* * * * * 7 votes

Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

#2281 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 2.6 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:52 AM

It's been announced that Hayao Miyazaki has retired from making feature-length movies.

And today the world wheeps as one. Man, what a visionary, words can't describe my love of the things he's created ^_^

Hey, you look like you have a lot of money; how about donating some of it to my Extra Life drive?

#2282 DNukem170   I plan 3 times faster than other birbs! CAGiversary!   7095 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:59 AM

So, I have been watching some Sentai releases lately and I have to wonder, are they using new facilities from the ADV days? It seems like the Sentai dubs have worse direction from the ADV days and have a number of technical issues like lines being a half second late and several reactions undubbed at all. Didn't ADV used to own its own studio?

#2283 tangytangerine   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3778 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

tangytangerine

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:10 AM

So, I have been watching some Sentai releases lately and I have to wonder, are they using new facilities from the ADV days? It seems like the Sentai dubs have worse direction from the ADV days and have a number of technical issues like lines being a half second late and several reactions undubbed at all. Didn't ADV used to own its own studio?

Yeah, they still have their own studio that they use(could've sworn they have 2 studios).  But I've noticed that for years. 

Plus the way they encode their DVDs hasn't changed since the ADV days back in the mid-00's.  As they seem to have a somewhat muted color compared to stuff that Funimation puts out or even Bandai did during their last few years.  Which kinda tells that they haven't upgraded their equipment in a long time.  Even Aniplex/NISA/Nozomi does a better job on their releases than Sentai.

I guess one thing that can be blamed on missing subtitles is that they're rushing out so many titles(that's why they didn't delay Medaka Box until the error was found out after they sold copies at Otakon).  But it just seems like lazy QC to me.

#2284 DNukem170   I plan 3 times faster than other birbs! CAGiversary!   7095 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

It's not missing subtitles, it's missing dub lines. A character will make a big statement, and the character's shocked reaction will be missing.

Also watching Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny HD Remaster. I had forgotten how much recycled animation the show used. Also, disappointed that Perfect Strike had nothing more than a glorified cameo after all the in-show hyping.

And Durandal calling the Impulse a highly efficient Mobile Suit system? LOL!

#2285 PimpLimp   Pimpin Aint Easy CAGiversary!   1464 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

PimpLimp

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:44 PM

Promo for the new HSD Kenichi OVA:

It seems like it's going to cover the Apachai/Elder backstory and give us our first look at Sho Kano.

#2286 Panda Wizardry   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2589 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Panda Wizardry

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:28 AM

Did Funimation ever release more than the 1st 2 seasons? Do they have any plans to release more?

Also, started watching bodacious space pirates and fully expected to hate it and give up after 1 episode. I've actually enjoyed the 1st 2 episodes and it seems like something that I'll enjoy all the way through.

Please check out my channel: Alan Bytes Back!

MyAnimeList

#2287 DNukem170   I plan 3 times faster than other birbs! CAGiversary!   7095 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:29 AM

No, FUNi only released Seasons 1 and 2. Neither on Blu-ray.

#2288 Danger Zone: Archer   Not really here. CAGiversary!   2650 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Danger Zone: Archer

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:42 AM

It's not missing subtitles, it's missing dub lines. A character will make a big statement, and the character's shocked reaction will be missing.

Also watching Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny HD Remaster. I had forgotten how much recycled animation the show used. Also, disappointed that Perfect Strike had nothing more than a glorified cameo after all the in-show hyping.

And Durandal calling the Impulse a highly efficient Mobile Suit system? LOL!

Quick question: what's the difference between the OG version to Hd version ? Does it have new dialogue? added scenes? 

50kermit.giftumblr_n9z0r22HLi1rn2chmo1_250.gif

#2289 DNukem170   I plan 3 times faster than other birbs! CAGiversary!   7095 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:00 AM

There are one or two minor dialog differences but nothing major. A lot of footage from the TV Movies was edited in, some scenes were redone (moat notably Sword Strike in Episodes 3 and 4 and Nicol's death), the clip shows were junked (with the George Glenn stuff moved to the next episode), the 2nd and 3rd ending themes of SEED are replaced (though Find the Way does make 2 appearences), the openings have the Gundams model numbers and pilot names during the pilot/MS spotlights, the shot of naked Murrue in the openings was redone, a few shots of Shinn were added to the second half of the series, and there is a LOT of pimpage of Perfect Strike. Though Mu only uses it on Earth and doesn't really take advantage of the Sword Strike parts. Though despite showcasing the IWSP in the eyecatch, Strike Rouge still only uses the normal Aile Striker Pack in the final battle.

Sadly, most of the cases of recycled animation and the majority of the flashbacks remain in the show.

#2290 tangytangerine   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3778 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

tangytangerine

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:38 AM

It's also apparent in the first episode that for the subtitles that all they did is reuse the subtitles from the DVDs Bandai released(timing and all).  As the HD one has a remix of the 1st ED song, but the subtitles start about 30 seconds before any vocals(as original version started earlier). 

Yeah, that's another thing with the HD, as some of the songs are changed or remixed.  Like the 2 EDs mentioned above are swapped out.  Fields of Hope(in Seed Destiny) & Seed's 1st ED get remixed(referred to as "retracks" in the credits).

Did Funimation ever release more than the 1st 2 seasons? Do they have any plans to release more?

Not sure if they'll license more.  On a recent ANNcast, they hinted that Season 2 didn't sell well when asked about more of it coming out here.

#2291 moon_knight   Gotta Have Blue Hair CAGiversary!   764 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

moon_knight

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:27 AM

Saw the latest episode of One Piece on toonami. Nami is being super dumb.

#2292 Mega Man   SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT CAGiversary!   17122 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

But her tits doe.

#2293 moon_knight   Gotta Have Blue Hair CAGiversary!   764 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

moon_knight

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:55 PM

They only help a little.

#2294 detectiveconan16   Batbutt. So Jealous. CAGiversary!   5617 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

detectiveconan16

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:18 AM

Dammit! Otomo was right, until he decided to revise the dates a decade later. In the original Akira, the Tokyo Olympics was going to take place in the year 2020, and in real life that is so. Fuck ing Tetsuo!

Batsugunner.png

#2295 Danger Zone: Archer   Not really here. CAGiversary!   2650 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Danger Zone: Archer

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:28 AM

There are one or two minor dialog differences but nothing major. A lot of footage from the TV Movies was edited in, some scenes were redone (moat notably Sword Strike in Episodes 3 and 4 and Nicol's death), the clip shows were junked (with the George Glenn stuff moved to the next episode), the 2nd and 3rd ending themes of SEED are replaced (though Find the Way does make 2 appearences), the openings have the Gundams model numbers and pilot names during the pilot/MS spotlights, the shot of naked Murrue in the openings was redone, a few shots of Shinn were added to the second half of the series, and there is a LOT of pimpage of Perfect Strike. Though Mu only uses it on Earth and doesn't really take advantage of the Sword Strike parts. Though despite showcasing the IWSP in the eyecatch, Strike Rouge still only uses the normal Aile Striker Pack in the final battle.

Sadly, most of the cases of recycled animation and the majority of the flashbacks remain in the show.

Thanks. You just saved me from 30 + hours of re-watching G:S and G:SD

50kermit.giftumblr_n9z0r22HLi1rn2chmo1_250.gif

#2296 DNukem170   I plan 3 times faster than other birbs! CAGiversary!   7095 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:46 AM

Yea, SEED Remaster is more like Eva Platinum than the Rebuild films.

#2297 Cojiro   Change of Heart CAGiversary!   1230 Posts   Joined 2.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:07 AM

Reading Sanctuary, so far it's really good. Definitely my type of art style. It's a manga about Yakuza = )

TurtleGTX.png

sig.gif

#2298 genderbreak   what am i doing CAGiversary!   360 Posts   Joined 2.2 Years Ago  

genderbreak

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

Halfway through Gyo. Read Uzumaki last weekish. Junji Ito is an interesting man.

Edit: Gyo was... horrifying.

don't touch me

#2299 DNukem170   I plan 3 times faster than other birbs! CAGiversary!   7095 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

Going through SEED Destiny HD Remaster...I think the biggest problem with the series is that they tried to make it a standard Gundam show about soldiers and their immediate superiors and completely ignoring the political side of things. Unlike other Gundam shows, we have several main characters who are politicians yet never have them actually doing anything political on screen. Durandal does some in the early goings but drops off later, Djibril just sits on his ass all day petting his cat, Lacus becomes a petty officer, and Cagalli gets kidnapped and even before then apparently had no political allies at all.

It also doesn't help that regular joes are considered one giant mass all thinking the same. Everyone living in Atlantic Federation territory are racist against Coordinators, all Coordinators hate Naturals, and we never see how anyone in Orb not named Todaka feels about being in the Earth Alliance. Never mind what ZAFT citizens thought about the Destiny Plan. Granted, they rarely do this in other Gundam shows, but again, the focus was on one particular group, whereas Destiny forced its 5 main groupings (Federation, Logos, ZAFT, Orb, and the Archangel) into 2 and a half groupings.

The story of SEED Destiny was just too large in scope for the production staff to shoehorn it into a standard Gundam formula.

#2300 Cojiro   Change of Heart CAGiversary!   1230 Posts   Joined 2.5 Years Ago  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

Halfway through Gyo. Read Uzumaki last weekish. Junji Ito is an interesting man.

Edit: Gyo was... horrifying.

Gyo was horrifying? Now I want to see it for meself :)

TurtleGTX.png

sig.gif

#2301 genderbreak   what am i doing CAGiversary!   360 Posts   Joined 2.2 Years Ago  

genderbreak

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:15 PM

Gyo was horrifying? Now I want to see it for meself :)

I thought it was a lot scarier than Uzumaki. I think the last extra at the end of volume 2 was my favourite part though.

don't touch me

#2302 Cojiro   Change of Heart CAGiversary!   1230 Posts   Joined 2.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

I wish they would just hurry up with releasing more Liar Game, the art at first is bad but it gets better. And the story to me is damn good. That and Black Joke by Masayuki Taguchi.

TurtleGTX.png

sig.gif

#2303 PimpLimp   Pimpin Aint Easy CAGiversary!   1464 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

PimpLimp

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:37 PM

Here's a clip from the new episode of the Code Geass: Akito the Exiled OVA

#2304 Cojiro   Change of Heart CAGiversary!   1230 Posts   Joined 2.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:21 PM

Weird I never knew they still made Code Geass, people tell me I'll like it since I like Death Note a lot though.

TurtleGTX.png

sig.gif

#2305 elessar123   "AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER." CAGiversary!   10903 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:59 PM

Weird I never knew they still made Code Geass, people tell me I'll like it since I like Death Note a lot though.

Spoiler

elessar123.png

#2306 DNukem170   I plan 3 times faster than other birbs! CAGiversary!   7095 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:12 PM

No, Geass has giant robots. Death Note has shinigami.

#2307 themaster20000   You sleeping yet? CAGiversary!   2238 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

themaster20000

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:35 AM

Decided to start trimming down o the anime backlog,and started with El Hazard:The Wanderers. The show doesn't nothing special at all,but is just a very fun and enjoyable show.It has one of the best villians in Jinnai who has probably one of the best evil laughs in a show.

ezgif.com-resize.gifezgif.com-resize1.gif

1429202050351.jpg

#2308 wuulee  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:26 AM

I must say EVA rebuild has broken my heart, totally raped so much of the story ='(

629833.png

76561198139786670.png

#2309 wuulee  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:30 AM

Here's a clip from the new episode of the Code Geass: Akito the Exiled OVA

i still am not on the wagon with the addition of CG in anime

629833.png

76561198139786670.png

#2310 Mega Man   SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT CAGiversary!   17122 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:46 AM

No, Geass has giant robots. Death Note has shinigami.

gundam shinigamis?