Mass Effect 2 (360/PC) $26.99 - Dragon Age Origins (ps3/360/pc) $40/$30 - Amazon DotD

thanks OP; thought EA store would be the lowest for ME2

can anyone give me some rationalizing to pick up ME2 at this price? how long did it take ME1 to drop lower?

i'm trying to be super frugal but would appreciate someone to talk me out of my money

[quote name='exRounder']thanks OP; thought EA store would be the lowest for ME2

can anyone give me some rationalizing to pick up ME2 at this price? how long did it take ME1 to drop lower?

i'm trying to be super frugal but would appreciate someone to talk me out of my money[/QUOTE]

http://www.lightningdrops.com/product/B001TORSII

I don't see it going too much lower anytime soon.

[quote name='exRounder']thanks OP; thought EA store would be the lowest for ME2

i'm trying to be super frugal but would appreciate someone to talk me out of my money[/QUOTE]

Not exactly what you were requesting, but I will tell you it's the best game on the 360 thus far.

If not for the fact I have a copy for PC still unopened, I'd buy this. I guess the only thing keeping me from opening my copy is that I still haven't completed ME on PC.

Awesome deal for Mass Effect 2!
[quote name='Cheeseknight28']Not exactly what you were requesting, but I will tell you it's the best game on the 360 thus far.[/QUOTE]
Can't really disagree with this, although I might add the qualifier "exclusive" (personally I've probably wrung a bit more fun out of Borderlands, with ME2 a close second). In any case it's a truly stellar game, I paid around $40 for it and felt like a robber. I'm not normally one to play a game multiple times (too many games too little time) but I started a second ME2 playthrough immediately after my first, and I feel like I could play it over and over again, it just doesn't get old.

Somewhat less awesome deal for Dragon Age. It's a good game too though.

[quote name='basis']wonder if they'll ever release a GOTY or some Platinum version of DA:O & DA:A?[/QUOTE]

I'd be surprised if they didn't. I've been holding out as well, plus with putting a lot of hours into ME2 and Fallout 3 this spring/summer I'm pretty burnt out on RPGs, so I don't mind waiting.

If a GOTY doesn't comeout, I'll pick it up when DA:O is $20 or less next year.

If you don't mind used (though very likely to contain all the codes, unused), Gamefly has PS3 and 360 versions of Dragon Age for $19.99 until the end of the month. Nice if you have a $5 coupon or two that needs to be used. Or in my case, 5% off, and two $5 coupons = $8.99 shipped :D

It's a pretty good price, but I've yet to finish the original Mass Effect. I picked up the Platinum Hits ME1 for $9.99 at Target a while back and I'm hopeful ME2 will eventually do the same.

[quote name='coolz481']I may be mistaken, but I think I got Dragon Age on Amazon for $30 last November[/QUOTE]
Yep it was $35 on Black Friday. I gave that to my brother and bought it again when EA had that coupon. Was able to get it for $20 and just opened it the other day. What an incredible game. Can't believe I waited this long to play it.

ME 2 for Xbox 360 was $22.99 just few weeks ago in Amazon gold box deal. I beleive it will go down again for better deal somewhere in the next few weeks

[quote name='basis']wonder if they'll ever release a GOTY or some Platinum version of DA:O & DA:A?[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering that too. I guess I'm going to bite on both DA:O and DA:A for PC though :) Gots to support EA for not using activation this time.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Awesome deal for Mass Effect 2!

Can't really disagree with this, although I might add the qualifier "exclusive" (personally I've probably wrung a bit more fun out of Borderlands, with ME2 a close second). In any case it's a truly stellar game, I paid around $40 for it and felt like a robber. I'm not normally one to play a game multiple times (too many games too little time) but I started a second ME2 playthrough immediately after my first, and I feel like I could play it over and over again, it just doesn't get old.

Somewhat less awesome deal for Dragon Age. It's a good game too though.[/QUOTE]

So far I like Mass Effect 1 more...but considering Mass Effect 1 might be my third favorite game of all time, or at least in the top 10, that's not saying much :bouncy:

I've already bought a SECOND copy of Mass Effect 2. Playing it on Xbox 'cause my character is on Xbox, but I bought a PC version too that should be here soon :lol:

I picked up ME2 for $30 on a Lightning Deal 2 weeks ago and I have not been disappointed. The game is amazing and well-worth a $27 purchase. It has made me a fan of the series and I'll be a day-one adopter of ME3. My only complaint is based on the fact that I don't have an HDTV yet and I have to change my Xbox settings to widescreen every time I play it so that I can read the small text.

NEGATIVE OPINION
(flame shield on)

I'm borrowing it from a friend and I am having a tough time finishing it. It's a boring game to me. Hard to say what it's worth... that sounds like a fair price if you like that sort of game.

There's a lot of walking, a lot of chit chat, not too much fighting. You move slowly. You shoot slowly. You accomplish tasks slowly. It always feels like you're trodding along doing minimal damage to endless drones.

It tries to be a hybrid of a shooter and a PC rpg and it never quite nails either and if you didn't like the first one then this one is better but it won't blow you away. Because ultimately what you have is all the annoying things removed from the first one, but not too much changed in the second one.

This is a tempting offer, but I'm about to be billed $60 for Crackdown 2 on Amazon shortly. I'll come back and buy this game using my $10 credit that I receive with the order so I can get it for $30. Thanks anyway OP.

[quote name='fadersdream']NEGATIVE OPINION
(flame shield on)

I'm borrowing it from a friend and I am having a tough time finishing it. It's a boring game to me. Hard to say what it's worth... that sounds like a fair price if you like that sort of game.

There's a lot of walking, a lot of chit chat, not too much fighting. You move slowly. You shoot slowly. You accomplish tasks slowly. It always feels like you're trodding along doing minimal damage to endless drones.

It tries to be a hybrid of a shooter and a PC rpg and it never quite nails either and if you didn't like the first one then this one is better but it won't blow you away. Because ultimately what you have is all the annoying things removed from the first one, but not too much changed in the second one.[/QUOTE]

If you're not doing much damage just turn down the difficulty setting. It's not a shooter though, so if that's all you want, I can see not liking it.

[quote name='Wolfpup']If you're not doing much damage just turn down the difficulty setting. It's not a shooter though, so if that's all you want, I can see not liking it.[/QUOTE]

it's one of those games that if you don't like it you get cast in this "halo-newb" category and then you have to list your pedigree and prove you've been vetted as a real gamer. It is a hybrid, and if you want to argue that you can, but not to much avail.

Honestly none of the guns pack a real punch. You have to stack to get real results requiring upgraded guns, good aiming skills biotically amplified ammo and shield weakening biotics. At which point you still only do pretty good damage but are still waiting for recharge a good chunk of the time.

Spoilers
and the fact that you start with a team, lose your team, go find a new team and then finish the game without really much new story was kind of weak. I would feel like I didn't get my moneys worth at full price.

[quote name='fadersdream']it's one of those games that if you don't like it you get cast in this "halo-newb" category and then you have to list your pedigree and prove you've been vetted as a real gamer. It is a hybrid, and if you want to argue that you can, but not to much avail.

Honestly none of the guns pack a real punch. You have to stack to get real results requiring upgraded guns, good aiming skills biotically amplified ammo and shield weakening biotics. At which point you still only do pretty good damage but are still waiting for recharge a good chunk of the time.[/quote]

Well, like I said, dial down the difficulty and that shouldn't be an issue. And it's not a shooter. I mean it uses the mechanics, sort of, but I find the combat LESS satisfying than the first game, and if you go into it thinking you're going to be playing Gears of War you may be disapointed.

[quote name='fadersdream']it's one of those games that if you don't like it you get cast in this "halo-newb" category and then you have to list your pedigree and prove you've been vetted as a real gamer. It is a hybrid, and if you want to argue that you can, but not to much avail.

Honestly none of the guns pack a real punch. You have to stack to get real results requiring upgraded guns, good aiming skills biotically amplified ammo and shield weakening biotics. At which point you still only do pretty good damage but are still waiting for recharge a good chunk of the time.

Spoilers
and the fact that you start with a team, lose your team, go find a new team and then finish the game without really much new story was kind of weak. I would feel like I didn't get my moneys worth at full price.[/QUOTE]

Did you ever play any of your character's loyalty missions? They offer a lot of backstory..and I think gaining a new team was a good idea, you were allowed new characters instead of giving you a massive amount of people to choose from which would clutter the story.

Yeah, I'm not minding that part of it-kind of a shock, but it's organic to the story IMO.

I don't like the combat as well though (ammo...), or the lack of loot necessarily-though the first one needed a DRASTICALLY overhauled inventory system! It was like it wasn't finished. And don't like how it sort of feels less like an actual galaxy...possibly because you can't really land anywhere (and I understand why they did that, since in the first game there was very little variety except in the story missions, but still). The mining thing is getting annoying, since I suspect I already have all the material I need, yet feel like I need to drain every single planet I come to, adding hours to explore a given system...I don't know...

[quote name='i3uu']I just got mass effect 2 for $20 shipped at gohastings maybe a week ago[/QUOTE]
Did you actually receive it in the mail yet? I heard a lot of people who ordered ME2 from GoHastings on the same deal had their orders cancelled. You may want to check the status of your package.

Heads up for anyone looking at Dragon Age Origins for 360. Gamefly has it for $20 with free shipping as part of there june deals. It is used and open but the codes have not been used. I received mine last week and it came with the case, manual, and un-used codes for both the blood dragon armor and the stone prisoner dlc.

[quote name='Master Troll']Did you actually receive it in the mail yet? I heard a lot of people who ordered ME2 from GoHastings on the same deal had their orders cancelled. You may want to check the status of your package.[/QUOTE]

I would be one of those people. :cry: I've since sent them a very harsh email stating that I wouldn't be shopping there, and would be preventing any family/friends from shopping there again. Not a way to treat a 1st time customer.

I ended up getting this and ME1 for $25 after my RDR $20 credit. My friends have been pushing me to play, at this price I can't argue with them.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yeah, I'm not minding that part of it-kind of a shock, but it's organic to the story IMO.

I don't like the combat as well though (ammo...), or the lack of loot necessarily-though the first one needed a DRASTICALLY overhauled inventory system! It was like it wasn't finished. And don't like how it sort of feels less like an actual galaxy...possibly because you can't really land anywhere (and I understand why they did that, since in the first game there was very little variety except in the story missions, but still). The mining thing is getting annoying, since I suspect I already have all the material I need, yet feel like I need to drain every single planet I come to, adding hours to explore a given system...I don't know...[/QUOTE]
as a geophysicist the mining is pretty amusing since that is about all we do. Except by "probe" we mean dynamite.

and about the difficulty, I don't find it hard, I find it tedious. Gears of war is a good game but the fact that I think Mass Effect 2 is slow and plodding is not in comparison to FPS's. I'm critiquing it on it's own merit. Demons Souls ia a hybrid rpg/action game and it's plodding but great.

Merely a caution for the TP that though some fans are very into this game most of them are carry overs from the first one, and a lot of them were carry over from KotOR. If you've played a few RPG's or seen enough sci-fi you'll recognize all these characters.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']I would be one of those people. :cry: I've since sent them a very harsh email stating that I wouldn't be shopping there, and would be preventing any family/friends from shopping there again. Not a way to treat a 1st time customer.

I ended up getting this and ME1 for $25 after my RDR $20 credit. My friends have been pushing me to play, at this price I can't argue with them.[/QUOTE]
Yeah that sucks, I've bought from GoHastings 5 times in the last year and have never experienced something like that. In the end you got two games for five dollars more, so you still came out better shopping from Amazon.

[quote name='fadersdream']and about the difficulty, I don't find it hard, I find it tedious. Gears of war is a good game but the fact that I think Mass Effect 2 is slow and plodding is not in comparison to FPS's. I'm critiquing it on it's own merit. Demons Souls ia a hybrid rpg/action game and it's plodding but great.[/quote]

Well, I disagree of course-I don't like the combat as well as the first one, but I find it functional.

Merely a caution for the TP that though some fans are very into this game most of them are carry overs from the first one

Well yeah, you absolutely, positively should be playing the first one first. You COULD jumpt right into this one, but you're cheating yourself if you do that. I mean it's like watching Return of the Jedi first...you could, but...

If you've played a few RPG's or seen enough sci-fi you'll recognize all these characters.

RPGs, no, other fiction, maybe, but Mass Effect is still one of the absolute best written games there is, if not the best.

Yeah, I bought the PC version from...umm...Gogamer I think, for $24 or $25 (although a few dollars shipping, so it wasn't much less really).

EDIT: Bought the two Dragon Age products for PC from Amazon just today though.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Well, I disagree of course-I don't like the combat as well as the first one, but I find it functional.

Well yeah, you absolutely, positively should be playing the first one first. You COULD jumpt right into this one, but you're cheating yourself if you do that. I mean it's like watching Return of the Jedi first...you could, but...

RPGs, no, other fiction, maybe, but Mass Effect is still one of the absolute best written games there is, if not the best.[/QUOTE]
I second that statement 1000%.

I fell in for the temptation as well! I couldn't resist continuing the Mass Effect saga! Thanks again for the deal OP! Now time to 1000 the first ME!

bread's done
Back