* * * * * 7 votes

Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

#2821 Rodimus   I'm Different CAGiversary!   11628 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago   Has been playing Hyrule Warriors
Wii U

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:34 PM

As of now it would be: Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Welcome to the NHK, Fooly Cooly.

Actually, that's a pretty mainstream list. I didn't expect that.

#2822 moon_knight   Gotta Have Blue Hair CAGiversary!   753 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

moon_knight

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:37 PM

What did you expect?

#2823 DNukem170   Pikaburger! Use Meat Shield! CAGiversary!   6459 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago   Has been playing Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All
DS

DNukem170

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:42 PM

Mirage of Blaze, Sherlock Hound, Princess Nine, Flame of Recca, and Hyper Doll.

#2824 Rodimus   I'm Different CAGiversary!   11628 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago   Has been playing Hyrule Warriors
Wii U

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:35 AM

Honestly I was expecting crap I never heard of before. Well I did expect Evangelion on your list given your avatar. 

#2825 moon_knight   Gotta Have Blue Hair CAGiversary!   753 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

moon_knight

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:38 AM

Like I said, I'm no hipster. I just happen to dislike some really popular anime and I like the majority of anime I've seen.

#2826 Rodimus   I'm Different CAGiversary!   11628 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago   Has been playing Hyrule Warriors
Wii U

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:54 PM

Not really anime related but I'll be leaving for a trip to Japan on Wednesday. I'm staying in the Shinjuku area and I'll be there for a couple weeks. I'll hit up Ikebukuru a few times. They have a pretty cool store called Animate which has nothing but anime/video game merchandise.

No plans to go to Akihabara this time around but I have been trying to convince my wife to go with me to a maid cafe but she wont budge. I'm not really into that stuff but I just want to go for shits and giggles. She doesn't mind if I go but I really don't want to go alone, looks kinda sad. But I have been to the Gundam Cafe which was cool.

My main itinerary is food. Ramen, sushi, sabu sabu, yakiniku, takoyaki, monja, and of course convenience store crap. Probably go out drinking a few times and order some bar food.

I'll also visit Kyoto and Osaka for a few days. It should be fun but the travel day is going to kill me.

#2827 DNukem170   Pikaburger! Use Meat Shield! CAGiversary!   6459 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago   Has been playing Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All
DS

DNukem170

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:50 AM

Whenever I pass by the Maid Cafe at Otakon, the line is made up of at least 75% women.

Then again, there was also a big line at the Panty & Stocking stripper pole at the FUNimation booth.

#2828 Kirin Lemon   世界を革命する者 CAGiversary!   4845 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Kirin Lemon

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:22 AM

Not really anime related but I'll be leaving for a trip to Japan on Wednesday. I'm staying in the Shinjuku area and I'll be there for a couple weeks. I'll hit up Ikebukuru a few times. They have a pretty cool store called Animate which has nothing but anime/video game merchandise.

No plans to go to Akihabara this time around but I have been trying to convince my wife to go with me to a maid cafe but she wont budge. I'm not really into that stuff but I just want to go for shits and giggles. She doesn't mind if I go but I really don't want to go alone, looks kinda sad. But I have been to the Gundam Cafe which was cool.

My main itinerary is food. Ramen, sushi, sabu sabu, yakiniku, takoyaki, monja, and of course convenience store crap. Probably go out drinking a few times and order some bar food.

I'll also visit Kyoto and Osaka for a few days. It should be fun but the travel day is going to kill me.

Animate is a chain, so you might come across more than just the one in Ikebukuro.  Almost all of them have the exact same inventory, though.

I'd offer to show you around the Osaka area, but my schedule is a bit hectic these next couple weeks.  There's so much to see and do in Osaka and Kyoto - have a good time!

Posted Image

#2829 Rodimus   I'm Different CAGiversary!   11628 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago   Has been playing Hyrule Warriors
Wii U

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:18 AM

Thanks for the offer. My father in-law is from Osaka so I'll have a pretty good guide, but we're just going to be there 1 day.

Any good place to recommend for takoyaki or pretty much just any street vender will do?

#2830 Emoney244   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1464 Posts   Joined 2.4 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:10 PM

So has anyone seen "Monster"? I've read about half of the manga about 7 years ago but I'm wondering how the anime is?

Emoney244.png

2aSLTKu.png

Thank you for pulling your heads out of your asses Sega. 

#2831 genderbreak   what am i doing CAGiversary!   248 Posts   Joined 1.7 Years Ago  

genderbreak

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:09 PM

BlzuuY5IcAAvbaG.jpg

Link to the tweet.

don't touch me

#2832 Kirin Lemon   世界を革命する者 CAGiversary!   4845 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Kirin Lemon

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:53 PM

Thanks for the offer. My father in-law is from Osaka so I'll have a pretty good guide, but we're just going to be there 1 day.

Any good place to recommend for takoyaki or pretty much just any street vender will do?

Takoyaki is everywhere in the Osaka area, and it's all pretty much equal.  Or at least, I haven't had any that's truly exceptional among the rest - it's all delicious.

So has anyone seen "Monster"? I've read about half of the manga about 7 years ago but I'm wondering how the anime is?

One of my absolute favorites!  The anime is probably the most faithful manga-to-anime adaptation I've ever seen.  Some people complain that the anime is slow-paced, but I think it's just perfect.  If you want to experience the story in a new way, it's worth your time.

Posted Image

#2833 DNukem170   Pikaburger! Use Meat Shield! CAGiversary!   6459 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago   Has been playing Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All
DS

DNukem170

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:25 AM

The anime was neverfully released in America, though. If you want to watch it legally you'll have to subscribe to Neon Alley or have a region-free DVD player.

#2834 HeroToTheMasses   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1121 Posts   Joined 2.5 Years Ago  

HeroToTheMasses

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:52 AM

Monster is thrilling! I watched it all the way through and although it's slow, I found it nail-bitingly effective. It's basically a manga / anime if Hitchcock was into that kind of thing.

#2835 elessar123   96.5% more WUB WUB CAGiversary!   9585 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:01 AM

The anime was neverfully released in America, though. If you want to watch it legally you'll have to subscribe to Neon Alley or have a region-free DVD player.

Unfortunately. I remember when they showed it on SyFy.

elessar123.png

#2836 Kirin Lemon   世界を革命する者 CAGiversary!   4845 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Kirin Lemon

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:57 AM

That was the single greatest crime Viz has ever perpetrated.  I'm upset about it to this day.  If there's *one* anime out there that I really want to own that I don't (aside from the first 15 episodes), it's Monster.

Did they pull it from Netflix?  I still have the English rips from the Sy-Fy broadcast downloaded, thankfully.

Posted Image

#2837 DNukem170   Pikaburger! Use Meat Shield! CAGiversary!   6459 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago   Has been playing Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All
DS

DNukem170

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:00 AM

They stopped the releases because nobody bought the damn thing.

#2838 Gden   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2263 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:07 PM

Finally, I finished Angel Beats, and Kids on the Slope.  Angel Beats was kind of meh, it had some decent, funny parts, but the ending was very overplayed.  Kids on the Slope was pretty fun to watch, but, really?  Did we really have to have that happen in the second to last episode (or last episode, whatever).  

Spoiler
I just started Penguindrum, and WHAT THE CRAP?!  And, for reference, yes, I've seen Utena, though it's been years.

I'm not changing my signature until Busou Renkin, and Trizenon get licensed.
FC: Pokemon Pearl - 1160-6253-4611
Posted Image

#2839 Sway   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2707 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:58 PM

So I subbed earlier this week to Netflix to jump on the Attack on Titan bandwagon. I really dislike that post play screen that pops up at the end of each episode because I enjoy the credits and preview to the next episode. I know you can disable the next episode from playing but it appears you can't disable the screen that shrinks what you're currently watching and shows the text describing the next episode. Any way to deal with that or am I just going to have to click on the episode I'm currently watching to continue the credits/next episode preview?

As for Attack on Titan, I'm enjoying it so far.  I am kind of thrown off by the early twists (up to ep 9 at the moment) but I'm intrigued on how it all works out.

#2840 Gden   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2263 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:41 AM

I watched Wolf Children, today.  I liked it a lot, but the ending was very errant, and felt forced.

I'm not changing my signature until Busou Renkin, and Trizenon get licensed.
FC: Pokemon Pearl - 1160-6253-4611
Posted Image

#2841 HeroToTheMasses   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1121 Posts   Joined 2.5 Years Ago  

HeroToTheMasses

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:43 AM

The whole show is a spoonful of twists. I enjoyed it. Maybe not as much as some others but I understand what there is to like about it.

I also am just about done with Street Fighter 2 V. It started off great and was a lot of fun. But these last 5 episodes have just felt like a lot of stalling. Three episodes of Ken chained to a table was pretty shitty watching.

#2842 DNukem170   Pikaburger! Use Meat Shield! CAGiversary!   6459 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago   Has been playing Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All
DS

DNukem170

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:45 PM

Just saw the designs for the Sailor Moon reboot. They definitely are going for more manga-accurate designs this time. Sailor Moon has her barettes, Venus has her chain belt, and everyone is way taller than in the previous anime. It also looks way more shoujo than before.

#2843 dragoon99   Objection! CAGiversary!   903 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:59 AM

I never read the manga so I'm not used to these new designs.

The Sailor Senshi look a bit too tall to me. I'm sure I'll get used to it though.

I loved Sailor Moon back in the day it was one of my first Anime.

#2844 dragoon99   Objection! CAGiversary!   903 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:07 AM

Berserk is finally back. About damn time Miura!

Oh my gosh I know! I was shocked to see an update for it this month.

I've been waiting for the entire hiatus. Been reading it for probably 3 or 4 years now.

Anyone who comes in to read Berserk after it's completed will have it easy.

I've never experienced a manga with such long pauses before, it's torture but it's worth it.

#2845 DNukem170   Pikaburger! Use Meat Shield! CAGiversary!   6459 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago   Has been playing Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All
DS

DNukem170

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:41 AM

I never read the manga so I'm not used to these new designs.
The Sailor Senshi look a bit too tall to me. I'm sure I'll get used to it though.
I loved Sailor Moon back in the day it was one of my first Anime.

The manga is quite good. A bit more violent and there are way more attacks than in the original anime.

The plot moves at breakneck speed (Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask find out each other's identities in the beginning of Volume 2), though, so I am curious what the series' pacing will be.

#2846 Cage017   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2479 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:29 AM

Saw the first episode of Attack on Titan earlier. I'm impressed by what I've seen so far. I don't know how they managed to have a wall that big but it certainly didn't matter based on what happened.

gallery_474050_8161_3173.jpg

"Designed By Lilchiji"

#2847 moon_knight   Gotta Have Blue Hair CAGiversary!   753 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

moon_knight

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:00 AM

AoT was solid, kinda cheesy at parts.

#2848 SynGamer   Welcome to Night Vale CAGiversary!   8543 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:22 AM

Saw the first episode of Attack on Titan earlier. I'm impressed by what I've seen so far. I don't know how they managed to have a wall that big but it certainly didn't matter based on what happened.

Just wait. More questions pop up without answers as the series goes on :P AoT was entertaining, but as far as plot holes/explaining goes, it could have been fleshed out more.

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#2849 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 2.1 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:44 PM

I feel like I'm the only one who really disliked AoT. Cook-cutter characters just don't do it for me...

Hey, you look like you have a lot of money; how about donating some of it to my Extra Life drive?

#2850 moon_knight   Gotta Have Blue Hair CAGiversary!   753 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

moon_knight

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:03 PM

^Looks like I'm not the only anime hipster on here :p