Xbox 360 Hard Drive Data Transfer Cable shipping out today, June 16th

Sharkey1337

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Just noticed Gamestop has the transfer cable up on their site right now for preorder, shipping out today for $20. Perfect for you peeps looking to upgrade to the 'slim' 360 this week. Best if you have any of those $10 off coupons, total price comes to $13.93 after tax and shipping (SAVER doesn't work with just the one cable by itself).

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/productDetails.aspx?sku=800353

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait... I thought the 360 S includes some sort of built in capability to transfer info from one 360 to another?

If not, can't we just buy one of these and pass it around? Seems kinda pointless to waste $20 on something you'll only use once.

Why is MS charging for this now? Just to gouge people purposely? They used to give them away and ship free before.

The software itself is built into the system but you still need this cable to do a one to one transfer. Otherwise you are using usb to transfer all your stuff over. I didn't think you could usb everything so I don't know how well that would work.

[quote name='Vinny']Wait... I thought the 360 S includes some sort of built in capability to transfer info from one 360 to another?

If not, can't we just buy one of these and pass it around? Seems kinda pointless to waste $20 on something you'll only use once.[/QUOTE]

The built in capability can be done with a USB drive but only 16 GB at a time.

[quote name='tyrok3k']The built in capability can be done with a USB drive but only 16 GB at a time.[/QUOTE]

if i don't have music of videos, only my profile, some XBLA titles and some save games, i assume it would all fit into a USB drive right?

could i split my XBLA titles into a second USB drive?

[quote name='basis']if i don't have music of videos, only my profile, some XBLA titles and some save games, i assume it would all fit into a USB drive right?

could i split my XBLA titles into a second USB drive?[/QUOTE]
You could use two or you could transfer half, wipe it, and then transfer the other half.

I used a usb drive to transfer all of my stuff from a 20 GB to a 120 GB hard drive a few months ago. It works, it's just a pain in the ass.

Why dont you just transfer game saves, then just re-download your XBLA titles, all this could be done using a small flash drive?

Wait!! So if I have about 60GB of data being used up out of 120 (lots of DLC and XBLA), I could do 4 separate incremental data transfers with a 16GB USB and save it over to my new Slim or PC as long as the USB gets reformatted after each transfer? This may be a pain, but it saves me from buying this cable.

Also, if I do end up doing this, do I still need to call MS for licensing on this new system even if I do my own data transfer of everything?

I hope that's just the cable and the software is a download. I have the cable already so whenever I get the new system it would be nice to just plug it in and done. Last time I checked the download history list was a mess. I have A LOT of crap so it would be a nightmare to go through, if they fixed it then cool.

I wouldn't trust the cable either. I transferred from my 20 to a 60 and it corrupted all the saves. Really pisses me off ever time the past is brought up in mass effect 2 and the history is different, like the council not being saved. Really is ruining my enjoyment of a good game

I simply used a cheapy usb stick, which I slip my microSD into. Take like 10 seconds to save to the card, and 10 seconds to move to the new drive.

I've had plenty of issues with Mass Effect 2 saves giving me headaches. It's mostly because of that Cerberus network and all that jazz.

Forgive if this is a stupid question, but if you transfer over the XBLA titles to a new system...do you have to go to the xbox webpage and do the license transfer as well???

[quote name='mooch81']Forgive if this is a stupid question, but if you transfer over the XBLA titles to a new system...do you have to go to the xbox webpage and do the license transfer as well???[/QUOTE]

I second this question as a need to know as far as XBLA and DLC is concerned?

Please answer for us.

You can just redownload, but you must be on xbox live and logged on to your account to play the game.

Transferring licenses makes it so you can play the games without being logged onto live, but you can only do it once a year.

There are some save files that you can't COPY (such as Mass Effect 2 and the Rock Band games), but you can MOVE them to the other storage instead. Just be careful with your USB stick, as it now has the only copy of your save file, instead of just having a second copy to backup your hard drive.

[quote name='Fighterspledge']You can just redownload, but you must be on xbox live and logged on to your account to play the game.

Transferring licenses makes it so you can play the games without being logged onto live, but you can only do it once a year.[/QUOTE]

Thank you kind CAG as you really helped me out here. Pardon my ignorance, but as far as licensing is concerned, when I call MS what information do I have to provide them with? Is it like the Wii where I need to have my serial numbers for both systems as that is console specific or what do I provide them with proof of my user account and the upgrade from the Elite to Slim and register my new system with them? Thanks!

actually i had a question about saving on usb. i know you have to format the drive first and set off a certain amount of space towards saving xbox info on, but can you also change it back to normal later? i have a 8gb usb i use for work/school, and i could just empty it onto my pc, and then make 2 transfers, but only if i could then use the whole drive for non xbox data again.

so if i've done the licence transfer this year because of a broken xbox, i can't get a slim and do the transfer again for another year.... great, guess no slim :p

[quote name='hollowfreak']Dealextreme.com has these much cheaper ... I'd post a link but there's tons of them, dif colors and such.

Here's the link to just xbox stuff in general, there's a few on the first page.

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.608[/QUOTE]
Not the official cable, this one requires your pc and your pc's hard drive space. YMMV on these. The package looks almost like the real deal until you look at the picture with the disc and it says Xport 360 which is the software someone designed to backup 360 hard drives to the PC.

The official transfer cable uses the 360 console to transfer the files from one hard drive to the other.

Get them from BB. They have a return policy and basically, you can buy, use it and return it. Doubt you'll ever need to use it again for a while. Working at a game studio, we do this all the time.

Kinda related, but I recently purchased a 60gb hdd live bundle from Best Buy. I haven't installed the HDD or used the 3 month live card but I tore open the packaging. (I still have all the packaging, haven't thrown it away). Can I return this to Best Buy and get my money back. I think I would rather sell my 20 gig console gig to gamestop and use the money I paid toward the hdd for a 250 gb 360 slim.

[quote name='ParadoxSeven']so if i've done the licence transfer this year because of a broken xbox, i can't get a slim and do the transfer again for another year.... great, guess no slim :p[/QUOTE]

I think you could probably talk to ms, tell them the situation and most likely they'd let you do it. It's not like you intended to have a rrod. It's just to stop a bozo from hoping to a new box every week. Though, worse case scenario, if they do deny you, you could still re-download it the new xbox and everything would be fine as long as it's connected to the internet. Which is kinda lame, but then after a year, just do the transfer then. As far as I know, there have been plenty of people who have had more than one rrod in a year, I'm sure they were able to do the transfer as many times as they needed. So there is a way.

[quote name='ParadoxSeven']so if i've done the licence transfer this year because of a broken xbox, i can't get a slim and do the transfer again for another year.... great, guess no slim :p[/QUOTE]It depends on how the broken 360 was dealt with. If you sent into MS for repair and they replaced your 360 with another unit, then yes, you can do another transfer. MS is supposed to do the transfer for you as part of the repair process and it doesn't count towards the once a year restriction.

If your 360 died and you replaced it with another 360, then no, you can't do another transfer until your year's time is up.

Used to be a form to fill out on MS site and fax to them to obtain one of these for free. Guess that's no longer the case. For those who wants to transfer on the cheap with USB sticks and thinking you can copy everything over, be aware that some game saves can not be copied as they are locked. A couple examples come to mind are Dead or Alive 4, Forza 2, and handful of others. The ONLY way to transfer those from one hard drive to another is via transfer cable.

no one answered my question form earlier so i'll ask again- if you format a usb drive to save 360 data on, can you then...unformat it so the whole drive space can be used for non 360 information?

[quote name='shrike4242']It depends on how the broken 360 was dealt with. If you sent into MS for repair and they replaced your 360 with another unit, then yes, you can do another transfer. MS is supposed to do the transfer for you as part of the repair process and it doesn't count towards the once a year restriction.

If your 360 died and you replaced it with another 360, then no, you can't do another transfer until your year's time is up.[/QUOTE]

Another version to this is that if you had to get another xbox as part of a in store warranty swap (ie Gamestop or Best Buy) then call MS and they will have you fax a copy of the transaction receipt. They can reset the transfer this way.

I had to do this just before the year was up and they were pretty cool about it.

what if you have a registered xbox360, do the transfer and then sell it, can the person re-register it so it's no longer associated with my account??

When I upgraded from 20GB to 60GB, I just re-downloaded my map packs through my "purchase history" instead of messing with a Chinese made cable.

Now with the USB flash drive capability, transferring game saves is easier than ever.

The reason the transfer cables were popular last year was to mod COD World at War and also the MW2 10th Prestige glitch. That stuff is pretty dicey, because you can get banned from LIVE.

good thing i've had this forever now lol, they use to make us buy it off ebay for modding and stuff. got mine for 4 dollars from hong kong. amazingly i got it the day after

[quote name='polo14player']what if you have a registered xbox360, do the transfer and then sell it, can the person re-register it so it's no longer associated with my account??[/QUOTE]

If you DL something with your Gamertag, it can always be downloaded to another console and played (so long as you're signed into LIVE with that Gamertag).

This get's into one of the few loopholes of Xbox LIVE. The first console that a map pack is downloaded on lets all accounts use the map pack on LIVE (forever). Then if you re-DL it on your own personal console, where it can be used while your Gamertag is signed in.

Boom! B1G1 map packs!

You have to plan ahead, and have a friend with a console who wants that first (free) download.

[quote name='vashnlol']good thing i've had this forever now lol, they use to make us buy it off ebay for modding and stuff. got mine for 4 dollars from hong kong. amazingly i got it the day after[/QUOTE]

Man why would you support the Chinese eBay sellers? Don't you realize the long term ramifications for every dollar sent over there?

So you're a real communist sympathizer.

anyone wanna start a group to buy this and share? Kinda like you pay to ship it to another person and see how far it goes before someones a jackass and keeps it?

Id be interested in buying if someone wants to do that.

[quote name='Steggy']anyone wanna start a group to buy this and share? Kinda like you pay to ship it to another person and see how far it goes before someones a jackass and keeps it?

Id be interested in buying if someone wants to do that.[/QUOTE]

I'm very interested in this. Count me in as first in line if you do this.

[quote name='Poor2More']according to Major Nelson on the Xbox dashboard video, the transfer kit comes in the new slim 360's[/QUOTE]

If you're talking about the "upgrade your hard drive" video, then no. He says the transfer kit comes with stand-alone 250 gb drives. Nothing I have read indicates the transfer kit comes with the slim

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vinny']Wait... I thought the 360 S includes some sort of built in capability to transfer info from one 360 to another?

If not, can't we just buy one of these and pass it around? Seems kinda pointless to waste $20 on something you'll only use once.[/QUOTE]

Like Vinny, I heard this as well.

Unless I'm mistaken, Brad Shoemaker via one of the recent Giant Bomb E3 podcasts said specifically that the Slim wouldn't need the transfer cable.

[quote name='dchrisd']If you're talking about the "upgrade your hard drive" video, then no. He says the transfer kit comes with stand-alone 250 gb drives. Nothing I have read indicates the transfer kit comes with the slim[/QUOTE]

Transfer kit doesn't come with the slim from anything I have seen or read either.

Be ready to shell out $20 for the kit, lol.

[quote name='Robman62']im pretty sure the license transfer is twice a year[/QUOTE]

License transfer is literally ONCE a year.

[quote name='Steggy']anyone wanna start a group to buy this and share? Kinda like you pay to ship it to another person and see how far it goes before someones a jackass and keeps it?

Id be interested in buying if someone wants to do that.[/QUOTE]

I literally just got mine in the mail today. (Bought the Splinter Cell 250gig system 3 weeks ago....:roll:) Ah well........ watcha gonna do. My house is completely cabled with Cat5e network drops throughout so I wasn't going to use the built in wifi adapter anyhow, but I think I would have opted for the new system regardless.

I don't know what kind of arrangement peeps had in mind, but I don't mind passing it along if everyone comes to some sort of agreement on swearing to pass it along as soon as people use it.

bread's done
Back