- - - - -

Dragon Quest IX free Slime hat @ Best Buy

#31 Fearbeard   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   235 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:27 AM

TRU has a $15 GC supposedly on Sunday, Day 1.

Damn... closest TRU is 40 miles away... I'd lose most of my savings in gas.

Oh well.. I'm hopeful something will appear in the Sunday Ads.

Games Completed -  2014 - 2013 - 2012 
Game Spending List -  2014 - 2013 - 2012

#32 Broseph   Mischievous Badger CAGiversary!   290 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:45 AM

It's no slime hat or $15 gift card- but tonight I picked up a free DQ9 promo book in the electronics department.

It's full color, packed with 17 pages of Toriyama art and general info about the game.

It's slightly larger than a DS case- would have been nice to tuck inside the case with the actual game but, oh well. Just a fun extra to pick up next time you need some Dr. Thunder.

#33 super_dawn   i ♥ DQ CAGiversary!   1195 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:13 AM

It's no slime hat or $15 gift card- but tonight I picked up a free DQ9 promo book in the electronics department.

It's full color, packed with 17 pages of Toriyama art and general info about the game.

It's slightly larger than a DS case- would have been nice to tuck inside the case with the actual game but, oh well. Just a fun extra to pick up next time you need some Dr. Thunder.

...oh at TRU?

...I'm on the fence about getting this game right out of the gate anyway. I love DQ but I've always seen the ds games drop a lot in price a few weeks/month later. Plus I'm still trying to finish up Hand of the heavenly Bride. ....But if that TRU $15 gc is true...guess I'll be buying it sooner than I thought.

Guybrush: At least I've learnt something from all of this.
Elaine: What's that?
Guybrush: Never pay more than 20 bucks for a game.

:3ds: my 3DS friend code is: 1934-0672-7017 ---Animal Crossing: Msg me if you add! thx!

Animal Crossing Villager Outfits Follow me:  superdawn3.tumblr.com

ChocDeathMousse.jpg

#34 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   2626 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago   Has been playing Superman
N64

The Dead Texan

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:11 PM

I'm gonna be fighting off the chicks with a stick once I wear this mofo.

One at a time, ladies.

#35 mastagoalie   long live games and 420 CAGiversary!   355 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

mastagoalie

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:35 PM

still need to see if that is true.. sounds too good to be true

Watch it be

Buy a DS lite with dq9 get 15
BUY a DSI with Dq9 get 25

why would they almost cut the game in half day 1

so you come back and spend your money with them. I didn't think the answer was that hidden... maybe I am just logical? Maybe I have just gone crazy and the answer came that way.

Good luck to all on getting a good deal on this game!
-Masta

#36 2DMention   Cyberpunk CAGiversary!   3809 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:46 PM

I was going to go to TRU for this, but I think I'll risk it and try a price match at Best Buy. I want that hat. I'm a sucker for DQ Swag (Even if it ensures virginity).

Free Baseball Cap

The incredibly popular Dragon Quest franchise returns with its ninth action-packed installment, Sentinels of the Starry Skies, which releases July 11 for Nintendo DS.
From July 11 – 31, 2010, buy this game as a Reward Zone® program Gamers Club member, and we’ll mail you a free baseball cap, emblazoned with the game’s eye-catching original artwork.
Ball cap quantities are limited to the first 7,500 Reward Zone Gamers Club members who buy this game, so order yours today.
Posted Image
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
Nintendo DS

Available while supplies last. Please allow 4 – 6 weeks for delivery. Items may ship separately.

I'm confused. It implies that you have to buy it online, or is this in store too?
Posted Image

#37 Reira   Excited for dual audio in Type-0 CAGiversary!   322 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:05 PM

I also thought the actual hat was a slime.

But some good laughs in this thread!

Wants more QUARTET★NIGHT in Uta noPrince-sama Maji Love Revolutions

My manga review blog: Daiyamanga

#38 lunker   Fished out CAGiversary!   552 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:50 PM

When I think "nerdy DQ hats," I'm reminded of these bad boys (from NCSX):

Posted Image

I always wanted the green one. :(

#39 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   2626 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago   Has been playing Superman
N64

The Dead Texan

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:54 PM

I'm confused. It implies that you have to buy it online, or is this in store too?

I emailed BB about this a couple days ago, and they said that you can buy it in-store. Just make sure to use your RZ card/account when paying, and you'll be registered in getting one. Hopefully you're one of first to do so.

#40 An J0e   CAG CAGiversary!   714 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:36 PM

Really... Nobody at all.... ..... fine ill do it.

Posted Image

#41 fei33   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   528 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:59 PM

...oh at TRU?

...I'm on the fence about getting this game right out of the gate anyway. I love DQ but I've always seen the ds games drop a lot in price a few weeks/month later. Plus I'm still trying to finish up Hand of the heavenly Bride. ....But if that TRU $15 gc is true...guess I'll be buying it sooner than I thought.

Heya, super_dawn. How have you been since quitting HWV?

I checked the Toys R Us ad thread and it appears to be true, and that the DS-i promotion is that on Sunday, you can get a $25 gift card for buying a DS-i and Dragon Quest IX. Since I own a DS Lite, I'm just going to be purchasing this for the $15 gift card. 8-)

Generally, I would agree with you on the trend of DS game prices dropping like bricks, but I think of it more as a general reflection of how video game prices drop. The only exceptions I see to this are flagship Nintendo titles on the DS and Wii, which tend to be evergreen titles. Oh, and Atlus DS games tend to retain value for quite a while also. (Which, the Shin Megami Tensei games on DS are superb).

I wonder whether it would be possible to get a price match at Best Buy for the Toys R Us ad, while still getting the Slime Hat from the Reward Zone Gamer Zone. It might be worth a shot and if anybody is going to get a free hat, it might as well be a CAG, right? ;)

#42 Gregalor   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5164 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:04 PM

Four words:

Comic Con
Tag Mode

I pretty much HAVE to get this right away. Gonna get me soooo many maps.

#43 eau   KP-X 00-00-00-00-1 CAGiversary!   7301 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:06 PM

You do realize that your sentence is missing a noun right? To some uneducated what? I think you might be one of those uneducated PEOPLE.

I do. My grammar may not be perfect or I wrote with 'people' inferred but at least I know how to spell correctly.

Back on topic, I actually like the hat. I find the dragon quest slime to be a very iconic character. I love my DS stlyus with the slime on the end.

You mean this?
Spoiler

You can replace your DS stlyus...I mean stylus...with one of those Slime styli ;)
"Woah! This pain feels so good! So good!" — Albedo / Xenosaga

#44 Broseph   Mischievous Badger CAGiversary!   290 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:11 PM

Oops, in regard to my earlier post (it was like 3am, my bad) the promo book with all the art that I picked up was at Wal Mart.

#45 loc0bob   Now I'm playing with power! CAGiversary!   283 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:28 PM

Oops, in regard to my earlier post (it was like 3am, my bad) the promo book with all the art that I picked up was at Wal Mart.

Hey no need to apologize, if somebody didn't pick up on where you were at from your Dr Thunder reference then by hell they deserve to be hung from their balls in the middle of a small old wild west style town while being forced to drink awesomely cheap ass wanna-be mainstream sodas (yes that is correct english) like Mountain Mist and Dr Pop. I mean come on, how can you declare yourself to be a cheap ass gamer if you dont drink the cheap ass drinks!?!? What has this world come to!!?!?

On topic, I could probably photoshop (or for that matter, create with my own hands) a better hat than this crap. I mean who was the bright person who came up with this master plan? I can buy better hats made by a guy at my local flea market who only has one hand with 3 fingers.
Currently Playing
PS3 - Nada
PS4 - LBP3, COD Ghosts, BF:Hardline, NHL 15, MLB 14
X360 - Nada
XB1 - NBA2K15
Recently Beat - Dying Light, Far Cry 4, Alien Isolation, The Evil Within, Walking Dead S2

#46 leungw   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   88 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:27 PM

I got one from Gamestop. The book is very nice considering that it's free.

#47 eau   KP-X 00-00-00-00-1 CAGiversary!   7301 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:32 PM

I don't recall seeing this advertised as a preorder bonus. Was it prepackaged with the game or separate?

#48 Kirin Lemon   世界を革命する者 CAGiversary!   4901 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Kirin Lemon

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:37 PM

I don't recall seeing this advertised as a preorder bonus. Was it prepackaged with the game or separate?

Well, considering the game isn't out until Sunday... :roll:
Posted Image

#49 eau   KP-X 00-00-00-00-1 CAGiversary!   7301 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:50 PM

^^^

My bad. I thought the game came out on the typical Tuesday schedule. The said book isn't on the gamestop website. So I wonder if it was before, or it is an unadvertised gift.

#50 Traitorious   Shunts to the face CAGiversary!   533 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Traitorious

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:35 PM

^^^

My bad. I thought the game came out on the typical Tuesday schedule. The said book isn't on the gamestop website. So I wonder if it was before, or it is an unadvertised gift.

Sunday release hmmm. SE must be assuming that America will shut down like JP does if they release a DQ game during the work week :lol:

#51 tim_pkmn89   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   640 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

tim_pkmn89

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:44 PM

Nope, it's because Nintendo's in charge of this one.

#52 Guest_eastshore4_*

Guest_eastshore4_*

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:35 PM

Re: the pamphlet/book: the Gamestops should have them out on the counters with the other flyers and such. I'm a jackass... I saw one at my store and for some reason thought you had to pay for it or you got it with the preorder or something but I guess they're free

To some uneducated, that blue thing on the hat just looks like a pile of shit..

Maybe if you're a smurf.

#53 Traitorious   Shunts to the face CAGiversary!   533 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Traitorious

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:00 PM

Nope, it's because Nintendo's in charge of this one.

Bleh, forgot Nintendo was handling publishing duties for NA. Maybe someone at SE told Nintendo to release it on Sunday for joking reasons stated above.

#54 Gregalor   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5164 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:31 PM

Oh cool, so this comes with Club Nintendo points, too? Sweeeet.

#55 Saraquael   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   170 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:01 AM

Four words:

Comic Con
Tag Mode

I hadn't thought of that. I may have to get that now since I'll be at the con every day.

#56 rainking187   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1919 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

rainking187

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:07 AM

I saw a bunch of these at Target yesterday but didn't pick one up for some reason.

#57 super_dawn   i ♥ DQ CAGiversary!   1195 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:52 AM

Heya, super_dawn. How have you been since quitting HWV?

I checked the Toys R Us ad thread and it appears to be true, and that the DS-i promotion is that on Sunday, you can get a $25 gift card for buying a DS-i and Dragon Quest IX. Since I own a DS Lite, I'm just going to be purchasing this for the $15 gift card. 8-)

Generally, I would agree with you on the trend of DS game prices dropping like bricks, but I think of it more as a general reflection of how video game prices drop. The only exceptions I see to this are flagship Nintendo titles on the DS and Wii, which tend to be evergreen titles. Oh, and Atlus DS games tend to retain value for quite a while also. (Which, the Shin Megami Tensei games on DS are superb).

I wonder whether it would be possible to get a price match at Best Buy for the Toys R Us ad, while still getting the Slime Hat from the Reward Zone Gamer Zone. It might be worth a shot and if anybody is going to get a free hat, it might as well be a CAG, right? ;)

thx for asking! actually I've been doing even better now that I'm not working at hwv! haha...its really nice to not work two jobs anymore. I got a promotion at my current job which enabled me to afford it too.

Thanks for the info....yea I'm definitely gonna attempt the price match at bb. It's worth a shot and more because I already have a bb gc to use which would help. the hat...eh, ha ha!

Four words:

Comic Con
Tag Mode

Ah yea...but I'm just not certain how well its going to work. I live in a large enough city, but very very spread out.

Guybrush: At least I've learnt something from all of this.
Elaine: What's that?
Guybrush: Never pay more than 20 bucks for a game.

:3ds: my 3DS friend code is: 1934-0672-7017 ---Animal Crossing: Msg me if you add! thx!

Animal Crossing Villager Outfits Follow me:  superdawn3.tumblr.com

ChocDeathMousse.jpg

#58 langdon_alger   Phlebitis! CAGiversary!   770 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

langdon_alger

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:16 PM

Soo, I just bought the game at BB, used my RZ card. Anyone who has done this, did you get any notification (on your receipt or something) that you're getting the hat? I have no idea if I'm getting one or not, if we have to rely on the RZ site or BB, lord help us all.

#59 floormat   psn id: floormat CAGiversary!   1661 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:05 AM

the hat is under the special offers section in the gamers zone section once you log into the reward zone site. Basically says the same thing as the first post but just giving a fyi to further legitimize this offer.

#60 Magikarp830   SPLASH had no effect CAGiversary!   281 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Magikarp830

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:28 AM

When I think "nerdy DQ hats," I'm reminded of these bad boys (from NCSX):

Posted Image

I always wanted the green one. :(

Sweet hats...

I don't get it: Why do you people think these hats would HAMPER your scoring? You realize a cute slime is a lot more likely to win a lady than some gay Baseball hat, right?

Let's see some COOL hats posted: I'd really like to see what's "wearable" and not wearable by CAG standards...

(Maybe it's the type of ladies we're talking about: if you're after the type that prefers pure testosterone-stereotype, you should skip on the hat and just spray yourself with piss! :lol: My lady would find the Slime hat cute!)