Books that changed your life.

JoeJohn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
These two books changed my life in a positive way.

TNT: The Power Within You - Claude M. Bristol

The Magic of Believing - Claude M. Bristol

List some books that changed your life in a positive way so we can all benefit.

This book with numerous Henry Thoreau works and essays like Walden, Civil Disobedience, etc. I stole it from school when I was living in a shelter for boys and I'd read that every night to keep my mind sharp. Maniac Magee as a child, it didn't change me I guess but I had a connection with it, same with the Thoreau.

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. It completely changed my perspective on religion. I've been an Atheist forever, but that was the first book about it that I read, so it was kind of eye opening.

I honestly can't think of one.

Auto/Bio books always instilled that persistence and talent will pay off in the end even when things seem hopeless but besides that...

Cosmos by Carl Sagan. It taught me to love stars and marijuana.

"To make a pie by scratch, you must first invent the universe"

Some of Chuck Palahniuk's early books. Not in the sense that you imply but before I read his books I hated reading. Like in high school I hated reading the required reading and never read any of the summer reading (just the cliff notes). But after that I began reading more on my own because I actually enjoyed the books I can chose. This year I'm on book #41 of a goal of 100.

i wouldnt say any changed my life. but the first time i read hemingway's the sun also rises it lead to some meaningful self reflection.

atlas-shrugged-book-cover.jpg

Everyone Poops.

Up until I read that last year I thought I was the only one. Oh, how wrong I was. According to the cover even APPLES poop!

Catcher in the Rye made me realize I don't have to hate every book they make you read in high school. 1984 appeals to the cynic in me.. just started reading it again last night.

Not really sure they "changed" my life but they had an impact on the way I view things for sure. George Orwell's 1984, Cormac McCarthy's The Road, and Leaving Cheyenne by Larry McMurtry was also really moving.

- Jason

'The Fountainhead'- Ayn Rand.

It made me realize that Rand is full of shit.

"Lost Horizon" - James Hilton
"Hyperspace" -Michio Kaku. Really planted the idea that our universe could be much more than we see or know

Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics- Bruce R. Munson, Donald F. Young, Theodore H. Okiishi, and Wade W. Huebsch
Computational Fluid Dynamics: The Basics with Applications- John D. Anderson Jr.
Rocket Propulsion Elements- George P. Sutton and Oscar Biblarz
Fundamentals of Astrodynamics- Roger R. Bate, Donald D. Mueller, and Jerry E. White
Introduction to Space Dynamics- William Tyrrell Thomson

The Game by Neil Strauss.... Totally changed me into a semi Charismatic and happy person. Learning how to interact with and pick up girls was just a bonus.

I got a couple books.

The Lost World by Michael Crighton - This was the very fist novel I read of my own free will when I was still in elementary school. Pretty much got me into reading.

Robot Dreams by Isaac Asimov - It's a collection of short stories that I did for my junior theme in high school. Amazing stuff. Pretty groundbreaking for Sci-Fi in my opinion

The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Silmarillion by Tolkien - Amazing fantasy books. This is how fantasy books should be done. With history and backstory books. I'd love to write fantasy books (and I currently am) due party to these great books.

The New Avengers by Brian Michael Bendis - Comics should be mention with novels IMO. The New Avengers is what got me into comics back when it came out. Great stuff that everyone should read.

OK, I'll be the one to say it.

The Bible

It has changed all of our lives, whether you like that change or not.

Also, the Zombie Survival Guide. I now own a lot more machetes and crowbars.

[quote name='gregthomas77']OK, I'll be the one to say it.

The Bible

It has changed all of our lives, whether you like that change or not.

Also, the Zombie Survival Guide. I now own a lot more machetes and crowbars.[/QUOTE]

Indeed...Everyone should be aware of zombies, and I would like to remind everyone to AIM FOR THE HEAD. Let us not forget the story of the Roman centurion who forgot this most important of rules. His gut-shot blunder during the small zombie outbreak in Jerusalem around 30 CE led to millions more deaths throughout the centuries that followed. If you don't AIM FOR THE HEAD, your zombie may go on to found a major religion, and we already have more than enough of those.

I second Calvin & Hobbes. Also, I'm starting the Brave New World better represents us than 1984 argument. Go on, converse among yourselves.

I'm going to have to come back to this after I mull over the books. I'm trying to pinpoint the ones which really changed my viewpoints on life.

[quote name='ananag112']Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics- Bruce R. Munson, Donald F. Young, Theodore H. Okiishi, and Wade W. Huebsch
Computational Fluid Dynamics: The Basics with Applications- John D. Anderson Jr.
Rocket Propulsion Elements- George P. Sutton and Oscar Biblarz
Fundamentals of Astrodynamics- Roger R. Bate, Donald D. Mueller, and Jerry E. White
Introduction to Space Dynamics- William Tyrrell Thomson[/QUOTE]

Dude, you're bringing back some bad memories... just stop ;)

But seriously, someone beat me to it, but the most transformative book in my life? The Bible

[quote name='Capitalizt']Indeed...Everyone should be aware of zombies, and I would like to remind everyone to AIM FOR THE HEAD. Let us not forget the story of the Roman centurion who forgot this most important of rules. His gut-shot blunder during the small zombie outbreak in Jerusalem around 30 CE led to millions more deaths throughout the centuries that followed. If you don't AIM FOR THE HEAD, your zombie may go on to found a major religion, and we already have more than enough of those.[/QUOTE]

cool story, bro. oh an don't forget the part where the following infected generations build hospitals, create the university system, and care for billions of poor and needy. :applause:

Getting off the religion debate and back on topic.

I hated reading as a kid until I started reading Uncanny X-Men comics and the Robotech novels (never saw the show until after reading the books). After leaving film school because of disillusionment, a friend recommended Rich Dad, Poor Dad and it gave a light that led me to having two small businesses today.

So much.

Animal Farm
A Hero ain't Nothing But a Sandwich
The Giver
Night
Fight Club
Vurt

to name a few.
These titles stand out in my mind.

[quote name='GhostShark']I got a couple books.

The Lost World by Michael Crighton - This was the very fist novel I read of my own free will when I was still in elementary school. Pretty much got me into reading.

Robot Dreams by Isaac Asimov - It's a collection of short stories that I did for my junior theme in high school. Amazing stuff. Pretty groundbreaking for Sci-Fi in my opinion

The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Silmarillion by Tolkien - Amazing fantasy books. This is how fantasy books should be done. With history and backstory books. I'd love to write fantasy books (and I currently am) due party to these great books.

The New Avengers by Brian Michael Bendis - Comics should be mention with novels IMO. The New Avengers is what got me into comics back when it came out. Great stuff that everyone should read.[/QUOTE]

New Avengers got me back into comics as well.

bread's done
Back