- - - - -

Books that changed your life.

#31 ravenanwo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   10 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

ravenanwo

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:28 AM

The Game by Neil Strauss.... Totally changed me into a semi Charismatic and happy person. Learning how to interact with and pick up girls was just a bonus.

#32 GhostShark   The Drunken Whaler CAGiversary!   3143 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

GhostShark

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:38 AM

I got a couple books.

The Lost World by Michael Crighton - This was the very fist novel I read of my own free will when I was still in elementary school. Pretty much got me into reading.

Robot Dreams by Isaac Asimov - It's a collection of short stories that I did for my junior theme in high school. Amazing stuff. Pretty groundbreaking for Sci-Fi in my opinion

The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Silmarillion by Tolkien - Amazing fantasy books. This is how fantasy books should be done. With history and backstory books. I'd love to write fantasy books (and I currently am) due party to these great books.

The New Avengers by Brian Michael Bendis - Comics should be mention with novels IMO. The New Avengers is what got me into comics back when it came out. Great stuff that everyone should read.

#33 cindersphere   Running on no sleep CAGiversary!   1618 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

cindersphere

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:51 PM

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. Great book, bad movie. Also All the Kings Men.

#34 JoeJohn   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   726 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:56 AM

bump

#35 gregthomas77   Custom User Title CAGiversary!   1984 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

gregthomas77

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

OK, I'll be the one to say it.

The Bible

It has changed all of our lives, whether you like that change or not.

Also, the Zombie Survival Guide. I now own a lot more machetes and crowbars.

#36 Capitalizt   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1085 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:02 PM

OK, I'll be the one to say it.

The Bible

It has changed all of our lives, whether you like that change or not.

Also, the Zombie Survival Guide. I now own a lot more machetes and crowbars.

Indeed...Everyone should be aware of zombies, and I would like to remind everyone to AIM FOR THE HEAD. Let us not forget the story of the Roman centurion who forgot this most important of rules. His gut-shot blunder during the small zombie outbreak in Jerusalem around 30 CE led to millions more deaths throughout the centuries that followed. If you don't AIM FOR THE HEAD, your zombie may go on to found a major religion, and we already have more than enough of those.

#37 Lord_Kefka   Son of a Submariner! CAGiversary!   2422 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:13 PM

I second Calvin & Hobbes. Also, I'm starting the Brave New World better represents us than 1984 argument. Go on, converse among yourselves.

I'm going to have to come back to this after I mull over the books. I'm trying to pinpoint the ones which really changed my viewpoints on life.

#38 dannyox718   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   425 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:38 PM

Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics- Bruce R. Munson, Donald F. Young, Theodore H. Okiishi, and Wade W. Huebsch
Computational Fluid Dynamics: The Basics with Applications- John D. Anderson Jr.
Rocket Propulsion Elements- George P. Sutton and Oscar Biblarz
Fundamentals of Astrodynamics- Roger R. Bate, Donald D. Mueller, and Jerry E. White
Introduction to Space Dynamics- William Tyrrell Thomson

Dude, you're bringing back some bad memories... just stop ;)

But seriously, someone beat me to it, but the most transformative book in my life? The Bible

#39 dannyox718   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   425 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:42 PM

Indeed...Everyone should be aware of zombies, and I would like to remind everyone to AIM FOR THE HEAD. Let us not forget the story of the Roman centurion who forgot this most important of rules. His gut-shot blunder during the small zombie outbreak in Jerusalem around 30 CE led to millions more deaths throughout the centuries that followed. If you don't AIM FOR THE HEAD, your zombie may go on to found a major religion, and we already have more than enough of those.

cool story, bro. oh an don't forget the part where the following infected generations build hospitals, create the university system, and care for billions of poor and needy. :applause:

#40 SithFran   Baweep granaweep ninibong CAGiversary!   1076 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:12 PM

Getting off the religion debate and back on topic.

I hated reading as a kid until I started reading Uncanny X-Men comics and the Robotech novels (never saw the show until after reading the books). After leaving film school because of disillusionment, a friend recommended Rich Dad, Poor Dad and it gave a light that led me to having two small businesses today.

#41 Bug42   Do You Have a Towel? CAGiversary!   191 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:19 PM

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

#42 mozby   Cheap Cheapass CAGiversary!   809 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:48 PM

Happiness Is a Serious Problem: A Human Nature Repair Manual

#43 Nirvanaguy777   Last Son of South Brooklyn CAGiversary!   6537 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Nirvanaguy777

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:03 PM

So much.

Animal Farm
A Hero ain't Nothing But a Sandwich
The Giver
Night
Fight Club
Vurt

to name a few.
These titles stand out in my mind.

#44 Nirvanaguy777   Last Son of South Brooklyn CAGiversary!   6537 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Nirvanaguy777

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:04 PM

I got a couple books.

The Lost World by Michael Crighton - This was the very fist novel I read of my own free will when I was still in elementary school. Pretty much got me into reading.

Robot Dreams by Isaac Asimov - It's a collection of short stories that I did for my junior theme in high school. Amazing stuff. Pretty groundbreaking for Sci-Fi in my opinion

The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Silmarillion by Tolkien - Amazing fantasy books. This is how fantasy books should be done. With history and backstory books. I'd love to write fantasy books (and I currently am) due party to these great books.

The New Avengers by Brian Michael Bendis - Comics should be mention with novels IMO. The New Avengers is what got me into comics back when it came out. Great stuff that everyone should read.

New Avengers got me back into comics as well.

#45 berzirk   I'm not so serious CAGiversary!   2509 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:13 PM

Autobiography of Malcolm X, which then led to reading the Qur'an.

#46 thirdrose   MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH CAGiversary!   252 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:23 AM

Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom. It certainly taught me a few things about acceptance.

#47 DrRockenstein   Games, games never change CAGiversary!   2405 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

DrRockenstein

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:25 AM

The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy
A Song for Nero by Tom Holt

#48 JoeJohn   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   726 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:08 PM

bump.

#49 ajumbaje   West Coast born East Coast raised CAGiversary!   1429 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:15 AM

Bible, nuff said

#50 Energy Penguin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   101 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Energy Penguin

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:13 AM

I don't know about changing my life, but I went through a real Kerouac tear a couple of years ago, read all his books. I just sat in the woods and meditated and read, it was peaceful and I feel like a came to some self-realizations that have impacted me to this day for sure.

#51 Cyrem   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   1 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:38 AM

Bible, nuff said

+1, It's a manual on how to be a Human and if followed correctly, makes life easier and happier.

#52 SneakyPenguin   Agent of SHIELD CAGiversary!   16948 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

SneakyPenguin

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:37 AM

The Bible

It has changed all of our lives

I have to argue against that. If someone's never read it, it hasn't changed their life. If it caused some change before their life (which I'll admit it has), that still hasn't changed someone's life, it's changed the circumstances leading to their life.

#53 Capitalizt   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1085 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:02 AM

Reading the bible is what converted me into an atheist. :) There is so much barbaric and mystical nonsense, I don't see how anyone can possibly believe it. Seriously folks.. I challenge you to read it WITHOUT the presupposition that it was written by the creator of the universe. Assume it is a regular book...Pick it up, close your eyes, open to a random page, and tell me if you think those words were written by the creator of 300 billion galaxies. Last time I tried this, I landed on the story of Balaam and his talking donkey..

Posted Image

#54 speedracer   Banned Banned   3735 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

speedracer

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:36 AM

One Dimensional Man - Herbert Marcuse

It's the book Ayn Rand disciples never quite graduate to.

#55 illinijet   Torque Obsessed Maniac CAGiversary!   747 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

illinijet

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:29 PM

Two books written by former Disney executives.

Creating Magic: 10 Commonsense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney - Lee Cockerell. It helps examine the best ways to motivate others around you to do their very best in service and looks at how problems area created through mis-communication.

Spinning Disney's World: Memories of a Magic Kingdom Press Agent - Charles Ridgway. He got a degree in Journalism (the same field I majored in) and has been present in some way for the opening of every Disney theme park from the 1955 opening day of Disneyland to the 2005 opening of Hong Kong Disneyland. It was this book that was able to show me what I could do with my degree that didn't necessarily involve getting a "traditional" job with a news organization. Not only are some of his stories hilarious, but it also emphasizes how important networking and providing a clear message are.

#56 Sporadic   done with this site CAGiversary!   9499 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:41 PM

Two books written by former Disney executives.

Creating Magic: 10 Commonsense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney - Lee Cockerell. It helps examine the best ways to motivate others around you to do their very best in service and looks at how problems area created through mis-communication.

Spinning Disney's World: Memories of a Magic Kingdom Press Agent - Charles Ridgway. He got a degree in Journalism (the same field I majored in) and has been present in some way for the opening of every Disney theme park from the 1955 opening day of Disneyland to the 2005 opening of Hong Kong Disneyland. It was this book that was able to show me what I could do with my degree that didn't necessarily involve getting a "traditional" job with a news organization. Not only are some of his stories hilarious, but it also emphasizes how important networking and providing a clear message are.

Ha, you ought to read DisneyWar by James B. Stewart

#57 illinijet   Torque Obsessed Maniac CAGiversary!   747 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

illinijet

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:29 AM

Ha, you ought to read DisneyWar by James B. Stewart

It's on my bookshelf. It was interesting to see how Michael Eisner started to lose it after the death of Frank Wells. I can't help but imagine the company would have been much different (in a good way) if Wells was still alive.

Also interesting to see how the relationship with Steven Spielberg, Jeff Katzenberg and the company destroyed itself.

#58 jngx80   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   952 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:46 AM

I never understood why people like that book. I thought Holden was a jackass - stubborn and pitiful.

Love a lot of John Steinbeck's stuff: Cannery Row (keeping life simple, being content with what you have), The Winter of Our Discontent (to never stoop to the levels of the characters in the book - cheat, betrayal), Grapes of Wrath (never finished the book and wasn't that interested in the main story but chapter 5 is kind of stuck in my head - "The bank is something more than men, I tell you. It's the monster. Men made it, but they can't control it.").

Les Miserables - I read this after watching the movie, but I love the tale of redemption. That we are capable of changing ourselves for the better.

#59 crunchb3rry   HODOR! CAGiversary!   5524 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

crunchb3rry

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:56 AM

^ You should read Hunchback of Notre Dame. It's just as good.

I'm probably going to get a copy of The Man Who Laughs if I can find one cheap. It would be nice to have a Kindle (or compatible device) because it's free on Amazon.

#60 Chase   imo CAGiversary!   7655 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:09 PM

Hamlet (Shakespeare), La Divina Commedia (Dante Alighieri), and Chicken Soup with Rice (Maurice Sendak).