60-page, full-color art book with pre-order of Etrian Odyssey III

Traitorious

CAGiversary!
Supposed limited supplies according to the Atlus Faithful email that went out this afternoon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...mp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B003S55EX2
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=78397

Amazon is currently the only retailer that has a blurb about this artbook on the product page so far, but I assume the other retailers listed in the email (GS, Walmart, Buy.com, goHastings, VideoGamesPlus, HMV) will put up something about it eventually.

With Atlus' more recent track record on pre-order bonuses, it may be safe to say that if you pre-order you will probably receive the book.

Last edited by a moderator:
eo3_faithful_artbookreveal_1aa.jpg

Sweet!
Were there any other US promo items for I & II?

I got into the series fairly recently, and was wondering if I missed any goodies for the earlier games.

[quote name='ItsAMeAMario']Sweet!

I got into the series fairly recently, and was wondering if I missed any goodies for the earlier games.[/QUOTE]No, but thankfully this book covers the whole series, so it makes up for it.

[quote name='ItsAMeAMario']Sweet!

I got into the series fairly recently, and was wondering if I missed any goodies for the earlier games.[/QUOTE]

No, but there are several figures that were made for Japan. I have the Medic.

[quote name='botticus']No, but thankfully this book covers the whole series, so it makes up for it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='doodofdoods']No, but there are several figures that were made for Japan. I have the Medic.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the quick replies! :)
The book is gonna be awesome.

Perfect timing - I was just mulling over whether to order this game or not. This was just the incentive I needed to make up my mind! 29.99 for a new-release DS game and a good art book is too sweet a deal to miss. Thanks for the heads-up!

I'm gonna pre-order this as well.

This is in sharp contrast to the greedy NISA which charges an extra $10 for their exclusive pre-order artbook bundles, and slaps expensive shipping on top of it.

[quote name='eau']I'm gonna pre-order this as well.

This is in sharp contrast to the greedy NISA which charges an extra $10 for their exclusive pre-order artbook bundles, and slaps expensive shipping on top of it.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. Not to mention falsifying production numbers and screwing people out of advertised bonuses.

I own the first two, but have yet to even start them. Pre-ordered anyway.

Peace Walker
Persona 3 Portable
DQIX on Sunday
Valkyria Chronicles 2
Ys Seven

and now this. Yeah, no idea when the hell I'm gonna finish any of these.

*BEEP* YEA! I was going to pre-order this anyways since I loved EO1&2 and can't wait for EO3. Now I'll probably order 2 copies just cause it comes with an artbook to boot!

[quote name='Tom Ato']Just pre-ordered. Hopefully my dungeon crawling burnout from Strange Journey will be over by September.[/QUOTE]
So true. Though I need to get back to the 2nd Etrian Odyssey before that if the carry over feature from Etrian Odyssey 1 to 2 will be in 2 to 3.

[quote name='Slermy']Oh man, I was going to try to wait, but that art book looks great. Pre-ordered.[/QUOTE]

Was a day 1 for me, now I'm just wondering how many to get =D

[quote name='Tom Ato']Just pre-ordered. Hopefully my dungeon crawling burnout from Strange Journey will be over by September.[/QUOTE]

same here. but strange journey is incredible.

[quote name='Serpentor']not hardcover, pass...[/QUOTE]
Have any NA DS releases had hardcover books? I know the ones I have pre-ordered that have had art books have not, but are there any games out there that did? Actual serious question.

[quote name='Traitorious']Have any NA DS releases had hardcover books? I know the ones I have pre-ordered that have had art books have not, but are there any games out there that did? Actual serious question.[/QUOTE]

I won't know, i'm not a fan of the series. It's just an individual thing. I like hardcover books in general.

[quote name='Traitorious']Have any NA DS releases had hardcover books? I know the ones I have pre-ordered that have had art books have not, but are there any games out there that did? Actual serious question.[/QUOTE]

I don't recall any. Luminous Arc one was soft cover, Laevatin was soft cover. What else even had an artbook?

[quote name='elessar123']I don't recall any. Luminous Arc one was soft cover, Laevatin was soft cover. What else even had an artbook?[/QUOTE]

LUX-PAIN had a soft cover artbook and I believe Knights in the Nightmare had one too.

I pre-ordered Etrian Odyssey III as soon as I heard there was an artbook, it was already going to be a day one purchase since it comes out on my birthday. :bouncy: It will definitely compliment my Sekaiju no MeiQ Official Art Works book.

[quote name='elessar123']I don't recall any. Luminous Arc one was soft cover, Laevatin was soft cover. What else even had an artbook?[/QUOTE]

Knights in the Nightmare had one. Nostalgia also had one, but I think it was very limited and you had to send in proof of purchase instead of getting it as an automatic bonus.

Artbooks are my absolute favorite kind of preorder bonus so I'll preorder and hope that this recent college graduate has employment by the time it comes out :lol:

[quote name='Serpentor']I won't know, i'm not a fan of the series. It's just an individual thing. I like hardcover books in general.[/QUOTE]
Come on. It is FREE!

You want hardcover bonus? You'll love NISA's pre-order bonus hardcover artbooks but they will charge you $10 for one plus another $10-ish for shipping.

[quote name='eau']Come on. It is FREE!

You want hardcover bonus? You'll love NISA's pre-order bonus hardcover artbooks but they will charge you $10 for one plus another $10-ish for shipping.[/QUOTE]

I know... it's so tempting comparing to other artbooks. 60 full pages is a real treat, i guess i shouldn't be too harsh on a "freebie" (that is if you pre-order the game now). I'll think it about, thanks OP for bring it up.

[quote name='Fearbeard']Sweet, didn't even know the game was being made... Love the first two.[/QUOTE]

Hasn't it been out in Japan for a while now?..

Awesome. I ordered mine. If nothing else I can hock the book online for an extra discount.

I haven't played the first two, though I wanted to. Think I should play those first? I know there's some continuation of some sort, but I heard it was minor.

[quote name='enDyne']Awesome. I ordered mine. If nothing else I can hock the book online for an extra discount.

I haven't played the first two, though I wanted to. Think I should play those first? I know there's some continuation of some sort, but I heard it was minor.[/QUOTE]

You don't need to, and if you get the first two they'd probably take at least a year before you'd even get around to the third. Don't get me wrong, I love the series and it's one of my top 10 DS games - but I think it's a very monotonous, long game that has appeal to a small audience.

I played the first game for almost 7 months before I beat it - some long sessions, some short. When I get a craving for a dungeon crawler EO is where I go, and I finally just opened the second one in the last few weeks and started playing it - I got both games in 2008.

The second one has nicer graphics, they made it harder get overleveled/over supplied (FOEs don't give experience) and I think it's a bit smoother. I don't think the changes are large enough to make it one of those games where you can't play the first after playing the second - so if you order III it'd be easy to go back and play I & II.

If you aren't a *huge* fan of Dungeon Crawlers, I'd recommend diversifying instead of playing 3 dungeon crawlers in one series. DS wise, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey uses the same engine, but is a completely different style of gameplay. Dark Spire has the similar type of gameplay as well, but in my opinion was much harder than EO/Strange Journey. The last mention I'd like to throw out there is Wizardy: The Forsaken Land for PS2. While vastly different from EO/Strange Journey/Dark Spire, it was an awesome game - and if you're new to the modern Dungeon Crawler games I'd highly recommend it.

If you do decide to go for the first Etrian Odyssey, one recommendation (warning - it may be a small spoiler regarding character customization) is to plan your character's skills out early on - ESPECIALLY if you ever want to beat the "bonus bosses" after the main plot. You can do something called "resting" your characters, but in the first it knocks your level down by half I believe? The second is only by 10 levels. This should save you literally 5-6 hours of gameplay - that's how long it took me to "fix" my characters once I noticed bad uses of skill points, wrong characters, and different builds.

Pre-ordered this as well. Love me some EO.

I really hope they make more statues / figures based on the characters in this game. I have a few characters from the first game.

I'm a little worried that they wont since the game is already out in Japan, but I don't recall the timing prior to now. Does anyone remember if the statues were announced / released at the same time the corresponding games came out in Japan?

[quote name='aeri']You don't need to, and if you get the first two they'd probably take at least a year before you'd even get around to the third. Don't get me wrong, I love the series and it's one of my top 10 DS games - but I think it's a very monotonous, long game that has appeal to a small audience.

I played the first game for almost 7 months before I beat it - some long sessions, some short. When I get a craving for a dungeon crawler EO is where I go, and I finally just opened the second one in the last few weeks and started playing it - I got both games in 2008.

The second one has nicer graphics, they made it harder get overleveled/over supplied (FOEs don't give experience) and I think it's a bit smoother. I don't think the changes are large enough to make it one of those games where you can't play the first after playing the second - so if you order III it'd be easy to go back and play I & II.

If you aren't a *huge* fan of Dungeon Crawlers, I'd recommend diversifying instead of playing 3 dungeon crawlers in one series. DS wise, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey uses the same engine, but is a completely different style of gameplay. Dark Spire has the similar type of gameplay as well, but in my opinion was much harder than EO/Strange Journey. The last mention I'd like to throw out there is Wizardy: The Forsaken Land for PS2. While vastly different from EO/Strange Journey/Dark Spire, it was an awesome game - and if you're new to the modern Dungeon Crawler games I'd highly recommend it.

If you do decide to go for the first Etrian Odyssey, one recommendation (warning - it may be a small spoiler regarding character customization) is to plan your character's skills out early on - ESPECIALLY if you ever want to beat the "bonus bosses" after the main plot. You can do something called "resting" your characters, but in the first it knocks your level down by half I believe? The second is only by 10 levels. This should save you literally 5-6 hours of gameplay - that's how long it took me to "fix" my characters once I noticed bad uses of skill points, wrong characters, and different builds.[/QUOTE]

Thank you kindly for the write-up, and the recommendations. :)

Truthfully the main pull of the game for me is that you can name and create your own party, choosing which classes everyone has and whatnot. I'm a sucker for that sort of customization, so anywhere that is I'm likely to be interested, regardless of genre. I haven't played a true dungeon crawler before, but I enjoy any challenge I can get!

Though your warning regarding EO1 made me wonder how easy it is to gimp your party. Are there classes that are broke and useless? Hmm.

After just scoring a semi broken DS Lite on Craigslist for $7, wall charger/car charger for 50 cent @ the flea market last weekend, it's time to get back to amassing my DS collection as I had once started. :twisted:

bread's done
Back