in law's brother was able to get 4 extra tickets, but I was too young at the time.

Now I think I can go by myself, as I've been credited on a major game title and I'm a student in computer science with a concentration on game development (I've got one semester left to earn my bachelor's). I may try to go to E3 next year, but that'd only happen if I don't go to GDC again (which I enjoyed about as much as I'd enjoy E3).

The great thing about E3 and GDC is that if you pick up enough swag, you can easily pay for your trip by putting the excess on eBay. I paid for my hotel, flight, and pass to GDC by selling Dead Rising 2 Zombrex stuff that I got for free from their booth. ;)

bread's done
Back