Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

Tagged. I started Clannad today. Already it reminds me of Air, which seems like a great reason not to watch as I hated that show. So, I figure I'll ask you guys, is Clannad better than Air?

Has anyone seen Toradora? I really like the packaging that NISA came up with, and I'd like to support one of their first ventures into the anime world, but I don't know anything about it.

I know it's not really considered Anime, but I just bought Avatar: The Last Airbender Book 1, 2, and 3 off Amazon. They finally dropped to the mid 20 dollar spot I was waiting for.

So I've loved Soul Eater from the first episode. It's got some really great characters (Maka, Stein, Blackstar, Kid and Justin Law), but holy fuck is Crono annoying as hell. The only time he is mildy entertaining is when Ragnarok comes out. I love the second opening, too.

I need to get into some good anime before animeFEST in September. Shoot the recommendations away.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']So yeah here's a new thread. Fire at will.[/QUOTE]

The title you chose for the new thread is awful. Also, it reminds me of those dumbasses who use kawaii instead of cute when they're speaking English.

[quote name='lilman'](Death Note spoiler)
I felt mostly the same way. The series was great up through L dying, then after that it went downhill. I never got attached to Near or Mello... even combined they were poor character substitutes for L. At the end of the series Light had them beat, he should have won. One of the things I like about anime is that you are not guaranteed a happy ending like in Western stories, so I would have been ok with the "bad guy" winning. I wasn't too upset with the way Light fell apart at the end; given his personality he could have stayed calm and collected, but falling apart as he did shows that even with all the monstrous things he did he was still human with human weaknesses and flaws.

It was sad to see Misa commit suicide. I think the author didn't know what else to do with Misa at the end. She would have died soon anyway since she had given up half her life twice, and she was already living on borrowed time from her first shinigami. Seeing Light's dad die and his sister lose her mind was even sadder, but this wasn't supposed to be a happy story.

Overall I enjoyed the series. It would be interesting to see if Death Note would have been received differently had the series ended with L's death.
[/QUOTE]

Death Note spoilers:
Yeah, I thought it would of been interesting if Light won, and that's disregarding the fact that he had outsmarted Near, and I wasn't saying that I was upset that Light was being pathetic. I'm not sure how to phrase this, but I just didn't like watching Light behave in that manner; it was pathetic to the point of being incredibly annoying and unbelievable.

Anyway, you are forgetting that Misa had years added on to her lifespan when Rem killed Watari and L. The show never explains how much time was added to Misa's lifespan, but I would bet that it was a significant amount, so she wasn't just going to die soon anyway. She had plenty of time left ahead of her. It's a shame she wasted it by killing herself. I just really hate that she committed suicide. It's extremely grating.

I wasn't sad when Light's father died; I was pissed that he didn't kill Mello. He's a cop for crying out loud! The whole point of that operation was to get rid of Mello. You even made the Shinigami eyes deal! Why were you delaying Mello's death!? Ugh, if Mello died there like he should have, then Light would have won, but then again, the writer would of just made up some other bullshit so Near could win. Also, Sayu was such a throw away character in the second half that I didn't even care about her. They play up her kidnapping as something incredibly important, but once she's rescued, she disappeared like nothing ever happened.

Well, I wouldn't of ended up hating the show if it ended with L's death; I was having lukewarm feelings when L died. Shit really started going downhill when Yotsuba was introduced.

[quote name='Kimpz']I don't think it's right to write off Durarara!! like that, only 3/7 of the Light Novels were adapted when they were creating the anime. If the epilogue hints to a season two, I like to think this is just the beginning of something much more.[/QUOTE]

You are being way too forgiving; not to mention you can't guarantee that any of the other novels are any good. Why should I have to sit through 26 episodes of a show that fluctuates between terrible and indifferent, so that I can watch even more episodes that might be good? Would you keep reading a book if you didn't enjoy the first 300 pages? Durarara had plenty of time to become enjoyable; I gave them 11 hours of my time, and I didn't enjoy it. Why should I give them even more time then?

[quote name='the_punisher']Kida shockingly was one of the best characters of the show by the end. I REALLY pray for a season 2, the show was amazing and it definitely had an end, but it also left open enough plot lines for a season 2.[/QUOTE]

Wow, really? I thought Masaomi was one of the worst characters in the show; he's pathetic, moronic, and uninteresting. I couldn't stand watching him wallow and sulk because of his past, and he makes the stupidest decisions. His whole fight in the last episode was incredibly inconsistent as well; first he's pathetic, then he's a bad ass, and then he's pathetic again. No, the cool part about that fight was when Kadota revealed himself, and Shizuo swinging around a highway sign was great as well.

The show has an end, but the story doesn't end. The show ends the same way all of the other character-specific arcs end; and that doesn't provide any closure to the story, and it does not even begin to touch upon any of the mysteries surrounding Izaya. No, if you want an ending that provides closure, but leaves plenty open for a second season, then you need to watch When They Cry.

[quote name='Bezerker']I started Clannad today. Already it reminds me of Air, which seems like a great reason not to watch as I hated that show. So, I figure I'll ask you guys, is Clannad better than Air?[/QUOTE]

Clannad is better than Air, but Clannad and Air are quite similar, and since you just stated that you hated Air, you are probably going to hate Clannad as well.

[quote name='Bezerker']Tagged. I started Clannad today. Already it reminds me of Air, which seems like a great reason not to watch as I hated that show. So, I figure I'll ask you guys, is Clannad better than Air?[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering this too, before I buy the series now that it's dubbed (I heard you guys about the quality, buying it anyway). I sort-of liked Air, the last few episodes were great, and I thought Kanon overall was really good. I'm guessing this is more of the same, more "Key".

EDIT: Didn't see Razzuel's post.

Regarding Durarara!!, no. Just no. I disagree so much it's not worth going into. And I don't even see why people liked Shizuo as much as they did...

I thought the first half of Death Note was great, and the 2nd half as some of the worst shit I've ever seen.

So I've loved Soul Eater from the first episode. It's got some really great characters (Maka, Stein, Blackstar, Kid and Justin Law), but holy fuck is Crono annoying as hell. The only time he is mildy entertaining is when Ragnarok comes out. I love the second opening, too.

I need to get into some good anime before animeFEST in September. Shoot the recommendations away.

I just checked a Soul Eater trailer out and I think I'll take the dive, I haven't watched an action anime in years.

Which means I can only recommend you good slow animes: Ergo Proxy or Haibane Renmei

I've seen the first few episodes of Ergo Proxy and I loved it. Reminded a little bit of GitS, but I haven't gone back yet to finish it. That shall be my goal after Soul Eater.

[quote name='Bezerker']Tagged. I started Clannad today. Already it reminds me of Air, which seems like a great reason not to watch as I hated that show. So, I figure I'll ask you guys, is Clannad better than Air?[/QUOTE]

Clannad is FAR FAR superior to Air. I really have yet to find anyone who finished Clannad without crying.

That said, be warned that Clannad's ending is complete crap thanks to the director. It appears to be a deus ex machina ending, but there is a reason behind it. You'll just have to look it up once you finish.

Finished up the first season of Ah! My Goddess TV. I must say that I enjoyed the last two episodes, that focused on Urd and Skuld, more than the rest of the season.

Also ordered the first Toradora premium box off of Rightstuf along with the first Cardcaptor Sakura omnibus from Dark Horse to bump me up to free shipping. I already own the CCS manga (and anime), but having another version of the best thing ever couldn't hurt.

[quote name='Razzuel']The title you chose for the new thread is awful. Also, it reminds me of those dumbasses who use kawaii instead of cute when they're speaking English.
[/QUOTE]

If Raz doesn't like it, you know you're on to something. Also, Raz is obviously oblivious to the profound history of "za warudo".

So, what would you have chosen for the title?

[quote name='the_punisher']And I don't even see why people liked Shizuo as much as they did...[/QUOTE]

Let me guess: you don't understand why people like Vino from Baccano either?

[quote name='MDogg17']Clannad is FAR FAR superior to Air. I really have yet to find anyone who finished Clannad without crying.

That said, be warned that Clannad's ending is complete crap thanks to the director. It appears to be a deus ex machina ending, but there is a reason behind it. You'll just have to look it up once you finish.[/QUOTE]

You should of prefaced your post with a note saying you were referring to Clannad as Clannad and Clannad: After Story. They're two different shows, so I keep them separate. Also, I wouldn't pin the end of Clannad: After Story entirely on the director; the anime adaption of Clannad: After Story had a terrible ending because it had to stay faithful to the visual novel. However, everything that comes before the ending is phenomenal, so I'm able to disregard the ending.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']If Raz doesn't like it, you know you're on to something. Also, Raz is obviously oblivious to the profound history of "za warudo".

So, what would you have chosen for the title?[/QUOTE]

You are correct; I don't know anything about that phrase's history, but I don't care. Also, I wouldn't know what to choose for the title, though I do know I would of rather had something witty.

[quote name='Razzuel']You are correct; I don't know anything about that phrase's history, but I don't care. Also, I wouldn't know what to choose for the title, though I do know I would of rather had something witty.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I was being half sarcastic with the history comment, but it's rather famous in the anime world and it's from the 3rd story arc of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. It's the name of Dio's stand (a manifestation of psychic power, I guess you could say). The point is the the phrase garnered a massive meme standing years back due to the ridiculousness of the sound, so it is a bit witty in its own way, I guess, you just aren't in on the joke.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Eh, I was being half sarcastic with the history comment, but it's rather famous in the anime world and it's from the 3rd story arc of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. It's the name of Dio's stand (a manifestation of psychic power, I guess you could say). The point is the the phrase garnered a massive meme standing years back due to the ridiculousness of the sound, so it is a bit witty in its own way, I guess, you just aren't in on the joke.[/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks; I appreciate your explanation. I've only recently become an anime fan, so I'm not surprised that I'm not aware of a joke like this. Well, hopefully some of you other people find it amusing or at least tolerable. I just don't like it, and I can't shake the feeling that it reminds me of that damn kawaii shit.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Well, it doesn't really matter since the manga is ongoing so the anime doesn't have any real closure either. Although the series does stop at the end of a story arc. I've never watched the OAVs before though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know HxH is notorious for its hiatuses. I just wanna see what the hell is up with Greed Island.

[quote name='Razzuel']I can't shake the feeling that it reminds me of that damn kawaii shit.[/QUOTE]

"Za Warudo" = engrish pronunciation of "The World"

Yeah I'm an unabashed fan of Dio and the awesomeness of his stand. Tokio Tomere! is one of my fav phrases ever so I figured I'd let thread 3 be "A blood stain upon the snow" or whatever. SORRY YOU ARE SO DISAPPOINT AT MY OLD SCHOOL.

Anyway lots of content here to chime in on.

i too have just started avatar and i'm 6-7ish eps in. it has surprised me so far in small ways by being mature when the opportunity to be childish was there. some parts still smack of american cartoon design/concepts but i'm gradually enjoying myself more and more.

as i threw out in the other thread i found death note/code geass to both have their highs and lows and when they are on a high, they are amazing. they both feature the rare main character in an anime that isn't a super dumbass and still wins anyway.

HxH Greed Island was kind of disappointing after the awesomeness that came before it. It even ended on a cruddy cliffhanger. At one point I looked into the manga just to see if they ever answered the questions I had and they were on some stupid ant-fighting BS or whatever. That author can DIAF.

I tried getting into Ergo Proxy but honestly it just kind of meanders and doesn't explain much and I got tired of chasing a story that didn't seem to be there.

whew...i love the cag anime thread.

[quote name='Razzuel']Let me guess: you don't understand why people like Vino from Baccano either?[/QUOTE]

Actually, I can't think of one character from Baccano! that I didn't like.

In the end, I think that overall, Baccano! was a much better show than Durarara!!. However, the first half of Durarara!! was still amazing, and only started going slightly downhill towards the end. It was still a great show with a great set of characters, but Baccano! is just more tightly-packed, and never wandered. It knew exactly what it wanted to do with the story, and executed it very well.

Although now that I think about it, I kinda want to buy Baccano! now. I originally watched it online at ANN since the DVD's were $20 each.

[quote name='Indecisive Rattle']"Za Warudo" = engrish pronunciation of "The World"[/QUOTE]

I know; I was able to determine that much, and when I said "that damn kawaii shit," I was merely referring to the people that litter their English with Japanese words and phrases because they think it makes them look cool, and since there isn't a clear and concise word to describe those type of people, I was referring to them by their most prominent trait. I apologize for not making that entirely apparent.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Finished up the first season of Ah! My Goddess TV. I must say that I enjoyed the last two episodes, that focused on Urd and Skuld, more than the rest of the season.[/QUOTE]
Those last two episodes of season one are great! The second season of Ah! My Goddess TV has some very good episodes that focus on Skuld, but the ones for Urd aren't too enjoyable.

[quote name='Razzuel']there isn't a clear and concise word to describe those type of people,[/QUOTE]

Just go with "weeaboo"

[quote name='lilman']Those last two episodes of season one are great! The second season of Ah! My Goddess TV has some very good episodes that focus on Skuld, but the ones for Urd aren't too enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

Anyone else in the mood for soccer anime/manga? I always thought Oretachi no Field is a pretty underrated.

[quote name='Razzuel']I know; I was able to determine that much, and when I said "that damn kawaii shit," I was merely referring to the people that litter their English with Japanese words and phrases because they think it makes them look cool, and since there isn't a clear and concise word to describe those type of people, I was referring to them by their most prominent trait. I apologize for not making that entirely apparent.[/QUOTE]

For some reason, this comment makes me smile. Also yeah, like ChibiJosh said... just say Weeaboo.

I imagine there are phrases/words that are used in Japanese that originated as English, much like in other languages. Most of those aren't fully translated. Like how in some other languages, computer is still computer. On the same token, we have konichiwa (bitches)!

[quote name='Chronis']I imagine there are phrases/words that are used in Japanese that originated as English, much like in other languages. Most of those aren't fully translated. Like how in some other languages, computer is still computer. On the same token, we have konichiwa (bitches)![/QUOTE]

Yup.

[quote name='62t']Anyone else in the mood for soccer anime/manga? I always thought Oretachi no Field is a pretty underrated.[/QUOTE]

Giant Killing?

[quote name='62t']Anyone else in the mood for soccer anime/manga? I always thought Oretachi no Field is a pretty underrated.[/QUOTE]
Captain Tsubasa is probably the most famous one that I know of. I never got into sports anime/manga though. I think Slam Dunk is the only one that's managed to keep my attention.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I never got into sports anime/manga though. I think Slam Dunk is the only one that's managed to keep my attention.[/QUOTE]

Check out Cross Game, it's all kinds of great.

I wasn't expecting this: I paid for Fedex shipping when I ordered Nodame Cantabile because I wanted to make sure I had it in time for the weekend, but Play Asia shipped my order in the future through the future-past, so that it could arrive today. Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me either, but I should be thanking time zones, I guess.

I don't normally post in-progress impressions, but I thought I should this time. I finished watching the first disc of Nodame Cantabile — the first four episodes — and I am in love with the show. I'll spare you guys the nightmare I went through in obtaining some dual layer discs earlier this evening, but because of that ordeal, a part of me wanted Nodame Cantabile to make up for it, which is completely unfair, but the show is blowing me away so far.

The plot so far is simple, but the real magic is in the show's characters. All of the characters so far are wonderful, and the English dub is really well produced. If you're familiar with Geneon's English dubs, or any English dub produced in California for that matter, then you'll recognize some of the voices. They have really been doing an amazing job so far. Also, if anyone is interested, I watched about five minutes of the show with English subtitles, and the English subtitles seem perfect, so if you wanted to watch it in Japanese, then that's a completely viable option.

Actually, if I didn't tell you these DVDs were from Hong Kong, then you wouldn't even know it. Everything is in English, and the packaging is really awesome. The covers look great, and there's even art on the inside covers. Fantastic packaging. If anyone's interested, I took some pictures of the DVDs themselves, and I took some screen caps of the show.

Why the hell hasn't anyone licensed this for release here yet? It originally aired in 2007. What the hell is everyone waiting for? But I guess it doesn't really matter anymore, since Sony Pictures published this Hong Kong version. It's only 30 bucks too, which is another reason not to pass this up. Buy it, dammit.

Here's the Play Asia listing: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-8h-49-en-70-3u22-4-6.html]

And here's all the pictures I took. Enjoy!

Hong Kong... Super cheap... Are you sure this isn't a bootleg? I mean, I imagine play-asia doesn't sell bootlegs, but it's throwing off some warning signs. And, you have a region-free DVD player?

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Hong Kong... Super cheap... Are you sure this isn't a bootleg? And, you have a region-free DVD player?[/QUOTE]

No, this is a legit release by Sony Pictures International and Kodansha, and it's region 3. Also, Play Asia wouldn't sell bootlegs.

Nope, I don't have a region-free DVD player. The only unfortunate part of the experience — and I'm really nitpicking here — is that I have to rip the DVD to my computer, and then burn it to a new dual layer DVD+R without the region restriction. After that I can watch it on my PS3.

[quote name='Razzuel']No, this is a legit release by Sony Pictures International and Kodansha, and it's region 3. Also, Play Asia wouldn't sell bootlegs.

Nope, I don't have a region-free DVD player. The only unfortunate part of the experience — and I'm really nitpicking here — is that I have to rip the DVD to my computer, and then burn it to a new dual layer DVD+R without the region restriction. After that I can watch it on my PS3.[/QUOTE]

Why can't something like this be done with Denno Coil? It was one of the best recent anime I've seen. I would buy it and a region free DVD player immediately. Hell, I'd take a bootleg if it had subs.

I'm through the first two volumes of the second half of Ah! My Goddess. Still enjoying it. That second opening is amazing though. Love me some bagpipes.

Anyone planning on checking out any of the summer anime? I think I need to see High School of the Dead. There's also some anime based on a dating game, and those are usually a good time.

Looks like people who bought Toradora or Persona -trinity soul- might be sending their discs back to NIS.

[quote name='Anime News Network']NIS America, the American subsidiary of the Nippon Ichi Software game company, has announced a replacement program for people who have experienced video issues with its first two anime DVD releases —Toradora and Persona -trinity soul- - Volume 1 Premium Edition.

People who received the two releases began reporting issues on ANN, AnimeOnDVD, and NIS America's web forums earlier this week. The reported problems appear as interlacing and aliasing artifacts, although some home video setups minimize the appearance of these artifacts.

NIS America said that it reviewed the issues and agreed "that there is room for improvement." To that end, NIS America plans to re-master the affected DVDs and send the free replacements to customers who request them.
[/QUOTE]

Definitely not the start NIS was looking for as their first anime releases in NA.

For those wondering how bad the problems are, here's a link where the first post shows what's wrong with Toradora:
http://nisamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1736&start=10

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Anyone planning on checking out any of the summer anime? I think I need to see High School of the Dead. There's also some anime based on a dating game, and those are usually a good time.[/QUOTE]

Is it me, or does the lineup not look so great so far? Whatever Crunchyroll picks up I'll watch, but a lot of the shows look like throwaways based on the description.

Except of course High School of the Dead. Just the name has me interested ;).

And apparently some place I've never heard of will be streaming six of the summer shows free for one week after it airs.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-07-01/nico-nico-douga-streams-6-anime-right-after-airing

I don't know if anyone started Giant Killing, but I watched episodes 7 & 8 today, and finally I'm really starting to like it. It has a very slow pace, but the protagonist Tatsumi reminds me a lot of Onizuka (GTO) in his attitude, and I love it. Some of the characters on the team/management are generic, but a lot of them are memorable too (Tsubaki). Since it's new, it also looks very good.

The opening is also really catchy the more you listen to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9dROJcwhjg

[quote name='the_punisher']Is it me, or does the lineup not look so great so far? Whatever Crunchyroll picks up I'll watch, but a lot of the shows look like throwaways based on the description.

Except of course High School of the Dead. Just the name has me interested ;).

And apparently some place I've never heard of will be streaming six of the summer shows free for one week after it airs.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-07-01/nico-nico-douga-streams-6-anime-right-after-airing
[/QUOTE]

I'ven't been impressed by most of the stuff coming out for the past couple years, really.

Also, Nico Nico is like the Japanese equivalent to YouTube. It's huge.

That opening was pretty sweet.

And here's the trailer for High School of the Dead for anyone who hasn't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl6cNSBg3Wg

bread's done
Back