Favorite 360 RPG?

e hx c a s s

CAG Veteran
im a big fan of rpgs, my favorites are fallout 3, fable 2, sacred 2, bioshock and bioshock 2, mass effect and mass effect 2, and oblivion. whats another good rpg that you like, and is there any other rpg that has customizable characters that are good?

As a JRPGist, I loved Lost Odyssey and Eternal Sonata. Good games to pick up, shouldn't be too expensive.

Sounds like you mainly dig western RPGs, in which case I can't help ya. If you like JRPGs then definitely check out Tales of Vesperia.

[quote name='nnthomas']The Last Remnant[/QUOTE]

how was that game, I wanted to pick it up but didn't hear great things about it

[quote name='silversnake5']how was that game, I wanted to pick it up but didn't hear great things about it[/QUOTE]

Some might say it is my most favorite 360 RPG

seems like you enjoy rpg shooters and everyone is naming jrpgs which are really different. you should probably get borderlands if you have live. its very enjoyable.

[quote name='Khalid']Favorite - Infinite Undiscovery

Best - Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey[/QUOTE]
Ha, it's like you wrote my post for me.

Lost Odyssey for the more traditional JRPG. Fallout 3 if you're talking more along the lines of a role playing shooter.

[quote name='Khalid']Favorite - Infinite Undiscovery

Best - Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey[/QUOTE]

Although I wouldn't quite say IU is my favorite over Tales or LO. I can't argue with this, all three are great.

hehe. I love how these jrpg picks are all from 2008 and earlier and it's as if FFXIII never came out at all. What a time to be an RPGer!:lol:

I'd also recommend Borderlands, since the OP seems to love shooters. Beware though, it has almost no story to speak of and the world is very shallow, nothing like the RPGs you listed. It shares barren wastelands with Fallout 3 that's about all they have in common. It's all about shooting and leveling up, and does both excellently.

Dragon Age is probably what you're looking for next though.

FF13 is good, but its not even close to the best in the series or on the system. I just completed 100% last weekend and even when you get to chapter 11 where you can kind of free roam, if you're a completionist or OCD, it still ends up being linear because you take all of the missions in order.

Oh yeah, Star Ocean ranks high on my list too. Lost Odyssey then Star Ocean.

im not a big fan of jrpgs either i just dnt like the way they look i dont know why, no offense to people who favor them

[quote name='cin84_12']Oblivion hands down. Fallout isn't as good, Mass Effect stinks, and I hate the style of most JRPGs.[/QUOTE]

you're view on life upsets me. on a related note, i was just reading something on game informer's website on whether or not jrpgs are going the way of the dodo

I wanted to get into tales of vesperia because I loved symphonia (the first one, not the one on wii with whinny McFlashback as the main character) but never got around to it

Dragon Age or Alpha Protocol for Western RPG's

Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, and Eternal Sonata in that order for JRPG's. FF XIII is trash IMO and after hating 12 for different reasons, I'm done with the FF series.

[quote name='silversnake5']you're view on life upsets me. on a related note, i was just reading something on game informer's website on whether or not jrpgs are going the way of the dodo

I wanted to get into tales of vesperia because I loved symphonia (the first one, not the one on wii with whinny McFlashback as the main character) but never got around to it[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I don't like waiting 10 minutes to hit someone. Smack, smack, dead, loot is much better.

[quote name='cin84_12']Sorry, but I don't like waiting 10 minutes to hit someone. Smack, smack, dead, loot is much better.[/QUOTE]

It was mostly the mass effect part. I agree, better to be involved. turned based JRPGs are boring to me, too passive

[quote name='Xellos2099']Err the stupid dub in star ocean get annoying. Famous line: I PUSH THEM OVER THE EDGE![/QUOTE]

I find that game annoying. I hated all those cut scenes that lasted about an hour. I think I actually fell asleep during one.

I have yet to play a really bad one-Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, Mass Effect 1 & 2, Dragon Age Fallout 3 and I'm sorta currently working on Star Ocean. The Penny Arcade adventures area also pretty cool. I'd also recommend Sonic's Ultimate Collection, it's only $20 and has all the Phantasy Star & Shining Force games.

[quote name='silversnake5']It was mostly the mass effect part. I agree, better to be involved. turned based JRPGs are boring to me, too passive[/QUOTE]

Mass Effect was OK. It just felt really empty. There were all those planets to explore, but all you find on most is a bunker. Also, no matter how much I made my female Shepherd flirt with Kaiden, she ended up with the blue chick every time. I swear it was rigged.

[quote name='cin84_12']Mass Effect was OK. It just felt really empty. There were all those planets to explore, but all you find on most is a bunker. Also, no matter how much I made my female Shepherd flirt with Kaiden, she ended up with the blue chick every time. I swear it was rigged.[/QUOTE]

You forgot the horrid moon buggy.

[quote name='silversnake5']It was mostly the mass effect part. I agree, better to be involved. turned based JRPGs are boring to me, too passive[/QUOTE]

Tales of Vesperia isn't turn based.

[quote name='e hx c a s s']does anybody else know any good western ones that wreent mentioned yet?[/QUOTE]

Nah Mass Effect 1/2, Dragon Age, Fallout 3, and Oblivion are pretty much the torch bearers on 360. The Penny Arcade Adventures are pretty good ones on XBLA, some people really like Fable 2, and I think Alpha Protocol is a good pickup for $40 or less but beware its not a perfect game.

Your potential enjoyment of Alpha Protocol is fully dependent on how much the flaws of Mass Effect 1 specifically made you feel. If you didn't mind the math-based calculations on shots and loading/texture issues then you'll enjoy the game (beware that in AP they're more issues than ME 1, but I still think it's a good game.)

There is that Risen game that I think Shipwreck enjoyed and you might like Metro 2033 if you liked Fallout 3 (apparently the game is more fun on easy vs. normal/hard and there's no difficulty-based achievements.) Also the new Lara Croft XBLA game in August is actually going to be like the Baldur's Gate/Champions of Norath/XMen Legends/Marvel Ultimate Alliance style overhead action-RPG's if that interests you.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='e hx c a s s']does anybody else know any good western ones that wreent mentioned yet?[/QUOTE]

You should get Fallout 3 or Borderlands if you need something right now.

If not, wait for Fallout: New Vegas ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28EFHmQedPo

and as far as JRPGs go, I hated Infinite Undiscovery, couldn't get into Tales of Vesperia for some reason (though the art/graphics were amazing), really liked Eternal Sonata (feel this is one of the least talked about JRPGs, yet one of the best I've played this gen, graphics are amazing, gameplay is simplistic yet rewarding and engaging, and the story is interesting and well written, highly recommend even for non JRPG fans as I'm not the biggest but this was an easy game to play and it's fun), and I'm loving FF13 so far.

whats next a person calling CoD an RPG because it has perks

[quote name='e hx c a s s']im not a big fan of jrpgs either i just dnt like the way they look i dont know why, no offense to people who favor them[/QUOTE]
the only game you like thats an rpg that doesnt have guns in oblivion... guns doesnt = rpg to me(except maybe fallout 3). i mean bioshock1/2..... really thats an FPS adventure game nothing about it is role playing unless you consider playing a character to be role playing THEN EVERY SINGLE GAME THAT HAS YOU PLAYING A CHARACTER = AN RPG BY THAT LOGIC.. and all the games you mention ONLY have rpg elements(like leveling/choosing) and arent even true rpg in anyway shape or form beyond that.

how is mass effect 2 an rpg? its more of a 3rd person action shooter with a plot. let me guess the excuse is that your role playing the main character!! ive only played a little of fable 2 while it was repetitive it seems to have an rpg feel and probably is.

the western world and the eastern world have complete different interpretation of what an rpg is i guess.

[quote name='DrSodaberg']Uh, what?[/QUOTE]
how is bioshock1/2 an rpg..

and if anyone say its because your playing "A ROLE" then every single video game where you play a character in essence = an RPG by that logic

Hey needle dick, I posted that BEFORE you edited your post to include anything more than "what next yadda yadda yadda."

And Mass Effect 2 I understand the skepticism as far as being an "RPG." But the level at which you sculpt your character's appearance and demeanor is like nothing we've seen before, and in that sense, I can consider it an RPG of new sorts.

i wasn't to shocked by mass effects character appearance editing. it was cool and new. but ive been doing that in wwe games for 10 years. whats amazing about mass effect is the choices and different possible changes to the plot or the story is what makes it something ive never seen before. like if you chose a different upbringing it changed the whole experience. the skills you learn and use, customizing his looks as well. this game is/like an rpg to me as well (just not deep in some other areas)

whoaaahhhh relax its a game.. and role playing games is what i consider when you can do things that customize the character and customize how you play, instead of doing how the story expects you to play, you can find many ways, for instance bioshocks combat varys on the plasmids you choose, changing the gameplay for every player giving them different tactics and attacks, mass effect you can customize the character and even choose what you want to do instead of doing mission after chronological mission. every choice effects your game.

also another good rpg is red dead redemption

[quote name='e hx c a s s']whoaaahhhh relax its a game.. and role playing games is what i consider when you can do things that customize the character and customize how you play, instead of doing how the story expects you to play, you can find many ways, for instance bioshocks combat varys on the plasmids you choose, changing the gameplay for every player giving them different tactics and attacks, mass effect you can customize the character and even choose what you want to do instead of doing mission after chronological mission. every choice effects your game.

also another good rpg is red dead redemption[/QUOTE] im not the one calling people needle dick

plasmids are no different than guns
i can go into call of duty and use a noob tube or a sniper or a machine gun.... that doesnt make it an rpg. plasmids are just a weapon. you cant even customize them, sure you can level them up but thats not customiztion thats just level which is in LOTS of games like level stats for better stuff in CoD.. in mass effect you can customize your character and have certain skills and only those, in bioshock you just have plasmids which are just the left hands weapons and thats it

[quote name='e hx c a s s']also another good rpg is red dead redemption[/QUOTE] why becuase you collect flowers :)

rpg element /=/ rpg

from now On im calling call of duty an RPG becuase you can customize your character and do all sorts of different stuff

bread's done
Back