How do you stay informed?

dmaul1114

Banned
Figured it would be mildly interesting to see where other vs. forum posters get their news and commentary.

For me my main sources are:

Washington Post online
Ny Times online (and iPad app if the girlfriend's iPad is handy, also check the bbc and ap and USA Today apps on it, and the Fluent News aggregator)
Atlanta Journal Constitution or local news
Politico.com
Google News (my home page on all my computers
Podcasts of the Sunday morning shows (Meet the Press, Face the Nation, This Week)
CNN.com
Newsweek.com (used to subscribe, but don't have time/interest to read a weekly magazine anymore)

One thing I would be interested in hearing from others is recommendations for other good news/politics podcasts.

BBC, NPR, Time, NYT, Spiegel, The Economist and HuffPo. The only TV I'll see for these purposes is PBS and Fareed Zakaria's show, seemingly the only thing worth watching on CNN. A pity it's only on once a week.

I have news feeds from cnn, bbc and a couple other places on my google homepage because I honestly dont give enough of a shit about news to bother looking for it, its all biased half assed lies, terror this or terror that, bad news constantly, some people bitching about other people and just a bunch of horseshit. So if something pops out at me on my google homepage Ill click it, if not then I dont bother.

Only news I bother searching for is science based news, for the most part anyway you dont find politics or peoples bullshit opinions in it. Science is beautiful because for the most part its either fact or speculation on facts, none of that tiresome shit you find in regular news.

Al Jazeera English. While CNN focused on Tiger Woods and iPad they cover actual news.

I also use sfgate but that mainly for local stuff

Whatever bullshit is on Yahoo.com's front page in the world section (usually AP stories)

I refuse to watch or read local news since it is almost always petty crimes, fear and things that make me want to kick my monitor in.

Last edited by a moderator:
online:
NYT
Cincinnati Enquirer (tho' I'm moving in 3 weeks, will need a new local news source)
Misc. liberal blogs via RSS feeds; probably read about 5% of what I get sent to me.

tv:
MSNBC became my default after watching CNN for years. CNN is bereft of news I care about, and overloaded on celebrity nonsense. The coverage of Michael Jackson's death a year ago was the breaking point for me. Though MSNBC isn't *great*, it's the least offensive news channel out there. Based on ratings, I think five people other than me watch it. heh.

I also worship at the altar of PBS' "Frontline," but that's kinda going beyond news and into documentary territory. Though their depth of reporting and turnaround time are still pretty impressive.

I really wish I had the time to sink into a subscription to The Economist again. Don't have enough time to devote to it weekly, making its somewhat steep asking price ($70/year? $100/year?) too high to justify.

So I'm really the only one watching FOX News? Really?

It's probably one of the best ways to figure out what issues Republicans think are important.

I flip around all of the major cable news networks, though I steer clear of Fox News 90-95% of the time since it's heavily skewed towards a right wing agenda.

But for the most part I watch Headline News, but only early in the morning(Morning Express w/ Robin Meade and largely ONLY for Robin Meade:drool:)or very late at night, since they have on far too much entertainment garbage otherwise.

Plus it doesn't help that half of the programming time on HLN is taken up by the Comcast Newsmakers segments that take up to 20 minutes per segment and pre-empt actual news coverage so politicians and businessmen can get on there and pat themselves on the back for all the 'good' they're doing. Why not pre-empt something that's truly worthless, like the 6 frickin' sports channels my basic cable setup is stuck with that I never fuckin' watch?:bomb:

Other than that I flip through the local paper but I really don't give a shit about the news 90-95% of the time anymore.

Talking Points memo
Nightly News with Brian Williams
BBC news (television version and online)
New York Times
Financial Times
Politico
I still listen to a lot of radio and usually have it tuned into NPR for most of the day.

Bomb it! My daily feed reads:

Above the Law: A Legal Tabloid - News, Gossip, and Colorful ...
Android and Me
Ars Technica
Baseball Analysts
Baseball Prospectus: Unfiltered
Beyond the Box Score
blogHOUSTON
Blogs | FanGraphs Baseball
Boing Boing
Boy Genius Report
Canvas Feelings
Chili Bob's Houston Eats
CleanTechnica - Technology Inspired By Nature
Clusterstock
Consumer Reports Cars Blog
Consumer Reports Electronics Blog
Crooked Timber Out of the crooked timber of humanity, no ...
DIY Life
EcoGeek.org
Engadget
Eschaton
ESPN.com - MLB
Ezra Klein
FanGraphs Fantasy Baseball
Fark.com RSS
FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right
Food in Houston
Gawker
Get Rich Slowly
Gizmodo
Homesick Texan
Houston Blogs: Houston Political Blog
Houston Business News - Local Houston News | Houston Business Journal
Houston Politics
Houston Press | Complete Issue
Houston Strategies
Houston Tomorrow
Houstonist
Jalopnik: Obsessed With The Cult Of Cars
Joystiq
Law Blog - WSJ
Lifehacker
Serious Eats: A Food Blog and Community
Slashdot
SlickDeals.net
Stepcase Lifehack
Swamplot: Houston's Real Estate Landscape
Swing State Project
Talking Points Memo
The Consumerist
the How-To Geek :: Computer Help from your Friendly How-To Geek
The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)
TheBloggess.com
The Economist
There, I Fixed It
True Blue LA - Where The Dodger Dogs Are Always Grilled
Wonkette
Xbox-Scene.com
xkcd.com

I do like NPR, unfortunately the Atlanta station only has NPR programming in the morining (when I tend to still be asleep) and in the evening from 3-7 or 8 when I tend to still be in the office. I do listen online in the office sometimes. The rest of the time it's a classical music station.

Also Engadget, ESPN.com and some other sports sites etc. if we're going beyond politics/news.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engadget and precentral.net are my two most visited sites by far.

I occasionally will flip on O'rielly factor, simply because it entertains me but I don't get any news from it. I also flip through random talk radio on my 7 minute drive too and from work, but most of it is local news.

In the past couple of years I have lost interest, severely, in the political going-ons in this country. I come here mostly for y'all's excellent company.

[quote name='Strell']That's what MORE GI Joe cartoons or for.

Geez javery, don't you know math?[/QUOTE]

All I know is that the metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!

Nice try javery, but you can't beat FoC. He goes around in his automobile expecting gas stations to fill it up with petroleum distillate while pushing for tire re-vulcanization in a post-haste like manner. "Beep beep, I'm a motorist!" he yells while careening down the sidewalk.

1. Right-wing bloggers, talk radio hosts, and other conservative media outlets start promoting and distorting the story.

2. Fox News picks up the story and gives it heavy, one-sided coverage.

3. Fox News and conservative media attack the "liberal media" for ignoring the distorted story.

4. Mainstream media outlets eventually cover the story, echoing the right-wing distortions.

5. Fox News receives credit for promoting the story.

6. The story is later proven to be false or wildly misleading, long after damage is done.

credit to mediamatters

for actual news, the local NPR outfit is pretty good.

for commentary, Jason Lewis usually (he's the only talking head on during my drive time) because he's the most sane right winger out there.

otherwise, yahoo headlines while at work and Fark for commentary because it's fun.

[quote name='gargus'] Science is beautiful because for the most part its either fact or speculation on facts, none of that tiresome shit you find in regular news.[/QUOTE]

I actually found this funny... since "either fact or speculation on facts" is pretty much what all news is.... the speculation means it's possibly not fact.

I also find all the people who attack fox as being biased (which they are... I'm not going to deny) but think that MSNBC are not. They're the ying and yang of cable news networks and both have way too much bias to take seriously as news networks. :roll:

NYT, and I usually hit google news to see if there is anything interesting happening that day. I do most of my reading online though if that matters.

I go to Drudgereport.com at least ten times a day.
If nothing comes up then I visit Instapundit.com

as for news commentary:
I watch O'Reilly, Stossel, and Fox
And regularly read articles from Thomas Sowell and Charles Krauthammer when they write

I also occasionally read articles from Townhall and The American Spectator plus some other sites.
However, with all this "right wing" information, I also occasionally watch BBC, NBC, ABC, MSNBC, etc. just to see what the other side is thinking.

Obama_Ape.jpg

This is absolutely not racist in any way whatsoever.

bread's done
Back