The Official I have the Xbox 250GB" Internal HDD-Built in Wifi N and impressions.

intoxicated662

CAGiversary!
Feedback
219 (99%)
The Official I have the Xbox 250GB" Internal HDD-Built in Wifi N and impressions. So since I hadn't seen a thread like this I decided to start one. Post your thoughts, feedback and all that good stuff so people can get more clarification and can lean towards a Yes or No if they should purchase one or not.

I'll start...I traded in my 360 arcade+120gb hd+wifi adapter and a few other accessories and am glad I did. The 360 slim comes Kinect ready and for me I download alot of items from the xbl marketplace so getting a little more than double the hd space was worth it as well. Also, getting 3 usb ports in the back and 2 more in the front helps me out too. I also love how the wireless adapter (wifi) is built in as well. I love the look of it and it is very quiet and barely makes any sound when playing a game off the disc. It does heat up a little bit but nothing major to worry about. Share your thoughts/feedback..

Do you know if the new console take any hard drive, or do you still have to purchase a proprietary drive if you want to upgrade?

[quote name='cirodot']Do you know if the new console take any hard drive, or do you still have to purchase a proprietary drive if you want to upgrade?[/QUOTE]

They have a new proprietary hard drive. So you can't use your current 20, 60, 120 or 250GB HDD with it.

Are there any indications that you can possibly unscrew/pry open the hard drive casing? I doubt it, but if it is possible it opens up so many possibilities for expansions, unless MS fucks us over again and using proprietary connectors in that casing!

[quote name='ITDEFX']Are there any indications that you can possibly unscrew/pry open the hard drive casing? I doubt it, but if it is possible it opens up so many possibilities for expansions, unless MS fucks us over again and using proprietary connectors in that casing![/QUOTE]

This is actually what I was wondering, I should have phrased my original post a little better. I knew that the original 360 hard drives wouldn't work, but I'm curious as to whether I can just buy a 500gb 2.5" hard drive and put it into the new casing.

I saw a vid on Kotaku (maybe destructoid) the other day where dude popped out the HD. Its a totally different configuration. (Smaller , Looked more like a big battery pack sliding out)

I'm surprised nobody's cracked it open yet and posted pics or a video ATN. I'm really interested in seeing whats going on inside there.

Question: Wheres the majority of heat generating from? Same area as OG 360?(under the disc tray)

I cannot answer about the 250gb hd as I will not mess with it at all. I still have the 30 day warranty and am debating on whether to get warranty or not. Anyways, i'll post pics later on.

[quote name='intoxicated662']I cannot answer about the 250gb hd as I will not mess with it at all. I still have the 30 day warranty and am debating on whether to get warranty or not. Anyways, i'll post pics later on.[/QUOTE]

I don't think anything is going to happen with your warranty if you take out the hard drive.. We just want to know if there are any seams or screws incasing the actual drive. The casing looks too glossy in video and pictures and not many people are focused on the hard drive.

If you don't want to check, no worries, I will wait for ben heck to check out the inners when he takes the new system apart!

[quote name='ITDEFX']I don't think anything is going to happen with your warranty if you take out the hard drive.. We just want to know if there are any seams or screws incasing the actual drive. The casing looks too glossy in video and pictures and not many people are focused on the hard drive.

If you don't want to check, no worries, I will wait for ben heck to check out the inners when he takes the new system apart![/QUOTE]

Ben's a day late and a dollar short

Solo Mods Teardown
http://solomods.com/2010250gb.html

Anandtech
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3772/the-xbox-360-slim-valhalla-dissection-galleries-up

[quote name='cirodot']This is actually what I was wondering, I should have phrased my original post a little better. I knew that the original 360 hard drives wouldn't work, but I'm curious as to whether I can just buy a 500gb 2.5" hard drive and put it into the new casing.[/QUOTE]

Why would you risk getting your brand new Xbox's console id banned for that?

Do you guys think this is worth the purchase? I already have a 360 with a Wireless N Adapter and a 250 GB hard drive. With trade ins, I think I will end up spending around $50 (Probably GS credit, though) to upgrade. It doesn't seem much smaller..or much of an upgrade from a technical standpoint. The biggest plus is the Kinect port, and I am not sure if I care.

Yet I still find myself wanting one of these.

How hot does your get at the side vent? Poker360 said his gets burning hot, just when transferring with the transfer cable. That's discouraging, but I wonder if his is just defective?

Ok I have a question that might seem odd...does the new 360 come with an HDMI cable? The link provided from the Solo Mods site said it only came with an A/V cable? I hope that's not right. If so, I am not giving GS my HDMI cable. fuck that noise. Can anyone with one of the new 360s on hand put my fears to rest?

No HDMI cable.

And no you can NOT slip your own HDD into the new 360. Its the same deal with the last ones. Proprietary devices from MS only

[quote name='jimjom']LOL, the internal wifi connector is just a regular usb n adapter plugged into an internal usb connection.[/QUOTE]

Uh...seriously? Are there pics of this?

[quote name='crunchewy']How hot does your get at the side vent? Poker360 said his gets burning hot, just when transferring with the transfer cable. That's discouraging, but I wonder if his is just defective?[/QUOTE]

I'm curious about this, too. I really don't know if it's a huge problem, though, as systems these days just seem to get hot. I still remember the first time I played my slim PS3 and then went to take the hdmi cable out... it was the 'ok, no, there's got to be something wrong' kind of hot. I thought I burnt myself for a second.

Apparently, though, it's normal. I'm hoping that the 360 is the same.

You know, normal. Not hot. Though, if hot is normal, then...

You know what I mean. :lol:

[quote name='slickkill77']No HDMI cable.

And no you can NOT slip your own HDD into the new 360. Its the same deal with the last ones. Proprietary devices from MS only[/QUOTE]

Well that's not cool. My current Elite came with one so I'm not understanding why MS is being cheap about all of this. Just give me an HDMI cable!

Because retailers want to sell you an HDMI cable and by including it on the box they lose a potential sale (at a nice profit).

Yea at least HDMI cables are cheap online.

"Only the standard A/V component cables come with the system (the same cables that come with the current model), so the HDMI cable is still separate."

[quote name='ninja dog']what does "kinect ready" mean and why is that a distinguishing feature?[/QUOTE]
Kinect needs an external power supply with the old 360. The new 360 has (I think) a proprietary connector for Kinect so it doesn't need the external power.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Kinect needs an external power supply with the old 360. The new 360 has (I think) a proprietary connector for Kinect so it doesn't need the external power.[/QUOTE]

interesting. just when i thought there was nothing else to make me hate kinect more

[quote name='joshthegreat69']Do you guys think this is worth the purchase? I already have a 360 with a Wireless N Adapter and a 250 GB hard drive. With trade ins, I think I will end up spending around $50 (Probably GS credit, though) to upgrade. It doesn't seem much smaller..or much of an upgrade from a technical standpoint. The biggest plus is the Kinect port, and I am not sure if I care.

Yet I still find myself wanting one of these.[/QUOTE]

Yes and No. No, because you have just about the same stuff that the new one features except yours is not Kinect ready so you'll have to get (maybe even Buy) that extra doggle or whatever it uses to connect to the older 360's. Yes it's worth it because it's Kinect ready, more usb ports, quieter, looks better, has everything built in so no more connected stuff taking up space or anything else and.. ::drum roll:: Your older memory unit/cards, hard drives and some other items will not be compatible in the future so you have to decide if you want to keep them or not. I'm sure alot of people will be getting a new 360 by the fall but i'd bail out right now while I could if I were you and cut my losses short and just get something while you can. Later on when you try to sell/trade in ya 360 console, hard drive, memory card and other items you won't get nearly as much or even get much period for them. With the gamestop promotion going on right now, it might not seem like alot but it does ease the price and bring it down a bit which is why I traded in my 360 arcade, wireless adapter, 120gb hd and memory card. If I didn't it would just sit there taking up space and they are already losing value quick just check your local craigslist you'll see. Don't forget, you can always buy warranty too.

[quote name='cirodot']This is actually what I was wondering, I should have phrased my original post a little better. I knew that the original 360 hard drives wouldn't work, but I'm curious as to whether I can just buy a 500gb 2.5" hard drive and put it into the new casing.[/QUOTE]
Possible banning aside (I've yet to see evidence of it, but I suppose it's possible) flashing an unofficial drive requires firmware from an official drive of the same size. Until MS releases a larger hdd there's no pointing in worrying about it.

Sorry if this has all been covered before, I just picked one up..

- The controllers are ALL black now, including the underside.
- The guide button is shiny instead of a dull gray.
- The old transfer cables DO work on the slim 360's, you don't need to buy a slim transfer kit if you already have one (I didn't think the old ones would work).
- It makes a beep when you turn the system on and a ding when you open the tray. I don't mind the power sound, but I really hope that I can disable the ding when I open the tray.

It's about the size of the slim PS3, maybe a tiny bit smaller. It's nice, I like it a lot so far.

For someone that has it... that vent on the (horizontal) top, how long is it?

I'm asking because I've generally kept my Dreamcast on top of my 360, but I don't want to put it over a vent on the new one. How much 'solid' space on top of a new 360?

[quote name='007']For someone that has it... that vent on the (horizontal) top, how long is it?

I'm asking because I've generally kept my Dreamcast on top of my 360, but I don't want to put it over a vent on the new one. How much 'solid' space on top of a new 360?[/QUOTE]

I'd say about 1/4th of the top or so. However, I would strongly advise against putting anything on top of it. It puts out a fair amount of heat and seems to be the only true heat venting source to me.

In any case, add me to the list of first adopters of the 360 S. I got the last one at my GS today and they were going quick. The all black controller and headset look awesome. The system itself is quite sexy. It's definitely quieter too. I'm transferring content from my old hdd and I can't hear a thing.

I can post pics once I'm done transferring stuff too. It looks pretty damn slick! Also, it's blowing all of the heat right onto my PS3 lol. I'll have to switch their positions to knock that off haha!

I think we should start a pool as to when this thing will have a green ring of death or what ever it will do that is the same as the rrod. I say about 10 months from now. Should all just put money into it and give it to Cheapy, Wombat or Ship. That way next year at e3 they can walk up to the guy giving Microsofts press conference and slap them in the face. Then they can yell out "Do what we all want you to do and just fix the fucking thing for fuck sake!" However what we put in need to be enough to pay all fines and bail.

Ok that last part was just a joke but would be funny to see.

I think people getting excited about the "new" 360 is funny. It is the same 360 as before...still does the same thing. I think it is silly that people are spending more money on something they already have.

Just my 2 cents.

I am still using my non-hdmi 360.

[quote name='sendme']I think we should start a pool as to when this thing will have a green ring of death or what ever it will do that is the same as the rrod. I say about 10 months from now. Should all just put money into it and give it to Cheapy, Wombat or Ship. That way next year at e3 they can walk up to the guy giving Microsofts press conference and slap them in the face. Then they can yell out "Do what we all want you to do and just fix the fucking thing for fuck sake!" However what we put in need to be enough to pay all fines and bail.

Ok that last part was just a joke but would be funny to see.[/QUOTE]

oh god, grow up already. someone has to be hating and bashing already. stop trolling and if you don't like it just click the X in the top right corner of the page and don't reply. simple as that. no need to even bring up past issues as we are in the present day. if people start having problems with their new 360 slims it'll be all over the web and then we can start assuming but until then just keep quiet and stop being an annoyance and disturbance.

[quote name='Morphx2']I think people getting excited about the "new" 360 is funny. It is the same 360 as before...still does the same thing. I think it is silly that people are spending more money on something they already have.

Just my 2 cents.

I am still using my non-hdmi 360.[/QUOTE]

You don't even have HDMI, enough said there. as for the rest, people are taking advantage of the promotion @ gamestop so it is a bit cheaper. also, try selling your 360 on craigslist locally and see how much you can get for it now. another thing, think down the line in the future. how much will you get later on if you try to sell it with the stuff you have for it? you'll probably regret not getting rid of it while you can and also mad at yourself for not getting in on the deal early while you could have and spend less. The 360's are not the same otherwise it would of been no point of doing. This one is quieter, smoother, has built in wifi adapter, built in 250gb hd, more usb ports, touch sensor for eject and power on and has more extras. I don't see how people think they are the same when they're not. Do they do the same thing as before as in play games, dvds and such? Sure, yes. But there are other differences as I stated that make them stand out so this is like an upgrade and not everyone has a 360 yet so people who are new to buying a 360 will see the slim as a great deal.

I picked one up at gamestop today. I'm keeping my old one as a backup, just wanted one with a warranty/it looks kickass awesome. Now if only I could bring it in the house without the wife noticing a new xbox...

[quote name='Morphx2']I think people getting excited about the "new" 360 is funny. It is the same 360 as before...still does the same thing. I think it is silly that people are spending more money on something they already have.

Just my 2 cents.

I am still using my non-hdmi 360.[/QUOTE]

The reason I upgraded was fairly easy.. I wanted more space. With the trade-in promo, I got the new 360 for cheaper than the cost of buying the separate hard drive. It also pulls less power and is built with better parts so it's less likely to defect than yours is.

Also, for those using the transfer cable, the cable does not transfer game install data (Which is nice, actually), and it does not transfer original XBox DLC.

So far I love it.

The top vent gets pretty hot, but nothing alarming. The side vents are cool. Someone around here posted the whole system gets really hot if you put it vertical.

Really quiet when playing a game of the disc.

[quote name='intoxicated662']oh god, grow up already. someone has to be hating and bashing already. stop trolling and if you don't like it just click the X in the top right corner of the page and don't reply. simple as that. no need to even bring up past issues as we are in the present day. if people start having problems with their new 360 slims it'll be all over the web and then we can start assuming but until then just keep quiet and stop being an annoyance and disturbance.[/QUOTE]

Odd that I'm trolling when the 360 forums are the ones that I am on the most. I have owned now 2 and will buy the slim when my current one is no longer under the 3 years for the rrod when it dies. I just want microsoft to stop making bull shit products and fix the issue they have. I think if they were to fix the issue for good and come out and say they fixed it and starting on what ever date they will ship the new system that no longer gets the rrod it would sell more. I think the money spent on the slim and kinext should have went into the R&D on a rrod free 360 and not by taking out the red leds. Hell I play my 360 more than my PS3, Wii and even PC games.

I dont need HDMI. Looks fine on my display.

Why would I want to sell my 360 now or ever? It still works.

I dont see where I have to sell a 360 with my things...if i ever wanted to sell my things I can do it seperately.

That touch sensor and ejector is awesome..I wish my old 360 can power on and eject :p

If you didnt have a wifi adapter or a 250 gb drive and NEED it, then it would make sense for trading yours in, but for the people who already have those things and just want to spend $ for a 360 that does the same things as before, I just think it is silly.

[quote name='intoxicated662']You don't even have HDMI, enough said there. as for the rest, people are taking advantage of the promotion @ gamestop so it is a bit cheaper. also, try selling your 360 on craigslist locally and see how much you can get for it now. another thing, think down the line in the future. how much will you get later on if you try to sell it with the stuff you have for it? you'll probably regret not getting rid of it while you can and also mad at yourself for not getting in on the deal early while you could have and spend less. The 360's are not the same otherwise it would of been no point of doing. This one is quieter, smoother, has built in wifi adapter, built in 250gb hd, more usb ports, touch sensor for eject and power on and has more extras. I don't see how people think they are the same when they're not. Do they do the same thing as before as in play games, dvds and such? Sure, yes. But there are other differences as I stated that make them stand out so this is like an upgrade and not everyone has a 360 yet so people who are new to buying a 360 will see the slim as a great deal.[/QUOTE]

That is a good reason, good job :)

[quote name='Scorch']The reason I upgraded was fairly easy.. I wanted more space. With the trade-in promo, I got the new 360 for cheaper than the cost of buying the separate hard drive. It also pulls less power and is built with better parts so it's less likely to defect than yours is.

Also, for those using the transfer cable, the cable does not transfer game install data (Which is nice, actually), and it does not transfer original XBox DLC.[/QUOTE]

I like the look of the console, but really would have liked to see it a bit smaller. Nothing will ever do what the PS2 slim did when it came to size though (well the GBA micro).

My only real two issues with "upgrading" (which I decided not to do) are that I would loose my xbox1 DLC that can no longer be downloaded. And the lack of Memory Card ports. The old 360 technically had 4 ports in the front for storage, now we only have 2.

bread's done
Back