My comic shop had Marvel Universe Series III cards from 1992!

emdub

CAGiversary!
And I bought some! I may just finish my collection yet.
I don't have a real camera, but here are some crappy pics anyway:

5lnbkh.jpg

$1.95...I think that's the original price from 18 years ago.

33nyypt.jpg

Opening pack 1: Looks like the Punisher is in there.

5p262r.jpg

The rest of pack one:
All Hulks Unite, Spider-Man and Human Torch team-up, Shadowcat, Quasar, Punisher, Days of Future Past, Warpath, Iron Man Epoch and two Dark Phoenix Sagas...oh, and also....

v7wqci.jpg

A fucking VENOM HOLOGRAM!!

2j2g9zd.jpg

Pack 2:
Rogue, Gambit, Mr. Fantastic, Thanos, Darkhold Redeemers, Maelstrom Zarkko, Silhouette, Wolverine and Daredevil team-up, Nightcrawler, Captain Britain and a Checklist.

2mdl9is.jpg

Pack 3:
Another Daredevil/Wolverine, two more Mr. Fantastics!? Dammit!, Origin of Iron Man, Psylocke, Polaris, Origin of Wolverine, Origin of Captain America, Coming of Galactus, Thing, another Silhouette, and the Green Goblin.

...Kind of lackluster, though I did really need that Wolverine Origin.

jzbfjc.jpg

Last pack:
Cerise, Cyclops, Captain America and Nomad team-up, another Punisher, Serpent Society, Pantheon, Darkhawk, Wolfsbane, X-Men (Blue Team), Morbius, another Coming of Galactus hidden behind him, and X-Tinction Agenda.

Commence nostalgia!
Also...who want's to do some trading?

I am 48 cards away from a complete collection.

The guys at the shop said they had a huge box of 'em in the back left over from 18 years ago. I'm gonna see if I can pick up some more next time I go.

are those worth anything because i have some of those as well as those cards they used to give out with wizard magazine. merry xmas you hump lol i love that card.

I don't think they're worth all that much, especially individually. Even full sets aren't going for that much (I just checked ebay). Those Marvel Masterpieces from 1992 painted by Joe Jusko are a bit more sought after, but again, I don't think anybody's buying individual cards. I did see a sealed box of the 1992 Masterpieces being sold for $120.

[quote name='emdub']I don't think they're worth all that much, especially individually. Even full sets aren't going for that much (I just checked ebay). Those Marvel Masterpieces from 1992 painted by Joe Jusko are a bit more sought after, but again, I don't think anybody's buying individual cards. I did see a sealed box of the 1992 Masterpieces being sold for $120.[/QUOTE]

I wish I'd waited till the marvel masterpieces to start collecting. Those were awesome.

I think I gave all of my marvel cards to the retarded kids.

Series 2 & 3 were by far the best. I never did get all of the hologram cards for the second set, but I had a full set of Series 3 cards. Thanks for the nostalgia.

Probably would be worth more down the road if they were unopened packages. Pretty cool find if nothing else for nostalgia.

To bad they arent worth a shit.

Comic shop I work at we have tons of the marvel/ds/topcow/image/star wars/star trek cards in the back and no one would give a squirt of piss for them. We have people constantly coming in with a stash of them and we turn them away because we simply couldnt sell them or do anything with them.

Back in the 90s the market got so damn flooded with cards that the entire market got over saturated and everyone stopped caring, they never recorvered after that. Whole trading card market went down the crapper.

Occasionally you could get maybe 10 bucks from some nostalgic person on ebay wanting a whole set of the first series, but for the most part the card sit on ebay over priced and no one is buying.

[quote name='Bonesinski']Probably would be worth more down the road if they were unopened packages. Pretty cool find if nothing else for nostalgia.[/QUOTE]

If an unopened package is still being sold for $1.95 after almost 20 years, I can't imagine their value will ever go up. But that's not why I bought them anyway.

[quote name='gargus']
Comic shop I work at we have tons of the marvel/ds/topcow/image/star wars/star trek cards in the back and no one would give a squirt of piss for them. [/QUOTE]

Got any Marvel Universe Series III or Marvel Masterpieces? How many 'squirts of piss' do you want for them?

Hated series 3, two I thought was the best after the humble beginning of the first series.

I think series three was the set where if you held the sealed pack face up, you could pick away at the plastic to see if the top card was a hologram. That was the easiest way to get the holograms.

I remember the way to get the holograms in the first DC set was to go for the middle packs of a newly opened box. Take one of the four stacks, count how many there were, and grab the middle ones. Always a winner before shop owners wised up and mixed up the packs when opening a new box.

I think there was another cheat with Marvel series two or four but can't remember. Something about rubbing your nail against the corners of the sealed pack because the hologram corners were cut different.

Either way, I have tons of full sets of each of these 90's series sitting around somewhere. Eventually I'll sell them all to pick up a 360 game.

lol my friends and i were talking about these cards yesterday cause I picked up a box of series 2 and 4 on ebay. if you guys are still interested, bunch of people are still selling them on ebay. you just got to find the right price for them.

[quote name='emdub']
Got any Marvel Universe Series III or Marvel Masterpieces? How many 'squirts of piss' do you want for them?[/QUOTE]

Now that you've shown interest, he'll probably jack up the price to several squirts of piss and make you throw in a pinch or two of poo.

I collected tons of these and other comics cards. Had complete sets of quite a few, I remember really liking the Marvel Masterpiece sets. The Marvel vs DC and Amalgam sets were cool too. I remember that many of the hologram cards were thicker than normal ones, so friends and I would feel to see if we could tell a pack was thicker than normal.

Awesome. Childhood memories are flooding into my brain. I still have the complete set in of these in a binder somewhere. I would blow my entire allowance on these cards every week. I think Ron Lim did most of the art for those cards. Probably my favorite artist when I was a kid. They're very cool and it's a great find.

I bought a complete box of Marvel Universe Series II off eBay a few years back for like $20. I was very disappointed in the fact that I couldn't complete the set. It seemed like the cards were not randomly boxed. I kept getting the same cards over and over while other cards weren't showing up.

I'd love to get a box of Marvel Masterpieces series 1 or 2. In fact I'm off to eBay too see what I can find.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those MU Series 3 cards are what got me into comics. I don't even remember why - my mom bought me some from the grocery store one day randomly and it took off from there. Went and bought my first comics within the next few weeks and have been going ever since. I'm pretty sure I have all of them, including the holograms. Also went overboard buying series 4 as well, which didn't impress me as much. From there it was onto the Mark Bagley-drawn Spider-Man series...bought a couple of boxes of those, but i think that was the end of my card buying.

Had a shirt with the Erik Larsen drawn Venom from that series 3. It was a concert-worn favorite for many years.

I'm pretty sure I have all the cards (minus holograms) from series 1-4 in a card album at my mother's place. I bought packs every time I had spare cash. I remember the guy at the local comic shop had albums you could go through to buy individual cards, or trade 2 for 1. Good times.

I remember when it was a half day at school and my friend bought a box of these. He opened them and gave me some of the duplicates. Probably got around 100 cards for free. I thought series 3 was pretty awful with that space design and the lackluster art from C list artists. Series 1 was nice and had a retro feel to the art, 2 had an ugly design. DC's entry was horrible.

check out scans of the complete set at marvel:
http://marvel.com/news/all.1089.make_mine_marvel~colon~_marvel_universe_cards_series_1

X-Men Series 1 (picked up a tin set for like $10 seven years ago) had to be the best series ever. Awesome Jim Lee art when he was in his prime, cool cerebro concept with a graph to display power levels.

I would be interested in a Carlos Pacheco set or Francis Yu set. Pretty much the artists that handled x-men when I stopped following comics.

I remember these cards. I've got a complete set sitting the basement showhere. I also remember those Marvel Masterpiece sets. Each pack came in its own little box and was about $5 a pack......which back then made them incredibly expensive for a pack of cards.

Good times.

[quote name='BillyBob29']I remember these cards. I've got a complete set sitting the basement showhere. I also remember those Marvel Masterpiece sets. Each pack came in its own little box and was about $5 a pack......which back then made them incredibly expensive for a pack of cards.

Good times.[/QUOTE]

I think you're thinking of the Flair series. Marvel Masterpieces still came in normal packs.

Man, I have so many full sets of Marvel cards from this era...

a good bunch of those cards are drawn by Savuik. I have them in binders too. missing a couples. got doubles of some holograms if you are interested in trading.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I think you're thinking of the Flair series. Marvel Masterpieces still came in normal packs.

Man, I have so many full sets of Marvel cards from this era...[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's it. Flair. That was a great series.

I remember suckering a little comic book store is Missouri into trading me a box of Flair series in exchange for an Alien Platinum comic......that turned out to be worth virtually nothing about 6 months later.

I have this set and the sets for series 1+2. I sold a few hologram cards for like $5 each a few years ago. I wonder if the sets are worth anything.

bread's done
Back