Amazon buys Woot

I have a feeling that Amazon bought them not because they see it as a profitable company, but because they see it as a good business model to address some gaps in their supply side model - I bet a lot of Amazon overstock will start being sold on Woot, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

[quote name='BattleChicken']I have a feeling that Amazon bought them not because they see it as a profitable company, but because they see it as a good business model to address some gaps in their supply side model - I bet a lot of Amazon overstock will start being sold on Woot, which is not necessarily a bad thing.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully it won't become cumbersome though - the best part about Woot is that it is easy to navigate and it's generally one thing for sale per day.

I really want to know the purchase price - does the founder of Woot ever have to work again? It's such a simple business plan.

[quote name='javeryh']Hopefully it won't become cumbersome though - the best part about Woot is that it is easy to navigate and it's generally one thing for sale per day.

I really want to know the purchase price - does the founder of Woot ever have to work again? It's such a simple business plan.[/QUOTE]

According to Woot itself (http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=13389) Woot will remain an independent subsidiary of Amazon - like Zappos - and the management should be the same. The CEO has no current plans of leaving, so it seems.

I think all this is going to mean for Woot's customers is Amazon.com overstock merch and possibly better shipping times/options. Time will tell, though. Amazon wouldn't have bought Woot if they didn't see the value in how Woot currently works; Buying Woot only to turn around and ruin what makes it appealing would be a foolish move, and Amazon seems to have learned from it's past mistakes.

Don't know how many CAGs out there are also rabid Woot fans (I'm guessing a lot of you) but yesterday they announced becoming an "independent subsidiary" to Amazon.

What does this mean for Woot.com and its customers? Maybe nothing. Or maybe some earth-shattering changes (Good or bad).

BTW, the first item they put up after the announcement... The Amazon Kindle, at a great price at that! Personally I am in favor of having a potentially larger supply of great cheap items, but I hope being part of a giant company won't kill Woot's spirit. Please please keep the BOC!!!

How do you guys feel about it? Any predictions?

Check out the news here:
http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=13390

I doubt they'll change much personally. Amazon's pretty good about "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" business practices.

Been following Woot for years, but never actually purchased anything from them. I've just never seen anything for sale on their site that I just had to have at the price. Maybe things will change now that it is part of Amazon.

When Amazon purchased Woot, did they only have to pay $5 for shipping?

"Boom, we got acquired by Amazon, so no more rollin' in late with our pajamas on"

[quote name='BattleChicken']I bet a lot of Amazon overstock will start being sold on Woot, which is not necessarily a bad thing.[/quote]
I'd raise that bet by saying they've already sold a ton of Amazon overstock on Woot over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two of my favorite shop sites. I guess this is a good thing. I just hope Amazon doesn't fuck with Woot too much as I love the way it currently works.

I just bought a new laptop and 3 shirts from last weeks Wootoff.

I've still never managed to snag any bags of crap though. =(

[quote name='Kerig']I'd raise that bet by saying they've already sold a ton of Amazon overstock on Woot over the years.[/QUOTE]

If they had Amazon overstock before, Woot would have paid actual money for it. If they have it now, they will get it free, or it will be funny money inter-division transactions so it would still be a very different situation.

[quote name='Puffa469']I've still never managed to snag any bags of crap though. =([/QUOTE]

I was (un)lucky enough to get one during the USB Woot-Off Lights BoC. You buy the lights, and if the last two digits of your order number matched the dow jones somethingorother for that day, you also got a BoC with the lights.

I received 3 mediocre used DVDs (everyone got the same) and a santa stocking. I was happy that my Woot-off lights worked, many complained theirs were busted or they didn't even get them at all with their BoC.

In for 3 Hulk Smash! board games tonight on kids.woot for $11.98 shipped.

bread's done
Back